Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Do we have anyone from Indonesia on these forums? I think the Malaysian Archipelagians could get some more deserved airtime here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
Present. What are you guys asking? I'm far away from the haze though. Not much seems to be done other than Jokowi surveying the sites and ordering his ministers and the governors to do something about it. The problem is it's rather hard to check which are natural forest fires and which are deliberate. Instead they've been busy going over papers and permits of hundreds of companies. The local government is incredibly ineffectual. If this was a non-retarded country, the governor would've resigned after the reports of infant deaths. But nope. Most likely the party in power will get voted in again by the end of the year.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Which political parties are secular and/or liberal, which ones are conservative, and which ones are islamist? Furthermore, how large is the threat of an Islamist supremacy and theocracy in the near future?

wid
Sep 7, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Which political parties are secular and/or liberal, which ones are conservative, and which ones are islamist? Furthermore, how large is the threat of an Islamist supremacy and theocracy in the near future?

There is no political party that could be considered "secular". Then again, political parties in Indonesia is without a specific ideology. There are "nationalists" and "Islamists". But in that sense, any party that is not Islamic fell into nationalist criteria. There is not even right wing or left wing. The left wing was purged in 1965-1966 by Suharto after the coup and the surviving parties were his puppets and they had no ideology except "keep the status quo and Suharto in power". So think of political parties in Indonesia as a group of people vying for power and personnel can easily switch allegiance. So not unlike a high profile political gangs. Hell, most of the members were/are gang bosses because they got the man power to do things.

The threat of Islamist theocracy is real. It is probable but it does not have grassroot support. Indonesia is the largest Muslim country but they are moderates and actually closer to liberal due to 60+ years under Suharto where any extremism was curb-stomped. The surge of Islamic tendencies is still just pockets of minorities and mostly due to recent external influences. The biggest Islamic political party, PKS, managed to became large due to subterfuge where in the earlier times after Suharto's fall they claimed to be more nationalists than Islamists. The other Islamic parties never got any significant power even if they banded together (25% seats in parliament total, max). That sounds like a lot, except all these parties actually have different doctrines of Islam and some are quite moderate. PKS is gradually losing seats and votes when they came out and showed their true colors of being the most Islamic party among the rest. They're still highest among the Islamic parties though but the movement rejecting them is also getting stronger especially among the youth (which is ironic since their surge of growth is also due to youth movement). But the problem is actually not from the senate but executive branches where they managed to install their people. These extremists are slowly but surely introducing more and more retarded laws that is catered to Sharia law. But they had to not use that word since it's poison and would incite more resistance.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

wid posted:

There is no political party that could be considered "secular". Then again, political parties in Indonesia is without a specific ideology. There are "nationalists" and "Islamists". But in that sense, any party that is not Islamic fell into nationalist criteria. There is not even right wing or left wing. The left wing was purged in 1965-1966 by Suharto after the coup and the surviving parties were his puppets and they had no ideology except "keep the status quo and Suharto in power". So think of political parties in Indonesia as a group of people vying for power and personnel can easily switch allegiance. So not unlike a high profile political gangs. Hell, most of the members were/are gang bosses because they got the man power to do things.

The threat of Islamist theocracy is real. It is probable but it does not have grassroot support. Indonesia is the largest Muslim country but they are moderates and actually closer to liberal due to 60+ years under Suharto where any extremism was curb-stomped. The surge of Islamic tendencies is still just pockets of minorities and mostly due to recent external influences. The biggest Islamic political party, PKS, managed to became large due to subterfuge where in the earlier times after Suharto's fall they claimed to be more nationalists than Islamists. The other Islamic parties never got any significant power even if they banded together (25% seats in parliament total, max). That sounds like a lot, except all these parties actually have different doctrines of Islam and some are quite moderate. PKS is gradually losing seats and votes when they came out and showed their true colors of being the most Islamic party among the rest. They're still highest among the Islamic parties though but the movement rejecting them is also getting stronger especially among the youth (which is ironic since their surge of growth is also due to youth movement). But the problem is actually not from the senate but executive branches where they managed to install their people. These extremists are slowly but surely introducing more and more retarded laws that is catered to Sharia law. But they had to not use that word since it's poison and would incite more resistance.
Should the Western friends and allies of Indonesia intervene if things get theocratic fast? (If Indonesia has those)

wid
Sep 7, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Should the Western friends and allies of Indonesia intervene if things get theocratic fast? (If Indonesia has those)

No. There will be more resistance to that more than resistance to Islamification. Suharto's regime drilled us for 60ish years that we were conquered and oppressed by evil westerners (the Dutch) for 350 years (it's a lie) then 3.5 years under the Japanese (kind of, but not really). Western influence is viewed as a negative though everyone loves western products and culture.

On the other hand, it's almost impossible for a theocratic government to form without breaking apart Indonesia first. Sure, the majority of Indonesians are Muslims but from the many different branches. There are 2 major Islamic groups (more like associations) called Muhammadiyah and NU. NU is moderate and clashed often with extremist groups. Their base of power is central and eastern Java while the other is more western Java. Note that Java, while the most populated, is one island in the archipelago and has their own distinct culture and ethnic group. The other islands are different ethnic groups even the ones who are also mostly Muslims. To the east side of the archipelago, Islam barely reached there so they're mostly still animism and ancient traditions, like the dudes who bury their dead in the holes by a cliff. Bali is the last stand of Hindu culture while half of Sulawesi is Christian. Even if a theocracy of Islam is trying to gain power, it won't be able to gain popular support and most likely only relegated to Java. Indonesia is also thought to have a rather significant population of Ahmadis, a branch of Islam that's hated by the others because the founder claimed he was also a prophet. The government is trying to protect them but at the same time they don;t want to be labelled as supporters of "heretics". There's no separation of church and state in the Indonesian constitution but there's also no religion that is endorsed as the state's. The national symbol and slogan is also quite secular despite the mention of "God" and there are controversial stories of its formation that it used to include the words "Allah" and "Islam" but was removed by the founders.

The interesting part of Islam's history in Indonesia is that the majority of the conversion were brought and done by Chinese traders, mostly to Java. So it integrated into the local culture and beliefs, which were influenced by Buddhism and Hinduism before that, instead of completely eradicating them. A lot of historical sites and artworks were destroyed by the Islam conversion though, but some survived like the world heritage Borobudur. The influence of Middle-east flavor of Islam is a recent thing and mostly started on the north end of Sumatra. That is Aceh, the tsunami hit area and now the special autonomy province where they actually enacted sharia law.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Headed to see Jokowi speak in D.C. tomorrow. Apparently he had to cancel his San Fran stop because the haze has gotten so bad back home. Is this the worst it has ever been?

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Also, a USN destroyer is currently steaming through the South China Sea with both middle fingers held up at Chinese island reclamations http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0SK2AC20151026

wid
Sep 7, 2005

CronoGamer posted:

Headed to see Jokowi speak in D.C. tomorrow. Apparently he had to cancel his San Fran stop because the haze has gotten so bad back home. Is this the worst it has ever been?

It's debatable if it's worst ever but it is reaching Jakarta now so it's definitely more visible on the news. As well as people talking about it more since they'd like to blame Jokowi. Reminder that the last election was the first election where only 2 people are running for prez so it divided the voters into 2 camps and people here are very sore losers.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think the haze certainly longer lasting than most previous seasons.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
We're also having a drought/long summer. It's almost November already and just 5 years ago by October it would've been raining almost every day.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

wid posted:

We're also having a drought/long summer. It's almost November already and just 5 years ago by October it would've been raining almost every day.

Apa kabar, where are you from wid? I visited family mainly in Surabaya two months ago and I'm starting to visit Indonesia more regularly for my Master's degree.

Have you got any tips on good Indonesian news sites? I've been mainly checking The Jakarta Post and Jakarta Globe but I have no idea whether they are reputable or not.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Fragrag posted:

Apa kabar, where are you from wid? I visited family mainly in Surabaya two months ago and I'm starting to visit Indonesia more regularly for my Master's degree.

Have you got any tips on good Indonesian news sites? I've been mainly checking The Jakarta Post and Jakarta Globe but I have no idea whether they are reputable or not.

Those are my main two. I also check Antara news, bearing in mind that it's a state media outlet. And Rappler, even though it's a Philippine site, has an Indonesian section too- http://www.rappler.com/world/regions/asia-pacific/indonesia/english. Bonus is a number of articles in sort of simple Bahasa Indonesia if you're looking to practice.

edit: Oh, and also Tempo once in a while. http://en.tempo.co/

CronoGamer fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 30, 2015

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Where I'm at is kind of hidden in my avatar text.

Jakarta Post is pretty respectable with a slight liberal slant (I'd call it progressive). I don't have much experience with Globe but from what I've seen online they're pretty similar. The Post is bigger, I think, they are part of Kompas thus part of the Gramedia bookstores/printing conglomerate. I don't think there's any conservative/fundamentalist English news here.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Jakarta was bombed twice, just fyi.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
So are we all getting excited for the election in Myanmar this weekend or what

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

CronoGamer posted:

So are we all getting excited for the election in Myanmar this weekend or what

If by excited you mean waiting for the other shoe to drop then yes.

Also at the very least I hope Suu Kyi doesn't get assassinated.

Bro Dad fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 5, 2015

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
She doesn't even need to be assassinated. She has lost her near-mythic status in a lot of people's eyes and is now really just another (very popular) politician, but one that can't be president thanks to a ridiculous constitution. good luck revising that any time soon with the military keeping what is virtually an auto-veto on anything they don't like. so her plan now is (if NLD wins) to have someone else become president and she will tell him anything and everything to do. that's great but who wants to volunteer to be an open puppet president?

I dunno. I think NLD is gonna do well at the polls (assuming little to no irregularities) but I'm not confident in any major change. for more on why myanmar is hopelessly hosed up and thoroughly mired in corruption for the foreseeable future, check out the Global Witness report on the jade industry from last month. $31 billion-- that's with a b-- goes missing per year into the coffers of thugs and warlords inside Myanmar and outside. https://www.globalwitness.org/reports/myanmarjade/ That's half the GDP of the entire goddamn country just disappearing. Absolutely staggering.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
oops

CronoGamer fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 5, 2015

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
ignore this

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Sorry about that

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
QUAD DAMAGE

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Oh jesus. Sorry about those, site was all hosed up last night.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Now HOW are those Burmese election polls and voting going?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It's all over TV here. Productivity across all service and construction sectors has plummeted and Thailand is heavily concerned that it may have to supply its own labor force again. Perhaps there is a connection with why the Job Creators favor the AEC free movement of labor dealie do here :iiam: (though that won't extend to the jobs Burmese people do, I suppose).

I have been enjoying that it's all over TV with no sense of irony, but if I check Thai language sources I expect the spin will be something like, "See how a successful democratic election was possible only after reform under military rule?" so who knows.

As for results, nothing official yet that I know of. Just THE LADY saying that she's confident in what she's seen so far, which doesn't amount to a hill of beans. If you just stop and think about the logistics here it makes sense that it's going to take some time to sort out. img-ballot-box-13

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

ReindeerF posted:

As for results, nothing official yet that I know of. Just THE LADY saying that she's confident in what she's seen so far, which doesn't amount to a hill of beans. If you just stop and think about the logistics here it makes sense that it's going to take some time to sort out. img-ballot-box-13

Preliminary results are supposed to be coming in the next 6 hours or something but I don't think we'll have a full picture of what happened for at least a few days, especially if there was chicanery at the polls. I am certain that the NLD got a hell of a lot of votes but I'd be surprised if they got the 2/3 needed for the majority, or if the election commission will let them have gotten the 2/3.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Wow-- exit polls putting NLD support at 90%. http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/757868/myanmar-exit-poll-puts-support-for-nld-at-90

I would almost prefer they do well but not win outright. An entirely overwhelming victory like this is going to be hard for the Tatmadaw to swallow.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What the fuckity gently caress? I would've imagined election fraud steering the ballot towards the Tatmandaw, but never something like this...

COULD Aung Sang Syu Kyi actually become president now?

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Grouchio posted:

What the fuckity gently caress? I would've imagined election fraud steering the ballot towards the Tatmandaw, but never something like this...

COULD Aung Sang Syu Kyi actually become president now?

Not this time around. She's constitutionally prohibited because of family members with foreign citizenships. They'll have to choose someone for president before they can strike that clause (assuming the NLD is able to strike anything, because the tatmadaw have allowed it to play out). So she'd at best have to wait til next election in 2020.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Didn't I hear somewhere that they would select a puppet president that would act on behalf of ASSK? I swear I heard that recently but couldn't tell you from where.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I read a lot of smug style editorials with interviews with Burmese citizens talking about how great she was and how Faustus democracy was and how they'd vote for her so she could do whatever she wants and so checkmate progressives these east Asian types just don't understand democracy. Also Ang is obviously a political demagogue who's in it for personal gain just like the Dalai Lama.

I really need to stop discussing politics in Asia with my dad. He's still of the opinion that in terms of political corruption the UK odds looking worse than China since Xi is successfully cracking down.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Huge slam on the Dalai Lama out of nowhere!

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

You're on notice Malala!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I'll crosspost this here and in the chat thread without comment. Somehow I'd never seen this photo, but it's beautiful:

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

I'll crosspost this here and in the chat thread without comment. Somehow I'd never seen this photo, but it's beautiful:

Pretty sure you just commented, bro. CHECK AND MATE.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

eviljelly posted:

Pretty sure you just commented, bro. CHECK AND MATE.
Bike For Dad!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ReindeerF posted:

I think I've seen just him cropped out of this as a picture for someone's office or a calendar, but I've never seen the whole thing.

Neat picture, honestly.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
I'm always surprised there aren't more pictures of him doing things. Everywhere I go it's always the same pictures and I would just think that in the would be a hell of a lot more since it wasn't long ago he was active.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
I'm pretty lazy so I'll just post this

a friend of mine posted this treasure trove of Bhumibol the musician

honestly i think once thai milfs are posting your stuff on facebook the cat is truly out of the bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

What's up, Jakartagoons?

Channel NewsAsia posted:

Two reported dead in Jakarta bomb blasts
The explosions happened at a police post near the Sarinah shopping mall along Jalan Thamrin.

• Locked thread