Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
I actual belief this game will come out and will be playable.
But I didn’t read the one thousand comments a day topic here so I might be misinformed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
I'm really impressed they are getting so many people to pay so much for nothing. When this is all said and done and the smoke clears I hope someone does a book or talk no how this was all done.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

BeefThief posted:

Old School Internet Warlord Derek Smart vs. the BBC

Recall this article (with no author listed) posted several days ago: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34548609

From the end:

One million "players", this journalist gets an F

Yeah, we think Kate Russell* wrote it. Several people - including myself - tweeted her that the original was misleading. It was finally changed.

* http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1snlibp

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Romes128 posted:

Derek where the blog update I'm literally about to burst with anticipation

"Star Citizen - The Gizmondo Connection" was completed a few days ago and has been going back and forth with legal. I got some more feedback from legal yesterday about some stuff I need to source, remove etc. Hopefully it will be finished this weekend and posted with Mon or Tue.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Somewhere there's a venn diagram of "bitcoin enthusiasts" and "star citizen supporters" that is gradually becoming a perfect circle.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I want to believe it's real

:munch:

Heh it's not. Some Goon blew $10 for lols. That's totally hardcore man :)

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Gerbil_Pen posted:

A better gift than the fedora your father gave you?

Good point, but it is living up to the standards of that wonderful hat. Funny you mention it, that's the one I am wearing today.

Now let's talk about DOXXING. The reason that it is considered such an atrocity on the internet is NOT because 6 pieces of poo poo can harass you and "ruin" your life if they find out who you are. The reason is because of the online disinhibition effect. Something I talked about in the first months I was here (I believe April I used goons as an example in one of the AP psychology classes I taught last year and posted about it here.) Frankly, it's why I have NO problem having my actual picture or my actual name.

Here is a summary. Part of the reason people act like such pieces of poo poo on the internet is because they believe they have total anonymity and no real social repercussions outside of the "net." If people had to admit who they were on the internet they'd be a lot more accountable for their actions. Of course.... Ben seems to have hosed up the online disinhibition effect because everyone knows who he is and he's still acting like a piece of crap. HOWEVER, that could come under public persona so maybe it's not counted in the study. (disclaimer: I do not have a PhD in psychology just a degree in all of the social sciences. I am not a psychologist and my opinions are only slightly above the poo poo someone with a GED would spew)

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Szcwczuk posted:

I'm really impressed they are getting so many people to pay so much for nothing. When this is all said and done and the smoke clears I hope someone does a book or talk no how this was all done.

People will do dumb things for their dream space sim just like idiots will invest in lovely survival games.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Berious posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3ptdoi/xian_scout_owners_rejoice_our_patience_will_be/

Shitizens are dancing in the streets because a jpeg they have been waiting for is almost finished. It won't be flyable or even "hanger ready", just the jpeg is nearly ready and that's something to get excited about.

CIG are less productive than your average MMOHMO goon.
This requires the image being posted:

quote:

-bas relief language civilisation sign inspired - shiva wheel reference
-tpolygonal structure surface - complex reference to alien technology
-triangle black structure inspired by supersonic new jet geometric fractal pattern indicated civilisation signature
-leaf organic hole in the wings + bas relief trim lign civilisation
All the spelling mistakes are in the original. Buzzword + buzzword + spergword + buzzword lol

I have no words for how dumb that sounds. Also apparently everything that has a pattern and looks organic = fractal inspired

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Szcwczuk posted:

When this is all said and done and the smoke clears I hope someone does a book or talk no how this was all done.

I want to read an account from the upper management of this disaster juxtaposed against the people stuck working under their gross ineptitude.

Wondering just how many people Chris Roberts will put under the bus to try to not own up to his massive goof-up.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

looks like the bad ship from mass effect

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Wondering just how many people Chris Roberts will put under the bus to try to not own up to his massive goof-up.

He'll just put the bus under :lesnick:

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

joats posted:

People will do dumb things for their dream space sim just like idiots will invest in lovely survival games.

:iceburn:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Darkpriest667 posted:

Good point, but it is living up to the standards of that wonderful hat. Funny you mention it, that's the one I am wearing today.

Now let's talk about DOXXING. The reason that it is considered such an atrocity on the internet is NOT because 6 pieces of poo poo can harass you and "ruin" your life if they find out who you are. The reason is because of the online disinhibition effect. Something I talked about in the first months I was here (I believe April I used goons as an example in one of the AP psychology classes I taught last year and posted about it here.) Frankly, it's why I have NO problem having my actual picture or my actual name.

Here is a summary. Part of the reason people act like such pieces of poo poo on the internet is because they believe they have total anonymity and no real social repercussions outside of the "net." If people had to admit who they were on the internet they'd be a lot more accountable for their actions. Of course.... Ben seems to have hosed up the online disinhibition effect because everyone knows who he is and he's still acting like a piece of crap. HOWEVER, that could come under public persona so maybe it's not counted in the study. (disclaimer: I do not have a PhD in psychology just a degree in all of the social sciences. I am not a psychologist and my opinions are only slightly above the poo poo someone with a GED would spew)

This is such a fascinating and unique point you are making and 2001 totally didn't call, because it wants its pop psychology back.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Darkpriest667 posted:

I can also echo this statement. Not that i go out of my way to be an idiot and plaster my personal info everywhere, but there is nothing wrong with owning your words. Whatever, its never going to be THAT hard to track me down and make me own my words, yep i loving said em, and if i need to apologize or whatever then so be it. But the cowardly punk bitch methodology of hiding behind a digital shield and feeling like a big tough guy and then crying DOXXING when someone takes exception to something that you say that might be ultimately very loving stupid. :rolleyes: yep.. you are loving awesome pal, way to sling them words.

e: not that im an advocate of complete accountability and using REALNAMES on the net or anything.. Its just more, doing it behind an alias if you are straight up calling someone out like that is asking for it a bit....

Stupid opinion frog post.

dont dox me thx.

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 23, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

looks like the bad ship from mass effect
It could also be a Razer mouse I guess.

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer
Remember, when you use GCE, you pay for COMPUTE CYCLES and throughput, not data space.
Take this for what it's worth:
The company which I currently work for as a Project Manager does some pretty intense computing in a high-performance capacity, including gpu clustering for image rendering.

I did some base cost and expense based on what I think CIG would require for processing and throughput requirements, and my monthly high-end calculation was about $4mil/month.
This was based on High-availability servers with 24x7 uptime, almost maxed out cpu, and high-end gpu clustering.

Just the base costs, without gpu and load balancing, persistent disks, and bandwidth estimates at $1.2MilUSD/Month for 1500 servers (10% of entire subscriber base-ish), RHEL, 4X375GB ssd per server.

That's currently unsustainable by CIG's model.

BluestreakBTHR fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 23, 2015

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

D_Smart posted:

"Star Citizen - The Gizmondo Connection" was completed a few days ago and has been going back and forth with legal. I got some more feedback from legal yesterday about some stuff I need to source, remove etc. Hopefully it will be finished this weekend and posted with Mon or Tue.

Looking forward to this!

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

SneakyFrog posted:

Is there like a medical term like priapism for "head constantly feels like its exploding"?

Well, there is exploding head syndrome, but it isn't really a "constant" thing.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

BluestreakBTHR posted:

Remember, when you use GCE, you pay for COMPUTE CYCLES and throughput, not data space.
Take thus for what it's worth:
The company which I currently work for as a Project Manager does some pretty intense computing in a high-performance capacity, including gpu clustering for image rendering.
They decided against GCE and AWS for the reasons that buying hardware in a data center was overall cheaper than cloud-based computing.
I did some base cost and expense based on what I think CIG would require for processing and throughput requirements, and my monthly high-end calculation was about $4mil/month.
This was based on High-availability servers with 24x7 uptime, almost maxed out cpu, and high-end gpu clustering.

Just the base costs, without gpu and load balancing, persistent disks, and bandwidth estimates at $1.2MilUSD/Month for 1500 servers (10% of entire subscriber base-ish), RHEL, 4X375GB ssd per server.

That's currently unsustainable by CIG's model.

i had the same issue with cloud services, our data volume is just too large for its economic feasibility, iron on site was about the only thing to do.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Wise Learned Man posted:

Well, there is exploding head syndrome, but it isn't really a "constant" thing.

prime av/post combo

:golfclap:

and educational!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BluestreakBTHR posted:

What the poo poo? They're hosting game servers, not simulating the galaxy.

.. oh. Oh I see. Yes, you have a good point there.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Palpek posted:

This requires the image being posted:

All the spelling mistakes are in the original. Buzzword + buzzword + spergword + buzzword lol

I have no words for how dumb that sounds. Also apparently everything that has a pattern and looks organic = fractal inspired

looks like poo poo

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Agrajag posted:

looks like poo poo

Looks like a really complicated Dyson.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Chalks posted:

Looks like a really complicated Dyson.

bet it really..... :smug:.... sucks.

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

What the poo poo? They're hosting game servers, not simulating the galaxy.

.. oh. Oh I see. Yes, you have a good point there.

The reason I went with something on the higher-end of the price spectrum, is because CIG doesn't know how to do anything in moderation. The only thing CIG has accomplished up to this point with any success is spend money.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Agrajag posted:

looks like poo poo

Needs a larger scoop, maybe some neons.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

SneakyFrog posted:

i had the same issue with cloud services, our data volume is just too large for its economic feasibility, iron on site was about the only thing to do.

Same. Our cluster is ~40 servers now, and we just decided to get into building our own backblaze pods because nothing on the market is cheap enough. The cloud is expensive when you try and do actual computation.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

It's telling that for many so citizens being able to pay for sex is an absolutely essential part of their realistic game experience.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

revmoo posted:

Same. Our cluster is ~40 servers now, and we just decided to get into building our own backblaze pods because nothing on the market is cheap enough. The cloud is expensive when you try and do actual computation.

for me its volume, everyone is like the cloud! the CLOUD !!!

bitch 40 TB over an LTE connection is still gonna be slow to upload.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
If ten years ago you'd have told me that Derek smart, former somethingawful moderator, was being praised near universally by legions of adoring goons for being the voice of reason I'd have made a professional assessment that you were insane and needed to be locked up.

Dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

G0RF posted:

This is the wordiest drat cry for help I've seen yet.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

its like something on the wall at a lovely chain coffeeshop thats trying to be "unique"

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I'm 500+ posts behind but Derek owning Paul Blart is so good I am not going to skip a single post*

*unless seraph reregged again

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006
Has anyone said Shillizens yet?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

SneakyFrog posted:

its like something on the wall at a lovely chain coffeeshop thats trying to be "unique"

Only problem is there is no game.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Wafflz posted:

*unless seraph reregged again

come on now. there is far too much excitement for that already.. lets not OD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Exactly this.

I don't think people really understand what a doxx is. I agree Derek was in the right to remove the name, but that wasn't a doxx. People love to throw that accusation as some form of character assassination and it's just sad. Linking to public pages isn't doxxing. If it was then Google would be constantly in trouble. If you use Google to find the info... Just think about that for a second. It's on Google? So what would that mean, by the understanding in the original post, mean Google is doing? Just saying.

I just ignore them now. Linking to pubic pages is not doxing. It never was. Even Croberts - who remains completely and utterly without a clue - tried that same bullshit. Then him and Ortwin went for broke and tried to accuse me of stalking. Well, you know how that turned out.

A bunch of SJW clowns just keep hijacking the term in order to suit their agenda. By their definition, anything online that points to someone, is doxing.

In the case of ilovecreamsoda, once it was passed to legal, we only needed to send a legal request to Medium, Reddit etc for his info. We do this all the time and it's neither expensive nor a big deal. Attorneys have templates for that sort of thing.

Getting that info probably still won't have revealed who he was without a PI or online researcher getting involved and using the provided data to find him. If he paid for anything (e.g. Reddit Gold), then there would probably be some identifying info about him.

The key to this effort was that he claimed to be a "professional" at that particular line of work. Taking it at face value, the key issue was to find out why a supposedly licensed "professional" would break as many laws as he did, and with impunity. This would be like a State licensed professional (e.g. like my lovely wife for example) posting such an article for Medium, while making it about a specific "known" person. And without the benefit of actually having met, diagnosed or treated said person. And even so, they can't even do that without losing their license due to HIPAA and a myriad of other regulations.

However, though Medium, Pastebin et al did take the material down, we didn't even get to the point of sending out any legal docs because one of the researchers, using nothing more than his social media footprint; was immediately able to find him.

Then the key was to positively ID him by linking A to B to C - without error because that sort of thing gets you sued real quick.

The heat map linking all his footprints, came back conclusive. Once we found that he was a public (the argument could be made that he was a limited purpose public figure) figure and an ex-writer at a notable tech site, posting his info was a no-brainer. So I did just that last night.

And today was to be the day that, instead of wasting time and money with getting his details from the sites he was registered on, having obtained his info, he was going to get a C&D to take it all down or else.

It just so happened that while I was here on SA going through the posts, after I mentioned that we'd found out who he was, I got a DM (my Twitter a/c allows anyone to DM me, even if they are not a follower) from him. You know the rest.

Even though I gave him a pass this time, if you look at his social media footprint, well, you can easily see the sort of thing that he posts. But since they weren't about me, they were of no relevance to me nor this situation.

At the end of the day, even if he hadn't reached out to me last night and ended this, within the next two to three weeks, all that info would have been made public anyway. Especially if he was some licensed professional who I would've most definitely sued right there and then, strip him of his license (at that point we assumed that he was in fact licensed as he stated online), deplete his liability insurance etc. This was an absolute legal slam dunk.

Over the years, people really don't understand that the one thing about me is that I simply don't take this sort of thing lying down. Because when you do, that's when you inadvertently give people carte blanche to do it. And the fact that the law has finally caught up to online bullying, harassment etc, through legislation, case law etc, makes it easier to locate these twerps and completely destroy (and hold them accountable for their deeds) their lives. Which is precisely what they intended to do to people in the first place.

FYI, doxxing is 100% illegal in the entire US.

Doxing. A primer. You're welcome.

quote:

So yes, doxing is illegal, no matter who the target. The difference is when it is on the internet it is Federal, or State. When it is not via cyber space it is State issue/laws/ remedy only. Read this for an example.

Both criminal activities.

“Doxing“ is a legal term that means revealing “documents” about a person. This can range from revealing the name of a person who uses an alias, but more commonly refers to revealing whatever the person doing it feels will harm, shame, humiliate, endanger, or put the person at some risk. Doxing is a form of stalking or threatening and is illegal under many different federal and state laws, depending on the exact facts and location.

Revealing a “name” per se’ may, or may not be considered “Doxing” depending on the level of anticipated anonymity. However, in this law, the term “restricted personal information” means, “with respect to an individual, the Social Security number, the home address, home phone number, mobile phone number, personal email, or home fax number of, and identifiable to, that individual.” This is an important distinction to remember.

Once you outline the address or location of a person, within which a person can be placed at risk, YOU have VIOLATED THE LAW. PERIOD.

This law is about acts that endanger the safety of, or encourage attacks against, a person or a person’s family. It is not about where you found the information.

18 USC § 119

Doxing is always illegal, whether it is done against a federal employee, a state employee, or a regular person. There are federal and state laws that specifically address doxing government employees 18 U.S.C. Sec 371 (18 U.S.C. Sec 119).

However, when acts are on the internet, they extend into all the states. Thereby allowing the victim to choose the state of filing which may, or may not, be the state of residence for the victim(s) or perpetrator(s).

Increasingly with internet use, attorneys are affirming representation to the state with the strongest current legal remedies for Doxing, Cyber-Stalking, or Harassment.

Misinformation was spread that doxing is legal. I am not sure how or why anyone fell for that misinformation. Surely, people must understand instinctively, even if they were misled about the law, that if they are threatening someone or putting them at risk, or tormenting or harassing the other on the internet, that this must be illegal.

Common sense would tell you that bullying or jeopardizing another would be illegal in some way. So yes, doxing is illegal, no matter who the target. The difference is when it is on the internet it is Federal, or State. When it is not via cyber space it is State issue/laws/ remedy only.

When you do something on the internet, it reaches into every state and you open yourself up to potentially being prosecuted under the laws of any state.

In addition, since it is being done in interstate commerce (the internet), you can be accountable under federal law.

Also, if you dox someone using an internet website or service such as Facebook or Twitter or most other such services, such as WordPress or Blogger, and your intent is stalking, cyber stalking, cyber-bullying, harassment, invasion of privacy, threatening, terroristic threatening, endangering the safety of, intentional infliction of emotional distress or intimidation, you are probably violating the Terms of Service under the media contract which binds your activity from your acceptance of the terms.

Violating the terms of service can actually be a federal crime, depending on the situation, and especially so when the terms are violated in order to harm a person.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 23, 2015

• Locked thread