Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

joats posted:

But who really is D_Smart?

edit: My sources tell me that he is Derek Smart a former game developer. Here is his Twitter. https://twitter.com/dsmart

wtf?!!? Why are you doxxing me?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
God drat, that snipe

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SneakyFrog posted:

Hardware based cluster or VM out of curiosity? How do you handle scaling/instancing?

I like infrastructure talk

We started out with HW because, well, we didn't have a clue what we were doing when I designed it. We are going to migrate to either GCE or Amazon EC2 at some point since we've already done with the design, architecture etc. And it all works.

It's easier to start with HW when designing things like this especially if you don't know how well the game will scale, what sort of metrics you will have access to etc.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.
There is no way I'm catching up to 3000 posts, so I'm just going to assume there were at least two seraph alts and I have missed yet another opportunity to have someone buy me an av.
In other news, Rejoice! my refund is "being processed".

:toot:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You missed 1 seraph alt and 1 internet dude "apologizing" to D_Smart.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

D_Smart posted:

wtf?!!? Why are you doxxing me?!?!

goddamn it derek.. theres your tag for that.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

BluestreakBTHR posted:

Remember, when you use GCE, you pay for COMPUTE CYCLES and throughput, not data space.
Take this for what it's worth:
The company which I currently work for as a Project Manager does some pretty intense computing in a high-performance capacity, including gpu clustering for image rendering.

I did some base cost and expense based on what I think CIG would require for processing and throughput requirements, and my monthly high-end calculation was about $4mil/month.
This was based on High-availability servers with 24x7 uptime, almost maxed out cpu, and high-end gpu clustering.

Just the base costs, without gpu and load balancing, persistent disks, and bandwidth estimates at $1.2MilUSD/Month for 1500 servers (10% of entire subscriber base-ish), RHEL, 4X375GB ssd per server.

That's currently unsustainable by CIG's model.

That's true for long term company use where you have consistent usage patterns, certainly. The cloud computing services are ideal for situations where demand is far more spiky though- AKA the launch of every MMO ever, or major patches, etc where you see far larger use than what your normal baseline will be.

If you're buying the hardware/running the datacenter yourself then you have to size for those highest usecases (Or just say lol fuckit and have massive server queues lag and instability surrounding launches and major patches) and then end up with a boatload of excess capacity for the far larger amount of time when utilization is lower. Working directly on your own hardware is certainly more straightforward to grasp and troubleshoot, but it also brings in a lot of hidden costs aside from "Buying servers" in terms of staffing to take care of HW issues, power, cooling, $$$$ software licensing, etc that all have to be paid all the time, even when you're not using the full capacity of your installation.

Blizzard has more experience with this than anyone else out there and they still have a less than sterling record on major launches, although they're a hell of a lot closer to perfect at it today than they were back in the day.

e: Storage is an entirely different issue which brings it's own can of worms along with it.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 23, 2015

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Truga posted:

You missed 1 seraph alt and 1 internet dude "apologizing" to D_Smart.

Dude was probably in hysterics when he realized what sort of poo poo he got himself into. A lot of internet tough guy shitposters would probably be the same.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Blizzard, like all other game companies, just let people wait in several hour long queues to play for the first week. Make sure you don't log out/get disconnected/crash! :laugh:

The only MMO launch I've experienced to date where I could play 99% of the game despite the servers exploding was GW2. And the FF14 expansion, that thing crashed for like 2 hours on launchday, then it was smooth sailing, but I guess expansions are different mostly?

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Jesus. I don't know if I disagree with what happened though. Thus whole thing is just hosed.

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Ugh... reminds me of the time as a kid when I bought a bottle of chocolate flavored soda. It was the grossest thing I've ever tasted and I don't think they sold those for very long. The label had a picture of a clown in it, which was fitting as I certainly felt like one for buying it. :barf:

Holy poo poo. :stonk: That guy was a total creep but can't help but feel sorry for him anyway. That poor family...

CrazyLoon posted:

Maybe it's my sweet tooth for pitch black humor...but I just couldn't help but laugh non-stop at that and not feel sorry for him one bit.

This loving thread...

The whole entire thing was fake / staged:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=419

Redfox was actually a collaboration between oxxiox (later renamed melonopolis) and Gingis. oxxiox made the initial thread, while Gingis made the follow-up thread. The Redfox account was actually Gingis' original account, but it was sent to the concentration camp for being a furry, causing Gingis to register his current account. This led to the use of Redfox as a gimmick account.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Truga posted:

Basically, PU is a glorified 3D server browser. It's a really good idea how to make an "MMO" on the cheap, they could probably have pulled it off with competent management.

LOL! no, not really. It's just a fancy name for an always-on world state which is always on. You know, like an MMO :)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

BluestreakBTHR posted:

Remember, when you use GCE, you pay for COMPUTE CYCLES and throughput, not data space.
Take this for what it's worth:
The company which I currently work for as a Project Manager does some pretty intense computing in a high-performance capacity, including gpu clustering for image rendering.

I did some base cost and expense based on what I think CIG would require for processing and throughput requirements, and my monthly high-end calculation was about $4mil/month.
This was based on High-availability servers with 24x7 uptime, almost maxed out cpu, and high-end gpu clustering.

Just the base costs, without gpu and load balancing, persistent disks, and bandwidth estimates at $1.2MilUSD/Month for 1500 servers (10% of entire subscriber base-ish), RHEL, 4X375GB ssd per server.

That's currently unsustainable by CIG's model.

Yes, this is precisely it. I wrote a post somewhere back in Aug I think, about specifically this. In that same post, I pointed out just how expensive this solution was going to be for them and that it was simply not financially sustainable.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Truga posted:

Blizzard, like all other game companies, just let people wait in several hour long queues to play for the first week. Make sure you don't log out/get disconnected/crash! :laugh:

The only MMO launch I've experienced to date where I could play 99% of the game despite the servers exploding was GW2. And the FF14 expansion, that thing crashed for like 2 hours on launchday, then it was smooth sailing, but I guess expansions are different mostly?

heh, that's a good point- Blizzard gets away with just plain saying :dealwithit: for huge launch day queues and lag, because fundamentally they know people will suffer through it because blizzard games. Other games don't get nearly that level of dedication or benefit of the doubt, where if you have to wait in a 6 hour queue, gently caress that I'm out.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Unfunny Poster posted:

Apparently if a writer for TechRaptor used their real name on that site, then made posts linking themselves to their articles elsewhere, you're doxxing them for making that connection. :psyduck:

The guy literally put his IRL name on TechRaptor.com

http://techraptor.net/content/author/kelwood

and it was easily found to be linked to his Reddit account.

He gave 4 1/2 stars to archeage :laffo:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Paladinus posted:

It's telling that for many so citizens being able to pay for sex is an absolutely essential part of their realistic game experience.

Be fair, not all shitizens want to pay for sex.

Some of them want to take it by force.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Wafflz posted:

He gave 4 1/2 stars to archeage :laffo:

The most damning part of the whole thing right there

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Maldoror posted:

The whole entire thing was fake / staged:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=419

Redfox was actually a collaboration between oxxiox (later renamed melonopolis) and Gingis. oxxiox made the initial thread, while Gingis made the follow-up thread. The Redfox account was actually Gingis' original account, but it was sent to the concentration camp for being a furry, causing Gingis to register his current account. This led to the use of Redfox as a gimmick account.

It's still funny, so now I don't even feel the need to apologize.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Archeage was the best MMO I've played in a long time, but not due to the game but due to the drama that happened

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Gwaihir posted:

heh, that's a good point- Blizzard gets away with just plain saying :dealwithit: for huge launch day queues and lag, because fundamentally they know people will suffer through it because blizzard games. Other games don't get nearly that level of dedication or benefit of the doubt, where if you have to wait in a 6 hour queue, gently caress that I'm out.

Blizzard games are also not comparable to other developers due to their unique freedoms of budget and deadlines. There were one of the first big companies to turn independent or publisher/developer much like VALVE. There were some serous thoughts that BLIZZARD could have even been a competitor for STEAM, but nothing came from those rumors.

I think that getting to the point of a playable release is going to be the most problematic. If predictions are right, they will run out of funds and will need to look towards sources for further investment. What is the most logical approach? Right now it would make no sense for a reasonable investor to see a positive return on investment. Smart, third party entities are out of the equation. I predict that they will pump out a jpg or two when the funds get low, just to get the whales to sink further into the hole. Eventually they will be at a point where it can be called a game, employees will be cut to a minimum, copies sold, and false promises forever told until the project can break even or find some way to incorporate in game advertising income or some other third party profit.

Rumors of downsizing have already begun. What is the best way for them to escape with minimal losses?

joats fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 23, 2015

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Eonwe posted:

Archeage was the best MMO I've played in a long time, but not due to the game but due to the drama that happened

oh well so then where does this one rank?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Unfunny Poster posted:

The guy literally put his IRL name on TechRaptor.com

http://techraptor.net/content/author/kelwood

and it was easily found to be linked to his Reddit account.

Amusing. His article about Star Citizen fails to mention his conflict of interest with being a backer. What about ethics in games journalism?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
This makes more sense than his novel did.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

joats posted:

Blizzard games are also not comparable to other developers due to their unique freedoms of budget and deadlines. There were one of the first big companies to turn independent or publisher/developer much like VALVE. There were some serous thoughts that BLIZZARD could have even been a competitor for STEAM, but nothing came from those rumors.

I think that getting to the point of a playable release is going to be the most problematic. If predictions are right, they will run out of funds and will need to look towards sources for further investment. What is the most logical approach? Right now it would make no sense for a reasonable investor to see a positive return on investment. Smart, third party entities are out of the equation. I predict that they will pump out a jpg or two when the funds get low, just to get the whales to sink further into the hole. Eventually they will be at a point where it can be called a game, employees will be cut to a minimum, copies sold, and false promises forever told until the project can break even or find some way to incorporate in game advertising income or some other third party profit.

Rumors of downsizing have already begun. What is the best way for them to escape with minimal losses?

There is no such "escape with minimal losses". I predict that it will be a total loss. Best case, they actually release a half-assed SQ42 ep1. Worse case, it all goes to poo poo early to mid 2016.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Orions Lord posted:

I actual belief this game will come out and will be playable.
But I didn’t read the one thousand comments a day topic here so I might be misinformed.

Not just misinformed but also missing out.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

joats posted:

Hey, from the perspective of "The PU will never actually exist" then just using cloud computing services for your infrastructure is the best idea ever, since you only have to pay for enough server time to support the miniscule number of people that regularly play Arena Commander, leaving way way more cash for the coke fund!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SneakyFrog posted:

oh well so then where does this one rank?

This is the best game I never played.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Eonwe posted:

So now Star Citizen is the best MMO you've ever played?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Truga posted:

This is the best game I never played.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Gwaihir posted:

Hey, from the perspective of "The PU will never actually exist" then just using cloud computing services for your infrastructure is the best idea ever, since you only have to pay for enough server time to support the miniscule number of people that regularly play Arena Commander, leaving way way more cash for the coke fund!

Crobizzle is very likely pocketing as much of the funds for himself while using the barest minimum to develop a crap rear end game. Where's my proof? Everything they have shown thus far. Also, his wife not wife double/triple dipping.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

We started out with HW because, well, we didn't have a clue what we were doing when I designed it. We are going to migrate to either GCE or Amazon EC2 at some point since we've already done with the design, architecture etc. And it all works.

It's easier to start with HW when designing things like this especially if you don't know how well the game will scale, what sort of metrics you will have access to etc.

The costs for unshared infrastructure start to climb wildly, and your problem isn't necessarily going to be compute, but routing. Amazon especially is barebones, and their auto-scaling is fairly weak ~ it takes minutes to scale successfully, which is why Netflix came up with their own. There's some impact on ADCs and availability zones as well.

Simulate the load on EC2 before you commit and read those Amazon SLA docs. We run into issues with them all the time and we have dedicated links to the US-EAST zone, but it's important to know what they are and aren't going to do for you. It's mostly nothing.

Just be careful with the scaling, it's something that people get wrong all the time. We spent an extra couple of million when a misconfigured route double-dipped bandwidth.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Eonwe posted:

Space Court/Space Court

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
I also expect that Crobits expense reports would make for some interesting reading.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Derek have you looked into getting personal security

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Agrajag posted:

Crobizzle is very likely pocketing as much of the funds for himself while using the barest minimum to develop a crap rear end game. Where's my proof? Everything they have shown thus far. Also, his wife not wife double/triple dipping.

Seems to me that the best way to do that would have been to just make a 30 million dollar Freelancer clone and run off with the rest of the warchest leaving Peterson in charge.

But maybe the drive to 'show those drat publishers/Hollywood' is sincerely stronger in this case. So it's just a, I dunno, culmulative million dollar and change annual takehome + subscriber cash.

But what do I know I'm just some rear end in a top hat looking forward to XCom 2.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Dusty Lens posted:

Seems to me that the best way to do that would have been to just make a 30 million dollar Freelancer clone and run off with the rest of the warchest leaving Peterson in charge.

But maybe the drive to 'show those drat publishers/Hollywood' is sincerely stronger in this case. So it's just a, I dunno, culmulative million dollar and change annual takehome + subscriber cash.

But what do I know I'm just some rear end in a top hat looking forward to XCom 2.

unironically, same

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Dusty Lens posted:

do you think Crobizzle took extra paycheque for directing the SQ42 mocap stuff? i certainly do

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Fried Watermelon posted:

Derek have you looked into getting personal security

Hey, just wanted to say you've got a cool av.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
Next stop is that early access dough.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Agrajag posted:

do you think Crobizzle took extra paycheque for directing the SQ42 mocap stuff? i certainly do

I think that every separate credit / job title had an associated payment, throw in some miscellaneous "consultancy services" charged to the subsidiary companies billed from a separate legal entity for good measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

joats posted:

Next stop is that early access dough.

Speaking of early access dough, Descent Underground hit steam early access today, so yet another space game has left the starting gate after Star Citizen and has passed it.

• Locked thread