Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
macross zero was distinctly 'it's alright' for me, what exactly is it that incited you to hate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Gyra_Solune posted:

macross zero was distinctly 'it's alright' for me, what exactly is it that incited you to hate it

"Giraffes don't have long necks because they evolved to eat leaves on tall trees, they have long necks because they got infected with a virus that made their necks long"

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I genuinely don't remember much about the early Macross Zero eps with regards to them being bad, rather I remember the last episode being so awful it basically didn't matter what happened in the rest.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

I genuinely don't remember much about the early Macross Zero eps with regards to them being bad, rather I remember the last episode being so awful it basically didn't matter what happened in the rest.

Yeah pretty much.

It starts out being pretty okay but that final episode destroys any positive opinions remaining.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ultimately the best thing Macross Zero did was lead to a pretty solid episode in Frontier.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Macross Zero's last episode never stops being hilarious to me. "We ran out of budget and time, so some stuff happened and now our characters are doing this."

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
macross zero was sorta hazy for me i guess

all i remember was some people in planes fought over an island full of mystic stuff, and then the lady there sang some song and turned some ancient relics into something from evangelion, which then hosed off and roy fokker, who was there the whole time, never mentions this completely batshit thing in the following macross one for obvious reasons, also his scientist girlfriend died or something

but also generally speaking anime needs to stop trying to explain evolution with weird alien nonsense because it's clear biology textbooks don't exist in japan or something

it does baffle me how people seem so confused and afraid from something whose base principle is 'kids tend to look like their parents'

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 24, 2015

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
So if I got the 4chan announcement right (am on mobile so can't read threads) are we getting a new fmp season?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
OK, the diving scene in episode 3 is pretty great.

maybe because they actually bothered traditionally animating the animals

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Oh what the hell. Mao asks Shin if he likes Sara, and Shin gets all embarrassed and flustered. That's bullshit, there's been zero build-up to that. He saw her naked once, and all of a sudden he's in love?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
What the hell, why do they anti-UN forces want the alien skeleton thing? I thought they just didn't want to be part of a one world government, why do they care about the stupid evolution theory?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Why does the anti-UN robot flap it's wings? That is so dumb

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ryand-Smith posted:

So if I got the 4chan announcement right (am on mobile so can't read threads) are we getting a new fmp season?

Look one page back.

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape

Ryand-Smith posted:

-New season of FMP
-Will adapt the rest of the series
-done by a "Tokyo" production company
-One of the dudes in the livestream was wearing a really sick Mithril shirt

And then we know nothing else. No date, no name, no PV, no length. Presumably they have the VAs, no problem, since Chidori, Tessa, and Al's appeared on stream.

filthychimp fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 25, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Lol at the end of Macross Zero. "Take care of the Mayan people, Shin" *five years later they're all killed by the Zentraedi*

What a lovely, baffling show

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

boom boom boom posted:

Lol at the end of Macross Zero. "Take care of the Mayan people, Shin" *five years later they're all killed by the Zentraedi*

What a lovely, baffling show

Yeah it sucks but the action was pretty good if i remember correctly. also gave us the phrase "turn on a dime macross zero style"

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

boom boom boom posted:

"Giraffes don't have long necks because they evolved to eat leaves on tall trees, they have long necks because they got infected with a virus that made their necks long"

It's kinda crazy that giraffes ended up the way they did. Like, it was obviously a gradual change but that means over millions of years the trees also probably had to get higher, or something? The nerves in their necks are crazy inefficient and loop around and stuff. It's messed. Evolution is messed.

I need to go read about giraffes.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like giraffes. I like petting them at the zoo. They are good animals.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Does anyone remember that notoriously bad beast machines giraffe transformer toy

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

muike posted:

Does anyone remember that notoriously bad beast machines

yes.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I liked Beast Machines

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

muike posted:

Does anyone remember that notoriously bad beast machines giraffe transformer toy

Longrack?

(I don't actually know any transformers stuff outside Thew.)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Srice posted:

Ultimately the best thing Macross Zero did was lead to a pretty solid episode in Frontier.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Longrack?

(I don't actually know any transformers stuff outside Thew.)

That's the one. It has tongue licking action. Thew is cool because he puts grindcore in everything

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hbomberguy posted:

It's kinda crazy that giraffes ended up the way they did. Like, it was obviously a gradual change but that means over millions of years the trees also probably had to get higher, or something? The nerves in their necks are crazy inefficient and loop around and stuff. It's messed. Evolution is messed.

I need to go read about giraffes.

There's apparently a wide-spread theory that the necks didn't develop to eat from the tops of trees but to fight with, which they do do. One of the major bits of evidence being that they often don't eat from the tops of trees and mostly bend down to eat from lower down on trees, not the very top. But yea, evolution is pretty crazy regardless.

boom boom boom posted:

I liked Beast Machines

I much preferred Beast Machines to Beast Wars when I watched both several years back, for which I realize I'm very much in the minority. I mostly just loved how well it was planned and how each episode lead straight in to the next and formed a strong seasonal arc. The fact Megatron was so menacing and devious helped. Watching him manipulate the entire team by pretending to be someone else was one of the best things in Transformers, because he pulls it off so well. Animated was better than both though.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Today I came to the realization, after several years of watching Go-Lion and related Voltron properties, that it is called Go-Lion because it is five lions put together.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

alcharagia posted:

Today I came to the realization, after several years of watching Go-Lion and related Voltron properties, that it is called Go-Lion because it is five lions put together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDajqW561KM

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3MF0XUxStc

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

alcharagia posted:

Have you never watched the intro then?

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Go-Lion sure has an upbeat opening for how grim the show is.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TNG posted:

Go-Lion sure has an upbeat opening for how grim the show is.

Yeah it's amazing how violent Go-Lion is, which makes one realize that the team that handled Lion Voltron were really good at their jobs since it manages to be mostly coherent despite how much editing was needed for it to be appropriate for American television

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah it's amazing how violent Go-Lion is, which makes one realize that the team that handled Lion Voltron were really good at their jobs since it manages to be mostly coherent despite how much editing was needed for it to be appropriate for American television

YUP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MCyhyYjweU

Even the loving mice get into it. The writers at World Events sure went the extra mile coming up with all sorts of explanations on why things weren't THAT bad. They even had some new animation made to continue the story after Zarkon eats it, which in the dub he doesn't.

TNG fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 25, 2015

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Space Runaway Ideon is real good, and Be Invoked is great. It's definitely the best example of 'oh god, Tomino kills so many characters' out there. I've not seen so many main, named characters get decapitated or shot in the face and head in a single film.

The movie reminds me a lot thematically of Kill la Kill, but that's not surprising since the creators are admittedly huge fans and have loads of references to it in their other works (and KLK itself straight up used the Ideon logo at one point). They both end on roughly the same positive note, with conflict itself ended in a definitive way and things looking up, only Ideon has the stinger that it's because everyone's fuckin' dead and ghosts.

tsob posted:

There's apparently a wide-spread theory that the necks didn't develop to eat from the tops of trees but to fight with, which they do do. One of the major bits of evidence being that they often don't eat from the tops of trees and mostly bend down to eat from lower down on trees, not the very top. But yea, evolution is pretty crazy regardless.
I saw two Giraffes fighting once in Africa. It was crazy. They were just hitting their necks on their necks. Like holy poo poo dudes. What are you doing. Stop

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 25, 2015

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

filthychimp posted:

-New season of FMP
-Will adapt the rest of the series
-done by a "Tokyo" production company
-One of the dudes in the livestream was wearing a really sick Mithril shirt

And then we know nothing else. No date, no name, no PV, no length. Presumably they have the VAs, no problem, since Chidori, Tessa, and Al's appeared on stream.

I just really want the original dub cast back because goddamn Chris Patton and Luci Christian had the best chemistry as Sousuke and Kaname, but if Funimation gets the rights like they did with the rest of the franchise, it's looking kinda iffy since Patton's kinda sworn off working for them, didn't he?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Funimation tries hard to get back the original VA's when it's feasible, like Evangelion. Especially if they were main characters.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Looks like we're getting some Macross Delta news later this week

quote:

The Macross Delta project will hold "'Chō Jikū'" Seisaku Happyōkai" ("The Super Dimension" Production Unveiling), a live-streamed event which will reveal more details on the project on October 29 at 12:00 p.m.. Macross franchise creator Shoji Kawamori will appear at the event, which will reveal the main staff, the winner of the audition for the new singer in the anime, and the anime's characters. About 8,000 candidates applied for the singing audition.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Lot of exciting robot news, as of late!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

NotALizardman posted:

Lot of exciting robot news, as of late!

I am very happy rn

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Stoked for more Macross.

Gonna sing at so many aliens