Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Put a catless DP on my GTI today. God, I hope I don't regret voiding the warranty (technically) at 2500mi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BlackMK4 posted:

Put a catless DP on my GTI today. God, I hope I don't regret voiding the warranty (technically) at 2500mi.

*turbo dies over the weekend*

Are you doing a stage 2 tune also?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
This, but pretty much me for the last few months. I want to get more performance out of my base mk4 2.0L, but it's just become a wear. The same ideas keep popping up and the same reasons not to do things like put in a turbo or swap out for a 16v head pop up at the same time. The suspension has already been completely overhauled, but the oil burning problems and the inevitable cat replacement are sucking the motivation outta me. My standing plan is to get halfway decent at fabricating and drop a small block mopar in there and convert it to rear wheel drive. I take the bus to work anyway :downs:

Seconding the reddit VW crowd. Yuck, who cares? May as well do a GIS for "sweet lookin VWs" cuz that's all they have to offer; no tech tips or how-tos, nothing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

scuz posted:

This, but pretty much me for the last few months. I want to get more performance out of my base mk4 2.0L, but it's just become a wear. The same ideas keep popping up and the same reasons not to do things like put in a turbo or swap out for a 16v head pop up at the same time. The suspension has already been completely overhauled, but the oil burning problems and the inevitable cat replacement are sucking the motivation outta me. My standing plan is to get halfway decent at fabricating and drop a small block mopar in there and convert it to rear wheel drive. I take the bus to work anyway :downs:

Seconding the reddit VW crowd. Yuck, who cares? May as well do a GIS for "sweet lookin VWs" cuz that's all they have to offer; no tech tips or how-tos, nothing.

Unless it's a car that you absolutely must still have I would expect you to have a better time putting that small block into an s13 240sx shell.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Sorry for the disorganization, I'm a bit sleep deprived as I've spent at least a few hours every day this week doing research on this. I've come to the conclusion that I hate the VW community (online at least). r/VW is terrible it's pretty much all just people saying "Hey check out my new bone stock MK6!"

The VW community in general online is absolute trash, but unfortunately its a reflection of the community at large.

VW/Audi is the new Honda.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

The VW community in general online is absolute trash, but unfortunately its a reflection of the community at large.

VW/Audi is the new Honda.

Nah, Honda is still the new Honda.

Also, without putting a turbo on it, the NA 2.0l is a worthless engine.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Nah, Honda is still the new Honda.

Also, without putting a turbo on it, the NA 2.0l is a worthless engine.
I considered putting a turbo on it, which would be a fun project. What's an even funner-er project is swapping in a V8 :unsmigghh:

VelociBacon posted:

Unless it's a car that you absolutely must still have I would expect you to have a better time putting that small block into an s13 240sx shell.
I likely would. If I find a roller around town that fits that description I'll probably go that route. The Golf would require massive, crazy frame hacks from my preliminary mock-ups and that's a big task.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

veedubfreak posted:

*turbo dies over the weekend*

Are you doing a stage 2 tune also?

Yeah, the GIAC one since it is the best power and they can unlock the newer ECU. That is where I really worry about the warranty; I think I need to find a mod friendly dealer. CEL came on today, I don't know why I bothered to pay more for a catted DP.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

scuz posted:

I likely would. If I find a roller around town that fits that description I'll probably go that route. The Golf would require massive, crazy frame hacks from my preliminary mock-ups and that's a big task.

Too bad the Haldex doesn't respond well to full time RWD by disconnecting the front axle. They get toasted.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
There may be more diesel engines affected.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/22/us-volkswagen-emissions-engines-idUSKCN0SG0US20151022

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Somehow I ended up with a 2014 Passat tsi/Wolfsburg edition with 40K miles on it. 1 previous, all service records complete no recurring issues. What do I need to know, how foolish was I?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The rear end in a top hat ambulance chasers are already running stupid daytime commercials. Seriously, loving string up these cocksuckers.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe
So I have a 2005 Golf with a chronic immobilizer issue that has become ridiculous. The long and short of it is, the car will intermittently not recognize its key. It starts by refusing to recognize the key if the car's been off for less than an hour, and then starts up just fine. Then it'll refuse to start for an hour and a half, then start. Then two hours, then not at all, and it has to be towed to the mechanic or dealership. (It's only gone that far once, but once is enough.) The key has been replaced; the immobilizer has been reset; the ignition has been replaced and repaired; practically the only thing that hasn't been done is replace the immobilizer entirely (I actually don't know if that's feasible).

The mechanic and the dealership are baffled, and I'm about at my wits' end. I don't want to replace the car, but it's worthless if it won't start. At the same time, I'm pretty much convinced at this point that the problem is the immobilizer itself, and I'd like them to take a shot at doing something about that before giving up. I have no idea 1) if it actually is the immobilizer, and 2) if it can be fixed/replaced. Or if the Golf is a goner and I need to start researching a replacement.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Bobbie Wickham posted:

So I have a 2005 Golf with a chronic immobilizer issue that has become ridiculous. The long and short of it is, the car will intermittently not recognize its key. It starts by refusing to recognize the key if the car's been off for less than an hour, and then starts up just fine. Then it'll refuse to start for an hour and a half, then start. Then two hours, then not at all, and it has to be towed to the mechanic or dealership. (It's only gone that far once, but once is enough.) The key has been replaced; the immobilizer has been reset; the ignition has been replaced and repaired; practically the only thing that hasn't been done is replace the immobilizer entirely (I actually don't know if that's feasible).

The mechanic and the dealership are baffled, and I'm about at my wits' end. I don't want to replace the car, but it's worthless if it won't start. At the same time, I'm pretty much convinced at this point that the problem is the immobilizer itself, and I'd like them to take a shot at doing something about that before giving up. I have no idea 1) if it actually is the immobilizer, and 2) if it can be fixed/replaced. Or if the Golf is a goner and I need to start researching a replacement.

When this happens, does turning the key not do anything at all? Do the gauges light up and show a proper odometer reading, etc? I ask because I have a relay slowly going bad (haven't figured out which one) on my 06' Audi and tapping the bank of relays under the dashboard just above the steering column seems to temporarily fix the issue. It's only happened three times but it sounds a lot like your issue.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

veedubfreak posted:

The rear end in a top hat ambulance chasers are already running stupid daytime commercials. Seriously, loving string up these cocksuckers.

Which cocksuckers, the criminals or the ambulance chasers? I don't have tv but I'm going to sue, the case is gonna be a pretty easy win.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

8ender posted:

When this happens, does turning the key not do anything at all? Do the gauges light up and show a proper odometer reading, etc? I ask because I have a relay slowly going bad (haven't figured out which one) on my 06' Audi and tapping the bank of relays under the dashboard just above the steering column seems to temporarily fix the issue. It's only happened three times but it sounds a lot like your issue.

The car starts, for about two seconds, then it cuts out and the icon indicating I'm using the wrong key turns on. It's a textbook example of how the immobilizer is supposed to work, except it's rejecting the correct key. I also have no idea why the car won't recognize the key if it's been sitting for less than an hour, but will read it correctly after an hour or two.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
I've heard the immobilizer can be disabled via VAGCOM. I'd look into that.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe
I'd love to disable the immobilizer, but the mechanic and the dealership have both told me that it's not possible. Googling around is showing me that I'm not going to get it done aboveboard at the dealership, and I read some conflicting things about VAG-COM, so I don't know. It looks like my options are 1) get rid of the car; 2) let someone perform a questionable operation that could ruin the car further and/or gently caress up my insurance; or 3) pitch a temper tantrum until the immobilizer itself is examined again.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
2009 VW GTI update:

I had the car towed to another shop and changed oil to inspect the old stuff. No glitter... I think the bottom end is probably fine then? Part of the valve cover was pulled off but the cams looked fine. I'd imagine the dealer would've said something if they didn't. Maybe timing jumped?

Paid $1500 for my 49k mile replacement engine out of a 2012 or 2013 EOS with the same engine code. I pick it up Friday and will bring it to the shop. Probably just gonna have that swapped in and I'll do some forensics on the original engine after I move it to my storage unit.

Pics
http://imgur.com/J64k416
http://imgur.com/GsfYTaN

Drunk Pledge Driver fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 24, 2015

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

EngineerSean posted:

Which cocksuckers, the criminals or the ambulance chasers? I don't have tv but I'm going to sue, the case is gonna be a pretty easy win.

Actually it wont be, but good luck. The US legal system/ the way the epa works basically means the manufacturers are basically in the clear as far as customer liability. Im just gonna take my ~1k check for increased fuel costs and consider it a moral victory.

Lord of Garbagemen fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 24, 2015

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Actually it wont be, but good luck. The US legal system/ the way the epa works basically means the manufacturers are basically in the clear as far as customer liability. Im just gonna take my ~1k check for increased fuel costs and consider it a moral victory.

lol if you think this

e: what I mean is, in most cases, you'd be correct. However, their balls are nailed to the wall this time.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
What exactly are you sueing for. Did you personally lose money? The only way anyone is personally hurt is if they try to sell their car.

And the reason I came to check the thread was to say. I was able to get the R sideways in the rain. Car is super predictable.

Also, if anyone hits up the junk yards a lot, I need a spare tire out of a
- 07-15 Eos
- 09-15 A3/S3
- 12-15 Golf R

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 25, 2015

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

We all get that you have a severe hatred of lawyers from whatever event happened in your life but this is kind of a good reason to sue. It's ok and even good people do it with cases this favorable.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Pryor on Fire posted:

We all get that you have a severe hatred of lawyers from whatever event happened in your life but this is kind of a good reason to sue. It's ok and even good people do it with cases this favorable.

Its really not a good case to sue , here are your arguments:
Mileage: this has already been proven to either give you a small settlement or be denied by courts as the EPA sets mileage , the manufacturer does nothing.
Resale: lol good luck finding proof or evidence that a judge doesn't immediatly throw out, these are cars not the stock exchange
"Green": see resale
Performance: again even if the only reason you bought the car was for performance go ahead and try and prove that this diesels specific performance was your sole reason for buying the car.
They lied to me: and? Damages?

i bought a 2015 tdi (one week before they announced this whole thing), id love to get the cash to get a dpf and egr delete. But after looking into actual cases against manufacters, vdub and the other senior vw guys in this thread were right you will get a free oil change, a vw t shirt, and a .35 cent check from your class action lawsuit.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
What if i really like the environment and was sold a car based on the lie of clean diesel and my feelings are hurt every time i drive my smogmobile and i can't even trade the car in for one quarter of its supposed value?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

EngineerSean posted:

What if i really like the environment and was sold a car based on the lie of clean diesel and my feelings are hurt every time i drive my smogmobile and i can't even trade the car in for one quarter of its supposed value?

Watch something about how low the impact of this is compared to industry, specifically in other countries, and realize that globally it's not a super big player.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I didn't realize that scale mattered when filing a lawsuit, I must have missed the Law & Order episode where the defense argued "Sure my client said this was a diet product while it was really poisoning people, but have you seen how unhealthy McDonald's is making people?"

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

EngineerSean posted:

I didn't realize that scale mattered when filing a lawsuit, I must have missed the Law & Order episode where the defense argued "Sure my client said this was a diet product while it was really poisoning people, but have you seen how unhealthy McDonald's is making people?"

Sorry I was responding to your post as it stood without context because nothing was quoted in it. Yes obviously it's not a valid legal argument.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

veedubfreak posted:

What exactly are you sueing for. Did you personally lose money? The only way anyone is personally hurt is if they try to sell their car.

It's OK for people to want to see VW punished for a decision they made all on their own. It's OK for people to want to see a faceless company that isn't a person and doesn't have feelings take responsibility for it's actions. They hosed up and now have to deal with the repercussions and that is OK, that's how the world works, you don't need to defend VW. Volkswagen doesn't love you.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry I was responding to your post as it stood without context because nothing was quoted in it. Yes obviously it's not a valid legal argument.

Oh well in that case yeah, no need to go to a foreign land, this court rules against American Industry, case closed.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I seriously have no idea why any affected TDI owner wouldn't sue. Titanic corporations make it a habit of bilking you out of your entire paycheck via legal and illegal means everyday. I'm lucky to be wealthy enough to individually keep up a lawsuit as long as it takes but this is one of the largest cases of false advertisement in recent history. Unlike Toyota or GM's huge recalls lately, this was completely willful. Join a class action if you have to, get your thousand bucks or whatever, but don't let them slide because you want a Christmas card from them or something.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
The whole thing depends upon the fix Volkswagen enacts. If Volkswagen is able to bring cars to emissions standards without sacrificing much economy/power there really isn't much lawsuit potential.

The lawsuits that would be most likely to be successful are for false advertising and defrauding customers due to the whole "clean diesel" campaign. You cannot legally advertise something that isn't true or is based on deception/fraud. However, if the fix brings things into compliance this angle goes away. Theoretically though this is grounds for a buy back for the fair market value of the car.

Lost resale does have precedent though and is a real monetary damage that can be sued for. It's similar to if you're involved in an accident and your car is not worth the same as it previously was - that money can be recovered. It's pretty easy for someone to gather data on what the cars were selling for before and after an event and create a difference. It's not going to be a whole new car or anything, but it could be a couple thousand.

The loss in power is a possible avenue - but on it's own might not be enough for a lawsuit. You did buy a product advertised at a certain level and if the fix is not minimal, there could be a legal case for that but it would be hard to put a monetary value on this one.

Loss in economy is a possible lawsuit as well but it would be minimal. It's extremely easy to prove - take the rating before and after the fix and there's the monetary damage - but if it only ends up being a 2-3mpg difference it'll be a few hundred dollars at best. 2mpg difference is ~$75/year in costs - most MPG settlements are based on 5 years, so $375 would be the average refund on this one. Obviously if the hit ends up being much higher there is potential for a higher refund here.

I'm incredibly interested in this whole story and I'm really interested to see what the end result is.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 25, 2015

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

The loss in power is a possible avenue - but on it's own might not be enough for a lawsuit. You did buy a product advertised at a certain level and if the fix is not minimal, there could be a legal case for that but it would be hard to put a monetary value on this one.

Loss in economy is a possible lawsuit as well but it would be minimal. It's extremely easy to prove - take the rating before and after the fix and there's the monetary damage - but if it only ends up being a 2-3mpg difference it'll be a few hundred dollars at best. 2mpg difference is ~$75/year in costs - most MPG settlements are based on 5 years, so $375 would be the average refund on this one. Obviously if the hit ends up being much higher there is potential for a higher refund here.

These will affect the resale value as well. People are notoriously bad about estimating how much mpg differences matter and that drives up the price. The TDI's real selling point was efficiency while being a blast to drive - if you wanted 50mpg car but didn't care about it driving like a slug you bought a Prius. If you wanted a VW but didn't care about fuel economy you bought an SE for two grand less, probably a better discount used because the TDIs kept their value insanely well for a used car.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

The whole thing depends upon the fix Volkswagen enacts. If Volkswagen is able to bring cars to emissions standards without sacrificing much economy/power there really isn't much lawsuit potential.

The lawsuits that would be most likely to be successful are for false advertising and defrauding customers due to the whole "clean diesel" campaign. You cannot legally advertise something that isn't true or is based on deception/fraud. However, if the fix brings things into compliance this angle goes away. Theoretically though this is grounds for a buy back for the fair market value of the car.

Lost resale does have precedent though and is a real monetary damage that can be sued for. It's similar to if you're involved in an accident and your car is not worth the same as it previously was - that money can be recovered. It's pretty easy for someone to gather data on what the cars were selling for before and after an event and create a difference. It's not going to be a whole new car or anything, but it could be a couple thousand.

I'm incredibly interested in this whole story and I'm really interested to see what the end result is.

Again in order to win a common law actual fraud suit you have to prove 5 things,
Material mistatement
Scienter
Reasonable reliability
Intent to rely
Damages

The 3 you would have trouble proving is the last three. (Constructive fraud , just swap scienter with reckless disregard)

Under UCC, you would have to prove that being "green" was a catalyst to purchasing this car. Now the transaction is over 500$ so it has to be in writing, which means the sales contract is your highest form of evidence. Per the parole evidence rule, anything not in that written contract is inadmissible as evidence or holds no weight.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
But wouldn't the UCC and parole evidence rule only protect the dealership selling the car and not Volkswagen for misrepresentation and false advertising?

Volkswagen made a representation that their cars were clean (false). When Volkswagen made that claim, they had knowledge that the claim was false. It's already been shown that many layers of management were aware and through using the defeat device, they misrepresented their claim. They made the representation with the intent that consumers would act upon that advertising (which many did. One of the reasons people cited as buying a TDI - even before the situation was that they thought it was a clean vehicle). The buyers relied upon advertising of Volkswagen in making their purchasing decision.

I think you could make a case that Volkswagen putting the advertising in writing all over the place (that isn't going anywhere, there's tons of proof of it) is substantial enough proof that it influenced purchasing decisions.

The financial impact is what's going to make the biggest difference in any lawsuit though.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 25, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Again in order to win a common law actual fraud suit you have to prove 5 things,
Material mistatement
Scienter
Reasonable reliability
Intent to rely
Damages

The 3 you would have trouble proving is the last three. (Constructive fraud , just swap scienter with reckless disregard)

Under UCC, you would have to prove that being "green" was a catalyst to purchasing this car. Now the transaction is over 500$ so it has to be in writing, which means the sales contract is your highest form of evidence. Per the parole evidence rule, anything not in that written contract is inadmissible as evidence or holds no weight.

The thing I like about any real attorney is that if you ask them a legal question, the almost universal answer you'll get is "I don't know, I'd have to look it up." People that spout off legal theories and portions of law are again, almost universally, first-year law students or people who think an internet summary applies broadly in the real world.

There are a lot of legal matters that VW is going to have to deal with and, until they announce a fix, everything past that is conjecture.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Can I sue for the fact that I had to always go out of my way to find a diesel station? Just because my wife had to have a TDI because it was a clean car and got great gas mileage? Because in LA, the majority of gas stations don't have a diesel pump.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I only hire lawyers, I am not a lawyer, so I'll mostly sit this out. However, I find the claim "anything not in the contract is inadmissable or holds no weight" to be pretty unbelievable when it comes to false advertising, no matter what the purchase cost is or the existence of a sales contract.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

EngineerSean posted:

Don't worry. Really, the VWs are doing nowhere near the damage the GOP is doing to the environment.

Who just sued the EPA to prevent clean power initiatives. Gotta save the coal industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Couldn't everyone just take VW to small claims court?

The dollar limit in most states would cover your damages.
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/small-claims-suits-how-much-30031.html

What would happen if a couple thousand VW enthusiasts took VW to small claims court all over the country?