Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Did the big update make a Pretty Good Game into a Pretty drat Good Game? I may check it out, but I remember some parts of the original release that I dont want to play through again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Dandywalken posted:

Did the big update make a Pretty Good Game into a Pretty drat Good Game? I may check it out, but I remember some parts of the original release that I dont want to play through again.

It's definitely polished up, though it has its own issues that are waiting on a patch.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Levantine posted:

It's definitely polished up, though it has its own issues that are waiting on a patch.

Anything game breaking ? Cause I waited for the director's cut before I do my first playthrough.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

The npcs you can recruit gently caress-off to god knows where when you dismiss them from the party. Sometimes they come back, other times not so much.

It's not 'gamebreaking' but it's super lovely

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Hammerstein posted:

Anything game breaking ? Cause I waited for the director's cut before I do my first playthrough.

The companion bug is the only one I know of. You get credit for recruiting them but if you go back to the Citadel, they are not always there. It's hit or miss but you can still get the scrap/merit reward for recruiting them and they all reappear when it's time to go to Cali anyway.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I've encountered a ton of bugs. There's lots of little scripting errors like where an NPC will mention something and then you click on a button for more conversation they say they know nothing about it. There's one guy who's supposed to heal you but there's a typo in the text so you say "Head" instead of heal or whatever so he doesn't do anything.

There's a place where your weapons are confiscated but if you select the wrong conversation choice the conversation ends and you can't get your weapons back. One time I followed the conversation and I was told my weapons were returned but they weren't.

There's also a bug where if you recruit a character, load another save, and then recruit the character again, all of their equipment will disappear. Along the same lines, if you dismiss a character, the game says it transfers their inventory to someone else but it doesn't.

I have a character that doesn't lose her Animal Whisperer bonuses when the animal dies.

I made a post 2 days ago demonstrating a bug where the game can't load any saves. I seem to be stuck with whenever I make a new save file, TOC.txt becomes corrupt.

I really like this game but, yeah, it could use some fixing up and I wish I would have waited a few more months.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I had a purely beneficial bug where I got an +2 to First Aid on my medic without any kind of trinket or status effect active. I honestly have no idea why it did that.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Is Lexcanium's weapon upgradeable at all or is he doomed to be useless in the second map?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

What's the best way to use weapon smithing for money? I feel like I should leave it low on one character so I can break down lovely weapons for broken weapon parts and keep it high on another when I want mods. It sucks to break down a lovely $40 shotgun and get an even more worthless $30 choke more than half the time because of high weapon smithing.

At the same time just selling weapons for $90+ a pop is keeping me in decent cash, but still.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Has anyone actually tried making an armored juggernaut with Shoulder the Load (25% less move penalty for armor) and whatever perk gives you +1 AC with heavy armor? I figure with a 6ish Str, the perk that just gives you +1 AC for fun and those other two, you might have an ok walking wall.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I am actually working on just that guy. He's got 9 strength and 10 speed combined with Heavy Handed, and I'm skilling him in Blunt and Bladed for the armor perks. He isn't close to those perks and he's already my most reliable killer by a country mile.

S.T.C.A. posted:

What's the best way to use weapon smithing for money? I feel like I should leave it low on one character so I can break down lovely weapons for broken weapon parts and keep it high on another when I want mods. It sucks to break down a lovely $40 shotgun and get an even more worthless $30 choke more than half the time because of high weapon smithing.

At the same time just selling weapons for $90+ a pop is keeping me in decent cash, but still.

Depends on the stage of the game.

Everyone who is going to be using light armor benefits from two points in Weaponsmithing to snag the Tinkerer perk for that extra AP. The thing to remember is that the highest skill gets used unless you keep characters too far away from each other for it to take effect, so a higher skilled character will override whatever you do in someone else's inventory normally.

So long as you're in Arizona, making weapon parts is incredibly good money, but as soon as you're in Cali, you basically don't bother because the junk will be nearly useless compared to the original weapon's value. Also Cali weapons, while they break down into more useful mods, also break down into so many useless mods that it's an enormous pain in the rear end to get something you actually want.

Personally, by the time I get to Cali, I only break down energy weapons because they break down into a smaller variety of mods and are therefore more likely to give me mods I want for cheap, then sell other weapons to buy mods I want if I can find them at a vendor. Seems more reliable that way.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I decided to try a Thick Skin (+2 AC -30% combat speed) 10 Str 10 Spd point man who I'm going to kit out with melee to start and then throw some heavy weapons on for thematic reasons. Giving him Mechanical Repair so he can grab Armor Maintenance for +1 AC in heavy armor, Shoulder the Load for -25% armor speed penalty, Toughness or whatever for +1 AC and I guess anything else that will improve his tanking or murdering. I'll let you guys know how far I get before I punch my computer in frustration. I assume Thick Skin works like Brittle Bones, so the 30% speed comes off after all other mods are figured in. Like a -0.4 combat speed item with Brittle Bones is subtracted before the halving.

E: The Armor Maintenance (Mechanical Repair) perk is for taking -20% damage from energy weapons. The +1 AC perk for heavy armor is on Weaponsmithing 8 I think? Regardless, it will still be part of my Robert Cop plan.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 27, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

All I know is that when I tried Thick Skin on a rifleman who very much didn't have 10 speed he was completely useless and I edited my save to undo it out of frustration. Good luck!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lotish posted:

So long as you're in Arizona, making weapon parts is incredibly good money
Until Mr. Broken Weapon Parts Bro just stops getting more scrap and you end up with 500 useless broken weapon parts :argh:

Or when you have the foresight to load one of your characters down with all your stuff from your stash when you leave Arizona...and...yeah. Well. I should have seen that unrealistic better-quality-of-life tweak coming.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Lotish posted:

All I know is that when I tried Thick Skin on a rifleman who very much didn't have 10 speed he was completely useless and I edited my save to undo it out of frustration. Good luck!

I've got a rifleman with with 1.0 Combat Speed from Brittle Bones, worked well enough on Supreme Jerk.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Does anyone in LA pay good cash money for Broken Weapon Parts? I thought someone did in WL2 but I can't remember.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

fennesz posted:

Does anyone in LA pay good cash money for Broken Weapon Parts? I thought someone did in WL2 but I can't remember.

If there is one I never found them.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

I read that if you dismiss NPCs in the same area you recruited them in they will NOT disappear. So far it seems to hold true for Ralphy, Chisel, and Takayama.

Also I was able to fix the glitched Tinker truce by saving and reloading right after the first engagement. That caused her to become non-hostile and it was possible to start dialog.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

So what's so good about Scotchmo other than the fact that he's a hobo with a shotgun? I mean, that's pretty huge, but still. I feel like there's no way in hell I'd get there early enough for him to be super OP given the cave filled with bastard animals on the way to Red's. As it stands, he's a solid Shotgunner addition with some minor Lockpick/Safecracking.

I finally, FINALLY have a game where I made it past the Highpool/Ag split without restarting, and I'm somewhat far I think (I have my rad suit, saved Highpool, dealt with Ag Center fallout, slaughtered every RSM so far, can't get into the prison proper cause of the turrets but spoiled that I'd get in later anyway, even hit up Darwin before finding out I lack the computer science to open the drat door right now, kicking around Rail Nomad town for now). but I cannot resist the urge to start over again and fix some mistakes, like giving one guy Bladed Weapons and Energy Weapons and Computer Science, cause even though he can get Roboticist, I'd rather have him stunning people with Brute Force. I think. I don't know, poo poo dies relatively quickly, and I just dismissed Angela for Scotchmo before realizing I have no shotgun for him, just hundred of shells, heh. Still slaughtering everything, kind of wish I had Rose instead of Vulture's Cry but VC is doing alright, if not carrying some lovely Combat Initiative.

Also it seems like 14+ CI lets you get turns WAY more often, not sure if it's confirmation bias or what.

What's the halfway point of the game? Damonta?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Eh, he's at a good level to "fix" his intelligence being one point off of an extra skill point, he already has a high shotgun investment for free if you don't want to use those on a "real" ranger (I like shotguns but a lot of them in this game are pretty not good) and he's on his way to getting Master Thief (though he's still going to be a long time getting there, really--something like 27 levels of solid lockpicking/safecracking investment if you fix his intelligence and get him at least two skill shrines). His high luck apparently comes into play a lot as you use him, but I tend to set him aside shortly after I get him because I already have rangers who do everything he can do without relying on luck.

You don't need Comp Sci to get into Darwin, technically; there's even an achievement for using the code from inside Finster's head that you can read back at Ranger Citadel.

I'd say the halfway point is a little after that part.

edit: Speaking of "why" companions, I'm going to be trying out Gary "NaCl" Wolfe this playthrough simply because he is the most difficult companion to recruit with the highest Charisma check in the game, but unless he's been updated for the DC, it looks like he's for some reason got the lowest total attribute scores in the game, and they're not very well placed. Don't know how long I'm gonna stick with him, but I've never even met him before, so I'm gonna try him out.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 27, 2015

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

...does the game end after the final mission or do I still get to explore? I feel like it probably ends.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

It ends, but you get to import your guys into a NG+ if you want to.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I created a character based around the shotgun perk Obliterator. Don't build a character around the shotgun perk Obliterator.

The only objects I've hit so far are wooden crates and it usually fucks me up more than anything.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, they did not put nearly enough destructible cover in this game to justify Obliterator. It would need to do something like reduce armor on all affected targets to keep the name and be useful. Most cover that the perk can affect will be destroyed by stray shots anyway as a function of normal gunfire.

Also, the Hunter perks are remarkably unreliable even when you max them out, and if they wanted to be useful they should reduce friendly fire damage by X% instead of the chance, or else the last perk should provide a 0% chance of friendly fire. You almost never are going to free aim to include someone in the blast, and when you do, it's really annoying to still do full damage to your teammates.

Basically, Jackhammers (and a few other shotguns) are good and shotguns with the Combat Shooting skill + Bloodthirsty perk are hilarious, but the actual shotgun perks are garbage.

Best shotgun perks are actually in the SMG and sniper trees.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 27, 2015

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Sankis posted:

Is Lexcanium's weapon upgradeable at all or is he doomed to be useless in the second map?

Weapon? You mean his metal fists? No it's not upgradeable but nothing stops you from giving him better unarmed weapon to keep using the brawling skill and train something else so he has a ranged option.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

rocketrobot posted:

But why the gently caress does the "Hollow Point" perk provide an Armor Piercing bonus? That's backwards as all get out.
I think that was just a naming flub which'll get patched, not 100% sure tho.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Lotish posted:

Yeah, they did not put nearly enough destructible cover in this game to justify Obliterator. It would need to do something like reduce armor on all affected targets to keep the name and be useful. Most cover that the perk can affect will be destroyed by stray shots anyway as a function of normal gunfire.

Also, the Hunter perks are remarkably unreliable even when you max them out, and if they wanted to be useful they should reduce friendly fire damage by X% instead of the chance, or else the last perk should provide a 0% chance of friendly fire. You almost never are going to free aim to include someone in the blast, and when you do, it's really annoying to still do full damage to your teammates.

Basically, Jackhammers (and a few other shotguns) are good and shotguns with the Combat Shooting skill + Bloodthirsty perk are hilarious, but the actual shotgun perks are garbage.

Best shotgun perks are actually in the SMG and sniper trees.

Really? I was thinking there was too much destructible cover. I had an enemy hide behind a car and Obliterator activated and destroyed the trunk. I agree that the Hunter perks should scale to 100% chance not to hit your allies though.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
The problem is the game doesn't tell you which cover is destructible and which isn't (at least, I never noticed it), so you can't really plan around it in any way.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Also you might blow the trunk's lid off, but the body of the car still counts as cover.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Brother None posted:

Yay. So... there's a patch coming soon? :D

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I haven't even gotten to a point where the Ranger fucks will let me in the Citadel yet, but am I the only one who buys a rad suit first thing by selling a few of those painkillers and then goes off stash hunting? I'm sure if I knew which skills to take etc I could have a full party before even touching the drat tower to find the repeaters. I only know where a few stashes are, but even a couple pieces of non-poo poo equipment make the early game far less terrible and the rad suit is only $200 base.

E: plus a few encounters around the Rail Nomad area will usually net you some solid assault rifles

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Pvt.Scott posted:

I haven't even gotten to a point where the Ranger fucks will let me in the Citadel yet, but am I the only one who buys a rad suit first thing by selling a few of those painkillers and then goes off stash hunting? I'm sure if I knew which skills to take etc I could have a full party before even touching the drat tower to find the repeaters. I only know where a few stashes are, but even a couple pieces of non-poo poo equipment make the early game far less terrible and the rad suit is only $200 base.

E: plus a few encounters around the Rail Nomad area will usually net you some solid assault rifles

Honestly, that's the hard way of getting upgrades. The radio tower question is really well balanced and tends to give you useful upgrades right away. Enough to get further and not struggle while moving on to the next quest or scrounging in hard areas, like Rail Nomads.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

rocketrobot posted:

Honestly, that's the hard way of getting upgrades. The radio tower question is really well balanced and tends to give you useful upgrades right away. Enough to get further and not struggle while moving on to the next quest or scrounging in hard areas, like Rail Nomads.

I can't hear you over the sound of how hardcore I am am.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

rocketrobot posted:

Yay. So... there's a patch coming soon? :D
We have a sizeable patch that QA is hammering away at now. Still no ETA, but not too far off.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Is there a Z key equivalent for consoles? I'm playing this on the Xbone and, for some reason, never thought to search for this thread. Just finished my second run of AgCenter after getting very frustrated with my character that had shotguns with the Opportunist perk, now I'm thinking of restarting again after reading those creation guides and learning that Rose will stay with me.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
This is my own personal opinion but, I say just play it out until you are bored or dead.. All the restart posts I see are because people are trying to play their own concept of a perfect run or disappointed with their stats. Which is fine. Problem is after every area you learn something new and you'll just want to restart every single step of your progression. I say play it out (have crazy weird fun with it) and when you've made it through some more areas or even completed it, THEN reroll your dudes and go for it.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.

Soonmot posted:

Is there a Z key equivalent for consoles? I'm playing this on the Xbone and, for some reason, never thought to search for this thread. Just finished my second run of AgCenter after getting very frustrated with my character that had shotguns with the Opportunist perk, now I'm thinking of restarting again after reading those creation guides and learning that Rose will stay with me.

Gonna +1 on this question. Lack of highlight is dragging the controller option down for me.

I know that people recommended Highpool before Ag Center. I picked Ag Center. Whoops. The post above says roll with it even though I don't get this supposedly :byodood: OH GOOD LORD, IMPORTANT TO STORY character. Can somebody give me some story cliff notes via spoiler taggery regarding the character I'm missing out on? I really don't feel like restarting again.

:negative:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Brother None posted:

Make sure you make all shotguns cost 2 AP because holy gently caress that skill is still worthless. Even when you're fighting dogs with no armor you still spend most of your AP moving, get one shot that misses half of them and your melee/pistols/rifles clean up.

e: There is also a really annoying audio bug in Angel Oracle. When you load in a deafening burst of static plays until the load finishes. Really nice when you're playing with headphones in.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 27, 2015

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm sticking with this run, but it's just sad that I've "wasted" attributes points in intelligence by pushing it to 6 and not 8 and tossed points into luck on all the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Luck isn't bad per se, it's just not optimal. It's still pretty useful, since it adds a passive 1%/level to your skill checks and has the random +AP/Con buffs.

• Locked thread