Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't think about it.

when in doubt, follow Selphie's advice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Kajeesus posted:

I'm not an av nerd, but I've been to airports. Most of them have reasonable names, like CPH for the Copenhagen airport, or CDG for Charles de Gaulle International. I guess by the time Pearson International was established, all the good abbreviations were taken. :shobon:
Most major airports get abbreviations that make sense as abbreviations of a kind, and smaller, private facilities get more confusing letter and number names. Canada's are like YYZ and the like because they're polite and meshes easier in the international community.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

SpookyLizard posted:

Most major airports get abbreviations that make sense as abbreviations of a kind, and smaller, private facilities get more confusing letter and number names. Canada's are like YYZ and the like because they're polite and meshes easier in the international community.

Canada's airport codes starting Y is an outgrowth of old weather station naming schemes; those were all prefixed with Y if they were colocated with an airport. When IATA came around, they just gave the airports the same names (usually) and set up some rules in case of overlap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Air_Transport_Association_airport_code actually has a ton of information on the exciting world of airport code rules. Excitement not guaranteed, but there you go.

this is probably my favorite LP thread derail in a long time. Sorry, Cool Ghost!

Saitorr
Dec 23, 2008

YES THE CARPET MATCHES THE DRAPES IN BOTH COLOR AND LENGTH

FeyerbrandX posted:

Im sad now we missed out on it being called "Fishy Ho"

Drag capital of the world.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Part Forty-Seven: Diplomats Horizon

Well, we've come to FH to talk to their people about fixing our house that we crashed into the poo poo.

They don't really want us here.

: (He's not wasting any time.)

I don't think people want SeeD around unless they're paying.

Mayor Dobe: Any idea when?
: I'm afraid not. We only discovered that our Garden is mobile a short while ago. Therefore, we don't even know how to move it. We're still in the process of understanding everything.

In all honesty, at this point we don't even know if we can fix the Garden.

Mayor Dobe: Our technicians will assist you. They should be able to repair and service everything. How does that sound?

Like good luck.

Naturally, Squall is a little hesitant about letting these guys into the place.

Don't be a prick to me, Station Master Dope.

: S'cuse me. Why do you want us to leave so bad?
: (Please just keep your mouth shut! They must have their reasons. Who cares?)

Squall is right that this is neither the time nor the place to have this discussion.

Mayor Dobe: We don't want military organizations in FH. You rely on force to solve problems. That is in direct defiance of our principles.
Flo: We believe that any problem can be settled by discussion. If you reach a mutual understanding, there is no need to fight.

That's our first little insight into FH. While the rest of the places we've seen have been worried about Galbadia or sorceresses, FH has decided to go for full pacifism. No wonder they don't want us here.

Squall agrees with the principle, if not the execution.

Mayor Dobe: Violence only leads to more violence. We believe your presence here will attract violence. That's why we want you to leave as soon as possible.

FH's stance makes sense when you consider that it's right in the middle of the two superpowers of the FFVIII world, and the people here were present for the war. They know full well that this world isn't a peaceful one, and they don't want to get killed for Galbadia's dick-waving contest.

Nothing else to do.

Dobe and Flo don't have anything new to say (they actually say their whole lines here, I just cut them short).

Before we leave, though, there's an important hidden Draw Point here!

Ultima is the poo poo. Not only is it a powerful spell, it's the best around for Junctioning. The only stats Ultima gets beat out in are Speed and Hit % (by Triple). One day, I'll collect a full set of 300 Ultima spells so I can slap 'em on everyone's Strength. Won't be today, though, 'cuz this bad boy never refills.

Outside, Quistis airs her opinion.

Squall is right, there's nothing to talk about here.

On our way up the stairs, a native FHer runs past us yelling about Galbadians.

That's, uh, a pretty big stretch.

Squall thinks they're here because of the Garden, too, but it doesn't really hold up if you think about it. If they even know the Garden's moving, the ocean is pretty big.

Dobe is kind of an rear end in a top hat, but I like his response here. At least he's a consistent rear end in a top hat.

: (Don't tell me he's going to try to reason with them.)

: (...He's dead.)

Squall's not optimistic about Dobe's chances.

Now that Galbadians have shown up, there are random encounters about. They're just basic Galbadian Army enemies, nothing particularly interesting.

People around town have some new things to say.

: Where is the station?
Woman: Just keep going straight and you'll run into it.

For example, we can get directions.

Drunkard: ...a bit gloomy... ...(hic) the mayor...

Or talk to a drunk guy. Fulfilling.

Hell, there's even a new news story on the FHorums.

Is this an audio response, or did he type out the hiccups like that? You decide.

I've never noticed the woman on this screen before. Huh.

Boatman: They just keep comin' from over there.

Maybe if you give it a go, you'll take out some G-Soldiers.

Fisherkid: I'm not afraid of those soldiers! My master'll take care of them......!

It just dawned on me that Fisherkid and the other FH kids are probably some of the only people in this world to not be close to some sort of military action on the reg.

What a pro. :allears:

Now, let's get over to the station.

There's Dobe!

: He may not want our help, but we might as well.

She seems so blasé about it. The SeeDs are the protagonists, but they're still not really good guys.

And here's Squall with a great question.

: (I wonder what they're talking about?)

Let's lend 'em an ear.

Well, that's interesting.

We don't really have time to ponder it, though.

Clearly someone needs to read a drat Emily Post.

Dobe's negotiation doesn't seem to be going well.

Galbadian Soldier: I'll start with you.

Well, we could rescue him, but...

: (Why is Edea looking for Ellone? We'd better listen a little longer.)
: Squall!
: What are you waiting for!?

Jesus, it's called "intelligence gathering". Maybe you've heard of it?

Wait, no, that's insane.

Of course, you can also just go in the first place.

Everyone's a little more receptive that way.

"Ehh, I'll rescue him once I get paid."
"Has anyone ever told you you're a dickhead?"

"Apparently, I'm a dickhead."

: We're SeeDs.
Galbadian Soldier: SeeDs! Get the Iron Clad over here!

There he goes again, bein' an rear end in a top hat.

While Squall's busy with that, some G-Soldiers show up.

This game's not set up for pincer attacks, so all the Galbadians grouped up.

Then they all died.

This could be useful at some point.

This will be useful at some point.

Something goes by on the bridge.

And then it jumps down to attack us.

...Wait, didn't we bust this thing up back at the Missile Base?

: Galbadia's latest weapon.
: Let's destroy this thing!

Well, someone's already done half the work on that one for us.

So, yes, this is the same boss that we fought back at the Missile Base, just a little worse for wear.

While I'm here, I decided to summon and show off FISHURURU.

This took a while, since GFs don't go off immediately (and I don't summon often, so everyone's got low Compatibility).

Eventually...

You can see in that second shot an effect the emulator doesn't like.

There's the big fish himself.

And there's some rocks he summoned.

Nice waterfall.

Not exactly blue-ribbon damage, though.

After a couple rounds of beating on it, the BGH blows up (as it does).

This is probably new.

And this is okay.

After the battle, the thing starts backing up.

...Shoulda checked your rearview, buddy.

Would ya look at that? Some Galbadian rear end in a top hat's crawlin' out.

Some familiar-lookin' Galbadian assholes.

Nah, I'm just messin', it's the Missile Base party.

Everyone does a salute.

Squall's happy that he didn't actually end up sending these guys to their deaths.

...But he plays it cool on the greeting.

: Zell, Irvine. It's great to see you guys.
: Say, what happened to the Garden?

Well, we screwed around with some poo poo in the basement then crashed it into a town.

: (A lot has happened...)

Oh yeah, and some guy gave me guff. He's dead now.

: The Garden is safe.

Well, uh, mostly safe.

You might wanna hold off 'til after it gets fixed.

: What happened to you guys?
: Squall, let's save that for later.

This is probably the least appropriate "let's put a pin in that" suggestion so far.

: (...I guess.)

Squall doesn't even want to wait on it.

: Quistis, Rinoa, why don't you guys take them back to the Garden? I'll see you guys later, after I take a look around.

And so, everyone wanders off.

Leaving Squall alone in the station square. Well, except for Rinoa. Let's chat with her.

: (Huh?)
: It was the first time I've seen you so honest. It was...really sweet.

Squall, not being a sterling conversationalist, is on his back foot here. Let's see what he has to say.

: Is that all?
: (What more does she want?)
: Ok. Well, it's great that everyone is all right.

She knows drat well that's not all, but she also knows that she's not going to get anywhere by pushing it.

: It must be a big relief for you, Squall.

He'll get there eventually.

That leaves us technically able to progress, but we've got a lot of dialogue to look at here.

: I was just happy to see that they were alright. What's so surprising about that? Is there something wrong?
: No! There's nothing wrong! They're your comrades, but moreover, they're your friends.
: (...Friends, huh?...)

This one's important because it's the first exchange that puts words to the change in dynamic within the party. They're not just six people who happen to work together anymore. Of course, Squall's still reticent.

: Hey Squall, would you have been worried about me, too? Y'know, if I were with them instead?
: (What? Why is she asking me this? I don't know.)

This is a great screen, I love it.

: (What...? No I'm not.)
: You're so cute! Taking it so seriously!

Some people say this game isn't charming... gently caress 'em.

But, what if we blow her off?

: You're exaggerating. It didn't mean anything.
: Huh? Yeah right.

Of course, she knows he's lying.

: What did you expect?
: I don't know. A little care and affection?

She doesn't like that.

: (Whatever.)
: Yes, I know. You're just being dishonest again. It's so funny. I know that deep down inside you care about them.
: (What's her problem? Leave me alone.)

And he knows she's right, too. This isn't my favourite scene here, but it's a good one.

: Ok, I'll leave you alone.

Compare this to Squall and Rinoa in the forest back before Galbadia Garden, or at the TV station, where they had similar discussions that didn't end anywhere near as well. It's kind of like Quistis asking Squall if he wants to go talk to a wall, where it highlights how the characters' relations have changed.

And there's something I haven't pointed out in a while, Squall turning away from his problems.

This line's always the same, but I like how it works with the scene - she's not giving up on him, even if he is gonna be a shithead about it.

But, now that that's all done, there's something else to look at. See, there's an entire other set of scenes if you send Rinoa to the Missile Base.

They begin with that well-worded exchange.

: I miss'd ya.

It's a good line.

: ...You know, I thought I was gonna die at the missile base.

There's a beat between the last line and this one.

And no question is posed directly, we just get to pick his response.

Kind of thick, isn't he?

She grabs her necklace before she answers here.

This one isn't a long scene. There's not a lot here, other than Squall being dense.

: I......wanted to...see you, too.
: Squall......

So she punches him in the stomach. And that's the lesson we can really learn here: if you tell people you care about them, they will harm you bodily.

And they'll be happy to do it.

That's why you should never care about anyone.

One more.

This is the best line since that one about not knowing.

She thinks about it for a second.

Then she starts laughing.

: ...Maybe?

He doesn't know what to say, either.

: Umm, I guess I'll let you off with that.

And that's the set of scenes for when Rinoa's sent to the Missile Base. They're clearly very different in content than if she went to the Garden with you; I like them, they're nice little chats between Squall and Rinoa. I'd say that I honestly prefer the ones if she's in the Garden party, though.

Cool Ghost fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 3, 2015

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
It's a little hard to tell if Squall is feeling :blush: or :shrug: when he talks funny in those scenes. Guess sometimes voice acting helps in scenes like this...sometimes.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Probably :blush: considering this is supposed to be a love story or something.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Alas FH, you're style of pacifism diplomacy only works on a macro scale and requires that you have some sort of effective deterrent. Being in the middle of the ocean is fine, being a major settlement on one of the direct-line connections between two continents kind of defeats that though.

'We can solve all our problems through discussion!'
'We want to kill all of you.'
'Let's talk about thi-'
'We're not willing to talk.'
'DIPLOMACY HAS FAILED'

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
one of your Squall lines has a Rinoa picture--the one that says "(What's her problem? Leave me alone.)"

still a great LP and another great update! I'd never seen the alternate scenes since I never send Rinoa to the missile base

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

This is actually really funny.

I never got to see any of Squall's bashfulness here, which of course is a big change for him - because I didn't like Rinoa at all when I played this game and so had him blow her off at every possible opportunity. This was also kinda funny in its own way, BUT of course the game has only one outcome between the two, so it really comes completely out of nowhere. I think the dialogue choices, while nice in allowing you to kind of role-play the characters a bit, completely falter in the face of how linear the story really is. Only when you do play as nice-to-Rinoa Squall, his later actions start making any sense.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think it's very telling of the FF8 world that not only is Dobe wrong in trying to negiotiate with Galbadians, but he's clearly a complete idiot for thinking that anything but violence will stop them. A lot of worse things happen to peaceful settlements in the series, but at least those house ancient magical artifacts, actually harbor dissidents and rebels, or possess some kind of military value. FH is literally in the middle of the ocean, with no connection to the outside world outside of a defunct transoceanic bridge. Even so, the military empire that owns half the world decided to raze it because some mystery character could feasibly be hiding there.

Dobe may not get any respect in the game, but I'm convinced that FH is the nicest place to live in the FF8 universe, and it's in no small part due to his attitude. :colbert:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
They also live on a bridge that takes you to Esthar. So they arent really irelevant as they like to think of themselves.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
So what? They could feasibly be taken as a military base if Galbadia wanted to stage an invasion of Esthar, but I don't think a single bridge is a very viable point of approach, and the Galbadian soldiers clearly have no interest in FH for that purpose.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Kajeesus posted:

I don't think a single bridge is a very viable point of approach

This is why you're never gonna make it in the Galbadian army, son.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Kajeesus posted:

So what? They could feasibly be taken as a military base if Galbadia wanted to stage an invasion of Esthar, but I don't think a single bridge is a very viable point of approach, and the Galbadian soldiers clearly have no interest in FH for that purpose.

For all they know FH could be infested with FILTHY Esthar spies. The last thing they want their base to have is those. Also the bridge is more useful as a supply line than anything. Would be pretty dumb to put youre entire attack force on a bridge that can be sabotaged.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kajeesus posted:

There are no beaches on the Esthar continent, land is the only way to go since airship technology isn't widespread. :colbert:

How the Galbadians later get to Esthar without going past FH in the future is a mystery.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

I never got to see any of Squall's bashfulness here, which of course is a big change for him - because I didn't like Rinoa at all when I played this game and so had him blow her off at every possible opportunity. This was also kinda funny in its own way, BUT of course the game has only one outcome between the two, so it really comes completely out of nowhere. I think the dialogue choices, while nice in allowing you to kind of role-play the characters a bit, completely falter in the face of how linear the story really is. Only when you do play as nice-to-Rinoa Squall, his later actions start making any sense.

Yeah you can see what they were going for but in the end the choices are just a shoe in that detracts from the overall game. I wonder how many of us actually ever gave the loving/ friendly responses to Rinoa? I know I certainly didn't as I've always thought she was an unlikable character but would've made the plot make a bit more sense, at least until the time travel starts.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I think Rinoa and Squall are cute.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
They might be cute but I prefer my sausage fest with Irvine and Zell. Mostly because back then I figured their limit breaks were the best.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

morallyobjected posted:

one of your Squall lines has a Rinoa picture--the one that says "(What's her problem? Leave me alone.)"

still a great LP and another great update! I'd never seen the alternate scenes since I never send Rinoa to the missile base

You noticed that too? I was wondering that.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

morallyobjected posted:

Silegna posted:

You noticed that too? I was wondering that.

I've fixed this now, thanks.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Simply Simon posted:

This is actually really funny.

It really is. Stick to your internal monologue, Squall, you're better at it :v:

LaCelestina
Sep 28, 2015

Grimey Drawer
One thing always bothered me... Why did Missile Team (MT--yeah, may as well abbreviate ALL things now) attacked us while in the tank? Was the tank out of control or something? Were they trying to test us? Was it payback for sending them on this suicide mission? :confused: I just never understood and it's never explained if my memory serves right... like a lot of things. Actually, never mind that. I forgot what game we were in.

I do like how the scene with Rinoa after MT returns presents a bit of a better, softer way to show that Squall is indeed warming up to his comrades. Whether he knows it or not. He's honest to a fault with his feelings on those extremely rare occasions he feels like showing them, and being so serious about it just adds to his charm. "Yeah, I'm happy. So? Got a problem with it?"

Also, I never knew about that scene sending Rinoa to be on MT. Infliction of bodily harm on loved ones is one of life's greatest mysteries.

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011

LaCelestina posted:

One thing always bothered me... Why did Missile Team (MT--yeah, may as well abbreviate ALL things now) attacked us while in the tank? Was the tank out of control or something? Were they trying to test us? Was it payback for sending them on this suicide mission? :confused: I just never understood and it's never explained if my memory serves right... like a lot of things. Actually, never mind that. I forgot what game we were in.

I always figured the MT hopped in the BGH and got trapped in there and have just been riding along with the GA while the tank is automatically or remotely piloted. Squall and co beating it up let them get free.
I'm sure you could make an argument that the GMB exploding welded the hatch shut or something.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

ZevGun posted:

I always figured the MT hopped in the BGH and got trapped in there and have just been riding along with the GA while the tank is automatically or remotely piloted. Squall and co beating it up let them get free.
I'm sure you could make an argument that the GMB exploding welded the hatch shut or something.

good post, ZG

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Never go full pacifism.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

LaCelestina posted:

It says in the Scan blurb that the tank is out-of-control (I should probably include those for bosses), and I think someone else might mention it later, but I'm not 100% sure.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Cool Ghost posted:

It says in the Scan blurb that the tank is out-of-control (I should probably include those for bosses), and I think someone else might mention it later, but I'm not 100% sure.

For being out of control, it's amazing that the Galbadians managed to extract it from the exploded missile base, transport it however many hundreds of miles to get it to FH, summoned it to battle on command, and had it attack its enemies exactly as planned- all without any input from the crew inside! Then again, considering how the missile base team "sabotaged" the launch by fixing all the Galbadian's problems at that clusterfuck of an operation, they probably were piloting it and attacking Squall. Because every day is opposite day with Selphie.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

What confused me to no end was how that thing ended up in Fishy Ho. So did they ship it via train without repairing it or checking on the crew? I assume Selphie punched buttons,thats why it's haywire,did she do a Galbadian Officer Act too? Which Train did they use? Did Selphie sing the Train Song?

I have questions about this obvious non-plothole.

Edit
efb

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Obviously the explosion launched it all of the way there, cartoon style

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

exethan posted:

Obviously the explosion launched it all of the way there, cartoon style

This is now canon.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Cool Ghost posted:

One of Selphie's blog posts at the Garden after this incident says the thing was out of control (remote controlled?) with them inside, and they were surprised to find themselves fighting Squall & Co.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is why you send Rinoa to the Missile Base. The scene between her and Squall with them saying they missed each other is probably the first kind of sweet and nice interaction they've had all game.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

NikkolasKing posted:

This is why you send Rinoa to the Missile Base. The scene between her and Squall with them saying they missed each other is probably the first kind of sweet and nice interaction they've had all game.

Rinoa just so badly wants to ask Squall if he ever knew she has her eyes on him

QuietMisdreavus
May 12, 2013

I'm fine. Nothing to worry about.

Two Finger posted:

Rinoa just so badly wants to ask Squall if he ever knew she has her eyes on him

I see what you did there.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

I've always liked this line. It's a little peek into a side of Squall's personality we don't see much.

Burger Flipper
Sep 14, 2015

by astral

Cool Ghost posted:

Selphie does mention something later about it, I don't remember exactly when though. It might even be in her section of the school's computer system.

Also, I always find it odd when I see anyone but Rinoa summoning Leviathan. Because of the demo, I always give it to her.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Silver Falcon posted:

One of Selphie's blog posts at the Garden after this incident says the thing was out of control (remote controlled?) with them inside, and they were surprised to find themselves fighting Squall & Co.
I think that same entry says that they were basically just hitting random buttons inside the tank trying to figure out how to get out of it, too.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
So wait, if they were stuck inside the tank, how many days did they go without food or water? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Iretep posted:

So wait, if they were stuck inside the tank, how many days did they go without food or water? :stare:

OR THE BATHROOM :barf:

• Locked thread