Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The Lord Bude posted:

I choose to refer to myself using the majestic plural.
Almost busted for account sharing there, bud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I don't really understand PCI express interfaces, if I want to buy 950 pro that requires a PCIe 3.0 x4 connection will that only work with a motherboard that has that specific interface? What about a motherboard like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K6JKRIA that only has 2xPCIe 3.0 x16 interfaces, can I use one for the video card and one for the SSD?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You can always plug a card that uses fewer lanes into a PCIe slot with more lanes than needed. You can also have a slot that has the length of more lanes than it actually provides, e.g. an x16 length slot that only connects 4 of the lanes. If you plugged an x16 card into that it would just have reduced data transfer speed.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pryor on Fire posted:

I don't really understand PCI express interfaces, if I want to buy 950 pro that requires a PCIe 3.0 x4 connection will that only work with a motherboard that has that specific interface? What about a motherboard like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K6JKRIA that only has 2xPCIe 3.0 x16 interfaces, can I use one for the video card and one for the SSD?

In that case you would be using the m.2 connector which is not the pci-e expansion slots you are used to. That motherboard has the m.2 connector but it says gen 2 and I think the best would be gen 3. Could be mistaken though.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

What on earth is an m2 connector? I just want to use PCIe 3.0 right?

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 26, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pryor on Fire posted:

What on earth is an m2 connector? I just want to use PCIe x3 right?

M.2 is the connector type used by the 950 Pro, it uses 4x PCIe 3.0 lanes on the PCIe bus for data transfer. This is a M.2 slot:

Some M.2 slots only support older versions of M.2 that use the SATA bus or PCIe via AHCI, the 950 Pro needs to use the PCIe bus via the NVMe standard to achieve it's full speed. The motherboard you linked earlier does support NVMe with it's M.2 slot, so it would work fine with the 950 pro.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Oh ok I just need to explicitly look for M.2 connectors with the NVMe standard then, gotcha. Thanks for the info- the last time I built a PC PCIe was used for absolutely nothing but video cards so this strange new world of bizarre connectors for other things is confusing to me.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Some M.2 slots only support older versions of M.2 that use the SATA bus or PCIe via AHCI, the 950 Pro needs to use the PCIe bus via the NVMe standard to achieve it's full speed. The motherboard you linked earlier does support NVMe with it's M.2 slot, so it would work fine with the 950 pro.
good news for everyone who got confused with mSATA / miniPCIe using the same mechanical interface!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

td4guy posted:

That 20% free would be overall. The easiest way to do that is to have 20% of the drive be unallocated space. Or just keep 10% free on each of the two partitions. Heck, you could probably keep 10% free on just one partition and be fine. 20% is a bit overkill, especially with modern SSD controllers doing their best to avoid write amplification (using the same blocks over and over again to write).

Don't worry about drive lifespan. Your SSD will outlast your computer. It has a 10 year warranty, and that's just the bare minimum.

As for performance, you should make sure that noatime is set in Fedora's fstab entry.
And enable Fedora's built-in fstrim.timer, which automatically runs a TRIM pass once a week.
Thanks, changes made. Do I need to do anything in fstab to tell it which drives to target with the TRIM pass, or will the hard drive controllers figure that out?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Flipperwaldt posted:

Almost busted for account sharing there, bud.

As if I'd have friends to share an account with. What sort of goon do you think I am?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I've been toying with the idea of getting an SSD to put steam and games on. Already have a Samsung 840 120GB that I only put Windows and programs on, so this one will go in separately. Is there any advantage in going in a PCIexpress one instead of SATA? Is there some sort of recommendation or sweet spot for a good, reliable SSD between 500GB to 1TB?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Vidaeus posted:

I've been toying with the idea of getting an SSD to put steam and games on. Already have a Samsung 840 120GB that I only put Windows and programs on, so this one will go in separately. Is there any advantage in going in a PCIexpress one instead of SATA? Is there some sort of recommendation or sweet spot for a good, reliable SSD between 500GB to 1TB?

You can get faster speeds with an NVMe enabled M.2 or PCIe SSD but they are very expensive, also you probably don't really need the speed, a SATA based SSD is plenty fast for most things. As for what to get the 850 EVO is considered the best blend of price, performance and reliability. Intel's stuff is rock solid but you pay for it.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Knormal posted:

Thanks, changes made. Do I need to do anything in fstab to tell it which drives to target with the TRIM pass, or will the hard drive controllers figure that out?
I'm pretty sure that the OS determines, on its own, which drives support TRIM. So you don't have to worry about it.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You can get faster speeds with an NVMe enabled M.2 or PCIe SSD but they are very expensive, also you probably don't really need the speed, a SATA based SSD is plenty fast for most things. As for what to get the 850 EVO is considered the best blend of price, performance and reliability. Intel's stuff is rock solid but you pay for it.

The 950 Pro comes out in NVMe format, but won't be available until December. It'll be roughly the same price as the 850 Pro based on it's storage capacity.

The 850 Evo comes with a 5 year warranty and the 500GB/1TB drives come with a 150 TB written limited warranty. The 850 Pro comes with a 10 year warranty and a 300 TBW Ltd Warranty on the 500GB/1TB drives.

The 850 Evo is acceptable for almost all use cases. I personally would suggest going for the 1TB just to alleviate having to worry about deleting games.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

WTF is this poo poo?

Anyone got a legit download link that isn't full of crapware?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Lum posted:

WTF is this poo poo?

Well if you wanna go the overclock.net forums "some dude with a dropbox link and yeah it looks legit I guess" route: http://www.overclock.net/t/1576258/samsung-magician-4-7-encountered-an-error-with-850-evo/10#post_24543131

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Lum posted:

WTF is this poo poo?

It's like Samsung goes out of it's way to find new and creative ways to suck.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

It's like Samsung goes out of it's way to find new and creative ways to suck.

This software doesn't recognise my SM951 as a Samsung drive!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's an OEM drive, which as far as I know Magician does not support -- regardless of whether the hardware inside is identical to a consumer SKU.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

nielsm posted:

Sounds like the Samsung 840 EVO issue, and a quick search indicates you aren't the only one. Maybe try the Samsung firmware update, see if it'll recognize the drive. Otherwise I'd say contact Lenovo support about the issue. (But they will probably tell you to do dumb things like flatten and reinstall.)

Edit: A flatten and reinstall actually will work around the problem, since that would basically re-write all data, and that will refresh the miscalibrated NAND.

I'm having trouble installing the firmware. Magician 4.7 has firmware update option grayed out, but the firmware it's running isn't the latest version. Magician 4.8 won't download because Samsung is so incredibly cheap that they've throttled the download. I've created a bootable USB from the image in the downloadable ISO but the boot menu doesn't list it for some reason. I have booted this PC from a USB before so I don't know why it's not working.

Does anyone have a good step-by-step thing to follow to create the bootable USB? I think I did it right but it's not working.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

SlayVus posted:

The 950 Pro comes out in NVMe format, but won't be available until December. It'll be roughly the same price as the 850 Pro based on it's storage capacity.

The 850 Evo comes with a 5 year warranty and the 500GB/1TB drives come with a 150 TB written limited warranty. The 850 Pro comes with a 10 year warranty and a 300 TBW Ltd Warranty on the 500GB/1TB drives.

The 850 Evo is acceptable for almost all use cases. I personally would suggest going for the 1TB just to alleviate having to worry about deleting games.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Thanks for the replies guys. Will probably go for a Samsung 1TB 850 EVO

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lum posted:

WTF is this poo poo?

I ran into this when the 2.6 (?) patch came out this spring. I can't even fathom how that warning page got past any web user-experience QA team at Samsung.

Of course, that would imply that there's a user-experience QA team at Samsung.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Techreport says:

quote:

The 950 Pro doesn't scale as well in our synthetic random workloads as the Intel drives do, and it delivers middling performance that's comparable to SATA SSDs in our sustained random write tests. Samsung's own SM951 is often faster—sometimes, a lot faster—in some tests, as well, even if it doesn't scale as well as the 950 Pro in others. We've pinged Samsung to ask whether our results with the 950 Pro in these areas are somehow atypical

Bummer, Sounds like maybe firmware issues. I really don't get why the SM951 is a lot faster in some cases. Shouldn't be like that. They did mention thermal throttling in the article but who knows.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

The anand review indicated that yes thermal throttling happens often:

quote:

Comparing the graphs of the two 950s shows that the inconsistency of the 512GB drive comes from frequent jumps in performance above a solid baseline. This pattern holds even for the test with overprovisioning. Graphing the power consumption over time (not shown) reveals that the periods of lower performance have lower power. If the lower performance were due to periodic background garbage collection, then we would expect power consumption to be at least as high as when the drive is performing well. Instead, it appears that the 512GB drive is experiencing thermal throttling.

With most of its time spent thermally limited, our 512GB sample's low average is explained. It appears that the thermal throttling mechanism is bumping the drive down to one of several discrete performance levels, rather than a continuous performance mechanism.

I don't think this will be a huge problem for your typical desktop user but it's something to keep an eye on, hopefully they improve on this.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I think I said this before, but these are going to rewrite direct airflow over the card or putting done vrm heatsinks on them.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

In a way that'a really loving cool, we have storage so fast that we need to put heatsinks on it because the heat from reading data is becoming too much. Like drat, good work boys.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pryor on Fire posted:

In a way that'a really loving cool, we have storage so fast that we need to put heatsinks on it because the heat from reading data is becoming too much. Like drat, good work boys.

Its actually the controller that gets hot but yeah this is why I mentioned the Intel 750 with the gigantic heatsink earlier in the thread. The m.2 form factor is going to be a bit hard to cool but i'm sure its fixable.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I can't get my computer to recognize a boot able USB drive with Samsung's evo firmware iso on it. I've tried a few different utilities to create bootable USB drives but none have worked. I've also tried using the disk image in the Samsung iso. The bios just won't recognize it as a bootable volume. Samsung website says to use a cd or dvd but I don't have an optical drive. Magician firmware update button remains greyed out.

What do I do at this point? Buy an external optical drive? I really wish Samsung magician would install firmware like it's apparently supposed to.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Internet says try Rufus:

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Leave the default settings and point it to the .ISO. It should be able to make a bootable USB stick.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

redeyes posted:

Its actually the controller that gets hot but yeah this is why I mentioned the Intel 750 with the gigantic heatsink earlier in the thread. The m.2 form factor is going to be a bit hard to cool but i'm sure its fixable.
M.2 drives that use SATA3 on the other hand don't go above 45c.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

M.2 drives that use SATA3 on the other hand don't go above 45c.

Very true. It's the NVMe controller that are pretty hot running right now.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I think you could fit a heatsink on the controller comfortably even in a laptop. It would probably be right against the case.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Does the controller of a 950 face upward in most m.2 slots?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The 950 pro are one sided. There is a two sided version with 1tb of storage scheduled for early 2016.

The orientation of the slot should have all the storage chips and controller chip facing away from the board.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

redeyes posted:

Internet says try Rufus:

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Leave the default settings and point it to the .ISO. It should be able to make a bootable USB stick.

I have been trying Rufus :cry:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Arglebargle III posted:

I have been trying Rufus :cry:

Make sure the USB stick you want to boot off of is in a USB 2.0 port, often the uppermost/leftmost one looking at the port plate. Sometimes BIOSes don't like to recognize the USB 3.0 ports or even extra USB 2.0 controllers.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I will have a spare 2242 m.2 drive for my next desktop build. If I buy a motherboard with an m.2 slot, do I need to worry about propping up the other end? Is the hookup strong enough that the drive will hold steady even though it doesn't reach all the way to the 80mm screw that normally holds drives in place?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

What's the deal with the sandisk/ocz type offbrand SSDs that newegg keeps bundling and selling in 2-4 packs?

for example today there's this

a few days ago there was this

they may have done it recently with corsair/mushkin ssds too iirc

Do any/all of these still have unacceptably high failure rates? I've bought nothing but samsung since the OCZ sandforce days for my own daily use machines but for example id like to upgrade my parents for xmas without breaking the bank (but only if I can reasonably expect the drives to reliably live long lives)

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 29, 2015

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Goatfather posted:

What's the deal with the sandisk/ocz type offbrand SSDs that newegg keeps bundling and selling in 2-4 packs?

for example today there's this

a few days ago there was this

they may have done it recently with corsair/mushkin ssds too iirc

Do any/all of these still have unacceptably high failure rates? I've bought nothing but samsung since the OCZ sandforce days for my own daily use machines but for example id like to upgrade my parents for xmas without breaking the bank (but only if I can reasonably expect the drives to reliably live long lives)

OCZ is now Toshiba and most likely is a fine quality SSD now, problem is OCZ tanked their reputation a long time ago so people avoid them. This is a way to get rid of stock that no one wants to buy. The Kingston SSD is ok, a bit slow, but still a SSD. Just a basement bargin SSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

redeyes posted:

OCZ is now Toshiba and most likely is a fine quality SSD now, problem is OCZ tanked their reputation a long time ago so people avoid them. This is a way to get rid of stock that no one wants to buy. The Kingston SSD is ok, a bit slow, but still a SSD. Just a basement bargin SSD.

Problem is, Samsung is hammering at the price point AND maintaining excellent quality. Why bother giving Toshiba/OCZ a chance now? Pay a few bucks more and get one of the best in class consumer drives.

• Locked thread