Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
As a kid watching it on VHS I always just stopped it after Movie 2 ended.

Because Movie 3 was really boring and lovely. Looked pretty though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Burkion posted:

The VHS with The Titan A.E. trailer and that bloody Angela Anaconda short?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Onmi posted:

The VHS with The Titan A.E. trailer and that bloody Angela Anaconda short?

That's the one!

Never understood why they had to include AA on it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Burkion posted:

That's the one!

Needed something to make the third part of the film look better.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

drrockso20 posted:

Really makes one wonder how much better D:TM would have been if they had used Movie 4 instead of Movie 3, heck I remember as a kid finding the Movie 3 portions lame cause they were only using Armor Evolutions when the show had already gotten to introducing the gen 2 Adult Stages(can't remember if they had gotten to Jogress Evolution yet), and Magnamon was old news by then(although Rapidmon Gold and seeing Seraphimon and MagnaDramon was pretty neat)

Come to think of it, if I knew how to edit videos I'd be tempted to create an edit of D:TM replacing the Hurricane Touchdown portion with the dub for Movie 4, maybe make a couple additional edits as well as needed

I fairly certain they were only at the second set of Armor evolutions since I remember it being awesome to see Raidramon early.

FAKE EDIT: Looking at the release dates. The movie Premiered October 6, 2000 and the episode Raidramon first appeared in aired October 7, 2000

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

mateo360 posted:

I fairly certain they were only at the second set of Armor evolutions since I remember it being awesome to see Raidramon early.

FAKE EDIT: Looking at the release dates. The movie Premiered October 6, 2000 and the episode Raidramon first appeared in aired October 7, 2000

A whole day early.

Also, I remember only really rewatching the Our War Games segment when I was younger. Though, the first part was bad.

Also, even at 7 years old, I remember that AA short being embarrassing to watch.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Covok posted:

A whole day early.

Also, I remember only really rewatching the Our War Games segment when I was younger. Though, the first part was bad.

Also, even at 7 years old, I remember that AA short being embarrassing to watch.

You should rewatch the subbed titleless Digimon Adventure movie, it's really good. Hosada does amazing work. I believe this movie was the preview for the actual anime.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
That's weird. I didn't mean to say bad. I meant to say good. And that's not me doubling back, I honestly meant to say good. I'm kind of confused how I typoed that.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The thing that always amused me about the dub of movie three that landed in Digimon the movie is that they edited it down so severely that they actually cut out pretty much the main plot of the movie. It also says something about the narrative quality of Hurricane Touchdown/Golden Digimentals that it isn't even that noticeable. It really is quite pretty though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Omnicrom posted:

The thing that always amused me about the dub of movie three that landed in Digimon the movie is that they edited it down so severely that they actually cut out pretty much the main plot of the movie. It also says something about the narrative quality of Hurricane Touchdown/Golden Digimentals that it isn't even that noticeable. It really is quite pretty though.

They did?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Yes, something about the original Digidestined disappearing and time travel. I don't remember the complete plot but yeah, they cut out a lot from movie 3

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

mateo360 posted:

Yes, something about the original Digidestined disappearing and time travel. I don't remember the complete plot but yeah, they cut out a lot from movie 3

I guess that's one way to explain why they aren't helping. You'd think that kind of detail would be so central that even chop shopping the scenes wouldn't be enough to completely remove it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Geostomp posted:

I guess that's one way to explain why they aren't helping. You'd think that kind of detail would be so central that even chop shopping the scenes wouldn't be enough to completely remove it.

Well the cast are also visibly ageing down and that's never brought up

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Onmi posted:

Well the cast are also visibly ageing down and that's never brought up

yes it is, it's handwaved away by the big bad is doing it for reasons.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Burkion posted:

That's the one!

At the time, Digimon was on fox kids and AA was also a big part of that children's cartoons block.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Yep. Wendimon's entire motive for that movie was that it was trying to find Wallace again, but only remembered Wallace as he was when he was much younger. This coupled with going viral and insane led Wendimon to deciding to go around abducting kids with original Digivices to see if he could find which one was Wallace. The movie opens with scenes of all the older 99 character completely vanishing, later on they reappear in a weird little pocket world and start getting younger with the implication that Wendimon was eventually going to de-age them out of existence. There's a scene where Mimi literally disappears right in front of Takeru and Hikari, which is how they get into the plot. This is why the 02 cast randomly get younger during the last part of the movie as well as Cherubimon tries to do the same thing to the 02 cast. This comprised quite a lot of footage but it wasn't even the only stuff cut, I believe that movie 3 lost about 20 minutes out of its hour length running time going from Japan to America. Like I said though the Japanese version really wasn't much better.

The whole movie is about chasing down the memories of the time Wallace and Cocomon spent together. The whole reason that Wallace is trying to get to that flower field is because it's where he remembers being with Cocomon, and he's apparently put together it's about the only thing Cocomon remembers from before randomly being infected with evil. Wendimon destructively chasing his nostalgia was a big deal. Of course once again I'm making it much clearer than the way the movie tells it. Movie 3 is very very pretty and has gorgeous cinematography and artistic visuals and a truly excellent and haunting score, but it also really could have used a writer and an editor.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion posted:

The full original movie isn't much better. Probably the worst Digimon movie ever.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Nirvikalpa posted:

The full original movie isn't much better. Probably the worst Digimon movie ever.

How much did the full original have? It seemed like the English cut had the majority of it, or at least the important part of a dinosaur wrestling a parrot.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Bee posted:

How much did the full original have? It seemed like the English cut had the majority of it, or at least the important part of a dinosaur wrestling a parrot.

From what I remember movies 1 & 2 had minimal editing compared to what happened to movie 3

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Onmi posted:

that bloody Angela Anaconda short

Wow, now there's a memory I had stuffed deep down inside.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Tri ch1 will be sold on home video on December 18th.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

From what I remember movies 1 & 2 had minimal editing compared to what happened to movie 3

The original was around 70 minutes as was cut down to 40. So you all tell me.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

drrockso20 posted:

Correct. Very little was cut from movies 1 and 2, probably because those were the movies they actually WANTED to bring over to America. That's not to say there were absolutely no cuts (they shortened a couple of sequences), but the plots and movies were adapted more or less straight with the usual margin of error expected by Digimon's dub.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
http://www.sky.de/programm-entdecken/aktuelle-highlight/beitragID/6491964

German Animax will show Reunion on the 22nd, Japanese with subs, so I think it's a pretty safe bet that the iTunes release will have subs for several language, so this Friday it's out even for us!

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Is there any news on non-iTunes releases?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New Cyber Sleuth stream

http://www.twitch.tv/bandainamcoeurope

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Kuroyama posted:

The way streaming rights work makes me highly doubt there'll be any non-iTunes release, at least initially.

Crunchyroll or Netflix might snap up the rights later, but you can be certain that if Apple paid for e-distribution rights, they're not going to allow competitors.

Classy Hydra fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 19, 2015

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Kuroyama posted:

If you go to theaters in Japan you can buy the BD while you buy the ticket to see it. Regular retail for DVD/BD will happen on December 18th, so it looks like for international fans iTunes is the safest bet.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
falling on my katana till the 29th

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Digimon Adventure tri will be on Crunchyroll from tomorrow 7 am (PST) for all non-Europeans.

I'm honestly amazed, I expected a gigantic wait. This is great. I'll be able to bitch about this with actual material behind me!

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Blaze Dragon posted:

Digimon Adventure tri will be on Crunchyroll from tomorrow 7 am (PST) for all non-Europeans.

I'm honestly amazed, I expected a gigantic wait. This is great. I'll be able to bitch about this with actual material behind me!

Isn't that fortuitous.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The world is beautiful and perfect and so very nice.

Kinda interesting that they say it's the first four episodes, I know it was originally intended to be an anime, and the length of it does suggest four episodes stitched together, but I sorta figured they'd just wanna not put attention to that and play it all as movies.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Mods, requesting a name change to KNIFE OF DAY.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Guess this is good as anything to blow a free trial of crunchyroll. I shelved this show in my brain for the past thirteen years (when did Tamers end?) and revisiting it seems a bit strange. Nostalgia is a wacky thing. Reading about the cuts made to the american "movie" definitely gives me a lot more sympathy for Nimoy. Poor guy got ragged on for a ton of poo poo that he couldn't do anything about. I'd buy him a drink if I could.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So, uh, is it curt to say "Series over, Problem Solved" like, three minutes into this?

Because I'ma say it and I'm not going to feel too bad about it.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Toei need to get in the sea for not making that World Wide Minus Japan.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

Mods, requesting a name change to KNIFE OF DAY.

The edge of that name is razor sharp.

Just finished it.

The damnedest thing is absolutely no one mentioning the 02 cast. There's no mention at all. It's strange and a bit awful. It's clear that there are other digidestined in the world (I dunno what the literal translation of whatever they used was) given Takeru on the website, but no mention o the others. Poof!

I guess Takeru's finally old enough to realize the social costs of all of that monster fighting in the city that they've been doing and it's left him a feeling a lack of courage. Jou's totally absent from the movie for the most part. Izzy (forgot his japanese name) is a loving genius and must be loaded now. Also, his mom still buys his clothes. Tailmon's voice is super jarring since I've never heard the original before.

New character and their digimon are the targets of the digimon bad guys and the human organization it seems. I really dislike that plot development. I feel like this would've been better if it was paced as a two cour rather than as six movies broken up into 24 episodes.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Toei need to get in the sea for not making that World Wide Minus Japan.

Another licensor has it in Europe, but feel free to blame Toei I guess.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Tri is good, going to suck waiting till April

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

Onmi posted:

Tri is good, going to suck waiting till April

My thoughts. Watching the kids actually deal with growing up is great, and the fights had a really nice, destructive kaiju-battle feel. Loved when Alphamon grabbed Birdramon and just blasted her at point blank range. Looking forward to the next one. Though I wonder who gets the job of telling Jou to get his priorities straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghost sex
May 19, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

The damnedest thing is absolutely no one mentioning the 02 cast. There's no mention at all. It's strange and a bit awful. It's clear that there are other digidestined in the world (I dunno what the literal translation of whatever they used was) given Takeru on the website, but no mention o the others. Poof!

at least they do show up on the agency's computer... with unknown coordinates. this, the opening sequence, and kari's and tk's d-3s imply they'll address it at some point. maybe. it's definitely weird that they wouldn't vocally talk about the poo poo that happened a few years ago in-universe