Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

This is goddamn comedy gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

This is goddamn comedy gold.

Gonna have to start using the term "continuous incineration" now :v:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Holy poo poo. I normally don't have physical reactions to things I read but:

Cards Against DevOps posted:

An Exchange email loop

took me back to a very dark weekend. :negative:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Docjowles posted:

Gonna have to start using the term "continuous incineration" now :v:

My favorites

• Brogrammers
  • Women in Tech
  • An angry whale making GBS threads containers
  • A 50k line Bash script that's achieved self awareness
  • Standing around outside on the streets of SOMA with an overheating laptop drunk while fixing your god drat Saturday night deployment.
  • Wearing protection during peer programing.
  • Richard Stallman's Neckbeard
  • Ops doing dev = technical debt

EpicCareMadBitch
Dec 20, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

My favorites

• Brogrammers
  • Women in Tech
  • An angry whale making GBS threads containers
  • A 50k line Bash script that's achieved self awareness
  • Standing around outside on the streets of SOMA with an overheating laptop drunk while fixing your god drat Saturday night deployment.
  • Wearing protection during peer programing.
  • Richard Stallman's Neckbeard
  • Ops doing dev = technical debt

Brogrammers are the best

EpicCareMadBitch fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 29, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

oaok posted:

how hard is the cissp?

I found it fairly easy, but I had years of experience in several of the domains they test when I took it. I know my weakness was Legal and Development Methodologies. I got mine in 2003 and have maintained it with CPEs since.

If you think you'd consider yourself a mid-level/intermediate security professional, buy a prep book and some Boson practice exams (may be unnecessary as most prep books give access to practice tests).

If you're just starting you may wish to get some more experience or training. There's nothing stopping you from getting a book o gauge your readiness for the test.

Edit: wait. What? Your comment completely changed. Did you change it, or is this the SA app that messed up?

EDIT: vvv Well, poo poo. Now I look like the king of non-sequiturs. OK, so just general info if anyone wants to take CISSP then.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 29, 2015

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

flosofl posted:

I found it fairly easy, but I had years of experience in several of the domains they test when I took it. I know my weakness was Legal and Development Methodologies. I got mine in 2003 and have maintained it with CPEs since.

If you think you'd consider yourself a mid-level/intermediate security professional, buy a prep book and some Boson practice exams (may be unnecessary as most prep books give access to practice tests).

If you're just starting you may wish to get some more experience or training. There's nothing stopping you from getting a book o gauge your readiness for the test.

Edit: wait. What? Your comment completely changed. Did you change it, or is this the SA app that messed up?

He changed it.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Alright guys; dumb question that google isnt helping with.

http://networkdiagram101.com/?page_id=334

I'm trying to get my connectors to have the same sort of perspective effect shown on this page. I'm strugging and cant seem to find any notes as to how to do that. Any ideas?

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Walked posted:

Alright guys; dumb question that google isnt helping with.

http://networkdiagram101.com/?page_id=334

I'm trying to get my connectors to have the same sort of perspective effect shown on this page. I'm strugging and cant seem to find any notes as to how to do that. Any ideas?

You want isometric/oblique connectors.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Richard Noggin posted:

You want isometric/oblique connectors.

Yeah; found them and came back to report. Thank you! Now if only I could source visio shapes that are actually isometric. So many are just slightly off I'm kinda losing my mind.

2d Flat diagram it is.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
I'm a cloud-ready scrum master. Once I get 20 up-Yams this convo is done done.

And I really hate the phrase technical debt. Anyone invoking it is basically saying they're smarter than everyone else, right?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Roargasm posted:

And I really hate the phrase technical debt. Anyone invoking it is basically saying they're smarter than everyone else, right?
are you a great troll or are you just new to the industry

this is like invoking the pretentious clause against the phrase "best practices"

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Roargasm posted:

I'm a cloud-ready scrum master. Once I get 20 up-Yams this convo is done done.

Not always. I only use it when someone is sticking on old software because upgrading is too hard today -- it's a mortgage that won't disappear or get any smaller just because you skip a payment.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Roargasm posted:

Not in my experience. It can just mean that a decision was made in the past that is causing headaches or wasted time in the present, and it's going to cost extra time to change it. It doesn't mean they were stupid for making that decision or even that it wasn't the best decision at the time for whatever reason.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Managing technical debt is the single most important thing you can do in IT and should be considered in any action you take.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
its a dumb phrase hth

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Just checking in to say SCCM takes forever. It works, but it takes forever.

And I'm impatient. Worst combination.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of "best practices" - and forgive me, because I already think this sounds like a stupid question - is there possibly a good website or book that I might consult when attempting to draft department policies on things like documentation, share ownership, etc.? Like just a generalized list of industry standard best practices?

Or do I need to take ITIL? :ohdear: (I am not taking ITIL.)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Speaking of "best practices" - and forgive me, because I already think this sounds like a stupid question - is there possibly a good website or book that I might consult when attempting to draft department policies on things like documentation, share ownership, etc.? Like just a generalized list of industry standard best practices?

Or do I need to take ITIL? :ohdear: (I am not taking ITIL.)
Best practice is to first ask, for any policy, does this really need a policy, or is there a better way to get people to do the right thing?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Walked posted:

Just checking in to say SCCM takes forever. It works, but it takes forever.

And I'm impatient. Worst combination.

Hoo boy let me introduce you to XMODEM.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Vulture Culture posted:

Best practice is to first ask, for any policy, does this really need a policy, or is there a better way to get people to do the right thing?

I'm a little surprised by this answer. Even if you trust your employees to follow common-sense procedures (which I do), when and if something comes up where they don't know the best way to handle it, wouldn't you want them to potentially be able to first consult some sort of documentation first, as opposed to "let me check with my boss" every time? So that the guidelines (perhaps a better word than "policy") don't just exist in the manager's head?

Most of what I'm talking about is just implementing things like "Share owners need to be documented, and that documentation will be stored in X location." Not crap like dress codes or other stupid things, just things to streamline procedures mostly.

Maybe my question was overly vague?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I'm a little surprised by this answer. Even if you trust your employees to follow common-sense procedures (which I do), when and if something comes up where they don't know the best way to handle it, wouldn't you want them to potentially be able to first consult some sort of documentation first, as opposed to "let me check with my boss" every time? So that the guidelines (perhaps a better word than "policy") don't just exist in the manager's head?

Most of what I'm talking about is just implementing things like "Share owners need to be documented, and that documentation will be stored in X location." Not crap like dress codes or other stupid things, just things to streamline procedures mostly.

Maybe my question was overly vague?
That's a procedure, not a policy.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Vulture Culture posted:

That's a procedure, not a policy.

Noted! Please believe that I'm trying not to be pedantic/argumentative here but they seem like they're intertwined. For example, you have policies like "Staff are allowed a replacement laptop X amount of time after the initial purchase date" which is a policy. You then have procedures like "Assuming the policy for laptop replacement has been satisfied, the procedure is <whatever>."

It seems like these two things could easily reside in the same area/document.

Ultimately I think I can handle writing things up myself, but again if there's some place with generalized starting points it could probably be useful.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

go3 posted:

its a dumb phrase hth

What can I say, there's a lot of lovely IT guys out there.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Noted! Please believe that I'm trying not to be pedantic/argumentative here but they seem like they're intertwined. For example, you have policies like "Staff are allowed a replacement laptop X amount of time after the initial purchase date" which is a policy. You then have procedures like "Assuming the policy for laptop replacement has been satisfied, the procedure is <whatever>."

It seems like these two things could easily reside in the same area/document.

Ultimately I think I can handle writing things up myself, but again if there's some place with generalized starting points it could probably be useful.
Things in business, as in life, are related to each other. We have different words for red and blue even though you can mash them into the same area/document and make purple instead.

There are a lot of problems with excess reliance on policy and procedure, most of which stem from people's bad assumptions that their presence will improve things on their own. (Sidney Dekker's "The Field Guide to Understanding Human Error" is a valuable read for anyone considering standardizing any kind of policy or procedure, ever.) Removing people's autonomy doesn't help. You need to actually convince people of the right way of doing things, or you'll end up with a binder full of policies and procedures and a bunch of work where people's shortcuts have been swept under the carpet. The whole system is actively designed for safety, or none of it is. You can't pontificate your way to a streamlined IT operation.

The broader point is this: if you need templates to give you ideas for policies, you don't need those policies. A policy should be put in place to solve a specific problem. It should be removed when it's no longer needed. Similarly, most documentation is write-once-read-never. Document when there's actual stakes to not having the documentation, like working on the wrong system or not being able to find somebody's data. Flooding a wiki with hundreds of pages that no one will ever read hurts your signal-to-noise ratio instead of improving productivity. You also dramatically increase your chances of some of that information being out-of-date. In almost every instance, incorrect documentation is worse than no documentation.

Fire codes exist for a reason. So do bad builders. Be aware that actually enforcing any policy will take you man-hours and money to audit to ensure that things are actually being done to spec. This is worthwhile when there are human lives on the line. It's probably not worthwhile so you don't have to hypothetically figure out who owns a share (hint: right-click a file and find out who its owner is) some day five years from now. Communicate with your coworkers, get people on board with a sane way to do things, and do the best you can.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 29, 2015

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
how do you guys resist the urge to check into jobs when you're getting calls from recruiters like once a day? I really need to sit my rear end down for a length of time at one place but I always like to at least hear about different spots that are open in my area and some of them seem to pay a lot more...

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
No need for me to resist. I don't get recruiter calls like that at this point in my life (may change moving forward? or I'm just hopeful)

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

ChubbyThePhat posted:

No need for me to resist. I don't get recruiter calls like that at this point in my life (may change moving forward? or I'm just hopeful)

If someone told me a year ago that I'd be getting blown up about legitimate openings I wouldn't have believed them. It sucks because I dont want to be labelled as a job hopper but when an opportunity rolls in to interview for a spot making 50% more and comes with a secret clearance it's hard to not at least check it out.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I was going to ask how you guys actually interview for positions in-person while you have full-time jobs, but I guess you'd just schedule it in advance and call in sick or something huh?

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I was going to ask how you guys actually interview for positions in-person while you have full-time jobs, but I guess you'd just schedule it in advance and call in sick or something huh?

Well at my last job I was working 5am - 1pm (didn't agree to that at the interview and was told 8-5 in offer letter), so that made it easy. I haven't really interviewed anywhere since I got my new job, but it's really laid back and no one cares where I am most of the time so I can definitely disappear for a "Dr. Appointment". I haven't been really looking but I don't get a chance to really utilize a lot of stuff I've been learning either. Definitely should have asked for more money when interviewing for my current spot though.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Or schedule it during lunch or just after hours. Would consider scheduling at the very end of the day and clocking out 45mins early or something. Calling in is obviously the easy answer though.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

If it's a job you actually want, just take the day off and make up an excuse if anyone asks.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

psydude posted:

If it's a job you actually want, just take the day off and make up an excuse if anyone asks.

Personal time.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Vulture Culture posted:

Things in business, as in life, are related to each other. We have different words for red and blue even though you can mash them into the same area/document and make purple instead.

There are a lot of problems with excess reliance on policy and procedure, most of which stem from people's bad assumptions that their presence will improve things on their own. (Sidney Dekker's "The Field Guide to Understanding Human Error" is a valuable read for anyone considering standardizing any kind of policy or procedure, ever.) Removing people's autonomy doesn't help. You need to actually convince people of the right way of doing things, or you'll end up with a binder full of policies and procedures and a bunch of work where people's shortcuts have been swept under the carpet. The whole system is actively designed for safety, or none of it is. You can't pontificate your way to a streamlined IT operation.

The broader point is this: if you need templates to give you ideas for policies, you don't need those policies. A policy should be put in place to solve a specific problem. It should be removed when it's no longer needed. Similarly, most documentation is write-once-read-never. Document when there's actual stakes to not having the documentation, like working on the wrong system or not being able to find somebody's data. Flooding a wiki with hundreds of pages that no one will ever read hurts your signal-to-noise ratio instead of improving productivity. You also dramatically increase your chances of some of that information being out-of-date. In almost every instance, incorrect documentation is worse than no documentation.

Fire codes exist for a reason. So do bad builders. Be aware that actually enforcing any policy will take you man-hours and money to audit to ensure that things are actually being done to spec. This is worthwhile when there are human lives on the line. It's probably not worthwhile so you don't have to hypothetically figure out who owns a share (hint: right-click a file and find out who its owner is) some day five years from now. Communicate with your coworkers, get people on board with a sane way to do things, and do the best you can.

So I should say at the very beginning that I genuinely appreciate the insight. And I recognize now that looking for generalized policies rightfully sounds some alarm bells of the worst kind of bureaucracy but I promise I'm not going there.

At the same time, I'm a little surprised to see such a strong reaction to my being interested in writing up some guidelines (I recognize that this is the third term I've used for the same thing, we're in a muddled white color now) to give the department a starting point to base their decisions off of. We're a little too reliant on gradually acquired "institutional knowledge" here and decisions are made by my director largely through whim. It gets frustrating.

As my director seems to believe that things have more power when written down, I'm writing some commonsense things down, with his backing. People will still be free to use their own judgment, though. And this is a collaborative project - I'm not just going to throw these at people (or pontificate, like you said). I know for a fact that the technicians that work with me would like to have things like this to go off of.

But, we are missing basic documentation - things that do have importance, like my example of a shared folder. I don't mean the literal OS-level "owner" of a folder (it's pretty much always going to be my predecessor), I mean which department uses this (this is easily found) and which non-IT staff determine who gets access to it? Very basic things like this aren't notated anywhere or known by anyone. I'm not looking to develop a signed policy on how to replace a hard drive, but there are some things that need to be noted somewhere.

Ultimately I'd like to improve things here, however incrementally. I think one aspect of that is going to be getting things a little more structured than they are, while still allowing for people to use their own judgment. This is only one part of a lengthy process that I'm sure I won't see the end of.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 29, 2015

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

:munch: https://www.twitchinstalls.com/

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I'd say there's a 50/50 chance that it actually gets installed without a hitch.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Is arch linux more difficult to install than other distros or something?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

psydude posted:

yeah idgi

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

psydude posted:

It's more that hundreds of thousands of people at once will be inputting commands to move the mouse, hit buttons, etc, the same way as that pokemon stream thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

psydude posted:

I think the "hook" is the top rated commands in comments are going to be used. I think the thought is great comedy will ensue. More likely it will be mildly amusing UNIX jokes, followed by nerd tittering.