Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, I buy TWSBI because I am satisfied with the products they have sold me. I love my vac 700 enough that when I wanted a low-cost italic for my emerald of chivor, the Eco was my first choice, and I have had no cause to regret it.

Knowing they'll take care of it if something goes wrong is even nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Don't buy a TWSBI Classic unless you grip your pens very close to the nib. The square shape of the barrel makes it awkward to hold otherwise.

Vac 700s are awesome though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah Vac 700 is a good pen to get after you get a Metro and find out you like FPs and want to get yourself something a little nicer but don't want to turn into Crazy Cat Pen Person too quickly.

Shame I lost mine somewhere. I keep forgetting to order a new one.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, that's exactly the process I went through that led to the vac 700-- the filling mechanism intrigued me so I went for it. I really do recommend the pen, it writes great for me and I've never had an issue.

Got a jinhao 126 today to, to go with my 'well, really, baystate blue does look terribly pretty but I don't want to use a pen I'm regularly changing colours in for it' purchase. Feels nice in my girly hands but I wouldn't recommend it to someone with big hands. The ink is predictably stunning.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Swagger Dagger posted:

Mine works fine and is really pretty

Until it breaks or fills with ink . Then you will have a different opinion .

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

tater_salad posted:

Until it breaks or fills with ink . Then you will have a different opinion .

The same can be said of any pen. I'm not going to insist that TWSBI hasn't had QC problems, let's be realistic here and acknowledge that anything can break, and most companies won't be nearly as forgiving or helpful if it's their pen.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Yeah the issue isn't "products break" it's "TWSBIs products break a lot, and seemingly more than other companies' products", and a lot of people (myself included) would rather have more reliable products than have to wait for replacement parts. Also, the claim that other manufacturers won't provide nearly as good service is complete and utter bullshit.

The other half of it is that TWSBI is only really a "deal" unless you absolutely must have a piston-filler/Vac-filler at a low price point. There are plenty, plenty of people who don't give the tiniest poo poo about that. I'm happy with C/C filling systems - I don't write fifty pages every day and it takes literally seconds to refill a converter at night. In that case there are other companies that provide similar feature sets at the same or lower price points.

grack fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 30, 2015

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

grack posted:

Also, the claim that other manufacturers won't provide nearly as good service is complete and utter bullshit.

This really needs to be emphasized. My experience with TWSBI's service has been generally good, but so has every other company I've received defective pens from. Even Levenger, and Levenger is terrible.

Still, TWSBI's are good if you accept the risk of receiving a dud and live somewhere that they can ship replacement parts to for free or cheap. I mean, they might not be good when the nib unit just sorta falls out of the pen one day.

Happy third annual TWSBIthon, guys! Let's keep this party rolling.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm pretty happy just sticking with Pilot since they have so many options on the cheap<------>expensive spectrum and that way I can just use the same cartridges & converters in all or nearly all of my pens.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

grack posted:

Ooh, I think may have bought a Parker 45 while out of my mind on migraine meds.

Oh man do I know that feeling.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm pretty happy just sticking with Pilot since they have so many options on the cheap<------>expensive spectrum and that way I can just use the same cartridges & converters in all or nearly all of my pens.

Or buying 10 jinhaos

grack
Jan 10, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

:hfive: buying vintage pens on Tramadol/Lorazapam/other migraine drugs buddy

Obligatory Toast posted:

Oh man do I know that feeling.

drat you Relpax and Codeine! :argh:

That said it was a Flighter with a 14k nib for $20 shipped so I guess maybe it was good.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

My Man Shran posted:

This really needs to be emphasized. My experience with TWSBI's service has been generally good, but so has every other company I've received defective pens from. Even Levenger, and Levenger is terrible.

I've yet to have an experience with any other manufacturer that matched up to the sheer passive-aggressiveness of TWSBI support. Considering a large chunk of my collection are delicate vintage pens that might break if you look at them funny (polystyrene-bodied eversharps etc), I'm pretty drat certain that it wasn't un-gentle handling on my part causing any cracking. :orks:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
To listen to you people talk you'd think 90% of twsbis exploded the moment they came into contact with human skin

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
When most other manufacturers never have this reoccurring QC problem, they sure aren't doing it right. Why even take the chance when you can just go Pilot or something?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
They're the OCZ of pen manufacturers. :shrug:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Welcome to the regular TWSBI slap fight derail everyone.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Soricidus posted:

To listen to you people talk you'd think 90% of twsbis exploded the moment they came into contact with human skin

This has been my personal experience with the brand, unfortunately.

pienipple posted:

We're talking about a company that makes fountain pens in the fountain pen thread...?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Twsbi destroyed the world trade center killing thousands

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

pienipple posted:

We made it like three whole months this time.

Everybody be proud, we did it.

Edit: what horrible pen nerd things have you people done this weekend other than get your TWSBIs fixed. I restored a Sheaffer Triumph (the wartime vac-filler with that name, not to be confused with the obnoxiously-neat conical nib that they also named that) and a snorkel special.

The vac holds an actual ton of ink with the a nib of the typical Sheaffer smoothness. I keep buying Sheaffer vacs to restore. I must have myself or love the risk, or something.

The Special is the entry level snorkel of the entry level snorkel tier, but I've developed a weird thing for PdAg nibs. This was the first snorkel that I've gotten with a rusted spring where I decided to restore the spring instead of buying a new one. It works, but not as smoothly as it would have had I installed a virgin spring. Still, a $3 flea market pen that required $3 in parts isn't a bad deal.

Rudeboy Detective fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 1, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

My Man Shran posted:

Edit: what horrible pen nerd things have you people done this weekend other than get your TWSBIs fixed.

I drooled over those really pretty Vanishing Points with the abalone shell inlay that cost like $600

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

My Man Shran posted:

Edit: what horrible pen nerd things have you people done this weekend other than get your TWSBIs fixed.

Pondered if the extra 25 quid for a CH92 over a 580AL is worth it.
Bought a load of #5+6 Jowo nibs to replace ones in Chinese pens.
Enjoyed the hell out of using the second-hand Lamy 2000 I bought last week.
I really ought to get around to fixing the poor bastard ebay snorkel I've got that some tosser did a number on the sac protector.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

My Man Shran posted:

I spilled Diamine Ancient Copper on my jeans trying to fill a Metal Falcon, one pump of the Con-70 and it was ink everywhere. Really nice color though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Trying to decide which Axis power I want to get a pen from next.

Also, smoothed and adjusted a fountain pen that was dropped for a friend of mine.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

grack posted:

Trying to decide which Axis power I want to get a pen from next.

Also, smoothed and adjusted a fountain pen that was dropped for a friend of mine.

http://www.montegrappa.com/product-category/writing-instruments/regular-edition/dc-comics/

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

My Man Shran posted:

Friday my bonus letter was in my inbox, since I have been pondering on what 50~60 euro/dollar pen to buy with that money. Shall I get three of the animal Metro's, a single more expensive pen or the Diamine shimmer inks? Thread, please help me shop?

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Soricidus posted:

Twsbi destroyed the world trade center killing thousands
On the plus side, their customer service when sending the replacement towers was exemplary.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I'm willing to pay a bit more for a pen if it's reliable. I stopped buying chinese pens because they all tend to leak a lot more than better quality pens when you shake/jerk them a bit. I got a TWSBI ECO since it was a cheap piston filler and just to see if TWSBI is starting to get better in terms of their QC. The design is much better and it performs well but it has already had a tiny crack in the section where I shouldn't be able to over screw the cap at all. It hasn't had any ink failures yet but I've had it since august or so and it's not so promising.

I think I'm going to stick with my sailors and pilots for now.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

My Man Shran posted:

Edit: what horrible pen nerd things have you people done this weekend other than get your TWSBIs fixed. I restored a Sheaffer Triumph (the wartime vac-filler with that name, not to be confused with the obnoxiously-neat conical nib that they also named that) and a snorkel special.

I got a package from Anderson with a couple of replacement nibs, one for my Edison Glenmont, and another for my TWSBI Vac 700. The Edison's nib was way too fine for my current tastes; with the replacement medium it's like a whole new pen. Same for the Vac, which, even though I bought it in 2014, came with one of the older Bock nibs; the switch to a medium Jowo has provided a much more consistent line and the ability to write more than a few words without opening the blind cap. I can actually see myself using both pens for work now, where I never have before.

Yesterday, I went down to the local pen store (Appointments in Cincinnati), for some ink cartridges and paper. I handled a few pens, but did not buy one. The new limited edition Vanishing Point is much shinier and has much deeper colors than its pictures would lead you to believe, but it didn't really make me want another VP. I had never really looked at Yard-O-Led, not liking metallic pens, but the Retro is a drat nice pen that is going on the wishlist; I just have to decide whether I want the regular size or the grand. Oh, and the OMAS Milord in London Smoke is very pretty, but I'm still waiting to see how my Ogiva Cocktail writes when it comes back from John Mottishaw. Unfortunately, they didn't have the replacement nib for my Scala in from Lamy yet, or the Sailors that I had special-ordered. Hopefully soon.

I inked my Retro 51 Scriptmaster with one of the Diamine Prussian Blue carts I picked up. The pen has a converter but doesn't like it very much, and all my carts were very old.

I had been keeping my eyes open for a nice Lamy 27 to show up on FPN's classifieds, and one did, so I went ahead and got it. My small collection of vintage pens is slowly growing.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Just get a Lamy Al-Star like the rest of us sane, normal folk.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Just order a Soviet Parker '51' knockoff from Bulgaria like the rest of us insane, abnormal folk.

It has a rad red jewel on its cap-Kremlin.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

My Man Shran posted:

Just order a Soviet Parker '51' knockoff from Bulgaria like the rest of us insane, abnormal folk.

It has a rad red jewel on its cap-Kremlin.

*Guaranteed to contain no less than 51% lead!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Also I bought a Reform 1745

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

EnsGDT posted:

*Guaranteed to contain no less than 51% lead!

As long as it's not radioactive then I'll consider it a win.

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/?page_id=3109

Seriously, only god knows what that nib is made out of.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

GoldenNugget posted:

I think I'm going to stick with my sailors and pilots for now.

i love pilot FPs but :10bux:

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
I recently got a Sheaffer Prelude (Chrome with gold highlights) as a gift, and I picked up a Pilot Metropolitan so I can get good and justify using such a nice pen.
Are there any recommendations on where to buy ink in Australia? The Dymocks in Sydney was helpful, what the salesperson told me agrees with everything in the OP, unless there's a good alternative I'll probably go back there when I decide which ink I want to start out with.

I was probably going to just use the Namiki Black Noir cartridges with the Pilot for everyday use, but I think I can justify some nice ink for the Sheaffer. Maybe a nice black and something a bit more colourful but still classy - any recommendations?

I haven't actually used cursive in so long, I think I'm going to have to practise to maintain legibility when writing speedily.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I'm gona be studying abroad soon, anyone have pen holder recommendations? Or should I keep all my pens in a plastic bottle just in case.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Xun posted:

I'm gona be studying abroad soon, anyone have pen holder recommendations? Or should I keep all my pens in a plastic bottle just in case.

Do you mean pen case/wraps? I like Franklin-Christoph's pen cases: http://www.franklin-christoph.com/

grack
Jan 10, 2012

$0.99 Jinhao X450s are back - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Students-Co...oAAAOSwDNdVsaCI

Also why the gently caress do people never clean out their pens. Got that 45 in today and it was drat near cemented shut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

grack posted:

$0.99 Jinhao X450s are back - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Students-Co...oAAAOSwDNdVsaCI

Also why the gently caress do people never clean out their pens. Got that 45 in today and it was drat near cemented shut.

What is this bullshit?

E: Not sure why that's table-breaking and can't edit it now. My b. Failure on both accounts.

Only registered members can see post attachments!