Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

cash crab posted:

This, very much. There are two women in town, one who lives in the east end and one who lives around my neighborhood, who look like me. I have had several uncomfortable conversations with people who insist I went to highschool with them. I need to find these women and we need to coordinate our hairstyles or something so that this doesn't keep happening.

Apparently my evil twin is on the school board or something a couple towns over from where I work. I've had people walk up to me when I'm out and about town say they saw me at a parent-teacher meeting. I don't have any kids... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Rolo posted:

Microwaves that beep every 10 seconds forever once they're done cooking.

People who leave things in the microwave long enough after it's done for this to become annoying.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

YeahTubaMike posted:

When people don't let you dislike something in peace. "How can you not like [thing]?" is not a valid question. "It's so awesome!" is entirely subjective.

Conversely, my peeve is when I ask someone 'why don't you like [thing]?' and they can't (or won't try to) give me an answer. Like, I don't care if it's a dumb reason but I genuinely want to know your thoughts on the subject and you can't even be bothered to think about it for five seconds instead of saying 'i just don't like it'.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I think I posted Youtube peeves in a previous version of this thread, but I watched a bunch of videos last night so here's another one: overly defensive videos. You see this a lot in how-to, survivalist/homesteading, gardening, and even arts & crafts videos.

:bahgawd: So this here is how I start a fahr. I know a lot of you, especially YOU, swagb00ty92, think that there's a better way, but let me tell you, I spent twelve years in Special Forces and this is the way they taught me, so this is how I do it and if y'all don't like it then you can just go watch some other video. I'll be deleting negative comments and... blah blah blah.

-or-

:downs: Now I'll be making those cuts on my table saw, and I have heard a lot of complaints about my safety fences and the fact that I never wear eye protection and I just want to say, I think that's really uncalled for, and MY safety is MY business, so please take those comments and stick em where the sun don't shine, blah blah blah.

You're wasting my time, here. I want to watch you do something interesting or useful, not beef at comments from your previous videos (most of which I won't watch because I'm looking for something specific). It's just dead air for me.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Murphy Brownback posted:

People who leave things in the microwave long enough after it's done for this to become annoying.

Sometimes it has to cool :colbert:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
People who describe themselves as the "sarcastic" or "sassy" one in the group. Often they're neither of those things, and usually just annoying. In general it's stupid to try to ascribe some wacky friend archetype to yourself. It's like giving yourself a nickname.

On the same note, whenever a girl makes her profile picture a pic of herself making the Dreamworks face (or even just a close up of them doing anything other than widely smiling) and immediately dozens of people comment on how amazingly sassy it is.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Henchman of Santa posted:

In general it's stupid to try to ascribe some wacky friend archetype to yourself. It's like giving yourself a nickname.

"I'm so random! Aren't I random guys? Haha butts, see I'm random!" :argh:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Thankfully I haven't heard that since high school (and I was shamefully one of those people in middle school, where it should stay).

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Silver Falcon posted:

Apparently my evil twin is on the school board or something a couple towns over from where I work. I've had people walk up to me when I'm out and about town say they saw me at a parent-teacher meeting. I don't have any kids... :(

That's no reason not to go. It's a great place to sell drugs.

Edit: OR SO I HAVE HEARD

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
People who take 10 minutes to say something that only requires a sentence or two.

ALLOW ME TO DEMONSTRATE.

I have a temporary supervisor who does this, during every single conversation I have with her. No exaggeration, when she first started working here, she sat in my office for OVER TWO HOURS going over a project I was already doing, very capably all by myself with no input needed, to tell me why I should do this project and how I should be doing exactly what I was doing, because it's important for these reasons, so I definitely should do it, and do it like this, because it's important for these reasons, so I should do it, and do it like this, becaus- :emo:

This just happened this morning --

Yesterday I found some paperwork on [real supervisor's] desk that looked like she might have been in the middle of a vendor negotiation before she left. So I left it in my temporary supervisor's mailbox with a note saying just that. She came in this morning with the paperwork in hand, and she said, "This is just some preliminary pricing the vendor drew up in case we went with them, but we're not going with them because their product is designed for [x need] and we don't have [x need], so I'm just going to throw this paper out."

Okay! Thanks for letting me know, even though it wasn't necessary to tell me anything, just throw out the paper!

But then she kept going. Saying basically the same thing in 30 different variations, always ending with some variation of "I'm going to throw this paper out." On and on and on, "Their product is only good for X, and we don't have X, so I think I'll just throw this paper out, because this problem is only good for X, and we just don't have X, so I think I'll throw this out, because their product in only good for X, and we don't have..."

That went on for 6 minutes (I checked the clock). I had visions of snatching the paper out of her hand, throwing it in the recycling bin right next to her, and yelling, "PROBLEM SOLVED! YEEEAAAAA!!"

And she never lets me get a word in edgewise; she just keeps talking over me. Yesterday, she was going on and on and on and on about how we should do ABC task. I tried twice to interrupt and said [real supervisor] and I did ABC task this past June. Oh no, she keeps talking about why it's important to do ABC, and we should do it, because it's so important, so we should do it, becausesla;lskj f;lkasjd f k si9w4=-%%%

:hurr:

:negative:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
When my coffee is too hot! :coffee:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

cyberia posted:

Conversely, my peeve is when I ask someone 'why don't you like [thing]?' and they can't (or won't try to) give me an answer. Like, I don't care if it's a dumb reason but I genuinely want to know your thoughts on the subject and you can't even be bothered to think about it for five seconds instead of saying 'i just don't like it'.

People who don't like things that people often like are used to being bombarded with follow-up questions after "why don't you like [thing]?", which makes them a bit shy/defensive about answering.

It's also sometimes hard to explain why you don't like something when your opinion isn't based in any kind of fact. I don't like olives because their taste is disagreeable to me, but it's easier and just as informative to say "Because I just don't."

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

Rabbit Hill posted:

ALLOW ME TO DEMONSTRATE.

I take a lot of phone calls like this at work. Usually when I answer the phone, the caller will tell me their problem/question and I can immediately transfer them to the person they need to talk to. But SOMETIMES, we get callers who absolutely loving NEED to explain to me, in painstaking detail, every single aspect of their problem and the events surrounding it.

:words: Hi I placed a special order a week ago and I haven't heard anything,
:) ok let me transfer you to the person in charge of special orders, just a mo-
:words: the order was for two cases of Some Bullshit and I need it for this weekend so I was hoping it would come in
:) ok I'm just gonna transfer you to-
:words: I NEED to make sure it'll be here for this weekend because my friend is coming from out of town, he moved to Texas last year and I haven't seen him since so it's important that I get that item
:) I can't check on it here, I need to tra-
:words: See my friend is recovering from cancer and I want to make this visit special because blah blah blah etc etc

and on and on until I get fed up and transfer them anyway, then they get all pissed off and complain that I was rude :sigh: I'm TRYING to save them time and hassle, I know exactly who they need to tell their bullshit story to, but apparently I'm supposed to sit there and listen to the whole thing anyway and waste both of our time.

InediblePenguin posted:

How loving entitled do you have to be to hold up the entire line and monopolize the clerk instead of just paying for your loving medicine and then going to the front to pay for the rest? That would have been faster for her, too, because at the front they actually have conveyor belts and more than a single loving stack of plastic bags :bahgawd:

Also, this. Anyone could tell, just from glancing at the pharmacy/coffee bar/express counter, that their poo poo will not even fit on the counter and there's no room to ring it up or bag it, but somehow I'm the rear end in a top hat for trying to turn them away. People try to pull this poo poo even when the other checkouts don't even have lines. Take your poo poo 15 feet away to that normal register and you'll have all the space you could need, PLUS someone to bag for you! It'll go twenty times faster than waiting for me to ring up 5 items, bag them, walk around the register to put that bag in your cart so I have room to start the next bag, rinse and repeat for an entire cart full of loving groceries.

This is why I loving hate working those checkouts. I hate the people who come up and say "I THINK I have close to 10..." or "I may be a little over, teehee!" when they clearly have 5 times the limit. Or people who bring up 10 gallon jugs of milk or other huge items, want them all individually bagged, but HEY they're not over the limit so it's cool right! Or the ones who come up looking all innocent with their 2 items, but then it turns out they need a price check, and a return, they want stamps and can someone go get them a bag of ice and OH YEAH can you call grocery and ask if they have this obscure item that we might have carried ten years ago, and if so how much is it..... all the while, completely oblivious to the line forming behind them because it's loving LUNCH TIME AND PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO BUY THEIR SANDWICHES.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

Rabbit Hill posted:

People who take 10 minutes to say something that only requires a sentence or two.

sounds like they either have a benzo habit or are getting drunk at work

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

YeahTubaMike posted:

People who don't like things that people often like are used to being bombarded with follow-up questions after "why don't you like [thing]?", which makes them a bit shy/defensive about answering.

It's also sometimes hard to explain why you don't like something when your opinion isn't based in any kind of fact. I don't like olives because their taste is disagreeable to me, but it's easier and just as informative to say "Because I just don't."

Yeah, or your reasons aren't "good enough." Example: I don't like going to the movies. The plots are all remakes of other plots, my back hurts, the food is just okay and you have to bring your own alcohol, and I swear they're all at least 3 hours now. Not to mention my SO and his friends ALL have to see ALL the latest blockbusters, ALWAYS on opening night, so you're investing an entire night to see a remake of a third iteration of the seventh film in a particular franchise which is not noticeably different than the ones that come before it. Plus, I have back problems, and sitting for long periods of time really aggravates it. There are movies I do like, but most of them I just really don't care for. These are all perfectly good reasons, but people just hear "YOU DON'T LIKE MOVIES?! What kind of person doesn't like movies?!" and no reasoning is good enough for them.

I bet if a survivor of the Aurora movie theater massacre said they didn't like going to the movies, people would freak out about how their PTSD is not a good enough reason to not go see Fast Mad Max Furious of the Rings Part XLVI.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
Slow or super defensive drivers

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Cowslips Warren posted:

Well off older white men who whine that people these days are so goddamn oversensitive and it's a pity you can't call a spade a spade. You can't make fun of the weird kid or the creepy dude at work and PC LIBERAL poo poo IS RUINING THE WORLD.

The same guys I know also state that if you're still working fast food out of high school, and you want to get paid $15 an hour, you need to go to Home Depot, buy a rope, go home and hang yourself.

It's like, how do you even reply to that?

Peeve: motherfucking hospitals who make you stay for the entire day because your mom has a knee replacement surgery, and "just in case" you need to hang around for 8 loving hours. Look gents, if you're counting on me saving the day in case she flatlines, well, that's what we are paying YOU for. I am not a doctor and me chilling in that horrible waiting room for an entire day isn't going to help you!

Most normal people care about the well being of their loved ones enough to not have to be "forced" to stay by the mean dr

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Re: DIY videos on YouTube, if you're doing a project that involves closeups of handwork, focus the camera correctly, and if your fingers have open sores or your nails are chewed, ffs, get a friend with nice hands to do it.

Re: customer oversharing, it's my big pet peeve as a librarian. I don't care why you need the data--just let me do my job.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Yeah, or your reasons aren't "good enough." Example: I don't like going to the movies. The plots are all remakes of other plots, my back hurts, the food is just okay and you have to bring your own alcohol, and I swear they're all at least 3 hours now. Not to mention my SO and his friends ALL have to see ALL the latest blockbusters, ALWAYS on opening night, so you're investing an entire night to see a remake of a third iteration of the seventh film in a particular franchise which is not noticeably different than the ones that come before it. Plus, I have back problems, and sitting for long periods of time really aggravates it. There are movies I do like, but most of them I just really don't care for. These are all perfectly good reasons, but people just hear "YOU DON'T LIKE MOVIES?! What kind of person doesn't like movies?!" and no reasoning is good enough for them.

I bet if a survivor of the Aurora movie theater massacre said they didn't like going to the movies, people would freak out about how their PTSD is not a good enough reason to not go see Fast Mad Max Furious of the Rings Part XLVI.

Yes. I get it doubly bad because I do video editing and I HATE modern movies. It's always "but you do video editing as a job! How could you hate movies?!??!"

Plus everyone watches movies SO LOUD and then there's always a random explosion THAT'S EVEN LOUDER!!!!!!! loving hurts my ears and gives me a headache. I assume everyone else just has really horrible hearing because why would you make it so loud otherwise? And it's rude to tell people to turn it down when you're the only one in the room who's bothered by it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Since this afternoon some of my teeth are suddenly sensitive to air, it sucks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nettles Coterie posted:

I take a lot of phone calls like this at work. Usually when I answer the phone, the caller will tell me their problem/question and I can immediately transfer them to the person they need to talk to. But SOMETIMES, we get callers who absolutely loving NEED to explain to me, in painstaking detail, every single aspect of their problem and the events surrounding it.

:words: Hi I placed a special order a week ago and I haven't heard anything,
:) ok let me transfer you to the person in charge of special orders, just a mo-
:words: the order was for two cases of Some Bullshit and I need it for this weekend so I was hoping it would come in
:) ok I'm just gonna transfer you to-
:words: I NEED to make sure it'll be here for this weekend because my friend is coming from out of town, he moved to Texas last year and I haven't seen him since so it's important that I get that item
:) I can't check on it here, I need to tra-
:words: See my friend is recovering from cancer and I want to make this visit special because blah blah blah etc etc

and on and on until I get fed up and transfer them anyway, then they get all pissed off and complain that I was rude :sigh: I'm TRYING to save them time and hassle, I know exactly who they need to tell their bullshit story to, but apparently I'm supposed to sit there and listen to the whole thing anyway and waste both of our time.
When I was in a similar situation I was happy to just let people talk. I was getting paid to be there, so really it's only their own time they're wasting. I guess if you're only taking calls as a small part of your job and you have other stuff that needs your attention it's different, but I understand where the caller is coming from too. When I phone a company for support or information or whatever, I want the person I'm speaking to to shut the gently caress up and let me finish talking. Maybe I'm giving irrelevant details they don't need, but most of the time when they interrupt me it turns out they've made incorrect assumptions that would have been cleared up if they'd just listened.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Kurtofan posted:

Since this afternoon some of my teeth are suddenly sensitive to air, it sucks.

Maybe you are pregnant

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

queserasera posted:

Re: DIY videos on YouTube, if you're doing a project that involves closeups of handwork, focus the camera correctly, and if your fingers have open sores or your nails are chewed, ffs, get a friend with nice hands to do it.

Re: customer oversharing, it's my big pet peeve as a librarian. I don't care why you need the data--just let me do my job.

I work in retail and apparently this customer had gotten the impression that we had a particular chair in stock because it said we might have one on the website, but the fine print said it was only available online.

Another associate might have missed that when she called about the chair but don't loving snap at me because your 9-year-old is "in tears" because you can't buy her a $50 chair. It's not my loving fault. Get a different loving chair or teach your spoiled kid about disappointment.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
^^^ "The internet said you had it" will forever be one of my least favorite sentences. Oh, REALLY?? Some company's website told you that some of their products might be carried at one of our 500 stores across the world, which each focus on local products, so I'm definitely lying to you and hiding it because I'm a big stupid rear end in a top hat? Please, go on.

Tiggum posted:

When I was in a similar situation I was happy to just let people talk. I was getting paid to be there, so really it's only their own time they're wasting. I guess if you're only taking calls as a small part of your job and you have other stuff that needs your attention it's different, but I understand where the caller is coming from too. When I phone a company for support or information or whatever, I want the person I'm speaking to to shut the gently caress up and let me finish talking.

When I'm answering the phone it is literally JUST to send them off to the correct people, and my complaint is directed towards the people who want to relay every single fact about their life to me, when 1) I'm not the person they need to talk to and 2) the details they're spewing are completely irrelevant to their issue anyway. I know they're probably old lonely folks who just want to talk to somebody, but I have other poo poo to do and I really don't want to hear a 45-minute story about exactly why you need a specific brand of homeopathic herpes cream.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Nettles Coterie posted:

I'm definitely lying to you and hiding it because I'm a big stupid rear end in a top hat?

I never get sick of these. People honestly think you're lying for some reason and just don't want to give them what they need. I think my personal favorite was when I ran a small convenience store on campus years ago--we were a tiny, cash-only joint that sold candy bars and gum and stuff. I'd get at least one customer a day that would try to hand me a credit card for his Snickers. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T TAKE CREDIT CARDS, YOU DID LAST WEEK WHEN I WAS HERE!!!" gently caress, you found me out. I saw you coming and hid our credit card machine in the back so you couldn't use it to buy your candy bar. Because you called me out on this obvious ploy, I will now gladly accept your credit card, sir.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
When the little clip on the side of your pen breaks off.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
The idea of being fashionably late to a party.

I'm hosting a Halloween party tonight. Over 20 people are coming. The party was set to start 10 minutes ago, and there is nobody here yet. I wanted it to start at this time, but I guess if I wanted that I should have set the time an hour earlier. But then people would complain about me starting it too early.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

cash crab posted:

Maybe you are pregnant

what's the correlation here.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Master Twig posted:

The idea of being fashionably late to a party.

I'm hosting a Halloween party tonight. Over 20 people are coming. The party was set to start 10 minutes ago, and there is nobody here yet. I wanted it to start at this time, but I guess if I wanted that I should have set the time an hour earlier. But then people would complain about me starting it too early.

People that arent on time for their poo poo. I work in a real estate office and the agents are constantly late for everything. If I hired an agent that was frequently late I would fire their rear end immediately. I dont think the owner has ever gotten here before her appointment started.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Fast Mad Max Furious of the Rings Part XLVI.

ppffttt, whatever. I bet this movie would be so amazing.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
Bad weather when I have a show. Ughhh otherwise I love rain and cold.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Kurtofan posted:

what's the correlation here.

Pregnancy can cause tooth pain and gum erosion. Also, I like constantly suggesting to people that they might be pregnant, regardless of gender.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
When I'm hungry as gently caress but nothing sounds good so I just sit there getting more hungry and irritated.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Tendai posted:

When I'm hungry as gently caress but nothing sounds good so I just sit there getting more hungry and irritated.

I do this, too. :smith::respek::smith: Hell, I did that today. After a while I decided on a large spoonful of peanut butter, which made me more angry. I realize how silly that is.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Tendai posted:

I really thought I was the only one this happened to! It's like the hungrier I get, the less food sounds good to me. Then when I finally pick something and decide to eat it I go wayyy overboard.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Bright lights. Mother. loving. Bright lights.

It's always on a one lane road, too.

I'm thinking of starting this: pulling over so they can get past and then pulling behind them and turning MY brights on.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Thin Privilege posted:

Bright lights. Mother. loving. Bright lights.

It's always on a one lane road, too.

I'm thinking of starting this: pulling over so they can get past and then pulling behind them and turning MY brights on.

You're legitimately insane

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Rabbit Hill posted:

ALLOW ME TO DEMONSTRATE.

Mrs Stoatbringer does this.

:) I think we should paint the hall yellow, don't you?
:haw: Okay, I agree. I'll do that.
:) Because it hasn't been done for years and is looking a bit shabby, right?
:haw: Yes, I'll paint it.
:) And I think it would look really nice with a new coat of paint. So should we paint it?
:haw: Yes.
:) We've probably got some paint left, what do you reckon?
:haw: For the fourth time, yes!
:) There's no need to snap, I just wanted to know if you think we should paint the hall?
:haw: Argh! :shepicide:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tendai posted:

Yes. I think I was ruined by my family because my mother frequently forced us to go out because a) she doesn't really cook and b) she works at home and was always either stircrazy by dinner time or would go out on a lunchbreak with me when I was home on weekdays. Now that I'm on my own and can't afford to go out several times a week I get really sick of my own groceries.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Yeah Bro posted:

You're legitimately insane

Do you enjoy someone driving behind you with their brights on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Thin Privilege posted:

Do you enjoy someone driving behind you with their brights on?

Do you drive a small car? If the car behind you is a larger vehicle their regular headlights are going to be angled down into your car and there's nothing they can do about it aside from turning them off completely which is not a viable option.

Have you tried re-angling your rearview mirror?