Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Its not an MMO and youre not "locked out".

You own it, and like a CYOA book you can do something different to see what happens.

Its pretty "meaningful" that they set it up to make it clear that "things are happening in the world", and your one little team is not in charge of them all. Two people need help right now, at the same time, pick one and hope for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I do like the idea of another Ranger team taking the situation you don't and just not being able to handle it.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

docbeard posted:

I do like the idea of another Ranger team taking the situation you don't and just not being able to handle it.
At the very least, I would've liked to hear the other teams radio in and be like "We're not gonna be able to get there in time" or whatever instead of Vargas just mysteriously not being able to raise anybody when Bad Things are happening.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

gullah jack posted:

At the very least, I would've liked to hear the other teams radio in and be like "We're not gonna be able to get there in time" or whatever instead of Vargas just mysteriously not being able to raise anybody when Bad Things are happening.

Given the importance of both the Ag Center and Highpool to the Citadel in particular, I'm kind of astonished that he wouldn't have had a squad dedicated to just routinely patrolling that region anyway.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Alchenar posted:

It's a game and you get locked out of content and there is no meaningful reason why that should happen.

How long have you worked at Bioware?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can someone give me a hint on Rodia? I want to get rid of the leather jerks but I'm not sure how. Should I just attack them?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

NESguerilla posted:

Can someone give me a hint on Rodia? I want to get rid of the leather jerks but I'm not sure how. Should I just attack them?

Yeah. Just don't pay the toll and sweep the streets clean. Or just open fire at any time. All quests in the town are about weakening them for when you let rip. Or joining them, I guess.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I went to drug pat the axe and he is already passed out so I can't give him the drugged drink. He just wakes up when I attack though so idgi.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like how people always complain about being able to do everything/solve every problem in a game and your choices should have consequences etc etc but then when you can't save both places through some special cleverness its annoying and dumb and people want a mod to change it.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

I went to drug pat the axe and he is already passed out so I can't give him the drugged drink. He just wakes up when I attack though so idgi.

You have to wake him up. I think you just keep trying to talk to him and he'll get up eventually. Drugging him actually messes him up real bad so he's easier to fight.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Pwnstar posted:

I like how people always complain about being able to do everything/solve every problem in a game and your choices should have consequences etc etc but then when you can't save both places through some special cleverness its annoying and dumb and people want a mod to change it.

I like it in theory, I just think the execution of the choice here sucks. I would suspect Vargas of sabotaging the Rangers, but I haven't seen anyone whining about him in spoilers. He just acts so incompetently. Vargas just so happens to boot the regular radio op right before the "mysterious" joint attack and can only raise a squad of unequipped neophytes (who he sent to do an investigation worthy of experienced field agents) to respond in time to one of them. That might have made that whole thing make sense. Who let that chucklefuck near the dispatch radio? Do I get a chance to shoot him in the dick as a dialog option?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
The call said explicitly that there was no one else close enough to get there.

There arent that many Rangers. There arent that many people.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

FRINGE posted:

There arent that many Rangers. There arent that many people.

Tell that to the endless supply of bandits.

As for what the call said, yeah Vargas said there wasn't anyone else. It doesn't sell well when right after the crisis there's radio chatter from ranger squads just wandering around doing gently caress all. "Hey there elite hardasses in Alpha, how'd that cat in a tree call go? "
"p good, boss. Gonna go stare at a wall for a bit."

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Tell that to the endless supply of bandits.

As for what the call said, yeah Vargas said there wasn't anyone else. It doesn't sell well when right after the crisis there's radio chatter from ranger squads just wandering around doing gently caress all. "Hey there elite hardasses in Alpha, how'd that cat in a tree call go? "
"p good, boss. Gonna go stare at a wall for a bit."

Yeah. "Oh, we were out stumbling around and found a meth head in Arizona--what are the odds, right?--sorry to hear we lost our main food/water supply."

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Alchenar posted:

It's a game and you get locked out of content and there is no meaningful reason why that should happen.

It's not like XCOM's cool 'pick one of these three emergencies to respond to, here are the upsides and downsides of each' thing, the whole problem is that it is not a meaningful choice at all.. You just get to see one map or the other. That's it entirely.

That's not true, though. You can see parts of both maps, you just see one when its been demolished. There are things to do at each of the destroyed areas, and you have to deal with fallout from one or the other being destroyed. The choice isn't meaningful in the "I get to pick between two benefits, what do I want," aspect, it's meaningful in the "I have to choose one of these areas and the listen to the other being destroyed." It's evidence that you can't handle everything, that the rangers are spread thin and that someone very powerful has decided to take advantage of that for one reason or another. You may not like using the casualties of war angle to push the storyline, or the "there aren't enough of us to save everyone" angle, but those are key components of the story - both why things are so desperate and why a group of no nothing chucklefucks are tasked with saving the world. I like the choice, although I would like it more if Ag Center was a better designed area.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think it would have been better if you had an intro section where you got to visit those places and learn about them before poo poo hit the fan. You should have had a patrol detail to check in on the Highpool mayor and Kathy to acquaint yourselves with the status quo and get to meet some of the people you're supposed to protect. Then things go wrong and you have to choose.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does the Rodian bank vault always have a garbage haul or did I just got some bad luck. Nothing but a few bullets in here.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I got good stuff out of it the first time and garbage the second. I think it's random like most containers.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The randomness of how fast people bleed out or outright die in this game is absolute loving idiocy.

This game just hosed me over so hard. I kind of want to throw the disc out the window.

E: the ps4 port of this is bar none the worst console port I have played. Inxile can go gently caress themselves for releasing a game in this state.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 1, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really think the last 2 hours of playing this game was the stupidest experience I have ever had in a game in my entire life.

I went to the area with like 15 badgers and a vendor who won't sell to you until you kill them.

1.went in. killed all of the badgers and found the best weapons mod I have seen in the game just to have Rose go down due to some random status effect (afaik there is no way to actually check what any of the status effects actually do in this game. It's just some worthless colored icon.) Menus lag out, but the timer keeps going. Rose dies before the menu decides to work. reload.
2. Killed all of the badgers. The box now has a couple of useless early game ammo rounds. 3 people in the party go down due to random rear end status effects. I go to revive them but the game absolutely refuses to target them because I didn't loot the badgers yet. Everyone dies as I frantically try to collect badger poop or whatever so I can get rid of that prompt and revive my squad. reload.
3. repeat similar scenarios 4 or 5 more time.
4. annihilate badgers. get kitty litter. Go back to vendor. He's selling complete garbage.
5. I just want to get the gently caress out of here I don't even care anymore.
6. Robots show up. kill Robots.
7. go to wasteland. game crashes
8. Game deleted every save I made in the area except the autosave when I first entered it. Back to the beginning.

Also this game crashes every 30 minutes or so on PS4 at this point in the campaign. It's pretty loving cool .

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I really think the last 2 hours of playing this game was the stupidest experience I have ever had in a game in my entire life.

I went to the area with like 15 badgers and a vendor who won't sell to you until you kill them.

1.went in. killed all of the badgers and found the best weapons mod I have seen in the game just to have Rose go down due to some random status effect (afaik there is no way to actually check what any of the status effects actually do in this game. It's just some worthless colored icon.) Menus lag out, but the timer keeps going. Rose dies before the menu decides to work. reload.
2. Killed all of the badgers. The box now has a couple of useless early game ammo rounds. 3 people in the party go down due to random rear end status effects. I go to revive them but the game absolutely refuses to target them because I didn't loot the badgers yet. Everyone dies as I frantically try to collect badger poop or whatever so I can get rid of that prompt and revive my squad. reload.
3. repeat similar scenarios 4 or 5 more time.
4. annihilate badgers. get kitty litter. Go back to vendor. He's selling complete garbage.
5. I just want to get the gently caress out of here I don't even care anymore.
6. Robots show up. kill Robots.
7. go to wasteland. game crashes
8. Game deleted every save I made in the area except the autosave when I first entered it. Back to the beginning.

Also this game crashes every 30 minutes or so on PS4 at this point in the campaign. It's pretty loving cool .

Ouch. I'm being harsh to the game while enjoying a nearly bug/hiccup free experience. That sounds absolutely terrible. All of the status icons have mouse-over tool tips, not that that really helps on PS4. For dying, it's when the Rangers reach a certain negative hp based on their normal alive hp. Which is why a guy at 2 hp who gets crit and dropped might die instantly or only last a couple turns, while bleeding and poison and stabilization are three separate conditions that would need to be addressed, and quickly, to keep someone from dying.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Stop playing and ask for a refund, I've only got the PC version so I didn't know how bad the port was but that poo poo is unacceptable

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Wowzers.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Speaking of bugs, is anybody else not having their NPC companions not show up at the citadel once I dismiss them? Playing the PC version of the director's cut.

EDIT: Ok, it does seem pretty common across all platforms after reading the Wasteland 2 forums. This bug sucks. Its keeping me from really wanting to play.

MrMidnight fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 1, 2015

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Ok so I restarted because I could not in good conscience not run a group of Robocop, Officer Lewis, Crockett and Tubbs, Arizona Vice. Finally got in the Citadel and everyone tells me how their strength is at an all time high because they've spent fifteen years rebuilding the Ranger's strength. Remind me why Able One was rousting hobos instead of responding to critical threats? Vargas. Hang the bastard.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I saw this a few days ago but I don't think anybody posted about it. http://steamcommunity.com/app/404730/discussions/0/490124466459916594/

quote:

Director's Cut Patch Status Update
Wasteland 2: Director's Cut is now a couple of weeks out from its (very!) successful launch. However, after release, we became aware of a handful of bugs and issues left in the game, and a number of our community members have been asking "when is the next update coming?"

The answer is, very soon! The update is currently going through its final rounds of QA and we're getting a few final fixes added. We do not have an ETA just yet, but we will let you know as soon as we can.

Since we don't want to leave you hanging without further information, we thought we'd give you a sneak peek of the changes. Please note, this is only the highlights, and not the final list.

Fixed companions not spawning correctly at HQ after dismissing them
Fixed disappearing perks on companions after dismissing them
Fixed inability to open doors in Ranger Citadel and Ag Center Central Compex after using Examine while playing with a controller
Fixed Meson Cannon not properly firing on the player
Fixed voice-over lines not playing in some conditions after returning to a location
Fixed a bug which could cause Precision Strikes with melee attacks to not apply correctly in certain conditions
Fixed a bug with Rangers sometimes running in place when conversation or cutscene stopped them
Fixed a bug which could sometimes prevent selecting certain skills in the Skills screen while playing with a controller
Fixed a bug which could sometimes cause the Skills Radial menu to only show Lockpicking as a valid option while playing with a controller
Improvements to voice-over 2D/3D sound positioning in conversations and barks

We also plan to release a second PC hotfix shortly after the first patch goes out. This will be a hotfix to address a PC-specific memory leak issue. Since this fix requires a Unity engine update, and will require more extensive testing, we felt it best to put out the PC patch first, followed by the hotfix once we've verified it's good to go.

Thank you for your patience, and we'll have more news soon!

I don't feel like this covers all of the issues I've encountered including the TOC.txt corruption or the ps4 crashes that other's have mentioned.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

MrMidnight posted:

EDIT: Ok, it does seem pretty common across all platforms after reading the Wasteland 2 forums. This bug sucks. Its keeping me from really wanting to play.
Yeah it is a fairly common thing; the only "workaround" I have heard about so far is to dismiss the NPC in the same place you recruit them initially, but, well, that is not much of a workaround.

I am thankful I wanted to finish up my base game runthrough before starting the Director's Cut anyway. Though I also feel for NESGuerrilla because I do not want anyone to have a bad time playing Wasteland 2 :smith:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

So honey badgers apparently have anti-tank claws as they seems to have AP of at least 7. Almost lost Robocop. Who the gently caress thought 25+ raw damage per hit and insane armor penetration was a good idea?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Quarex posted:

Though I also feel for NESGuerrilla because I do not want anyone to have a bad time playing Wasteland 2 :smith:

I'm still enjoying it :unsmith: I love the actual game. Luckily I have a really high tolerance for bugs. The only thing that will usually make me actually quit a game is boredom. Last night was miserable though. I should have turned it off an hour before I did.

The thing that sucks is that I kind of worry the PS4 isn't ever going to get properly patched. It's gotta be niche as hell on a console. I'm starting to think the reviews sites didn't actually play the game beyond the first couple of hours just to check it out and reiterate their original reviews. Especially since it seems to get buggier as the game goes on.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

NESguerilla posted:

I'm still enjoying it :unsmith: I love the actual game. Luckily I have a really high tolerance for bugs. The only thing that will usually make me actually quit a game is boredom. Last night was miserable though. I should have turned it off an hour before I did.

The thing that sucks is that I kind of worry the PS4 isn't ever going to get properly patched. It's gotta be niche as hell on a console. I'm starting to think the reviews sites didn't actually play the game beyond the first couple of hours just to check it out and reiterate their original reviews. Especially since it seems to get buggier as the game goes on.

The bugs were the thing that stopped me from ever beating it the first time around. I got to the end game but it just drove me nuts that all the quests were broken in one way or another so I ended up gunning the last bit and then lost interest. Hopefully when the next patch lands I can recruit people without them disappearing among a ton of other bugs.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
You can easily cheat the new-game-plus to get a much easier start by setting off the nuke in Ranger Citadel as soon as you get access to the place. It counts as an ending, so you can export your characters as they were when you blew it up and start off with a few free levels. I found this out completely by accident just now.

Your entire squad starts off completely naked if you do this, but still. Handy.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

This time, I actually got the rail nomads to make peace. Following the turtle for 20 minutes is a really good metaphor for that whole location.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Mister Bates posted:

You can easily cheat the new-game-plus to get a much easier start by setting off the nuke in Ranger Citadel as soon as you get access to the place. It counts as an ending, so you can export your characters as they were when you blew it up and start off with a few free levels. I found this out completely by accident just now.
Yeah I similarly found that out completely by accident, and seriously considered restarting with my newly accelerated folks, but also thought "nah, I will probably beat the game soon anyway." This was December.

An even better idea now that the level cap is apparently 20 higher.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Apparently the woman (Sarah) who you could sort of save from the Mad Monks blowing her up you can no longer anymore: it's impossible to snipe the guys running up to her.

edit: it'd be nice if there was some form of NG+ in this that offered different things. Alpha Protocol's NG+ (Veteran, basically) offered options where instead of having to choose between two objectives you just went 'Pfft, gently caress that, I'm awesome, I'll do both.'

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 2, 2015

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

homullus posted:

This time, I actually got the rail nomads to make peace. Following the turtle for 20 minutes is a really good metaphor for that whole location.

Personally I just activate the little fella and go back to his stop at a later time :smug:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Quarex posted:

the level cap is apparently 20 higher.
Just in the DC, or also in the final version of the original?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
NES, on the xbox at least, if you go to your inventory and use the thumbstick to move left past your equipment you can highlight the status effects to see what's happening.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

FRINGE posted:

Just in the DC, or also in the final version of the original?
Good question. I am about to find out! But I think just in the Director's Cut.

Also I am kind of glad they changed the "shoot the sniper" thing since seemingly nothing of note happens if you save her anyway.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Quarex posted:

Good question. I am about to find out! But I think just in the Director's Cut.

Also I am kind of glad they changed the "shoot the sniper" thing since seemingly nothing of note happens if you save her anyway.
The entertainment box wont be upgrading anytime soon. Hopefully that made it into the 32 bit version. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't kill mister manners without rose leaving my squad. Guess I get to let that guy go even though he ate one of my rangers :mad:

• Locked thread