Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

OldSenileGuy posted:

This has been my basic setup for years, except instead of Plex I just used iTunes & Home Sharing to get the media to ATV.

Now that Plex is native, I was thinking about switching over, but my Mac Mini is so old that Plex Server won't run on it.

I'm not sure what my other options are, besides dropping $400+ on a newer used Mac Mini. I know I could build a PC based box for cheaper, but my whole media drive and all backups are HFS, so that seems like it'd be a huge pain.

Good god look at all these bad decisions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
get a nvidia shield and use kodi instead. the sheild does all the work so your lovely mac is basically a nas.

Does Hulu do 5.1DD audio on ATV4? I can't believe I am stuck with poo poo stereo on ATV3 in 2015

dutchbstrd fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 3, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Did people not use PlexConnect before? Not that this isn't somewhat exciting news, but the amusement over the news seems really outlandish as if there weren't solutions towards using Plex before the 4th gen ATV.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

lookit all the people excited not to have to use a lovely hack anymore

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

Good god look at all these bad decisions

They seemed like good ideas when I started this whole thing in 2006

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

noirstronaut posted:

Did people not use PlexConnect before? Not that this isn't somewhat exciting news, but the amusement over the news seems really outlandish as if there weren't solutions towards using Plex before the 4th gen ATV.

I used plex connect religiously. It was amazing. It also hosed up, a lot, and required fiddling.

This is better.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Martytoof posted:

lookit all the people excited not to have to use a lovely hack anymore

I mean, it just turned the unused Trailers app into a Plex app. it wasn't that complicated

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Not sure I like the new plex UI matching the Atv UI. Filter unwatched shows doesn't give the option to then sort. Like sort by last aired. At least not that I can find.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?
Plex Connect was super fiddly required another computer to be running the dns server if I recall correctly? I gave up and started using Beamer almost immediately. This is so much better.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The plex app is great, and I will never use for sharing to stream from pc again.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Mr. BT posted:

Now that Plex is available, I'm interested in hooking up a large drive to a Mac Mini and then plugging it in via Ethernet cable to my network.

Of the current models available, what's the one that I need? Hopefully not the one that's $1000 -- just something that will play 1080p streams to the AppleTV with no hiccups.

Get one of the previous generations when they still had user upgradable ram. That's what I have and it churns through 1080p no problem.

New ones are just hilariously neutered and useless.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Well, that was nice of Apple. At least we can see what's on top now: (And for non games, it's Simple X ... at least till more people find Plex is out.)

http://9to5mac.com/2015/11/02/apple-tv-top-charts-apps/

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

noirstronaut posted:

I mean, it just turned the unused Trailers app into a Plex app. it wasn't that complicated

It was complicated enough to turn off some people, expecially when you started having to do the Certificate trickery. I used it and loved it, but I found the DNS proxy would stop working right and nothing on the ATV would work anymore because it only has one entry for DNS servers, instead of multiple like any normal device. It happened enough I switched back to AirPlaying from my iPhone and/or iPad.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Is there a Flickr app available for the new Apple TV? And can you use your Flickr account to create a photo screensaver like always?

Rick Sanchez fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 3, 2015

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Rick Sanchez posted:

Is there a Flickr app available for the new Apple TV? And can you use your Flickr account to create photo screensaver a like always?

Yes, there is a Flickr app. No, screensaver options are "Aerial", "Apple Photos", "My Photos", or "Home Sharing."

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
If you don't want to run a computer in addition to an external drive or two, there are NAS units that run the Plex server natively.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

mediaphage posted:

If you don't want to run a computer in addition to an external drive or two, there are NAS units that run the Plex server natively.

You need a powerful one though to transcode.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I wonder if there will be any discounts on these after thanksgiving. I kind of want one, but with a Roku stick and two Fire sticks already I have enough similar devices even though they're not as polished in the software UX department.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Craptacular! posted:

I wonder if there will be any discounts on these after thanksgiving. I kind of want one, but with a Roku stick and two Fire sticks already I have enough similar devices even though they're not as polished in the software UX department.

There will not be discounts on these by thanksgiving, or next thanksgiving. Apple stuff doesn't really go on sale. The 99 dollar ATV3 became 69 dollars years later (recently) when the ATV4 was revealed.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
There may be refurbished units available in a few months. You can usually get 5-10% off with a refurb and the reliability is nearly the same as brand new.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Craptacular! posted:

Go to usps.com. Do a change of address to your existing address from any address you randomly pick. Get the 10% off bestbuy coupon and use it.

If you have an amex card you can also get $20 back if you spend $200 or more at bestbuy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Go to usps.com. Do a change of address to your existing address from any address you randomly pick. Get the 10% off bestbuy coupon and use it.

If you have an amex card you can also get $20 back if you spend $200 or more at bestbuy.
Or just walk into a post office and grab the packet they have sitting out.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Or just walk into a post office and grab the packet they have sitting out.

The ones in the post office are $5 off $50 now and are one use per phone number.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Don Lapre posted:

You need a powerful one though to transcode.

For sure.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Feenix posted:

There will not be discounts on these by thanksgiving, or next thanksgiving. Apple stuff doesn't really go on sale. The 99 dollar ATV3 became 69 dollars years later (recently) when the ATV4 was revealed.

Apple Stores do incredibly modest Black Friday sales, and Best Buy will go full ridiculous (last year, the iPad Air 2 was dropped $100 after being on the market for, uh, a couple weeks.)

I don't expect much from anything brand new, but anything > nothing. If I bought one today, I'd basically pay full price to use it for a week before I leaving for a holiday trip. I'm just going to wait for any possible online deals. If not, I can always get one at MSRP later.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 3, 2015

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any trip reports on how Plex handles different file types?

It works great on my iOS devices (iPhone, iPad), but on my Fire TV stick, it's janky as gently caress. I'll get studdering on random videos, or just no sound at all. I have to constantly switch the experimental player on and off and dick around with the settings to get it to work.

Also, is there and HBO Go app?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
You don't need a super powerful NAS to do transcoding. Anything with an i3 should be more than enough for multiple streams. I built one starting from a TS140 plus hard drives for a little more than $500. That's definitely more than the little Synology or WD boxes though.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It works great on my iOS devices (iPhone, iPad), but on my Fire TV stick, it's janky as gently caress. I'll get studdering on random videos, or just no sound at all. I have to constantly switch the experimental player on and off and dick around with the settings to get it to work.

My Fire Stick has similar issues as well. I really have to think it's the low power of the Fire Stick that's the cause. I would switch to Plex on my PS4 and the problems would go away.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Yes. Both HBO Go and HBO Now. They're separate apps.

I have HBO Go because I use my mom's DirecTV account and she uses my Netflix account.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

canyonero posted:

You don't need a super powerful NAS to do transcoding. Anything with an i3 should be more than enough for multiple streams. I built one starting from a TS140 plus hard drives for a little more than $500. That's definitely more than the little Synology or WD boxes though.

My Fire Stick has similar issues as well. I really have to think it's the low power of the Fire Stick that's the cause. I would switch to Plex on my PS4 and the problems would go away.

Compared to most NAS devices an i3 is very powerful. But yea, if you are building your own its not that big of a deal. If you are buying though getting an i3 appliance box is a lot of money.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I like that the scrub bar on the new ATV is like magnetic in that if you scrub forward or back in a video, it'll snap back to where you were if you get close to that position.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

canyonero posted:

Yeah, I've been hoping for a new Fire Stick, but I may just spring for a new ATV. So sick of jumpy movies.

I did not realize there was a PS4 Plex app :O

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Seems to mostly work great here, but I haven't done a comparative study. I can't fast-forward on some files though. I'll see if I can spot a system...

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

I have a Mac Mini server running it - it handles everything I've thrown at it. mov, mkv, mp4, mp2, avi, , .ts and I think FLV. :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm running it on a slightly higher end machine (Dell R620) but it handles literally everything I've thrown at it.

I just now installed a plugin channel for my HDHomeRun so I can watch OTA ATSC on my AppleTV via plex.

The future (well, 2010) is here

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Martytoof posted:

I'm running it on a slightly higher end machine (Dell R620) but it handles literally everything I've thrown at it.

I just now installed a plugin channel for my HDHomeRun so I can watch OTA ATSC on my AppleTV via plex.

Well, poo poo. I didn't know it had a Plex plugin. Time to get me the new ATV.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I thought there were supposed to be several different "live aerial" screensavers or whatever they're called. I just get London every time :confused:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It says they're like 600mb each, maybe you don't have any others yet.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

I thought there were supposed to be several different "live aerial" screensavers or whatever they're called. I just get London every time :confused:

I don't think it does a very good job rotating through the different ones. 90% of the time I get Manhattan, but I've also seen the Golden Gate Bridge, and maybe one or two others.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Martytoof posted:

Minor derail. If my OTA antenna has some issues picking up channels well, the HDHomeRun wouldn't change that, right? It just allowed we me to see it on computers or DLNA devices. But the weak link would still be the Signal quality to my antenna, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

Minor derail. If my OTA antenna has some issues picking up channels well, the HDHomeRun wouldn't change that, right? It just allowed we me to see it on computers or DLNA devices. But the weak link would still be the Signal quality to my antenna, right?

Correct.