Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

What would happen if a couple thousand VW enthusiasts took VW to small claims court all over the country?

VW would loving dance in the streets if all that came of this was having to pay a few million in damages to small claims settlements that they didn't even bother to send a lawyer to.

edit: which is the whole point of class action suits in the first place. It creates a situation where companies can be held liable for loving up and/or screwing customers in a way that isn't dependent upon the customer having the resources (even if that's just having time to go down to small claims court) or inclination to file a suit. Otherwise the math would lean pretty heavily in favor of doing whatever the gently caress and just paying off the small percentage of people who actually have the lawyers and money to file a real suit, and digging in your pockets for change to throw to the people who can only afford small claims but are still stubborn enough to go through with it.

edit:

CommieGIR posted:

Don't worry. Really, the VWs are doing nowhere near the damage the GOP is doing to the environment.

Who just sued the EPA to prevent clean power initiatives. Gotta save the coal industry.

It's already been said, but just because other, worse poo poo happens doesn't mean you can't be pissed off at other, lesser bad or stupid poo poo. My wife's purse got stolen a few years back. Just because some other women that day got murdered or raped doesn't mean she couldn't be pissed that her poo poo was taken or feel upset about the whole situation.

gently caress the GOP's anti-environmental bullshit, but gently caress VW too.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Cyrano4747 posted:

VW would loving dance in the streets if all that came of this was having to pay a few million in damages to small claims settlements that they didn't even bother to send a lawyer to.

edit: which is the whole point of class action suits in the first place. It creates a situation where companies can be held liable for loving up and/or screwing customers in a way that isn't dependent upon the customer having the resources (even if that's just having time to go down to small claims court) or inclination to file a suit. Otherwise the math would lean pretty heavily in favor of doing whatever the gently caress and just paying off the small percentage of people who actually have the lawyers and money to file a real suit, and digging in your pockets for change to throw to the people who can only afford small claims but are still stubborn enough to go through with it.

It's not like the class action lawsuits would go away just because a bunch of people sued in small claims court. If I thought that VW owed me $20 I would probably just join the class action suit. I would do the same if I was claiming $1m in damages as I don't have the money to fight a big case like that. But $1,000 to $3,000 seems like it might be a sweet spot where it makes sense to go to small claims court.

Also do you really think VW wouldn't send anyone to fight in small claims court?

I'm hoping that myturbodiesel or another forum will add a new FAQ called "How to sue VW" and I can just print that off.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's already been said, but just because other, worse poo poo happens doesn't mean you can't be pissed off at other, lesser bad or stupid poo poo. My wife's purse got stolen a few years back. Just because some other women that day got murdered or raped doesn't mean she couldn't be pissed that her poo poo was taken or feel upset about the whole situation.

gently caress the GOP's anti-environmental bullshit, but gently caress VW too.

I was more lamenting that we can't seem to stave off environmental damage because fucktards keep removing our environmental protections.

But yes, gently caress VW too.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 26, 2015

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Also do you really think VW wouldn't send anyone to fight in small claims court?
\

It happens all the time. If some guy is suing you in some county in the middle of gently caress-all for a couple thousand and your lawyer costs a few hundred per hour (plus travel expenses) it's frequently a lot cheaper to just no-contest it.

edit: some quick googling shows that in California only 40% of cases that went to small claims court were contested, and that includes everything from angry geeks suing Apple to some guy trying to get his neighbor to fix his lawn after a dog digs it up. I strongly suspect that the corporate defendants are a lot less likely to show up than the dude having a throw-down with someone in his neighborhood.

ALso note that that is CA. I'd love to find statistics on what percentage of corporate defendants bother in, say, LA or SF vs. Amarillo, TX.

And no, I wasn't saying that a class action wasn't going to happen because small claims, I was saying that small claims is such an easy buy-out for VW that they'd be thrilled with small claims settlements. It's a cheap out.

edit: lol, also from the California numbers:

41% where white, 80% were english speaking, and 50% had a university degree. Basically people with the education to know when they're getting hosed and that there is a recourse and the economic position where they can take a day off work.

edit x2: haha holy poo poo reading some more a full 21% of the english speaking litigants (and a whopping 28% of the white litigants) had a graduate degree or higher.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 26, 2015

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
They had an old Beetle on Garage Squad last night and now the common-law-missus wants a beetle. Cool, right? Except I have no idea what's separates a good Beetle from a bad one, which years to avoid/seek, and common problems besides things like rust and major frame damage etc. Any guidance for a Beetle novice?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Don't.

EDIT: Unless you make it look like this.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

Don't.

EDIT: Unless you make it look like this.

Baww, but they look so simple :( Anyways I kinda figured that they're all nearly identical (excluding the New Beetle) so no big deal, I guess.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

scuz posted:

Anyways I kinda figured that they're all nearly identical (excluding the New Beetle) so no big deal, I guess.

Don't say that to a Beetle fan- they really sniffy about the shape of light clusters and bootlid handles

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

spog posted:

Don't say that to a Beetle fan- they really sniffy about the shape of light clusters and bootlid handles

No, do it, on the samba, for science.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fart Pipe posted:

No, do it, on the samba, for science.

spog posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna have very little regard for period correctness with anything I undertake here. I might even turn it into an EV, but I'd have to learn a whole bunch first.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

spog posted:

Heh, Im the nerd that can tell you the differences between years all the way up to about 74 :) If it's just a cheapo weekend car for her, buy whatever. If you want it to hold value the older the better. I have a rusty 58 sunroof in my garage that I pulled out of a field simply because I wanted a project it's an awesome year/model.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Heh, Im the nerd that can tell you the differences between years all the way up to about 74 :) If it's just a cheapo weekend car for her, buy whatever. If you want it to hold value the older the better. I have a rusty 58 sunroof in my garage that I pulled out of a field simply because I wanted a project it's an awesome year/model.

...HOW rusty?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Don't buy a year that has coveted taillight covers. My Dad's neighbor would have her's stolen all the time, until my dad made her makeshift ones out of tape and red plastic lighting filter.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

scuz posted:

...HOW rusty?

Body is fine, has the usual spots, but the heater channels are toast since it lived during the time of salted roads.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Coming up fast on 50k 2014 Passat with the 1.8l tsi. Just go to the dealership for the 50k service package or is it time to start looking for a reliable Indy. Also how do I find a reliable Indy mechanic?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Audi is testing a new RS4. They put the drivetrain into a new S4 (you can see the tacked on fender flares and the wheels are those of the current RS4).

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/29/audi-rs4-avant-spy-shots/

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Mr. Apollo posted:

Audi is testing a new RS4. They put the drivetrain into a new S4 (you can see the tacked on fender flares and the wheels are those of the current RS4).

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/29/audi-rs4-avant-spy-shots/

That is a sexy car, which means we won't get it here. Stupid soccer moms and their SUVs. Wagons are awesome.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I guess I'm bad for this but I have a hard time keeping track of which fast Audi is which these days. It was simpler when there only ever seemed to be one RS*-badged model on sale at a time.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

StandardVC10 posted:

I guess I'm bad for this but I have a hard time keeping track of which fast Audi is which these days. It was simpler when there only ever seemed to be one RS*-badged model on sale at a time.

Vw and Audi both now have S lines, which are just body mods. R designates an actual performance. Unfornunately the US doesn't really get many R models, cause suvs.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

StandardVC10 posted:

A = regular
S-line = A models with body kit and different wheels
S = faster than A models
RS = faster than S models
plus = modifier to indicate it's faster than the regular models of that line (i.e. S8 plus, TTRS plus, R8 V10 plus)

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 31, 2015

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Mr. Apollo posted:

A = regular
S-line = A models with body kit and different wheels
S = faster than A models
RS = faster than S models
plus = modifier to indicate it's faster than the regular models of that line (i.e. S8 plus, TTRS plus, R8 V10 plus)

This part I get. It's just that there's like a bunch of RS cars now and they all look kind of the same and have similar, but not identical powertrains and not all of them are sold in the USA.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Ah, yeah I see what you mean. Like the SQ5 which is sold in Europe with a turbo diesel V6 and in North America with a supercharged gasoline V6 but otherwise look identical.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

StandardVC10 posted:

This part I get. It's just that there's like a bunch of RS cars now and they all look kind of the same and have similar, but not identical powertrains and not all of them are sold in the USA.

It's pretty simple
RS3 = fastest A3
RS4 = fastest A4
RS5 = fastest A5
RS6 = fastest A6
RS7 = fastest A7

Just ignore the SUVs, they add nothing of value

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The 3 liter was buggered too. So there goes the Cayenne, and a bunch of Audis.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/11/02/epa-diesel-suv-volkswagen-audi-porsche/75044132/

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My parents have one of the diesel Cayennes, it's pretty quick for what it is.

My BMW 335D was loving plagued by emissions problems. BMW still refuses to cover the carbon buildup issue. Basically, US emissioned diesels are hosed.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Basically, US emissioned diesels are hosed.

Diesel is dead now anyway - Euro 6 is pretty much just as strict

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

RIP diesel, your bullshit marketing claims of AMAZING LOW END TORQUE will not be missed.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Jealous Cow posted:

The 3 liter was buggered too. So there goes the Cayenne, and a bunch of Audis.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/11/02/epa-diesel-suv-volkswagen-audi-porsche/75044132/

next will be the V8 and V12 TDIs, which means CHEAP TOUAREGS AND Q7s FOR EVERYONE!!!!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pryor on Fire posted:

RIP diesel, your bullshit marketing claims of AMAZING LOW END TORQUE will not be missed.

....uhhh...what? They do have amazing low end torque.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

....uhhh...what? They do have amazing low end torque.

Good mid range, no low end whatsoever (at least is the smaller VWs)

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

neckbeard posted:

next will be the V8 and V12 TDIs, which means CHEAP TOUAREGS AND Q7s FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Oh god I hope this trickles down to the entirety of VAG and their reputation gets trashed. Here's to hoping the idiots around the scandal are enough to affect Porsche 911 pricing. A man can dream.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

dissss posted:

Good mid range, no low end whatsoever (at least is the smaller VWs)

:colbert: Nope. The VNT equipped CRD TDIs had awesome low end torque. Like, right off the line crazy good low end torque

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

:colbert: Nope. The VNT equipped CRD TDIs had awesome low end torque. Like, right off the line crazy good low end torque

That isn't how I'd describe them at all (and I've had the misfortune to spend a lot of time in a lot of different small diesel cars)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

dissss posted:

That isn't how I'd describe them at all (and I've had the misfortune to spend a lot of time in a lot of different small diesel cars)

I love my small diesels. :colbert:

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

CommieGIR posted:

CommieGIR posted:

I love my small diesels. :colbert:

Can confirm 15' tdi has a ton of torque low end, ok mid range, and what feels like nothing over 4k rpms.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Can confirm 15' tdi has a ton of torque low end, ok mid range, and what feels like nothing over 4k rpms.

This. My 11 pulled like a train from 1500 all the way til it fell flat at 4k.

Meanwhile the R doesn't seem to fully spool until over 3k, but keeps going until almost 7k.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Yeah, the 2010 TDI has amazing low end torque, so much that driving in the rain could be interesting if you didn't start from 2nd or slip the clutch in first, because it would just start spinning the wheels and would make the Traction Control go nuts.

But yeah, over 4k, it still responds, but its just not as peppy. Enough power to pass.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

You can spin the wheels shifting the ancient 2.5L too and guess what they accelerate faster than the TDI. There is no amazing torque, it's horseshit.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
The wheels hop in my lovely 2.0L MK4, even after the transmission mount bushing upgrades.

3 more years... 3 more years of payments and then I can sell it. Can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Out with my old VW and in with a new one!