Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
That glorious tank inspired me.

which lead to this

and this

All those times on this map and every single time the pubbies fly in the direction of the AI plane instead of to the sea corner the allies always show up at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AhrimanPK
Oct 9, 2012

'Ello 'Ello 'Ello

My name's Clive Owen!
While we were flying in the Spanish Civil War event a while ago a 109 pilot decided to repeatedly J out then respawn on the runway, 2 matches in a row. SB2, engage ground mode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PioVNXmdqTs

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Naval Japanese 20mm muzzle velocity is some goddamn amazing poo poo.

stallfighting a clipped wing grifspit in my stock J2M5 but I crash into the water because my plane is too fat and has poo poo all hp :radcat:

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 3, 2015

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMC9zyUcmOs

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The Cannon Ki-43 has a couple different belts I like.

Omni is HEF-I, AP-T
Ground is AP-T, HEF-I

Can't figure out which one I prefer. Also I might have the two loadouts confused.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

It depends on whether you prefer first to fire HEF-I, or first to fire AP-T.

Sometimes the best strategy is to hold down LMB.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auSjVjgWrtk

ErrorlessErik
Jun 27, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

The Cannon Ki-43 has a couple different belts I like.

Omni is HEF-I, AP-T
Ground is AP-T, HEF-I

Can't figure out which one I prefer. Also I might have the two loadouts confused.

But do you keep track of what round will be fired next?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Well I can't really recommend the J2M5 even if you're an excellent shot because the loving Japanese 30mm shells don't actually do any damage about half the time. Absolutely infuriating.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

based on the evidence it appears the landing on Hokkaido will go very well indeed

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Wow your team is made up of all the best props in the game except for you, I feel bad for them.

Also good job climbing then landing.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

In the time it took my extremely good & powerful plane to climb to 4000m all but one of my teammates had died. In the following 100m the other guy died too.

What I'm trying to say is that a good workman blames his tools.

Jet & B-29 matches are extremely badass & cool and I enjoy them thoroughly.

~just J7W things~
(we lost the match because even though it didn't count as a crash, it still counted as "no players left alive" and the tickets counted down :yum:)

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 3, 2015

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

BBJoey posted:

It depends on whether you prefer first to fire HEF-I, or first to fire AP-T.

I'll have to check the tapes. But generally, I like to put the indication of a fire on enemy airplanes. Just pick belts whose colors please you. I like to imagine a happy little line of cannon rounds just so, gently sweeping across the canvas wings. But don't try to copy, these videos are just to teach techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mol3TMO2_Vo

F

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
-You know what, I have no idea what I am talking about. Snip-

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nll2OUWtoHU

I've had invisible tank poo poo (phasing in/out) at range before, but nothing like this.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

YarPirate posted:

I've had invisible tank poo poo (phasing in/out) at range before, but nothing like this.

New crew skills working as intended. Level up your keen vision or pay for Ace, you scrub.

AhrimanPK
Oct 9, 2012

'Ello 'Ello 'Ello

My name's Clive Owen!

YarPirate posted:

Good thing it was on snow so you could see where he was going, and arcade so you could use the green cross to pen him. They should introduce this as a new game mode.

mlmp08 posted:

I'll have to check the tapes. But generally, I like to put the indication of a fire on enemy airplanes. Just pick belts whose colors please you. I like to imagine a happy little line of cannon rounds just so, gently sweeping across the canvas wings. But don't try to copy, these videos are just to teach techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mol3TMO2_Vo

F

Ruined

I ran into this video today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3DoLsYB52Q

I'm still traumatised, especially by the comments.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

AhrimanPK posted:

I'm still traumatised, especially by the comments.

Uh maybe you didn't notice but the Ki-84 has 2x20mm and 2x30mm which if you do the math is larger than the P-51's 6x12.7mm, thus it is a better plane and also Amerikkkans are gangsters

:confused:

I need to reinstall that addon that just strips YouTube comments completely, I can't help but look whenever someone mentions them being terrible.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Azran posted:

Wait, how does that happen?

just another nuclear shadow :japan:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the yak-3 vk-107 is the best prop plane in the game and if you disagree I'm really sorry that you're so wrong. ok bye

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Why are queues for 1.0 british planes 5x as long as 2.3 russian planes, even in arcade?

ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011

BBJoey posted:

the yak-3 vk-107 is the best prop plane in the game and if you disagree I'm really sorry that you're so wrong. ok bye

:agreed:

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Why are queues for 1.0 british planes 5x as long as 2.3 russian planes, even in arcade?

I would assume because if you're in 1.0 planes then you can only get matched against other people in 1.0 to 2.0, and if you're in 2.3 you can get matched against anything from 1.3 to 3.3.

Speaking of British planes, are their 7.7mgs just ridiculously terrible? Going from Russia to the US to British to Japan, the UK aircraft have the only guns that feel like I'm needing to physically saw off my opponents' wings. Also the Japanese 7.7mgs feel ridiculously punchy compared to the others I've used.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
What is the easiest plane to learn on? I just get loving decimated every single game. I don't get it, I get shots on planes, they just bounce off, then my wing falls off in a single hit.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW-V6jyT-6Y
pew pew pew go fast kill pubbies :pilot:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

MrLonghair posted:

The A26 I saw flying from 2 miles away was perfectly disthinguishable (two engine pods, tail, you get the idea) so this is not a too surreal solution for 1080p gaming

They stick out real hard on the screen hard black like this though. Maybe getting fixed for live, maybe a result from the physically based renderer, maybe intended.

enhance it.

ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011

My perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5KgwTgIiL4

Edit: both perspectives fairly synced up, just mute the right one and the echo goes away:

http://youtubedoubler.com/gOSb

ClassicFascist fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 4, 2015

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

What is the easiest plane to learn on?

It depends on the mode and what you're trying to do. Here are some favorites among most players:

Arcade Battles:
:911: - Aircobras
:godwinning: - Fw 190s
:ussr: - Yak 3 / La-5FN
:britain: - Spitfire / Beaufighter
:japan: - Ki-61 Hien w/cannons

Realistic Battles:
:911: - P-47 Thunderbolt / P-51 Mustang / F4U Cannon Corsair
:godwinning: - 109/190s duh
:ussr: - La-5FN
:britain: - Spitfire / Typhoon
:japan: - Ki-43 Hayabusa / N1K

Simulator Battles:
Learn to fly then use quite literally any plane in the game that you want and have fun.

I just get loving decimated every single game. I don't get it, I get shots on planes, they just bounce off, then my wing falls off in a single hit.

Can't hit your target?
Use more machineguns. Examples of this include basically every single :911: fighter with .50 cals and planes like the Hurricane that carry more ammo than they actually need.

Not killing your target fast enough?
Use more cannons. British Hispanos, German Minengeschoss and Russian ShVAKs are popular here.

Wings falling off in a single hit?
Don't get hit. Seriously though, as silly as it may seem dogfighting isn't at all about plane durability. This is why bombers aren't exactly that amazing outside of sim battles. Yes, being able to take hits is nice but save that poo poo for planes like the P-47/Corsair and larger that attack a target then immediately run the gently caress away often while being shot at by a swam of slow and desperate enemies.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

What is the easiest plane to learn on? I just get loving decimated every single game. I don't get it, I get shots on planes, they just bounce off, then my wing falls off in a single hit.

Step 1 is to not be the silly person who says "the game is out to get me, personally" stuff like this. Step 2 is to hop into Mumble.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

ArchRanger posted:

I would assume because if you're in 1.0 planes then you can only get matched against other people in 1.0 to 2.0, and if you're in 2.3 you can get matched against anything from 1.3 to 3.3.

Speaking of British planes, are their 7.7mgs just ridiculously terrible? Going from Russia to the US to British to Japan, the UK aircraft have the only guns that feel like I'm needing to physically saw off my opponents' wings. Also the Japanese 7.7mgs feel ridiculously punchy compared to the others I've used.

The .303 was quite a low velocity round compared to other rounds of that size. So I guess the answer is yes. Possibly why the British adopted 20mm Hispanos while American planes just put more .50 cals in.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thief posted:

Realistic Battles:

I would argue that Yak-1(B), Yak-9(mainly T) and Yak-3 are vastly more forgiving and universal than La-5FN which might be very good in experienced hands but lacks the versatility of the Yaks.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Probably huge differences in calibre for the latter part; 7mm rounds are going to literally nibble people to death. I've put full belts of Japanese 7.62 mms into planes and failed to do anything other than gently caress up control surfaces in a non-fatal manner. Conversely .50 cals are going to loving destroy whatever you're shooting at if you get more than a few hits; 100 rounds is a near guaranteed kill. 20mm cannons are going to be low single digits to kill, at worst (though there's some belts that're total poo poo), and anything bigger than a 20mm you're unlucky if you don't kill outright. Hit something with the 75mm and just watch the entire plane disintegrate. Also, as a minor point of order, shots on planes usually don't "bounce". More typically they've hit and just gone straight through harmlessly.

Teal posted:

I would argue that Yak-1(B), Yak-9(mainly T) and Yak-3 are vastly more forgiving and universal than La-5FN which might be very good in experienced hands but lacks the versatility of the Yaks.

I used to think this but Las are loving ridiculous at retaining energy, which is a way bigger deal in RB, whereas Yaks are absolutely poo poo at using big energy advantages because they have to bleed so much of it off to avoid exploding in midair. It's really yaks that play weird compared to most planes, and they teach bad RB habits. But to be fair spits are kind of the same but they got recommended too, so maybe there's some logic to that.

Shine posted:

Step 1 is to not be the silly person who says "the game is out to get me, personally" stuff like this. Step 2 is to hop into Mumble.

They're probably just at the super annoying stage where you don't know enough about the game to know why you're bad; deaths are way more frustrating because you can't even learn from them.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

spectralent posted:

I used to think this but Las are loving ridiculous at retaining energy, which is a way bigger deal in RB, whereas Yaks are absolutely poo poo at using big energy advantages because they have to bleed so much of it off to avoid exploding in midair. It's really yaks that play weird compared to most planes, and they teach bad RB habits. But to be fair spits are kind of the same but they got recommended too, so maybe there's some logic to that.

Well, I would argue that learning that each dive is a risky investment that you have to make worth by either killing the enemy or by forcing them into deeper disadvantage and generally learning greedy energy management is a good thing.

Lavochkins seems to be about constant reactive flying where you never really make the decisions and mostly have to correctly react to what the opponent does which doesn't teach you much about the strategy and picking your engagements and such.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp

Shine posted:

Except in Tank battles where it is.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Get on mumble, play with goons. We'll teach you stuff. Air combat's not exactly intuitive and while War Thunder's matchmaker does protect you from having to fight jets in your biplane, it offers you no protection against level 100 guys who actually know how to play this game showing up and dunking on your biplane in a period-appropriate aircraft.

Honestly the Soviet Premium Chaika (the one you get free just for picking USSR as your first nation) is probable The Easiest Plane to learn biplane/turnfighter stuff on, and the Soviets also get some planes that make good trainers for other poo poo at low-tier. MiGs will you teach that high and low altitude performance can be very different even on one plane. LaGGs will teach you about boom-n-zoom and that turnfighting on the deck is where planes go to die. USSR also has a good mix of bomber/attack craft for learning to splat all those silly not-flying vehicles. If you didn't pick Soviets to start with, it's not hard to grind up enough to unlock more nations and they're all eventually good; Soviets are just my pick for easymode learning.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

spectralent posted:

They're probably just at the super annoying stage where you don't know enough about the game to know why you're bad; deaths are way more frustrating because you can't even learn from them.

It's true that you can't learn from your death IRL, but in the land of respawns, new matches, and so on, if you're not learning from your deaths you're basically doomed to be awful forever and ever.

e: I've learend that texting and talking on phones is really bad for your gampelay. I've also learned that meh who cares?

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 4, 2015

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Sometimes you may have to watch the match replay to know.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I think I saw a post on it here, but did the Buffalo used to have more .50s?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

simplefish posted:

I think I saw a post on it here, but did the Buffalo used to have more .50s?

Yes and no. The A3 Buffalo used to have 3x .50s and a .30 but now has 4x .50s. Meanwhile the A1 Buffalo had a .30 and a .50, was recently bumped to a .30 and 3x .50s, then again reduced to a .30 and a .50.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Shine posted:

Thats not at all what I meant. More I have no idea what I'm doing

I do hop into mumble when I want to play planes but I must be very unlucky cause the groups always been full

Thief posted:

It depends on the mode and what you're trying to do. Here are some favorites among most players:

Arcade Battles:
:911: - Aircobras
:godwinning: - Fw 190s
:ussr: - Yak 3 / La-5FN
:britain: - Spitfire / Beaufighter
:japan: - Ki-61 Hien w/cannons

Realistic Battles:
:911: - P-47 Thunderbolt / P-51 Mustang / F4U Cannon Corsair
:godwinning: - 109/190s duh
:britain: - Spitfire / Typhoon
:japan: - Ki-43 Hayabusa / N1K

Simulator Battles:
Learn to fly then use quite literally any plane in the game that you want and have fun.

Can't hit your target?
Use more machineguns. Examples of this include basically every single :911: fighter with .50 cals and planes like the Hurricane that carry more ammo than they actually need.

Not killing your target fast enough?
Use more cannons. British Hispanos, German Minengeschoss and Russian ShVAKs are popular here.

Wings falling off in a single hit?
Don't get hit. Seriously though, as silly as it may seem dogfighting isn't at all about plane durability. This is why bombers aren't exactly that amazing outside of sim battles. Yes, being able to take hits is nice but save that poo poo for planes like the P-47/Corsair and larger that attack a target then immediately run the gently caress away often while being shot at by a swam of slow and desperate enemies.

It's a combo of can't hit and then don't do much when I do. And yeah, not getting hit is a general goal, but I dunno how to do that either. It feels so bullshit, like I'll be a km above someone and I'll cut throttle to dive on them, they'll point their nose up (which I thought was a very bad thing but apparently not) and 1 hit me. I'll try work my way through this list but I find myself getting mad and going back to tanks pretty quick because I'm good at that relative to the general playerbase and my skill from other games carries over. The only other plane games I've played are Battlefields 2 3 and 4.

spectralent posted:

This. I'm flying LaGGs in AB and the yak 7b in RB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You don't need to cut throttle when initiating a dive, just when you start to hit the speed limit (speed indicator turns red).

Aim to swoop in on their tail rather than diving straight down from above; it's a lot harder to flip all the way around to shoot you than just pulling up 90 degrees, especially when in the latter case you're not moving across their field of fire at all.

• Locked thread