Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Please take a break -atom-, you're trying too hard

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Dangersim posted:

Please take a break -atom-, you're trying too hard

it's not "gimmicky" to say that Gadelha beat Joanna Champion

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

-Atom- posted:

No, just wrong.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
"I know 90% of my posts are transparently idiotic contrarianism, but why won't you guys engage with me seriously the one time I express a sincerely held reasonable opinion?"

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

fatherdog posted:

No, just wrong.

most people gave that fight to Gadelha at the time before everyone started falling over themselves for Joanna

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

so good

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

-Atom- posted:

most people gave that fight to Gadelha at the time before everyone started falling over themselves for Joanna

When a fighter beats the poo poo out of a champion that badly their previous close decision fights are automatically bumped up. It's a rule of MMA and one that I like. And why it's so important to beat the poo poo out of champions.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I don't know why the thread doesn't collectively put Atom on ignore aside from the fact that people love responding to him so it would be rendered useless. I know using ignore is a sign of weakness, but most trolls and gimmicks at least provide some amusement. Atom provides nothing of worth, and I guess in some ways, that makes him the ultimate troll.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 5, 2015

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
like I'm not even aware if TJ Dillashaw has ever lost a fight because he brutally hosed Barao up for like 9 rounds across two fights. It was sweet. People keep saying he lost to Assuncao but I don't believe it, have you seen TJ fight Barao? Does that seem like the kind of guy who would lose a split decision?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It looks like the US military has been dumping tons of money into sports leagues to get them to be super-duper for "The Troops":

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/pentagon-spent-millions-on-paid-patriotism-at-pro-sports-games-1.3305823

Think this is responsible for the UFC's "-- for the troops" marketing over the years?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

-Atom- posted:

Having a gimmick on a forum is daft, don't do it.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I remember when he got knocked the gently caress out by John Dodson.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

CommonShore posted:

It looks like the US military has been dumping tons of money into sports leagues to get them to be super-duper for "The Troops":

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/pentagon-spent-millions-on-paid-patriotism-at-pro-sports-games-1.3305823

Think this is responsible for the UFC's "-- for the troops" marketing over the years?

Don't they openly sponsor the UFC?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

willie_dee posted:

Don't they openly sponsor the UFC?

Hm maybe, but I remember a few cringeworthy spots on TUF or the like when they go and visit The Troops and all of the coaches and competitors are saying stuff like "we - fight - every - day - but - the - troops - are - the - real - heroes - they - fight - for - our - freedom - this - was - so - cool" while you can see their eyes going back and forth across the teleprompter, and those didn't have an explicit "Paid for by the US Marine Corps" bumper on them.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I'm so loving glad the military does that instead of putting that money into health care for vets or something else we could loving use. Maybe next Tim Kennedy can go hunt down the DOD finance officers

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Bubba Smith posted:

like I'm not even aware if TJ Dillashaw has ever lost a fight because he brutally hosed Barao up for like 9 rounds across two fights. It was sweet. People keep saying he lost to Assuncao but I don't believe it, have you seen TJ fight Barao? Does that seem like the kind of guy who would lose a split decision?

it was a close fight. assuncao is really good. raphael mightve got an edge by being the guy coming forward. its been a long time since I saw it

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

-Atom- posted:

Most people thought Shogun easily defeated Machida the first time.

Both were very close fights.

mewse
May 2, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Hm maybe, but I remember a few cringeworthy spots on TUF or the like when they go and visit The Troops and all of the coaches and competitors are saying stuff like "we - fight - every - day - but - the - troops - are - the - real - heroes - they - fight - for - our - freedom - this - was - so - cool" while you can see their eyes going back and forth across the teleprompter, and those didn't have an explicit "Paid for by the US Marine Corps" bumper on them.

The USMC definitely sponsored the UFC, and it's where the whole "check our website to find out what happens when elite cage fighters meet elite war fighters" or whatever Goldie's copy was. They sent Forrest Griffin and some other guys to Quantico for the web video.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I remember Condit beat up some guy out in Afghanistan

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

origami posted:

its an awesome video

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

origami posted:

That really is a great video.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Remember when Wandy flew off the handle when sparring with a 16-year-old kid? That's like the chaotic evil version of that video.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

maffew buildings posted:

I'm so loving glad the military does that instead of putting that money into health care for vets or something else we could loving use. Maybe next Tim Kennedy can go hunt down the DOD finance officers

I remember watching the Armed Forces Network about how NFL players were given camo-colored gloves to support the troops, and then going on a patrol of Fallujah in a Humvee without armor.

quote:

atomchat

You guys have to remember that Atom works in the California Prison-Industrial Complex. He will support snitches and fuckboys to his last breath because his livelihood depends on it.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

GSP gonna do a six-week camp to see if he wants to fight

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/freddie-roach-gsp-will-endure-training-camp-then-decide-if-he-will-return

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I hope he doesn't come back

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bundt Cake posted:

it was a close fight. assuncao is really good. raphael mightve got an edge by being the guy coming forward. its been a long time since I saw it

TJ gassed real bad. He had the beginnings of his crazy striking style, but he couldn't sustain it.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

Remember when Wandy flew off the handle when sparring with a 16-year-old kid? That's like the chaotic evil version of that video.

That was good and cool

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Dangersim posted:

That was good and cool

no it wasn't

henkman posted:

I hope he doesn't come back

superfights only. example: anderson silva.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Marching Powder posted:

superfights only. example: anderson silva.

That could be the only example, really. I'm struggling to think of a second one

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
No don't

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Bundt Cake posted:

its an awesome video

It is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myxhzSqbvxA

Kurohashi
Sep 8, 2005

*waddle waddle*
Everlast is sponsoring more MMA fighters: http://www.mmamania.com/2015/11/4/9670022/everlast-signs-ufc-champ-tj-dillashaw-along-with-rory-macdonald-ben-henderson-more-mma

Although the small sponsors are not interested in putting the effort for sponsorship opportunities aside from emailing a logo, hopefully more bigger companies buy into the opportunities that exist now with mainstream media coverage on the sport.

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground

Seltzer posted:

I don't know why the thread doesn't collectively put Atom on ignore aside from the fact that people love responding to him so it would be rendered useless. I know using ignore is a sign of weakness, but most trolls and gimmicks at least provide some amusement. Atom provides nothing of worth, and I guess in some ways, that makes him the ultimate troll.

-Atom- really isn't that bad imo. Mostly he just holds really unpopular opinions rather than posting inane factually incorrect poo poo like a few other posters have been known to do. I wouldn't consider him a troll just because he has bad opinions. it's not like he argues in bad faith, he genuinely believes most of what he posts

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
stop talking about atom

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ironic Twist posted:

BJ Penn. Finish the trilogy.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Ironic Twist posted:

if he wanted to fight bigg rigg at middleweight i'd be ok with it

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Nah, punk kid tries to go hard with pro mma fighter and gets taught a lesson was cool. Wandy could have hurt him but didnt.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Vitamin Boss posted:

-Atom- really isn't that bad imo. Mostly he just holds really unpopular opinions rather than posting inane factually incorrect poo poo like a few other posters have been known to do. I wouldn't consider him a troll just because he has bad opinions. it's not like he argues in bad faith, he genuinely believes most of what he posts

I agree with you that for a long time he posted opinions that were unpopular but were usually correct, but recently it's become bad transparent trolling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dangersim posted:

Nah, punk kid tries to go hard with pro mma fighter and gets taught a lesson was cool. Wandy could have hurt him but didnt.

i personally don't need to flex to know i'm better than a 16 year old kid at the job i'm paid to do and i'd consider those who do need to prove it childish, insecure, or retarded in a really important way

• Locked thread