Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I love Trails In The Sky FC and SC but man, those games have a terrible combat system. Enemies health is always a four (bosses even five) digit number so you will be getting area attacks from a giant loving worm with 23/8000HP left that all the characters have been wailing on for turns. Also there are the random turn effects (buffs mostly) and you can steal them by timing crit attacks or using time magic but they will benefit the enemies as you're pretty much always outnumbered so statistically the enemies get buffed or outright healed most of the time. So lots of times that 23/8000HP fucker will be healed on the last turn. All the attack animations take really goddamn long (crits even longer) and there's no way to skip them. Lots of attacks/spells are area-based but you can't choose the specific tile the character will stand on during attacking, they will always take the shortest route. You can choose tiles to move on but only without attacking.

I kinda wish there was adventure mode in TitS without any combat. Story's fun as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Wasteland2 got orders of magnitude harder once they gave me pets like discobot. Lil' roomba runs directly to the most dangerous enemy and strobes like crazy so I know where to shoot. My hang back and snipe everything as they run towards me while backing up strategy has gone to poo poo by one suicide droid I just can't allow to get critted. And I collected all these rocket launchers and grenades but now I have my most valuable member of the team constantly in the firing line.

Pets are completely uncontrollable.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ys VI commits the sin of introducing the villain in the last hour of the game. He was easy to beat, but I struggled to remember who he was and what he wanted.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

I am not listening to someone getting tortured whilst I have Crab Rangoon.

Substandard Crab Rangoon at that.

Who the gently caress has Crab Rangoon standards?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Ys VI commits the sin of introducing the villain in the last hour of the game. He was easy to beat, but I struggled to remember who he was and what he wanted.

If only he could have been a well developed and interesting villain, like in:

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Super Mario Bros. 2

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Lizard Wizard posted:

Who the gently caress has Crab Rangoon standards?

No reptillian mages, evidently.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Terminally Bored posted:

I love Trails In The Sky FC and SC but man, those games have a terrible combat system. Enemies health is always a four (bosses even five) digit number so you will be getting area attacks from a giant loving worm with 23/8000HP left that all the characters have been wailing on for turns. Also there are the random turn effects (buffs mostly) and you can steal them by timing crit attacks or using time magic but they will benefit the enemies as you're pretty much always outnumbered so statistically the enemies get buffed or outright healed most of the time. So lots of times that 23/8000HP fucker will be healed on the last turn. All the attack animations take really goddamn long (crits even longer) and there's no way to skip them. Lots of attacks/spells are area-based but you can't choose the specific tile the character will stand on during attacking, they will always take the shortest route. You can choose tiles to move on but only without attacking.

I kinda wish there was adventure mode in TitS without any combat. Story's fun as hell.

SC is suffering for a not-too-impressive Hard mode too. Hard mode is good when it makes every turn count, and has you using most of your items just to succeed. But this game just doubles - literally doubles - the attack damage enemies do. I've fought the first 4 bosses (which are presented as like sub or mini bosses), and each time I thought it was one of those fights your could lose and still progress; but nope, just regular fights.

Notable good Hard Mode games, I think are Dragon Age Inquisition, where I'd have to use traps and firebombs at the beginning, and really expanded my thinking tactially; and God of War (2). God of War is a notorious button masher, but hard mode makes you really have to think about what you're doing. Trails in the Sky SC is just - bam, double damage. I had to switch to normal, which is still somewhat challenging.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I disliked about the end of FC4 was that the game made some assumptions based on what you choose. Like if you chose to kill Pagan Min it gives you a thing about how you gave up your task and I'm like, no I didn't. I just thought killing Min was important too because he was a loving monster.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Kimmalah posted:

There was a game that came out about a month before Skyrim that's probably the major culprit but I don't remember if we're still not supposed to mention it in the thread. :v:

:darksouls: ban is lifted. I was away for a while but I don't think DS2 was a problem, either.

Kimmalah posted:

I always found Yrden to work best for that guy. You just set the trap, lure him into it and then you get a bunch of free hits. I always found Aard to be kind of a gamble - it either works really really well or completely fails.

I never really used Yrden and Axii in combat until Witcher 3 unless I really had to (Kayran, Speech checks). I think having Yrden cause wraiths to materialize was to encourage people to use it more often.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Undertale. Every boss battle in undertale is, at the very least, a clever callback to earlier events in the plot. Most of them are thoroughly developed characters who have entire storylines play out during their fights.

Thing dragging a hell of a lot of games down: people think video games are poorly written so people writing video games don't bother to put in effort that will likely be wasted.

And then something like Undertale comes along and shows loving everyone how it's done.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Oh yeah, it's pretty similar in Saints Row IV and you pretty much have to stick to one weapon from each category to have a chance of seeing its final form. Unless you do a lot of open world loving around, which admittedly is SRIV's whole thing, but still.

Actually in most games that have different weapon variations I'd prefer it if it was like the old days where you got the pistol, the shotgun, the assault rifle and so on. Looking at you, Phantom Pain.
You could still have three of each weapon if you just made it so that upgrades applied to the weapon category instead of the individual weapon. Having to separately upgrade each of the three pistols, each of the three shotguns, etc. just means you basically have to pick one and stick with it rather than switching around whenever you feel like it.

It'd be slightly complicated because some of the weapons have different upgrades in the same category (even outside of the unique upgrade each weapon has), but you could just match them up with whatever was closest.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I loved Saints Row 4 but its goofiness meant that weapon balance went out the window. Like, a fully-upgraded dubstep game was effectively a rapid-firing rocket launcher with infinite ammo that stunned every enemy in range so there was really no reason to bother with anything else.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

I loved Saints Row 4 but its goofiness meant that weapon balance went out the window. Like, a fully-upgraded dubstep game was effectively a rapid-firing rocket launcher with infinite ammo that stunned every enemy in range so there was really no reason to bother with anything else.

is this another freudian slip or an inept attempt at starting a running joke

e: oh i see, freudian slip :v:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

All the Saints Row games since at least 2 have had some stupidly overpowered weapons. In 2 it was stuff like the automatic shotgun with unlimited ammunition. In 3 it was the pistol with explosive bullets. 4 and GOoH at least give you more options for which overpowered weapon you want to use.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
One thing that was just really dumb about saints row 4 was that you could get the infinite stamina upgrade within an hour or two of playing which basically just turned you into god. Also the singular alien faction was poo poo, so was having to catch the golden snitch to end enemy alert.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It was hard to get a good rampage going in Saints Row 4 as you progressed. Smaller numbers of more elite enemies would replace the basic grunts, rather than appear alongside them, as your notoriety built.

If you're a wretched soul like me who has to get all the achievements, you'd need far, far more money than you'd get completing every challenge to buy every weapon upgrade in a Gat out of Hell.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

One of these days Bethesda will find a way to make an intro sequence that isn't stupid and boring.

Unfortunately that day isn't the release of Fallout 4.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
Fallout 4: I hope you enjoy five selections straight from Fallout 3's radio station playlist played on an endless loop.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

kazil posted:

One of these days Bethesda will find a way to make an game that isn't stupid and boring.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Wow, you guys are slow, I was expecting Fallout 4 posts way quicker than that. Hell, I had one lined up from when the game was first announced, I was just waiting for release to see if they fixed it.

What happened to cause that base HUD!? There's no definition in the bars or the compass, it looks like a proof-of-concept mockup or a placeholder. It's such a confusing step down, it's basically an ugly version of Fallout 3's. The power armor HUD looks great, you've got sort of a Metroid Prime thing where it looks like it's actually the insides of the helmet, it's really just the on-foot stuff.

It's such a blatant issue that I feel like I'm somehow the one at fault here. Like I'm somehow missing some detail that makes this good, because the plain-ness of that thing makes me think 'early-access title that hasn't gotten around to an artpass yet'.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cleretic posted:

Wow, you guys are slow, I was expecting Fallout 4 posts way quicker than that.
People can't post about a game they can't play :shepface: based on a quick glimpse of the Steam forums, a whole lot of people can't even get past the start screen without the game crashing. People aren't being as loud about the game's flaws as expected, especially considering the hype that came before its release but considering the sheer size of fuckuppery here it really sounds like Bethesda blew themselves out of the water this time.

EDIT: It's still GOTY though.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 10:07 on Nov 10, 2015

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Just get a brief black screen after the launcher on my laptop, thought that was just my Toshiba being a Toshiba though (it runs MGS V fine though at low quality). Hopefully any day one patches will be out by the time I'm done with work and it'll work on my actual PC

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Old Man Murray used to have a "Start to Crate" score in its reviews, to show how soon after starting the game you saw a crate.

I'd like to propose a "Start to "corrupted" score for everything Blizzard makes.

For Legacy of the Void: 23 minutes. Including cutscenes.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

kazil posted:

One of these days Bethesda will find a way to make an intro sequence that isn't stupid and boring.

Unfortunately that day isn't the release of Fallout 4.

Well that didn't take long. Time for everyone to play another 100-200 hours of a bad game they totally hate.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Kimmalah posted:

Well that didn't take long. Time for everyone to play another 100-200 hours of a bad game they totally hate.

You showed him, bud.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Kimmalah posted:

When I chose Gaming, I was not expecting an easy life.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The dubstep gun in Saints Row 4 is supposed to be a pretty late game weapon, so it's okay that it's really powerful.

I think preordering gave it right away though.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
In Fallout 4 you cannot have dog and robot following you at the same time. It's New Vegas all over again.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

scarycave posted:

In Fallout 4 you cannot have dog and robot following you at the same time. It's New Vegas all over again.

I don't get it.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

The dubstep gun in Saints Row 4 is supposed to be a pretty late game weapon, so it's okay that it's really powerful.

No the hype for how awesome it was made it available rather quickly into the plot. To be fair, it is the best gun ever so I can't blame them for caving in and giving it too us early. The mission where you "first" acquire the gun is still in the game untouched though, which makes it kind of jarring.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Xoidanor posted:

I don't get it.

Me neither, considering that one of the New Vegas companions was a robot dog. Technically a cyborg, but that is just a minor detail.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm pretty sure he means the general problem of all the companions being cool and you being stuck having to choose only one (of each type).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

MrJacobs posted:

No the hype for how awesome it was made it available rather quickly into the plot. To be fair, it is the best gun ever so I can't blame them for caving in and giving it too us early. The mission where you "first" acquire the gun is still in the game untouched though, which makes it kind of jarring.
The mission itself is fairly late but you can get it early through activities, and I don't know why you wouldn't after all the trailers that put it front and center.

Saints Row is great but its marketing seems hell bent on showing off everything they've got in advance.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Honestly, the balance and difficulty are all over the place in that game. You get a bunch of overpowered stuff really early but then you get your cool stuff arbitrarily taken away for various missions, and sometimes you'll go from a mission where you have to kill a shitload of tough enemies all at once to one where you're only ever attacked by small groups of weak enemies. It's a really fun game, but once the shine wears off the flaws are pretty glaring.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Saints Row is great but its marketing seems hell bent on showing off everything they've got in advance.
They show off a lot of the big stuff, but there're always a million little things between each big one. And I think the bigger problem (in 3 and 4) is that those big promo moments can be pretty tedious to play through once you've already seen them, either in the trailer or a previous playthrough. Like the mission in SR3 where you jump out of the plane - it was hilarious, but if you try to play the game a second time it quickly becomes tedious, and the mission later on where you do the same thing but in a tank even more so.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Wow, you guys are slow, I was expecting Fallout 4 posts way quicker than that. Hell, I had one lined up from when the game was first announced, I was just waiting for release to see if they fixed it.

What happened to cause that base HUD!? There's no definition in the bars or the compass, it looks like a proof-of-concept mockup or a placeholder. It's such a confusing step down, it's basically an ugly version of Fallout 3's. The power armor HUD looks great, you've got sort of a Metroid Prime thing where it looks like it's actually the insides of the helmet, it's really just the on-foot stuff.

It's such a blatant issue that I feel like I'm somehow the one at fault here. Like I'm somehow missing some detail that makes this good, because the plain-ness of that thing makes me think 'early-access title that hasn't gotten around to an artpass yet'.

I'm with you on the ugly UI. It looks as if they really wanted to make it look like a mobile game. Having the UI be solid colors and solid blocks instead of the faux computer code they had in New Vegas and F3. It looks simpler and kind of jarring. Hoping a mod brings back the old UI.

Maybe it caused too much of a strain on the system with bullet time VATS?

It feels like a cartoon and clean when everything else is gritty / decaying

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I haven't seen the UI but that's kind of a central theme and running joke in the Fallout universe, see also: the cartoon Vault Dweller mascot, the bright colors of the Vault Tec uniforms, the cheery 40s music on all the radios, etc.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm pretty sure he means the general problem of all the companions being cool and you being stuck having to choose only one (of each type).

This is like the first people that thing that modders tend to mod in after nude bodymaps and lovely upscaled "HIGH-DEF BROS" texture packs so I don't think that it will be a problem for long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Ryoshi posted:

I haven't seen the UI but that's kind of a central theme and running joke in the Fallout universe, see also: the cartoon Vault Dweller mascot, the bright colors of the Vault Tec uniforms, the cheery 40s music on all the radios, etc.

Nah, the UI just has no personality at all. From what I've seen, it's super basic, just empty linear gauges that fill up, and ammo in clip right over ammo pool. I'm not expecting something super ornate or cluttered like the UIs from Diablo or the original Fallout, especially for an FPS, but something recognisable. The original Thief has one of the most minimalist UIs, but it's still recognisable. The FO4 UI is just boring.