Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I hope some force-cancelling lizards live in those force-sensitive trees, thereby making them regular trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Maybe someone mentioned this in the past 800 pages, but the Triumph of the Will scene being used for the Rebels at the end of ANH is a pretty good indicator that the 'good guys' are not always coded as the 'good guys.' By temporarily defeating the Space Nazis through violence, they have become Space Nazis themselves. Luke has conquered on the physical plane, but he has not conquered on the spiritual plane; this is the whole message of Dagobah; the Death Star has not really been destroyed.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Also, the films have always been against democracy when defined as majority rule. The majority of people elected Palpatine to power, and the majority of people are happy to have even more power. There's a dictatorship in democracy that's evident from the very first scenes of Episode 1.

Anakin is right: Obiwan's impartiality, neutrality, and overall refusal to adopt a perspective holds him back from actually accomplishing the Jedi's stated goals. Anakin believes a benevolent dictatorship is necessary, and he's not entirely wrong there.

This would seem to support the idea that Lucas doesn't want "Democracy" as Obi Wan does; he wants an enlightened Philosopher King (like Darth Vader?): https://partners.nytimes.com/library/film/032199lucas-wars-excerpts.html

George Lucas posted:

There's no respect for the office of the Presidency. Not that we need a king, but there's a reason why kings built large palaces, sat on thrones and wore rubies all over. There's a whole social need for that, not to oppress the masses, but to impress the masses and make them proud and allow them to feel good about their culture, their government and their ruler so that they are left feeling that a ruler has the right to rule over them, so that they feel good rather than disgusted about being ruled. In the past, the media basically worked for the state and was there to build the culture. Now, obviously, in some cases it got used in a wrong way and you ended up with the whole balance of power out of whack. But there's probably no better form of government than a good despot. . . . You try to keep people from being used or abused and listen to their grievances and try to do what is fair. Some people get upset because they want everything. Some people feel that they deserve to have everything, even though there's no reason for it. They just feel it's their right. That's one of the problems of a democracy. You get these individual voices that are very loud, and very dysfunctional. And if you cater to those voices, you end up with a very dysfunctional society.

If I were SMG, I would read V for Vendetta as the true spiritual sequel to the prequels, in which Padme, emancipated from her role as the puppet of Lucas and Palpatine in a doomed space opera, actually does team up with Darth Vader to enact radical Justice.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Nessus posted:

Yeah, all the "har har, why not just shoot bullets at them, or this or that other technical solution" overlooks that even during the height of the Republic there were like, what, twenty thousand Jedi maybe? For the entire galaxy? So it'd be like spending money to develop a military solution custom-designed to easily and crushingly fend off a rampaging elephant. It could happen. It's not impossible. But it would've been real rare.

I bet the separatists got some hilarious Jedi kills in, but I also imagine it only takes a few of those before the space wizards start getting wise to weird poo poo.

These were pretty much the Separatists' main anti-Jedi dudes:

As we saw in Episode I droidekas started out being pretty effective against Jedi, but TCW showed the Jedi successfully developing strategies to counter them, just like you said.

Anyway I like how in one episode of TCW this exchange actually happens:

quote:

Battle Droid 1: So have you ever killed a Jedi before?
Battle Droid 2: No, never!

Then they both immediately get lightsabered to death. I don't care what anyone says, the battle droid gags in TCW were funny as poo poo.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Fun fact: it took them 30 years to officially determine how many toes Yoda has.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Yoda%27s_species
They still don't know what species he is or where they come from.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I had a dream that I saw Force Awakens. Both Kylo Ren and his boss had Dark Helmet's giant exaggerated headgear.

The movie has been ruined for me now, because it cannot live up to the version that had two Dark Helmets on screen at the same time.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Note that the Force Sensitive Tree is from the Clone Wars cartoon (and Poe Dameron's family backstory) so that's not some random EU bullshit from an obscure old novel, that's part of the current canon.

Literally the last shot of the series is of the Force-sensitive tree's flowers blossoming as Yoda speaks of the existence of a new hope for the galaxy which is as yet unknown to the Sith. Yoda is (uncomprehendingly) talking about Luke and Leia, and I guess the implication is that the tree itself has actually in some way sensed their conception, which must have been around this point in the timeline.

Anyway, it's not unprecedented. Why is the tree-cave on Dagobah (which Yoda discovers in the same arc) so strong with the dark side of the Force? The EU had some balderdash about a dark Jedi having died there at some point in the past, but maybe the tree is especially attuned to the Force because that's just the way it is.

The Jedi Temple tree was almost certainly inspired by the White Tree of Gondor from The Lord of the Rings. Especially with all that stuff about Poe Dameron's family replanting one of its twigs on Yavin 4. Kind of fitting, too, given that in the old EU Yavin 4 was where Luke established his new Jedi Temple.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I see what looks like an old General Ackbar in that TV-spot.

It better not be a....ruse.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Is a force-sensitive tree so bad? It ties back into Yoda's ESB speech about the force being all around us :shobon:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cat Machine posted:

Is a force-sensitive tree so bad? It ties back into Yoda's ESB speech about the force being all around us :shobon:

It would be cool if the trees were part of a complicated alien life-cycle like in Orson Scott Card's Speaker For the Dead.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grendels Dad posted:

The way Star Wars fans are described in this thread makes me think that they give off a magnificent light when you burn them, on account of all the straw they are made of.

They must be made of the same material as your arguments.

Lessail posted:

sounds like the mcu to me

Yeah, the MCU (at least as of Avengers) is a very similar setup. Basically Disney knows exactly how to market to manchildren. There's a reason why they haven't done this with (eg) their animated movies.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 13, 2015

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cat Machine posted:

I guess for me it sounds bad because I associate Force users with lightsaber-twirlers so strongly.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Double post, but that TV spot sounded like it had new John Williams score on it. Possibly Rey's Theme? Or the Dual of the Fates, or Across the Stars for this movie.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The fact they sped up Rey's line "I'm no-one" for that TV Spot to make it fit triggers me no end.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grendels Dad posted:

The way Star Wars fans are described in this thread makes me think that they give off a magnificent light when you burn them, on account of all the straw they are made of.

If only I could be so grossly incandescent.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RBA Starblade posted:

If only I could be so grossly incandescent.

Luminous beings we are.

Corek fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 13, 2015

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Gonz posted:

Stormtroopers armed with vibroblades to parry lightsaber attacks? The First Order is already 20 times smarter than it's predecessor.
Looking at the screengrab, it appears to be some sort of shielded instrument, and not a "vibroblade" with "cortosis weave" or whatever.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

I enjoyed Abrams Trek and his movies were the most successful of the Star Trek films. He managed to make Trek movies that everybody wanted to watch.

Thanks, I never realized that critiquing movies was this easy. If I ever I want to find out how good a movie is I just have to check box office records! So much easier than thinking or talking, why did I not think of that?

(They also were released to by far the largest audience of any Trek films, so this isn't even a fair comparison.)

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Viller posted:

His voice kinda breaks up on the 2nd line too, was already ok with it but its even better now.

I loved the break-up in his voice. It displayed emotional motivation that we usually don't see in villains.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Gonz posted:

vibroblades

:vomarine:

Please, that poo poo belongs in the embarrassing EU and video games. Nobody cares how smart or realistic 30 year old man children think skeleton fascists with swords are.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What was the site that had most of the major (maybbbbe) spoilers? Gleaned from leaked call sheets, etc?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Arglebargle III posted:

:vomarine:

Please, that poo poo belongs in the embarrassing EU and video games. Nobody cares how smart or realistic 30 year old man children think skeleton fascists with swords are.

Why is the expanded universe "embarrassing" to you? If you choose not to consume any of it, that's fine. But there's no need to belittle it

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

BonoMan posted:

What was the site that had most of the major (maybbbbe) spoilers? Gleaned from leaked call sheets, etc?

I don't know, but here's the spoiler thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748341

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

jivjov posted:

Why is the expanded universe "embarrassing" to you? If you choose not to consume any of it, that's fine. But there's no need to belittle it
lmao

Serf
May 5, 2011

To be fair, if you are a grown-rear end human being arguing whether or not the First Order trooper was using a vibroblade or a Magnaguard electrostaff you should be pretty drat embarrassed EU or no.

(totally an electrostaff tho)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

jivjov posted:

And yet, I feel the need so acutely.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Serf posted:

To be fair, if you are a grown-rear end human being arguing whether or not the First Order trooper was using a vibroblade or a Magnaguard electrostaff you should be pretty drat embarrassed EU or no.

(totally an electrostaff tho)

I can't wait to see the staff more fully. It obviously isn't identical to the buzzy purple ones the magnaguards were using, but it looks so cool.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

Because fan-fiction is bad. Nerds are dumb and their feelings should always be belittled.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Because fan-fiction is bad. Nerds are dumb and their feelings should always be belittled.

You hate yourself.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
We're all nerds here. There's always a lot of hissing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Electromax posted:

We're all nerds here. There's always a lot of hissing.

That's just off gassing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Well if arguing over the canonicity of Han Solo loving a giant space weasel is wrong then I never want to be right. :colbert:

Related:
9 wildest Star Wars flame wars that exploded on Wikipedia

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
A better look at the blaster Han hands over to Rey:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

When did fanfiction enter the equation?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

I think Heir to the Empire came out in 1991.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

jivjov posted:

When this dude George Lucas made some fan fiction and called it "Star Wars"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

PunkBoy posted:

A better look at the blaster Han hands over to Rey:

tasty though it will be hard to beat han solo's blaster

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Star Wars is just Flash Gordon fanfiction with names swapped out.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Shockeh posted:

The fact they sped up Rey's line "I'm no-one" for that TV Spot to make it fit triggers me no end.

As a person who makes TV spots for movies literally every single one employs some fashion of audio trickery to make everything fit. You're only noticing because it is Star Wars, sped up voices for timing happens all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

"It doesn't make sense for the Empire to be racist; it would make them a less efficient fighting machine." -- an actual Star Wars fan

• Locked thread