Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Bubba Smith posted:

aldo should be focusing on demonstrating the "I'm not going to miss another $4 million payday" strategy, in which case, light sparring is probably the best thing to do.

While Nova Uniao is a band of troglodytes when it comes to sparring, Aldo got injured due to a slip and not the hard sparring.

They seriously need to reconsider the poo poo they do to train there,in the road to octagon or whatever for the Dillashaw v.Barao you can see a lot of mooks getting tagged pretty badly by barao.How do you build fighters or a camp the proper way is every day is a battle for survival?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Lamadrid posted:

While Nova Uniao is a band of troglodytes when it comes to sparring, Aldo got injured due to a slip and not the hard sparring.

They seriously need to reconsider the poo poo they do to train there,in the road to octagon or whatever for the Dillashaw v.Barao you can see a lot of mooks getting tagged pretty badly by barao.How do you build fighters or a camp the proper way is every day is a battle for survival?

You just answered your own question. They have a big pool to draw from, they throw a bunch of crap at the wall to see what sticks and a guy like Barao who is not technically great but is huge and strong for the division, fast, has a really good chin, hits really hard, tough etc - total attribute fighter, is what comes out when youre lucky

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Lamadrid posted:

Dillashaw is infamous for going too hard in sparring. It isn't an isolated problem.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Dillashaw is infamous for going too hard in sparring. It isn't an isolated problem.

Yeah but the reason he has that reputation is because he trains at gyms where "sparring too hard" is a concept that exists. Theres a difference between one guy sparring too hard by his partners standards, and a whole gym whose philosophy is about everyone sparring too hard

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

manyak posted:

Yeah but the reason he has that reputation is because he trains at gyms where "sparring too hard" is a concept that exists. Theres a difference between one guy sparring too hard by his partners standards, and a whole gym whose philosophy is about everyone sparring too hard

You're right and I should have just said AKA or Roufusport.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 13, 2015

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The coolest thing to me would be, after all the buildup, Aldo just coasting and outpointing Connor without really trying, the way he did to Lamas and Florian and was on his way to doing against TKZ.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I want to see how Conor's huge weight cut affects his cardio in later rounds.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Snowman_McK posted:

The coolest thing to me would be, after all the buildup, Aldo just coasting and outpointing Connor without really trying, the way he did to Lamas and Florian and was on his way to doing against TKZ.

That would be funny but I can see Aldo trying to finish Conor relatively quickly to lessen the chance of getting caught by a heavy counter.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I want to see how Conor's huge weight cut affects his cardio in later rounds.

He looked like death at his last weigh in.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
If Conor does lose, the best outcome for him is probably a 4th or 5th round finish or decision where he's obviously drained in the championship rounds. Then he could say that he's just too big for the division, the cut is killing him, and he'll move to lightweight.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Northjayhawk posted:

If Conor does lose, the best outcome for him is probably a 4th or 5th round finish or decision where he's obviously drained in the championship rounds. Then he could say that he's just too big for the division, the cut is killing him, and he'll move to lightweight.

and then frankie goes back up to lightweight and beats the poo poo out of him just for funsies

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Northjayhawk posted:

Which is funny because Aldo really won't have anything to prove and might as well move up to 155 because his cut is huge too.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Trast posted:

Which is funny because Aldo really won't have anything to prove and might as well move up to 155 because his cut is huge too.

That's been the rumor.

What could happen is Aldo moves up to lightweight and instead of Conor going up too, UFC offers Conor to fight the winner of Mendes/Edgar next summer for the vacant featherweight belt. That would be cool and would keep featherweight rolling.

And Aldo fighting for the lightweight belt next summer would work too since after RDA/Cerrone there aren't any clear #1 contenders. Benson could feasibly earn a rematch against either if he beats Thiago Alves later this month, but I think we've all seen enough Bendo title fights for a lifetime. Pettis might also earn a rematch and is the leading choice but I don't think it would be terrible if Aldo got picked over him. Khabib pulling out of that December fight really hosed things up.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I go back and forth about how much I expect weight cuts and cardio to matter for this fight. On the one hand, since the Hominick fight (the one fight where Aldo looked really bad in the later rounds), his cardio hasn't been particularly bad in five rounders - on the other hand, I feel like he's fought at a noticeably slower pace since then so it seems like that's down more to him getting better at pacing himself. Being forced to fight in such a way that he doesn't control the pace could certainly have him gassing again.

On the other hand, in a fight I would expect to take place largely on the feet, how does it play out that affects the pace in a way that would seriously gas Aldo? I guess if he spends a lot of time trying to use kicks to cut off the cage against Conor and failing, he'd be moving a lot more than he's used to chasing him down and that could wear on him, but if Aldo spends the early rounds failing to land leg kicks and chasing Conor into countershots he's going to be in trouble whether he gasses or not.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

If Conor loses convincingly and heads up to LW for richer pickings, how likely is it that they'll rematch him with Joe Duffy? Or is it too small of a draw?
The reason I ask is that PaddyPower (bookie) are offering 25-1 that his next match is Duffy, might have a flutter.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Duffy vs Conor II has a good chance of happening sometime during their UFC careers, but for it to happen next would take a lot of factors. 25-1 is a good return for money you don't give a poo poo about.

Duffy/Poirier is scheduled to happen a few weeks after McGregor's fight and they both have a history with McGregor, so someone from that fight being chosen to challenge McGregor is a safe pick for a theoretical move up to LW. I'd put money on the Aldo rematch before anything else, however.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

We don't need another hero.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
Man I would love to see Cerrone v. Aldo for the LW belt (gently caress that, I don't care about the belt, I'd just love to see them fight).

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

Man I would love to see Cerrone v. Aldo for the LW belt (gently caress that, I don't care about the belt, I'd just love to see them fight).

Why do you hate Donald Cerrone?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

That's not something that would go well for Cerrone.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
donald cerrone as he is right this second is an incredibly tough out for literally anyone who can fight at his weight and no outcome is a foregone conclusion imo

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

lol what?!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

outy posted:

If Conor loses convincingly and heads up to LW for richer pickings, how likely is it that they'll rematch him with Joe Duffy? Or is it too small of a draw?
The reason I ask is that PaddyPower (bookie) are offering 25-1 that his next match is Duffy, might have a flutter.

If he loses decisively I think he'll move up but I don't think he'll end up against Duffy - a lot of the casual fans don't know who Duffy is and promoting him with "this guy already beat Conor once" is a nightmare when they're trying to build Conor back up towards title contention. My guess is he'd fight Pettis, an ex-champion v ex-champion (ish) fight would sell and I think Conor would be a reasonable favourite.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
Embedded episode 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM_r7X2Rt_U

I am kind of wanting Valerie to give Joanna Champion a good fight, but it is so tough when the champion is so likable and so very, very good at fighting. I hope the fight is competitive and I don't want to see Valerie all hosed up Penne like. I am almost looking forward to that fight as much as the Rousey fight. Silva looks very healthy. He almost looks different than he has in previous fights, even his face looks different.

Episode 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMiAd2STAf4
Episode 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hGPf1BTxjQ
Episode 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iixYjUo4AyY

Meowbot fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 13, 2015

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Just clowning those sparring partners.

Crocop posted:

But a desperate man will try anything.
So mentally strong, that Crocop never wavered mentally while sticking to the tried and true of pushing opponents away and doing the gable grip full guard.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

drat mark looks good, and happy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

fatherdog posted:

I go back and forth about how much I expect weight cuts and cardio to matter for this fight. On the one hand, since the Hominick fight (the one fight where Aldo looked really bad in the later rounds), his cardio hasn't been particularly bad in five rounders - on the other hand, I feel like he's fought at a noticeably slower pace since then so it seems like that's down more to him getting better at pacing himself. Being forced to fight in such a way that he doesn't control the pace could certainly have him gassing again.

On the other hand, in a fight I would expect to take place largely on the feet, how does it play out that affects the pace in a way that would seriously gas Aldo? I guess if he spends a lot of time trying to use kicks to cut off the cage against Conor and failing, he'd be moving a lot more than he's used to chasing him down and that could wear on him, but if Aldo spends the early rounds failing to land leg kicks and chasing Conor into countershots he's going to be in trouble whether he gasses or not.

The Hominick fight was the one where he had to bow out of an on-stage event the day before and was rumoured to be dealing with a bout of flu, right?

The rumour came after the fight naturally so who knows how much credit to put into it but he did look awful leading into the fight that time.

I could see Aldo taking it to the ground and stalling Conor out for one or two rounds honestly. I don't think Aldo's at a huge disadvantage on the feet, if at one at all, but frustrating Conor would probably work better for him. I hope they just slug at each other though.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Aldo doesn't usually try to stall fights on the ground. He constantly tries to pass. You can see this in his fights with Florian, Lamas and maybe Hominick but I haven't watched that in a while. He mounted Florian a bunch of times but Kenny was constantly moving and got back to half guard or guard but exhausted himself doing it. Aldo took Lamas down a couple of times and mounted him with really slick transitions then took his back in the 5th round. Lamas reversed him then and proceeded to do nothing of significance with the best opportunity he had in that fight.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 13, 2015

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Meowbot posted:

Embedded episode 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM_r7X2Rt_U

I am kind of wanting Valerie to give Joanna Champion a good fight, but it is so tough when the champion is so likable and so very, very good at fighting. I hope the fight is competitive and I don't want to see Valerie all hosed up Penne like. I am almost looking forward to that fight as much as the Rousey fight. Silva looks very healthy. He almost looks different than he has in previous fights, even his face looks different.

Episode 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMiAd2STAf4
Episode 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hGPf1BTxjQ
Episode 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iixYjUo4AyY

She at least doesn't have that super punchable nose like Penne had, that got torn up in her fight.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Aldo took Lamas down a couple of times and mounted him with really slick transitions then took his back in the 5th round.

http://i.imgur.com/uPrTBVp.gifv :allears:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Hahaha the new ufc game has a "no grappling" mode. EA knows what's up. gently caress this dumb sport.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Hahaha the new ufc game has a "no grappling" mode. EA knows what's up. gently caress this dumb sport.

I heard if you play as Conor in career mode there's a 'no wrestlers' option :v:

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
lol Conor McGregor sucks

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Triticum Guzzler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywa5DvBjas4

important takeaway: a guy from aka and a guy from nova uniao run a gym in a country where the fighters are broken down and old by the age of 12

Pictured: Hunt-Silva 1

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I'm trying to sell my friends on Joanna by telling them that she's a plastic surgeon in reverse. I've only seen her last two fights though, how were her two decision wins? I'm just hoping for more blood and destruction.

mewse
May 2, 2006

attackmole posted:

I'm trying to sell my friends on Joanna by telling them that she's a plastic surgeon in reverse. I've only seen her last two fights though, how were her two decision wins? I'm just hoping for more blood and destruction.

Her bout with Gadelha was a controversial decision

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

mewse posted:

Her bout with Gadelha was a controversial decision

She almost finished Gadelha in the first round before the bell saved her. People will argue up and down about who "actually" won but in the books Joanna won and it's given us a streak of awesome. Meanwhile Gadelha keeps getting hurt and posting bikini pics on instagram so I think everyone comes out as a winner in this.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It also has a training camp mode where there's a possibility for you to get injured by training too hard.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

attackmole posted:

She comfortably won her debut, the Gadelha fight isn't that controversial in retrospect. Also agree with the previous poster, injured Gadelha posts lots of cute selfies so it's a win/win.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

afatwhiteloaf posted:

It also has a training camp mode where there's a possibility for you to get injured by training too hard.

Oh right lol

And the wording of it sounds like you always fight anyway. Company stooge simulator 2k15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Oh right lol

And the wording of it sounds like you always fight anyway. Company stooge simulator 2k15

Can you list your injuries going into the bout during the post-fight speech? :ortiz:

• Locked thread