Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

kickascii posted:

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to my video settings to make this game not look all whitewashed? I'm tweaking different things but nothing is working.

I'm pretty sure that's fog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Genocyber posted:

Cool, thanks for the opinions. I'll probably pick it up in a Black Friday sale (or earlier if I get bored with MGSV).
You can get it at least 15% off (I think there's a 20% off code out there still) on GreenManGaming right now. I pre-ordered it on a 23% off deal. I have a feeling you won't see it on sale cheaper for a long time.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I think it might be as well

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin

Where did you get this?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

AceSnyp3r posted:

You can get it at least 15% off (I think there's a 20% off code out there still) on GreenManGaming right now. I pre-ordered it on a 23% off deal. I have a feeling you won't see it on sale cheaper for a long time.

I know, but I got to get the PS4 version cause all I gots is a laptop.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I'm pretty sure that's fog.

It's a little extreme in that picture, but yes this is a very foggy game. Then a radstorm pops up and you can just forget about seeing anything at all for the next few minutes.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

kickascii posted:

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to my video settings to make this game not look all whitewashed? I'm tweaking different things but nothing is working.

I'm pretty sure the problem is that you've accidentally booted up a Turok ROM on your N64 emulator.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So it turns out that nerds are terrible with money and writing mods is popular, because I've made 50 bucks through donations in the last three days. Holy poo poo I honestly didn't even imagine that anyone would do that, I'm kinda stunned right now.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

kickascii posted:

Unless it constantly looks like that, that just happens sometimes - it's just their fog weather effect. It's ugly as gently caress, but it's intentional.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

Every companion apart from Strong and Dogmeat will get awfully angry with you if you chow down on people, so those will be your only options for buddies.

People use companions besides Dogmeat?

hosed up!

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Some times when I switch weapons it takes upwards of 5 seconds for the new weapon to come into my hands. Is this a feature or some sort of annoying bug?

Its an absolute pain in the rear end when I try to go between my marksman rifle and my shotgun when a Deathclaw has closed into shotgun range.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

The game is really good when you don't do the actual story and just go around doing side missions and shooting mutants and exploring instead.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mendrian posted:

People use companions besides Dogmeat?

hosed up!

I can't understand what would make people want to use a Bethesda coded companion if they've ever played one of their games before. At least the dog doesn't talk.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010

Here I am underwater... man this game looks like complete garbage, would love to be able to play it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Efb

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I'm pretty sure I know what is causing the auto equip and favoriting of the baton and 10mm pistol. In the tutorial portion of the game, namely leaving vault 111, when you pick up the baton or the 10mm pistol it auto equips it since you don't have the pipboy yet to go into the menu and do it yourself. The code must never turn off that check once you leave the tutorial so anytime you pick up either of those weapons it still auto equips them and favorites them. Not sure how to remove this annoyance without modding though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Question about stealth; does it only synergize with melee (with some applications with explosives) like in the previous games or can it be used effectively with guns? I never liked how firing once basically made every enemy in the area instantly home in on you.

The Iron Rose posted:

So it turns out that nerds are terrible with money and writing mods is popular, because I've made 50 bucks through donations in the last three days. Holy poo poo I honestly didn't even imagine that anyone would do that, I'm kinda stunned right now.

Writing mods?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I'm pretty sure I know what is causing the auto equip and favoriting of the baton and 10mm pistol. In the tutorial portion of the game, namely leaving vault 111, when you pick up the baton or the 10mm pistol it auto equips it since you don't have the pipboy yet to go into the menu and do it yourself. The code must never turn off that check once you leave the tutorial so anytime you pick up either of those weapons it still auto equips them and favorites them. Not sure how to remove this annoyance without modding though.
Naw, the auto equip glitch happens with all weapons. I think I got around it by putting other weapons in that equip slot and/or manually removing them from the autoequip slots. It can be annoying, but I've never had it happen when it wasn't me just doing inventory poo poo though.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Question about stealth; does it only synergize with melee (with some applications with explosives) like in the previous games or can it be used effectively with guns? I never liked how firing once basically made every enemy in the area instantly home in on you.

Writing mods?

It seems to depend on what gun you're using and how much patience you have. Also can't you silence guns now?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

sector_corrector posted:

I can't understand what would make people want to use a Bethesda coded companion if they've ever played one of their games before. At least the dog doesn't talk.

Companions are portable loot vaults that frequently block your shots. Dogmeat is a useless poo poo who constantly blocks your movement.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

you can favorite items like stim packs and use them as quickly as you can press down on the d-pad > A :ssh:

I wish the favorites menu (as well as some other ui/menu functions) was easy to use with a mouse and keyboard. Who the hell thought moving hands to the arrow keys was a good call??

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Genocyber posted:

Writing mods?

Right now the only things you can really do with modding is change the code or retexture stuff, Iron Rose does a bunch of the former.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Genocyber posted:

Can I have some goon opinions on the PS4 version of this? Mainly regarding how bad the framerate is, functionally, like if it does get in the way with fights often, or not.

I'm playing on an Xbox but they are about the same - it drops noticeably below 30 sometimes, but it never really gets in the way or makes the game unplayable. It's very visibly less smooth and pretty than on a PC, especially if you are alternating playing it with a gorgeous game like Battlefront like I am, but it's never even approached unplayable for me.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Started a new game as Mom Of The Year, and now dogmeat no longer grabs the cryo-gun for me in vault 111 :wtc:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Genocyber posted:

If you're smart about it (keeping your distance, don't run, don't have your pip-boy light on) firing a shot will usually just put enemies into caution. Sometimes they'll blind fire where they think you might be. If you get spotted, usually moving a bit is enough to throw them off. There are also perks meant to improve stealth.

I sneak pretty much everywhere and it's worked well for me. But then I never noticed problems like you mentioned in the previous games. :shrug:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Genocyber posted:

I'm having an OK time with it. I'm like three levels into the stealth perk, and I can hedge the perimeters of enemy bases picking people off with a sniper rifle without the whole base going aggro (although it takes a little finesse). There are three levels of enemy alertness: hidden, caution, and danger. Caution still lets you get sneak attack modifiers occasionally and will have enemies flail around without pinpointing you, and generally the first shot switches enemies over to caution. They don't usually go into danger unless... well, the stealth system is opaque, but I guess it's however they're calculating line of sight.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Ran into my first bug (ps4) my shots, outside of vats, don't do any damage Anybody else encounter this?

E: enemies can't harm me either

Sneaky Fast fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 16, 2015

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mailer posted:

Companions are portable loot vaults that frequently block your shots. Dogmeat is a useless poo poo who constantly blocks your movement.

Apart from a few instances, I haven't had any problems with him. He's an invulnerable meat shield who concentrates enemy fire away from me, and occasionally does a helpful take-down attack while still letting me have Lone Wanderer modifiers.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I also ran into my first real big bug - I went back to Vault 111 to grab the Cryolator, and on my way out I stopped on the ledge to look over at Sanctuary. Hey, I wondered, lets see if I can see my people walking around or if its just a generic shot of the town at this point.

So I pull out my long recon scoped laser musket and hit the scope button. The screen goes white, I get a load screen icon in the corner for 10 seconds or so, and then it plays the sound for when you fall from a great height, and I am standing just outside Sanctuary with 1 health. Amazing teleporting scope.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

To advance the BoS questline do I just keep doing the radiant quests, or is that getting me nothing but caps?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

kickascii posted:

Here I am underwater... man this game looks like complete garbage, would love to be able to play it.
Are you perhaps swimming in garbage?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inverness posted:

Are you perhaps swimming in garbage?

I've started calling it Fallout 4.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
All these repeating quests bother my inner :spergin: because I always try to keep my quest log small but these stick around forever. At least with the BoS guys I got their quests to go away by not talking to them again, but Preston always has me do another quest right after I turn one in. Gimme a break dude!

Also I didn't expect much from the castle but it still managed to disappoint me with how lovely looking it is.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

super macho dude posted:

Started a new game as Mom Of The Year, and now dogmeat no longer grabs the cryo-gun for me in vault 111 :wtc:

I'm fairly sure they patched it

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

JoshTheStampede posted:

I also ran into my first real big bug - I went back to Vault 111 to grab the Cryolator, and on my way out I stopped on the ledge to look over at Sanctuary. Hey, I wondered, lets see if I can see my people walking around or if its just a generic shot of the town at this point.

So I pull out my long recon scoped laser musket and hit the scope button. The screen goes white, I get a load screen icon in the corner for 10 seconds or so, and then it plays the sound for when you fall from a great height, and I am standing just outside Sanctuary with 1 health. Amazing teleporting scope.

i've been teleported a couple times while using iron sights/scopes. i thought it was the cover system at first but it happened to me twice while i was standing near nothing too. its a really weird bug.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

sector_corrector posted:

Apart from a few instances, I haven't had any problems with him. He's an invulnerable meat shield who concentrates enemy fire away from me, and occasionally does a helpful take-down attack while still letting me have Lone Wanderer modifiers.

He constantly gets in my way when I'm trying to walk through hallways, doorways or stairwells (so all the drat time), he rushes ahead to starts fights when I try to be stealthy and he "finds something" but leads me to...nothing at all.

He is a big help saving ammo on ghouls, since I just blow off their legs and he finishes them off.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
my modding goal is to replace the player character's dialog with voice clips of james earl jones from coming to america

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

willie_dee posted:

I'm fairly sure they patched it
Did the patches get pushed to Steam yet? I don't recall seeing any downloads for the game yet, but maybe I'm just blind.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Just ran into the Vault-tec rep at the hotel Rexford who became a ghoul. Talked nice to him and got him to go to Sanctuary. That was a very fun little easter egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Is the top-level store you can build enough better than the next one down that it's worth taking Cap Collector for? I care more about the actual contents of the weapons store than I do about the profit, but if the profit is huge or something that is nice too.

Like, can you buy cryo ammo there? Or similarly rare badass stuff?

• Locked thread