Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

AlphaKretin posted:

I know that engineers, carpenters etc. prefer tens of mm.

That's my pet peeve. Why the gently caress would you ever say 300mm (or even 30mm)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Born and raised citizen of the United States. I loving hate the imperial system. My job kinda reinforces this. I deal with fractions of an inch on a daily basis, so having to measure things in the .001 or even .0001 ranges isn't that big of a deal. However, we all know what these things are, right? A 0.1 would be spoken as "a tenth," 0.01 would be "a hundreth," 0.001 would be "a thousandth," and 0.0001 would be "a ten thousandth." That's all good and normal, right?

Except, verbally, when referring to things in the .0001 ranges, we've shortened it to "tenths." Because of course it's easier to say that than "ten thousandths." No, let's use a word that refers to a completely different decimal place. That irritates me all the drat time. If we used metric, everything would be in mm and I'd never have to hear that awful verbal shorthand ever again.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

AlphaKretin posted:

E: My bad, misinterpreted your point. As an aside though, what's supposed to be the big deal about the specific size of a foot? Is the main defense of imperial seriously that a particular measurement is a nice size? :psyduck:

It's just my personal opinion, but sure. It means fewer significant digits and/or simpler fractions for a lot of day to day measurements.

e: no arguments that the rest of the imperial system is a hilariously awful clusterfuck (I cook a lot and lololol gently caress imperial volume units), but it happens that there's a very common scale in a common measurement that slips right between powers of 10.

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 07:07 on Nov 15, 2015

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Some fascinating poo poo about measurements itt

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The metric system is for scientists. Imperial system is far superior for people who want to know what the weather is, height, weight, distance, etc. :colbert:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I loving hate it when I bite into a sunflower seed and it's all gross and tastes like sour rear end. Why is there always one loving seed that tastes like satan's sweaty taint? Is it a rule? Does every single loving bag of sunflower seeds have to have lucifer's fleshy fun bridge flavored seeds in it? Why?

I am loving mad about this.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't eat sunflower seeds but sometimes it happens with peanuts and it's amazing how much it can ruin your day.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
My nut peeve is when you get a pistachio that is completely shut/not split open. In general if I could find them pre-shelled at salted I'd buy that version every time.

Also related to sunflower seeds: I really like them, but I hate how you have to either spit out the shells and carry around a gross shell spit cup (or spit them on the ground like an animal), or eat them whole like I prefer and deal with the stomach pain etc that tends to happen if you eat too many.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Sociopastry posted:

I loving hate it when I bite into a sunflower seed and it's all gross and tastes like sour rear end. Why is there always one loving seed that tastes like satan's sweaty taint? Is it a rule? Does every single loving bag of sunflower seeds have to have lucifer's fleshy fun bridge flavored seeds in it? Why?

I am loving mad about this.

I eat an ungodly amount of sunflower seeds and it's the worst because sometimes it's masquerading as a normal seed. Nothing washes away the taste.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
I rarely go to the cinema (despite really loving films on the big screen) because of the thoughtless demifuckwits invariably in attendance. Mr Boods convinced me to go to a jewelbox of a cinema this afternoon as they're showing restored Laurel and Hardy shorts :buddy:. He's been looking forward to this for about a month, and I hadn't seen either film since I was a kid, and why the gently caress not...

:argh:

Stadium seating, and around us, maybe only 10 or 12 other patrons, mostly older, but a couple of grandparents with gradnchildren.

Then comes in a rather young woman with two tiny kids, an infant and a toddler. They park themselves down in the front. She lights up a giant phone about five minutes into the first short to start texting and surf the internet while one child screams and cries and the other races up and down the aisles, completely uninterested in either film, trying to get mum's attention.

:argh:

Mum clearly had no interest, toddler wasn't interested, infant wasn't interested. Several people got up and walked out during the second feature, and as we were leaving, everyone else was grumbling and tutting. :britain:

I'd like to see Spectre in the cinema...I guess it would be easier to ignore the idiots in a big, loud, splashy film, but during something sweet and gentle like L & H it was annoying as hell.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

People changing their Facebook avatars to show support for some cause. Half my friends list at the moment have either rainbow or French flags. What are you even trying to communicate with that one? Are you clarifying that you think terrorism is bad?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

People changing their Facebook avatars to show support for some cause. Half my friends list at the moment have either rainbow or French flags. What are you even trying to communicate with that one? Are you clarifying that you think terrorism is bad?

It's a harmless gesture of support you goony goon

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Probably already been done to death in this thread, but stalking parking spaces in parking lots that aren't actually full.

The time it would take you to keep driving and park another hundred or so feet away and walk to the store is less than the time it would take you to follow that lady down the aisle at 1mph and wait for her to put her groceries away and pull out. If your fat inbred diabetic rear end can't waddle from one end of the parking lot to the other, that's when you get a little windshield tag so you can use those open handicapped spots you passed.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Why must my nail polish chip within a day of me putting it on? It's not like I do very intense work with my fingers on a daily basis- the most I do is cook and clean. Doing the dishes shouldn't chip four of my finger's nail polish to poo poo. I just want pretty nails, damnit! :argh:

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

HOLY gently caress posted:

Wasn't there a pyf bachelor stuff thread or did I imagine that?

There was. It got closed with a Mod decree that "We need a new one!", presumably because the old database issues were still happening, and threads over 150 posts were strenuous to the forums. Nobody made a new one, because we were all too busy (lazy) working at liquor stores and cumming in vases and peeing through knotholes in our various bedroom floors, possibly onto dogs, possibly not.

Link to the last.

Is it you? Are you the Chosen Goon who is going to restart the Bachelor Thread?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

When I go to park somewhere and the only spot open is next to some rear end in a top hat who's parked aaaaallll the way to the side of their spot so I have to park way to one side of the spot next to them to be able to get out of my car and then the original rear end in a top hat leaves and it makes me look like the idiot who can't park.

And on a completely separate subject, people who kiss their kids on the mouth. It's weird and gross and creepy.

My stepdad wanted me, a 21 year old, to kiss him on the mouth. Gee, I wonder why everyone else thought that was creepy as gently caress but he insisted it was normal.

And I did not kiss him on the drat mouth.

Peeve: bad delivery attempts. Last week I had a super nice and very honest guy come to the house with my Amazon package because someone dropped it off at his house. Now I could write that off if I had hand written the label (but Amazon prints them) or I put Dr instead of St, but there are NO loving streets around here that are anything close to mine and no Drives and no way to gently caress it up unless you are being lazy and just decide to toss the box somewhere. So thank you, nice man, for bringing me my aquarium chemicals. Because the loving driver hosed up!

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 09:49 on Nov 16, 2015

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's a harmless gesture of support you goony goon

Who's it for, though. Only your other Facebook friends see it.

When I see it it just looks like

Henchman of Santa wants you to know he knows what happened in France & he's sad about it. He wants to remind you of this every time he posts

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

im full of poo poo posted:

Henchman of Santa wants you to know he knows what happened in France & he's sad about it. He wants to remind you of this every time he posts

Some people have Facebook friends in France ???

I dunno I didn't change it for this or gay marriage, mostly because it seems like an empty gesture to me, but it's fine that other people do it.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

To be fair, Tiggum is from Australia, where we still don't have a government who are even willing to consider voting in the general direction of gay marriage and yet because America legalised it everyone still changed their facebook profile pictures to rainbows as if everything was all good.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Cowslips Warren posted:

My stepdad wanted me, a 21 year old, to kiss him on the mouth. Gee, I wonder why everyone else thought that was creepy as gently caress but he insisted it was normal.

Peeve: bad delivery attempts. Last week I had a super nice and very honest guy come to the house with my Amazon package because someone dropped it off at his house. Now I could write that off if I had hand written the label (but Amazon prints them) or I put Dr instead of St, but there are NO loving streets around here that are anything close to mine and no Drives and no way to gently caress it up unless you are being lazy and just decide to toss the box somewhere. So thank you, nice man, for bringing me my aquarium chemicals. Because the loving driver hosed up!

1. :stare:

2. I was waiting on a package arriving via UPS the other day when I finally saw the big brown truck come hurtling down the alley out front of the house. Dude Paperboy'd the box out his open driver-side door right onto the porch without taking his foot off the accelerator. I would've been mad if I weren't so awestruck by what a badass delivery it was :toot:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

How would you know if the other person doesn't have any French friends or ties to the country and more importantly, why would you care? I just don't understand the thought process behind that being bothersome. My entire feed has consisted of slapfighting from people who are ostensibly on the same side of the issue over loving innocuous flag filters.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I HATE it when people stand over me when I'm doing something. I have a 16 year old cat with health problems, and she's also a little bit of an rear end in a top hat, so sometimes she shits on the floor. If I'm home, it's my responsibility to clean it up, which is totally fine. But my boyfriend will stand over me and watch while I'm doing it. I finally said if he's going to keep doing that he could clean it up. It seems like anytime I'm doing something, someone's got to watch me do it.

This weekend it was a student skydiver who had just passed his packing test, so he was all excited and couldn't leave me alone to do my own packing. Packing is still a problem with me; I can do it, but I hate it and I'm not good at it. I had also landed off site just half an hour before and was really frustrated. So because he had just passed his test he thought he could be "helpful" and offer me pointers, when I passed my own test a month ago. I know he was just excited about his jumps going well, but he couldn't read my body language well enough to know that I was trying to concentrate and needed some space. I finally had to ask him to stop standing over me, which worked for about five minutes.

Today it was the drat gardener. We have a large courtyard that is filled with cars, and when he parks there, there's only a very small amount of space to turn around in, and if you can't turn around, you're going to reverse through a 10-feet-wide, 100-yard-long driveway, which is a huge pain. The gardener left a rake and some sharp tools in the turnaround space, so I had to do about a 10-point turn to get oriented so I could go down the driveway. Instead of moving his tools off to the side, the guy stares at me with an open mouth while I try to get the car turned around.

I could understand if I was performing or making some kind of art. At least that's interesting. But if I'm washing dishes or driving or lifting weights at the gym, stop loving staring. It's creepy and annoying.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

How would you know if the other person doesn't have any French friends or ties to the country and more importantly, why would you care? I just don't understand the thought process behind that being bothersome. My entire feed has consisted of slapfighting from people who are ostensibly on the same side of the issue over loving innocuous flag filters.

Yeah I'm feeling this. I'm in the UK and my feed is full of smug, holier than thou assholes shouting 'what about the people who died in Lebanon last week? I don't see you crying over them!' And I guess they have a point but I dunno, France is right next door, my parents live there (6 months a year I should clarify), I go there all the time, I have friends there, we have a long and close history with France so I guess I feel it a bit closer to home when poo poo goes down there. Sorry that makes me a hypocritical piece of poo poo to angry Facebook people but ,y human feelings just feel that way.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Many people on my friends list have used it as a way to shoehorn humblebrags about how they went to Paris once like 5 years ago so clearly they're sadder than everyone else because they were actually there once guys! Here I am changing my profile picture to me standing in front of the Eiffel Tower as proof!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Or maybe they genuinely feel worse after seeing Paris in person and aren't actually trying to humblebrag? It seems like all of the people mad about filters are projecting motivations onto everyone else.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

there's definitely a sense of making a tragedy about them, both in cases with the flag overlay and posts like "I've been there once and here's how this makes ME feel," but for the most part it comes from a sincere place and there's nothing wrong with trying to show compassion in the wake of a tragedy even if it's not in a way you or I would do it.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know.... I lived in DC in 2001 and after 9/11, I'd get really annoyed when people from nowheresville carried on about how scared they were thinking about what worthless structure in their town terrorists might target next, like they just had to muscle in on other people's legitimate fear and trauma.

I have no problem with people not personally affected by a tragedy offering gestures of solidarity and support with those who are suffering. Just don't scrape up some flimsy excuse to insert yourself in the tragedy for the attention of your Facebook friends. It's gross.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
I liked the gay marriage one cause "I'm happy about gay marriage being legal!" seemed like something that was worth broadcasting to your friends in a simple and frivolous way. Especially if you had friends who weren't happy about it. Not sure why so many people feel the need to affirm they're sad a bunch of people were killed by ISIS, it seems like an uncontroversial issue.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
You'd think that, but some guy on my friends list made a big stink about how he refused to change his profile photo (as if anyone cared) because France didn't support America after 9/11, so he doesn't have sympathy for the French now.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

I liked the gay marriage one cause "I'm happy about gay marriage being legal!" seemed like something that was worth broadcasting to your friends in a simple and frivolous way. Especially if you had friends who weren't happy about it. Not sure why so many people feel the need to affirm they're sad a bunch of people were killed by ISIS, it seems like an uncontroversial issue.
Yeah, the town where I live is STILL running weekly op-eds in the newspaper about how gay marriage is against God's will, so seeing my out-of-state friends and family lighting up rainbow was kind of nice tbh :unsmith:

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Almost all my Facebook friends have the French flag overlay thing. My dad & stepmother live in Paris and everyone is posting all over with hundreds of French flags awkwardly asking me if my family is OK or dead. People are weird.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Personally I hate Paris, last time I was there I got chased by an angry dude who decided to draw me (I was waiting for my dad to come out of a meeting) even though I said no then he became incredibly hostile when I refused to pay. My pet peeve is tourist poo poo in Paris. Actually, tourist poo poo in any city.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I've been chasing the gremlins that keep causing my new desktop to wake itself from sleep at random times and I think I finally got the last one. No, windows media player update check, you aren't important enough to wake the computer whenever the gently caress you feel like.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

there's definitely a sense of making a tragedy about them, both in cases with the flag overlay and posts like "I've been there once and here's how this makes ME feel," but for the most part it comes from a sincere place and there's nothing wrong with trying to show compassion in the wake of a tragedy even if it's not in a way you or I would do it.

My birthday was Friday, and I got a couple of "I'm so sorry this happened on your birthday!" It was a little embarrassing, honestly, because why feel sorry for ME? I'm alive, I didn't lose anyone, and I had an otherwise great day. This would have been sad any day of the year, please don't make it about me because I happened to be born x years ago today.

Rabbit Hill posted:

I don't know.... I lived in DC in 2001 and after 9/11, I'd get really annoyed when people from nowheresville carried on about how scared they were thinking about what worthless structure in their town terrorists might target next, like they just had to muscle in on other people's legitimate fear and trauma.

I have no problem with people not personally affected by a tragedy offering gestures of solidarity and support with those who are suffering. Just don't scrape up some flimsy excuse to insert yourself in the tragedy for the attention of your Facebook friends. It's gross.

Ahh, my mom did this too. I lived right outside of DC at the time too, and she kept mentioning that they were "next" because there was some sort of chemical plant nearby. The chemical plant is probably the cause of your concerns mom (they poisoned the drinking water a couple of years ago), not a target for terrorist attacks. I doubt ISIS or Al Qaeda is interested in bumfuck WV.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Arrath posted:

I've been chasing the gremlins that keep causing my new desktop to wake itself from sleep at random times and I think I finally got the last one. No, windows media player update check, you aren't important enough to wake the computer whenever the gently caress you feel like.

If I ever meet the person who came up with "this application can wake the computer whenever it pleases and starts in the background by default every time you reboot the system," he and I are gonna take a long walk that will end with him at the bottom of a lake

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Plastik posted:

There was. It got closed with a Mod decree that "We need a new one!", presumably because the old database issues were still happening, and threads over 150 posts were strenuous to the forums. Nobody made a new one, because we were all too busy (lazy) working at liquor stores and cumming in vases and peeing through knotholes in our various bedroom floors, possibly onto dogs, possibly not.

Link to the last.

Is it you? Are you the Chosen Goon who is going to restart the Bachelor Thread?

No. But thank you for the link :)

Cowslips Warren posted:

Also what the gently caress?! You don't live in the same house, do you? :ohdear: My mom dated a guy who used to hit on me all the time which was loving creepy but at least I had left home by then.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

It seems like all of the people mad about filters are projecting motivations onto everyone else.

Actually I just find it irritating that I can't see at a glance who posted what.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Rabbit Hill posted:

On 9/11, I was living in Northwest Calgary (aka: Elderly Coldsville) and I remember my best friend at time pissing her pants because "WE COULD BE NEXT". Really? New York, the Pentagon, and then a junior high in Brentwood? Riiiiight.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

cash crab posted:

On 9/11, I was living in Northwest Calgary (aka: Elderly Coldsville) and I remember my best friend at time pissing her pants because "WE COULD BE NEXT". Really? New York, the Pentagon, and then a junior high in Brentwood? Riiiiight.

I was living in a small town a few hours from Vancouver at the time and half the people I knew had the same reaction. My whole homeroom class was freaking out thinking terrorists would bomb our school personally, because.

EDIT: vvv Our schools wisely decided to tell the entire student body about the anthrax letter and stress being careful about opening letters and if you ever saw white powder to call the cops.

My school, for whatever reason, didn't use white boards yet. We still had chalk. Which made white powder. The incidents pretty much write themselves.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 02:59 on Nov 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Ha, I should mention, I was living with my best friend in a high rise apartment on 9/11, and she was convinced our apartment building would be the next target, because it would send a message that no one is safe even in their homes. I asked her to explain why our apartment building and not the thousands of others, and she'd splutter some paranoid rambling....

Then, when the anthrax letters were sent to Congress, she wouldn't let our apartment maintenance people change the air filters in our unit, because she was convinced that would lead to us getting anthrax. And I would say, "Okay, so in the case that terrorists decide to target our random apartment building for their next anthrax attack, how does having clean air filters put us at more risk than having dirty ones?" And she'd just plead with me to just go with it, okay???

Fast-forward to 2003 and the DC Sniper is killing people all over the place, and my friend has moved to Indiana while I'm still in DC, I'm living my life as usual and she's sending me daily emails to check in with her to prove that I'm still alive, telling me to get my groceries delivered so I don't have to leave the house. (I guess the poor delivery guys are fair game?)

So, my pet peeve is people who let their psychological issues spill over into other people's lives. Speaking as someone who has had anxiety and depression for 25 years, my motto has always been, "Contain your poo poo." Be as paranoid as you want in your own life, but do your absolute best to keep it from impacting others.