Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Not to mention that that just a casual Youtube search yields a ton of Holm's Boxing and Kickboxing highlights. I don't see the point of dogging her MMA fights to stay under the radar when her whole history is pretty much on demand and searchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Sometimes I wish they'd figure out a way to integrate their reactions into the stream somewhere. Gimme a little Picture in Picture of screaming Joe Rogan or something.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Le Saboteur posted:

Sometimes I wish they'd figure out a way to integrate their reactions into the stream somewhere. Gimme a little Picture in Picture of screaming Joe Rogan or something.

like a Japanese game show?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I would probably pay $5 extra for a picture-in-picture of Chuck watching whatever PPV I'm watching

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

fatherdog posted:

I would probably pay $5 extra for a picture-in-picture of Chuck watching whatever PPV I'm watching

Does the camera cut away when he chugs cough syrup?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

fatherdog posted:

the jokes on you when Chuck gets bored after 3 fights and all you can see is the reflection in his full length ceiling mirror of him doing a rail and banging a blonde(s).

Actually idk maybe thats 5$ well spent.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Rousey needed plastic surgery for her split lip apparently, wonder if she will look any different now or if it will be unnoticeable.

mewse
May 2, 2006

She probably looks like Frankenstein's Monster now. Completely unfuckable

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

MysteryNad posted:

The best late shot was a late shot by Jon Jones, except instead of actually trying to take Rampage down he just crawled through his legs and stood up, making Rampage stumble like an idiot.

EDIT: lol i forgot he fell flat on his face, even better

Classic jon jones http://i.imgur.com/Zo94Yc6.webm

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

willie_dee posted:

Rousey needed plastic surgery for her split lip apparently, wonder if she will look any different now or if it will be unnoticeable.

Nothing that can't be covered up with acting lessons.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
It was legit cool when jones walked away from machida and everyone threw a fit.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

willie_dee posted:

Really? It didn't seem that bad. Particularly in comparison to Robbie Lawler's nasty as hell tear.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Maybe posted already but Holly Holm has apparently already agreed to a rematch. Nothing officially, but she said a champion like Ronda Rousey deserves one.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/holly-holm--a-champion-like-ronda-rousey--deserves-a-rematch-022909446-mma.html

quote:

“I think a rematch makes sense for sure,” she said. “I’ve been on the losing side of a fight and I wanted the rematch, I wanted to avenge my loss. With a champion like Ronda – who has gone out of her way, above and beyond, to do great things – absolutely she deserves a rematch.

Holly Holm can, for the rest of her life, say she best Ronda Rousey. No matter how a rematch turns out, she beat her that one time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khauvdb_f8A

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Good video but I would have liked some indepth analysis of how Holm picked Rousey apart on the feet

e: I edited a lot of poor writing out.

Holm has always been good at keeping distance, aka cowardice. Jack Slack pointed out that any limitations the ring gave her were freed up in the much bigger cage.
Even if you're running the whole time, if you keep some footwork discipline and you have experience boxing, you'll know exactly when you can stop and return fire on an incoming opponent.

Holm's cross is pretty solid formwise. So she keeps Rousey a step and a half outside of punching range, just luring Ronda to keep coming after her and to abandon any gameplan.
Then she fires into Ronda's poor defense, tagging her, and backing away quickly or circling to the right, outside of Ronda's jab.
This basically goads Ronda into stepping up the pressure. Without any wiles or planning for cutting Holm off, Ronda just wades or jogs forward, struggling to get inside that 1.5 step buffer Holm is maintaining and presenting her head for more counter opportunities.

That's the first phase:
- land the cross from range and keep encouraging Ronda to throw discipline out the window
- enter into wide punches (like the finishing cross or the elbow) or jam up attempts to close distance
- build punch combos off Ronda's lack of defense and refusal to neutralize Holm's reach advantage with kicks
Of course, hugely to Holly's credit, she also gets herself out of dangerous grappling situations to return to the striking domain.

At some point, Holm's success pushed Ronda into another level of urgency. Now she's throwing big punches and telegraphing the poo poo out of them.
All head shots, too, with elbows flared. But the biggest aid to Holm is still the telegraphing. Holm has seen enough punches to have the timing and spacing down cold.
When Ronda throws a big shot, Holm has plenty of time to duck and pivot out.
The duck and evasion in the second round is the culmination -- Ronda is trying to smash her hook onto Holm's guard, which would stun Holm and let Rousey get hands on her. But Ronda's become so predictable at this point. She's coming straight in from far out, starting the hook very wide and sweeping it high. The entire volume under that arm is free. Ronda's body is moving forward, bringing that escape hatch closer, and Holm knows there's no kick coming on that side -- Ronda's not a kicker and she's fully committed to trying to take her head off. So Holm ducks and pops forward off her back foot. Ronda tripping is from not having the momentum of her punch get stopped by landing on meat, throwing her upper body around and spinning off of a still planting front foot.

In a mirror stance situation, if your opponent is a headhunter, and you know a kick is not following a wild lead punch, there's no safer escape than ducking and shooting to the outside of that lead punch. It's incredibly effective -- I've done it myself countless times to guys much better than me when they became predictable about coming in with a single heavy shot.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 16, 2015

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
^^^ good post. I would add:

-I suspect that Holly hits harder than Ronda anticipated. Ronda is normally right to assume she can afford to wade in and eat a few shots if it means she can grab her opponent. Holly's shots stung right away.

-Most people really seem to be skipping over what I think is the most important aspect, that of Holly being able to defend the judo. Despite the gulf between them in striking, Ronda *was* able to grapple on multiple occasions, and wasn't able to do what she's used to. Technical striking and movement were not enough by themselves. Holly might be the strongest opponent Ronda has faced.

Really? It didn't seem that bad. Particularly in comparison to Robbie Lawler's nasty as hell tear.
Are there any current/recent pics of Robbie? Is he still fuckable??

Ditch fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 16, 2015

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Work Friend Keven posted:

I... I miss Jon Jones.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

Holm has always been good at keep distance aka cowardice.

Your post is pretty good overall but I don't know what you're going for here.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Work Friend Keven posted:

i honestly don't remember anyone giving a gently caress. i remember people laughing a lot at greg's instruction. it'd be really weird to get upset at that when almeida killed berchak last week, watched his body crumple way worse than lyoto's, and then celebrate with his tongue out.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

it's a joke

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Marching Powder posted:

i honestly don't remember anyone giving a gently caress. i remember people laughing a lot at greg's instruction. it'd be really weird to get upset at that when almeida killed berchak last week, watched his body crumple way worse than lyoto's, and then celebrate with his tongue out.

I may have been a little salty in the heat of the moment because Yay Machida, Boo Jones, but the ultimate issue for me was the insecurity of Jones "getting some fans" afterward. That was just goofy.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

willie_dee posted:

word on the street is that her sexual market value decreased significantly

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Count Roland posted:

I... I miss Jon Jones.

You're lucky he's hard at work then

:allears:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
She should probably get Chael's therapists' card and look into why she needs to hate everyone who fights her. That poo poo about Holm letting her mask slip at the weigh-in's should have been a red flag that she was fishing for poo poo to get mad about and isn't Diaz enough to actually believe it.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Intel&Sebastian posted:

She should probably get Chael's therapists' card and look into why she needs to hate everyone who fights her. That poo poo about Holm letting her mask slip at the weigh-in's should have been a red flag that she was fishing for poo poo to get mad about and isn't Diaz enough to actually believe it.

I'm not sure Chael's therapist ever existed

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Triticum Guzzler posted:

:staredog: No way that Chael lied.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Bluedeanie posted:

I may have been a little salty in the heat of the moment because Yay Machida, Boo Jones, but the ultimate issue for me was the insecurity of Jones "getting some fans" afterward. That was just goofy.

Jones wasn't publically a poo poo head then though unless him saying he was going to be a champ makes you cry or something

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Sorry, that should have said "good at keeping distance aka cowardice."
And yes, it was a mild joke.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Holm has always been good at keep distance aka cowardice. Jack Slack pointed out that any limitations the ring gave her were freed up in the much bigger cage.
Even if you're running the whole time, if you keep some footwork discipline and you have experience boxing, you'll know exactly when you can stop and return fire on an incoming opponent.

Holm's cross has always been pretty solid. So she keeps Rousey a step and a half outside of punching range, just luring Ronda to keep coming after her, abandoning any gameplan.
Then she fires into Ronda's poor defense, tagging her, then backing away quickly or circling to the right, outside of Ronda's jab.
This basically goads Ronda into stepping up the pressure, but without any wiles or planning for cutting Holm off, Ronda just wades or jogs forward, struggling to get inside that 1.5 step buffer Holm is maintaining.
That's the first phase:
- land the cross from range and keep encouraging Ronda to throw discipline out the window
- enter into wide punches (like the finishing cross or the elbow) or jam up attempts to close distance
- build punch combos off Ronda's lack of defense and refusal to neutralize Holm's reach advantage with kicks
Of course, hugely to Holly's credit, she also gets herself out of dangerous grappling situations to return to the striking domain.

At some point, Holm's success pushed Ronda into another level of urgency. Now she's throwing big punches and telegraphing the poo poo out of them.
All head shots, too, with elbows flared. But the biggest aid is still telegraphing. Holm has seen enough punches to have the timing and spacing down cold.
When Ronda throws a big shot, Holm has plenty of time to duck and pivot out.
The one in the second round is the culmination -- Ronda is trying to smash her hook onto Holm's guard, stunning Holm and letting Rousey get both hands on her. But Ronda's become so predictable at this point. She's coming straight in from far out, starting the hook very wide and very high. The entire volume under that arm is free. Ronda's body is moving forward, bringing that escape hole closer, and Holm knows there's no kick coming on that side -- Ronda's not a kicker and she's fully committed to trying to take her head off. So Holm ducks and pops forward off her back foot. Ronda tripping is from not having the momentum of her punch get stopped by landing on meat, throwing her upper body around and spinning off of a still planting front foot.

In a mirror stance situation, if your opponent is a headhunter and you know a kick is not following a wild lead punch, there's no safer escape than ducking and shooting to the outside of that lead punch. It's incredibly effective -- I've done it myself countless times to guys much better than me simply because they became predictable about coming in with a single heavy shot.

Good post. Also, after watching it and keeping Ronda's one interview in mind - I feel like Ronda and Edmund aexpected this match to go exactly the way it did, but assumed that A) Holly's punches couldn't hurt Ronda, and therefore B) over the course of five rounds eventually Ronda would get the throw and then kill her. And, welp.

After Condit/Diaz fans of Nick decided that moving in any way that isn't directly towards your opponent in a fight was cowardice although sometimes it's difficult to tell who's ironically referencing this and who unironically has decided to believe it.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Cole posted:

Maybe posted already but Holly Holm has apparently already agreed to a rematch. Nothing officially, but she said a champion like Ronda Rousey deserves one.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/holly-holm--a-champion-like-ronda-rousey--deserves-a-rematch-022909446-mma.html

Holly Holm can, for the rest of her life, say she best Ronda Rousey. No matter how a rematch turns out, she beat her that one time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khauvdb_f8A

Of course she wants a quick rematch. No one who saw that fight believes Rousey can beat Holm right now without a lot of work, probably with new coaches.

I don't think we'll really know what the plan is for at least a month or so. Dana, Lorenzo, and the UFC brain trust needs to get together and have a tough conversation about what they want to do. Rousey probably won't fight till UFC 200, thats a given but if they do the immediate rematch, they risk basically cashing in Rousey's status as a marketable headliner. Good Lord, imagine if she got pummeled twice in a row by Holly.

The smarter move may be to keep Holly active, have her fight again in March, and see what happens from there. If someone else is the champ, OK maybe they throw Rousey at her but if its still Holly, I'd have Holly fight Cat Zingano or something, you can sell that as a co-main, and work on building Rousey back up, at least one more win before the rematch, to give her most of a year to improve.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

fatherdog posted:

Good post. Also, after watching it and keeping Ronda's one interview in mind - I feel like Ronda and Edmund aexpected this match to go exactly the way it did, but assumed that A) Holly's punches couldn't hurt Ronda, and therefore B) over the course of five rounds eventually Ronda would get the throw and then kill her. And, welp.

Almost literally the homer Simpson plan.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I didn't see this posted - video from right after Ronda woke up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzbYPo1eqEw

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The only fighters I remember Ronda getting real nasty with before Holm are Tate and Bethe, in fact I think she was actually pretty friendly with Carmouche and Zingano, which makes her behavior with Holm seem weirder to me, as I'd think Holm would be one of the non-shitstirring friendly types for Ronda

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Yeah, I'm not sure where this "Ronda needs to be angry with her opponents!" thing comes from; she's been pretty professional with everyone except Correia and Tate before now.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Wild Horses posted:

You're lucky he's hard at work then

:allears:

God drat he looks like one of his NFL brothers or he got on some major gas. I suppose being in the NFL and being on the gas is about the same thing.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

referring to anything other than charging directly at your opponent is abject cowardice

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Trast posted:

God drat he looks like one of his NFL brothers or he got on some major gas. I suppose being in the NFL and being on the gas is about the same thing.

He also is not in camp and doesn't have to make 205.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

my favourite chael thing is that after promising his dying father that he would be champion he had to go through all those mental gymnastics to convince himself that he was the best and he definitely could make good on his promise. and then after talking massive amounts of trash and getting repeatedly destroyed he was like "oh i was just joking. about all of that. definitely playing games. definitely just an act. definitely did not let my father down (dead) down in a way that i can never make up for, and then tell everyone i had weird mangled balls. definitely just a joke" and he seems to believe it, and has escaped the terrible specter of self reflection unscathed

JuanGoat
Nov 6, 2009

savinhill posted:

The only fighters I remember Ronda getting real nasty with before Holm are Tate and Bethe, in fact I think she was actually pretty friendly with Carmouche and Zingano, which makes her behavior with Holm seem weirder to me, as I'd think Holm would be one of the non-shitstirring friendly types for Ronda

Yeah, I'd probably just chalk it up to weight cutting eccentricity. Supposedly, fighters get crazy and irritable when they're cutting, and Ronda looked a bit drained at the weigh-ins.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Trast posted:

he's been training with a powerlifting team for awhile now and he's only up to like 225.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifthace
May 3, 2003

No.

origami posted:

I didn't see this posted - video from right after Ronda woke up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzbYPo1eqEw

yeesh

• Locked thread