Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

All I'm saying is that I can take my hotdog greased fingers and smudge bukowski's words into an unintelligible mess but can only smear the screen of my phone yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Stravinsky posted:

I will be staying warm thanks to my copious collection of books I have haphazardly laying around my floor during the postapoclyptic end days while you guys can enjoy choking on the fumes of burning plastic and electronics

You are gonna break your glasses lol

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel have you read City on Fire yet? I just got it from Half Price Books for $14

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blue squares posted:

Mel have you read City on Fire yet? I just got it from Half Price Books for $14

I have it but it's on the backlog. I am gonna try to power through it and A Little Life during Christmas.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Would there be any interest in an Occult/Theosophy/Hermeticism thread if I were to make one?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Would there be any interest in an Occult/Theosophy/Hermeticism thread if I were to make one?

Yes

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I'll hopefully have time to write one up tonight.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

definitely

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Barnes and Noble is doing a thing where they sell signed books by famous authors. I read the list of authors, which was broken down by like, "best-selling mystery authors", "award-winning authors" etc, but there was no "paperback sci-fi trash authors" so I don't give a poo poo

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I started reading How The White Trash Zombie Got Her Groove Back.

It starts off with her still dating the terrible cop, it goes through a quick tour of all the other potential romantic interests, and then she breaks up with the cop. If she ends up with anybody other than Nick, I'm gonna be pissed. All the other guys are all bound up in the retarded zombie plot, which is the worst part of the series. I don't give a poo poo about evil corporations and zombies, and clone zombies or whatever. But Angel starting a romance with the coworker that she at first thought was a dick, but then slowly realized is also somewhat nice but is still a dick would be fun to read.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

boom boom boom posted:

Barnes and Noble is doing a thing where they sell signed books by famous authors. I read the list of authors, which was broken down by like, "best-selling mystery authors", "award-winning authors" etc, but there was no "paperback sci-fi trash authors" so I don't give a poo poo

I would totally buy a signed copy of Roadside Picnic

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Hi. Can somebody help me. Im looking for books similar to James B Stewarts DisneyWar or Lawrence Wrights Going Clear. Exposes basically.

I remember there being a similar book about Sony Pictures but i cant remember the name?

Any other suggestions?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheCool69 posted:

Hi. Can somebody help me. Im looking for books similar to James B Stewarts DisneyWar or Lawrence Wrights Going Clear. Exposes basically.

I remember there being a similar book about Sony Pictures but i cant remember the name?

Any other suggestions?

The Informant, Kurt Eichenwald, about the mid-1990s international conspiracy lead by the American company Archer Daniels Midland to fix the prices of lysine and citric acid.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

TheCool69 posted:

Any other suggestions?

Crash Course by Paul Ingrassia is an easy read. It's about the rise and fall of Detroit's big three.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

City on Fire, so far, is extremely good.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

City on Fire, so far, is extremely good.

Saving it for break but glad to hear it

Doing Tram 83 right now which is also p. good

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

boom boom boom posted:

do u like books about war

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

boom boom boom posted:

I started reading How The White Trash Zombie Got Her Groove Back.

It starts off with her still dating the terrible cop, it goes through a quick tour of all the other potential romantic interests, and then she breaks up with the cop. If she ends up with anybody other than Nick, I'm gonna be pissed. All the other guys are all bound up in the retarded zombie plot, which is the worst part of the series. I don't give a poo poo about evil corporations and zombies, and clone zombies or whatever. But Angel starting a romance with the coworker that she at first thought was a dick, but then slowly realized is also somewhat nice but is still a dick would be fun to read.

Those are all words, and I'm sure they probably form coherent thoughts, but this post reminded me of when my coworkers suddenly start talking about the latest Coronation Street episode.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Snapchat A Titty posted:

do u like books about war

Only if they take place in a specific millennium in which war is the only thing people have going on.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Did you ever find that book you were looking for where the main character and his numerous descendants had a strange colour of pee?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Enfys posted:

Did you ever find that book you were looking for where the main character and his numerous descendants had a strange colour of pee?

Unfortunately not. I didn't ask about it anywhere but here tho. Does anybody know a good place to talk about obscure feminist sci-fi?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
How do you guys decide what books to cull when you need to?

I have like 7-800 books now and it's getting loving ridiculous. Especially as I just moved in with my boyfriend who has at least half that himself.

I can get rid of crappy paperback novels and get the kindle edition, but my hoarder instinct kicks in for anything I bought in hardcover or spent more than $10 on in the last few years.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Hedrigall posted:

I have like 7-800 books now and it's getting loving ridiculous. Especially as I just moved in with my boyfriend who has at least half that himself.

I can get rid of crappy paperback novels and get the kindle edition, but my hoarder instinct kicks in for anything I bought in hardcover or spent more than $10 on in the last few years.

I did (and am still doing) this.

Keep anything that was hard to find, or makes you happy when you pick it up. If you still have too many books, up your happiness requirement.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Hedrigall posted:

I just went through this process, since I was moving overseas. First, I added all of my books into LibraryThing.com so that I can always remember what books I'd owned.

Something that made it easier was finding good homes for the books that I really liked (but didn't need to keep). I gave lots of books to family, and a few friends. Only when I knew that they'd appreciate it, and if I thought they'd enjoy it. I enjoyed doing this.

Another thing that helped me to detach was to remind myself that I could easily purchase a copy of the book again the future if and when I decide I want to read it again. It's hard to do this when you're attached to your books, but ultimately it's true with most. I kept some books that I know I couldn't repurchase, some old books that have sentimental value, and some things that are harder to get (for me, treasure hunting books). I was able to cull my collection from over 400 books to less than 50, that fit in the space of a small Uhaul box, and a shoebox.

I was able to sell some in the forums here, to recover a bit of money. But I ended up donating a bunch to the library.

Now that that whole painful process is over with, I'm very happy that I did it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Cool, that's quite a big reduction!

My initial goal is to choose 50 to get rid of by February — that's when my city's next big charity book fair is. Then after that, I'm gonna see if I can keep culling.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

My goal in culling was to move from several hundred physical books to a collection that was mostly e-books, largely because of storage issues, but also because the superior usability of the Kindle meant that I was reading fewer and fewer of my physical books.

The first thing I did was write down my "must keep" criteria before looking at any of my books, so that I wouldn't find myself expanding my must-keep criteria for certain books. What I finally decided on was this list.
  • Books in a long(4+) series that I know I will re-read, because I didn't want to have to re-buy the entire series later. Dresden Files, Pratchett, Brust, etc
  • Books that aren't available in ebook form.
  • Omnibus editions that I knew I would re-read that would require the purchase of 3+ regular ebooks to replace.
The second thing I did was write down a list of criteria for "must cull". I ended up with this list:
  • Damaged books. Water damaged and warped? Pages taped back in? Torn covers? Paperbacks with significant spine damage? These books are pains to read. They're pains to carry around with you. They don't even look good on a bookshelf. Cull.
  • Books that were too big in a physical sense. As an example of this, Neal Stephenson's Anathem. It's a great book but the hardback I had was something like 3.5 inches thick and it was a giant pain in the rear end to carry anywhere or read while lying down. This also included those ridiculously thick paperbacks. To use Stephenson as an example again, Cryptonomicon. Uncomfortable to ready, hilariously prone to spine damage and shedding pages. These books are irritating enough to read that I know I'd just end up buying the Kindle version anyways. gently caress 'em. Cull.
  • Books that were part of a series where I hadn't bothered to follow up on the series. Can't be that good if I'm not willing to read the next one. Cull.

Then I stripped all my bookshelves and emptied all my boxes and piled all my books on the floor. I went through the pile and anything that met the must-keep criteria went onto a shelf. Anything that met must-cull went into the cull pile. Anything that met both criteria went into the cull pile. None of my books were literally irreplaceable and the cull criteria were such that if a book met them I wasn't going to re-read that copy of the book anyways.

I had about 500ish books when I started. After this first cull phase I had maybe 30-40 on the shelf and maybe 100 in the cull pile. Then I went through the unsorted pile with the goal of culling the entire pile. After all, the goal was to reduce my huge collection to a manageable size, not to reduce an unmanageable collection to a slightly-smaller-yet-still-unmanageable one, and 400ish books are no more manageable than 500ish.
  • Anything I was iffy about, I priced on the Kindle. If the book was $10 or less I got rid of it, on the grounds that the Kindle copy was affordable if I REALLY wanted to re-read it. The same goes for books that you know you can find at the library.
  • I did not discriminate between hardbacks and paperbacks. Hardbacks are more expensive and they look nice, but honestly? I enjoy the kindle versions so much more than the paper versions that I'm never going to read the hardback version. They're more portable. They're sized so that I can read them with one hand and easily turn pages. Variable font sizes. Paperwhite lighting. I never get stuck in that position where I'm 90% of the way through a hardback so I find myself having to cart around TWO books around campus/work. In terms of usability the Kindle beats the the paper copy all hollow, and I found myself buying the kindle version of books that I already owned in hardback specifically because the hardbacks were so clunky and awful to deal with in comparison.
  • I ignored the cost completely. A book I'm not going to re-read is a book that I don't need to keep and that's true of both a $3 paperback and a $30 hardback.

In the end, I ended up with maybe 50-60 books on my bookshelf and a gigantic cull pile.

I kept out a few of the cull books which were both good books and in good shape, with the thought of selling/donating them. Stephenson's Anathema and Baroque Cycle. That kind of thing. Maybe 20 books. The vast majority of the books, however, went into the recycling dumpster that very day. After all, "I'll sell these books later or wait for the library to do a book sale and donate them, because books are precious and cannot be thrown out" bullshit was how I ended up with 500 loving books and zero storage space.

You don't get more than pennies on the dollar from selling used books and not all of those books would have sold. I decided that I was willing to sacrifice that potential income to get rid of the books immediately and certainly and without the risk of later deciding that maybe I'd keep them after all. I'm much happier with the state of things after the cull, it was totally worth it, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Oh, and those 20 books I saved to donate? That was almost 2 years ago and they're still sitting on my loving bookshelf.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Khizan posted:

[*]Anything I was iffy about, I priced on the Kindle. If the book was $10 or less I got rid of it, on the grounds that the Kindle copy was affordable if I REALLY wanted to re-read it. The same goes for books that you know you can find at the library.
You gotta be careful about using the low price of the Kindle edition as justification for getting rid of a hard copy. The prices can fluctuate a lot. This is less of an issue now that the price-fixing shenanigans have been dealt with, but I did something like this myself in the past and got stymied by later price increases. It's can be a helpful tactic for culling a collection if your main concern is solving a storage issue, BUT it's a risky way to plan future acquisitions.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Books don't come in series do they. Thats TV

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I got rid of most of my paperbacks and book club editions some years ago. I posted a bunch on here and sold a bit of it; the rest went to a local used book store - even with the relatively low trade-in values offered and making several visits a year to see if anything interesting has come in, I'm still sitting on like $300 of credit.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Khizan posted:

The vast majority of the books, however, went into the recycling dumpster that very day. After all, "I'll sell these books later or wait for the library to do a book sale and donate them, because books are precious and cannot be thrown out" bullshit was how I ended up with 500 loving books and zero storage space.

I was with you with all the book-culling, but this bit hurt me. Books are precious, if not to you then to somebody, somewhere.

Is having to wait for a sale before you donate the only option where you are? Here in Australia, nearly every city/town has a charity shop like Lifeline who take donations all year round. They sell anything they get in their stores, and consolidate stuff every few months for massive book fairs in capital cities.

I dunno, I just think books should go anywhere else before the recycling bin, unless they really are damaged beyond usability.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

I was with you with all the book-culling, but this bit hurt me. Books are precious, if not to you then to somebody, somewhere.

This attitude sounds romantic but is really just silly given the enormous number of absolute garbage books that are produced in massive quantities and are still floating around out there.

If you are talking about something like novels or history or philosophy or cookbooks, sure, those are all still useful to someone as long as the book is in good condition. The thousands and thousands and thousands of copies of obsolete business books, political screeds, y2k preparedness guides, ghost written celeb memoirs, stuff often purchased in bulk by colleagues of the author and given away for free at businesses conferences and political rallies or press events... there's nothing remotely "precious" about those, even if some of them might be mildly entertaining for a minute. Let alone something like a phonebook, which is still produced in massive numbers. A book in and of itself is not some sacred special object, it's just a carrier of information. I can understand why a specific book might have special meaning for someone of course but the medium in and of itself is no more "precious" than a candy wrapper.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Hedrigall posted:

Is having to wait for a sale before you donate the only option where you are? Here in Australia, nearly every city/town has a charity shop like Lifeline who take donations all year round. They sell anything they get in their stores, and consolidate stuff every few months for massive book fairs in capital cities.

I dunno, I just think books should go anywhere else before the recycling bin, unless they really are damaged beyond usability.

If you live in America, Goodwill is a good choice.

But if there's any mold on a book, just toss it now.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

Why are you waiting and hoping to cull 50 in three months, then? Going from 800 books to 750 books inside after three months is not going to improve conditions by any notable amount because 750 books is still an unmanageable collection. Fifty books is especially meaningless if you've moved in with your boyfriend and you're actually looking at a house-wide total of 1100-1200 books. Culling 50 by February is not going to make things any better. What's the goal after that going to be? 50 more by May? At that rate your collection might be manageable by 2019. Maybe longer depending on how many more books you get in that timespan.

Here's what I think you should do: You say that Lifeline is a charity shop that will take your book donations and sell them, and that I should have done something like that. So. Box up 200 books and donate them to Lifeline by the end of the week. 200 books is a sizable cull that will have an immediate impact on your storage conditions and make you realize just how much space those books are taking up. It's also large enough that culling 200 books within a week will force you to think of your books as things you are trying to get rid of and not precious babies you are adopting out to good homes.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

750 books is hardly unmanageable; I have nearly twice that number and have no problems with management.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

That depends entirely on how much space you have. If you want to cull because of space issues there's no real difference between 750 books and 800 books.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Hedrigall posted:

I dunno, I just think books should go anywhere else before the recycling bin

Like a nice crackling hearth fire that provides warmth and comfort

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

boom boom boom posted:

Unfortunately not. I didn't ask about it anywhere but here tho. Does anybody know a good place to talk about obscure feminist sci-fi?

i don't know but it would be nice to have a place to talk about sheri tepper's loving insanity

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I don't know if this is the place but I've been plowing through a lot of short fiction collections and wanted to vent: it seems like there's a lot of magical mystery women who lurk in the wilderness waiting to bang dudes until eventually he returns to the real world because reasons and is forever haunted by her half-forgotten memory? I feel like I should take up urbex or something so I can meet some fey broad who may or may not be a ghost

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Lost of Circes in folklore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

RentACop posted:

I don't know if this is the place but I've been plowing through a lot of short fiction collections and wanted to vent: it seems like there's a lot of magical mystery women who lurk in the wilderness waiting to bang dudes until eventually he returns to the real world because reasons and is forever haunted by her half-forgotten memory? I feel like I should take up urbex or something so I can meet some fey broad who may or may not be a ghost

A nymph trope, maybe?