Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Squizzle posted:

The Goblin That Eats Clean-Line Pencillers Once Per Decade can only wake up if people get into too many internet slapfights about meaningless bullshit, so we should all just agree that one or more people made a mistake somewhere in this Runaways conversation, then drop the subject, like civilized adults.

You already killed Mike Parobeck and Mike Wieringo, people. Don't kill again with this conversation.

That's a really weird thing to be afraid of but you know, I did hear Mike Allred was under the weather...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just given the cast there was no way for Runaways to be anything but a miniseries.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Is there anything I should read along with Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers stuff? I just hit the 8 month time skip and it seems like I missed a lot. I assume stuff like Thor losing his arm happened in his own book, but what about stuff like all the new Illuminati members?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

Is there anything I should read along with Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers stuff? I just hit the 8 month time skip and it seems like I missed a lot. I assume stuff like Thor losing his arm happened in his own book, but what about stuff like all the new Illuminati members?
Not really. Jumping forward that far allows Hickman to toss things like Cho's inclusion at you so you go "What the what, things are cray! Everyone has a beard now!" You're supposed to be a bit disoriented. But yes, the Thor-arm and Old Cap stuff occurred in their own titles. Avengers World had a few issues showing some events that occurred during that time (17-21), but they are hardly necessary (there's some stuff with Namor creeping on alternate Susans, and how exactly Roberto took control of AIM). Anything Hickman needs you to know, will occur in a Hickman book.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 16, 2015

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

redbackground posted:

Not really. Jumping forward that far allows Hickman to toss things like Cho's inclusion at you so you go "What the what, things are cray! Everyone has a beard now!" You're supposed to be a bit disoriented. But yes, the Thor-arm and Old Cap stuff occurred in their own titles. Avengers World had a few issues showing some events that occurred during that time (17-21), but they are hardly necessary (there's some stuff with Namor creeping on alternate Susans, and how exactly Roberto took control of AIM). Anything Hickman needs you to know, will occur in a Hickman book.

That's what I figured, thanks

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thor is really good so you should read it anyway. :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Thor is really good so you should read it anyway. :colbert:

This. And the Thors SW tie in mini is leading directly back into Aaron's Thor run. It also has the best last page stinger I've seen in a comic in a long time.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rhyno posted:

This. And the Thors SW tie in mini is leading directly back into Aaron's Thor run. It also has the best last page stinger I've seen in a comic in a long time.
Thors pissed me off because it was three issues of an awesome unconnected murder mystery with the Thors as beat cops using the setting to great effect and a fourth issue of "gently caress all that poo poo, Jane Thor showed up so now it's about rebelling against Doom". I WAS ENJOYING THE POLICE PROCEDURAL GODDAMMIT HOW ABOUT YOU GIVE RUNE THOR A MOTIVE AND EXPLAIN HOW LOKI KNEW WHAT THE gently caress AND ALSO MAYBE UNWORTHY THOR GETS HIS HAMMER BACK OR SOME SORT OF CLOSURE WHAT THE gently caress

Ultimate End had the same problem (among its many other problems too), a story ticking along and then Miles shows up, so gently caress all that stuff we were just telling you about, right?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Same with Weirdworld. It's leading to a big battle and then everything explodes with no warning on the last page.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

Thors pissed me off because it was three issues of an awesome unconnected murder mystery with the Thors as beat cops using the setting to great effect and a fourth issue of "gently caress all that poo poo, Jane Thor showed up so now it's about rebelling against Doom". I WAS ENJOYING THE POLICE PROCEDURAL GODDAMMIT HOW ABOUT YOU GIVE RUNE THOR A MOTIVE AND EXPLAIN HOW LOKI KNEW WHAT THE gently caress AND ALSO MAYBE UNWORTHY THOR GETS HIS HAMMER BACK OR SOME SORT OF CLOSURE WHAT THE gently caress

Ultimate End had the same problem (among its many other problems too), a story ticking along and then Miles shows up, so gently caress all that stuff we were just telling you about, right?

Rune Thor did have a motive, he explained it. When he looked into (a) Jane's eyes, he realized that Battleworld wasn't real, but he liked the way things were, so he realized he had to cover it up and prevent any other Thors from realizing the world's true nature by killing all Jane Fosters. Now as for Loki... yeah that was kind of a bad unexplained plot point. Maybe he could see the world was fake just by nature of being Loki?

And this is all not to disagree with you. I too, dislike how a lot of the SW tie-ins seem to end on "WELP, THAT'S ALL FOLKS, SEE YOU IN THE MAIN BOOK AND/OR OUR NEW SPINOFF!" The real ones that suffer seem to be the ones where the raft survivors appear, which at first I thought would be a super-neat touch to this whole event, but now more and more it seems like every tie-in that features a Life Raft survivor is destined to end disappointingly, I suppose since nothing of consequence can happen to those characters outside of the main book.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 17, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Loki is the god of lies. I assume you can't lie to him for long.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

Loki is the god of lies. I assume you can't lie to him for long.

He's now the god of stories.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Rune Thor did have a motive, he explained it. When he looked into (a) Jane's eyes, he realized that Battleworld wasn't real, but he liked the way things were, so he realized he had to cover it up and prevent any other Thors from realizing the world's true nature by killing all Jane Fosters. Now as for Loki... yeah that was kind of a bad unexplained plot point. Maybe he could see the world was fake just by nature of being Loki?

And this is all not to disagree with you. I too, dislike how a lot of the SW tie-ins seem to end on "WELP, THAT'S ALL FOLKS, SEE YOU IN THE MAIN BOOK AND/OR OUR NEW SPINOFF!" The real ones that suffer seem to be the ones where the raft survivors appear, which at first I thought would be a super-neat touch to this whole event, but now more and more it seems like every tie-in that features a Life Raft survivor is destined to end disappointingly, I suppose since nothing of consequence can happen to those characters outside of the main book.

Counterpoint: Siege was awesome all the way through and it not only had Thanos appear, it had whole chunks of the final issue repeat in the main book. And A-Force and Spider-Verse both did decent jobs telling a full story and still set up some stuff for the ongoing series they're launching.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Quite a few books ended pretty decently. Then theres ones I dont care about, one or two stinkers. Dont think I've been disappointed yet, but yeah, Thors was a 180 in the direction for the last issue.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

He's now the god of stories.

That's just because he realized every lie is a story. It's an upgrade, it's not like he lost out on lies.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Aphrodite posted:

That's just because he realized every lie is a story. It's an upgrade, it's not like he lost out on lies.
"God of lies" is pejorative and he will turn evil and shank you if you keep using it though.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Lightning Lord posted:

Sandman can't be the reformed drinking buddy of the Thing because Lee and Ditko had him as a villain, so he has to have been faking it all along in a way that would make Vince McMahon blush.

*sigh* I wish that was the excuse he'd used...

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Here's a thing that's bothered me for a while: What degree of significance should we give to Quentin Quire (etymologically) and Five-in-One meaning close to the same thing? And if the etymology doesn't seem meaningful, the kid's name is pronounced quint in choir, which, you know: a set of quintuplets, speaking as one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, there's only three now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

Well, there's only three now.

And he's responsible for one of those deaths, at least indirectly.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So I'm getting into Luke Cage through the new Jessica Jones show and I have 2 questions:

1. I know with unbreakable skin he's basically invulnerable, aside from that I guess his weaknesses are needing to eat/drink/breath? Any other major ones like a kryptonite or something?

2. Who is his archenemy/who would be the main villain of his series probably?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OldTennisCourt posted:

So I'm getting into Luke Cage through the new Jessica Jones show and I have 2 questions:

1. I know with unbreakable skin he's basically invulnerable, aside from that I guess his weaknesses are needing to eat/drink/breath? Any other major ones like a kryptonite or something?

2. Who is his archenemy/who would be the main villain of his series probably?

1. His biggest weakness is also his unbreakable skin. He was severely inured shortly before he joined the New Avengers and because of his invulnerability they had difficulty treating him.

2. Jive Turkies.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

2. Jive Turkies.

Deadbeat Doctor Doom.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Phylodox posted:

Deadbeat Doctor Doom.

Where is his money, honey?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is his skin literally unbreakable or is he invulnerable like Superman is invulnerable (I.e. If he gets hit hard enough)?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aphrodite posted:

Is his skin literally unbreakable or is he invulnerable like Superman is invulnerable (I.e. If he gets hit hard enough)?

It's unverified just how unbreakable it is, but as far as I know (except maybe in Marvel zombies but gently caress that stupid poo poo) it's never been broken. Even when Robert Kirkman had these super high tech superhero killers from the future show up and murder every Avenger, they had to use a special beam to melt his insides.

It's not as useful as it sounds because he can still take internal damage when tossed around, since it's still just skin. It's mostly just good for stopping bullets and knives.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

It's unverified just how unbreakable it is, but as far as I know (except maybe in Marvel zombies but gently caress that stupid poo poo) it's never been broken. Even when Robert Kirkman had these super high tech superhero killers from the future show up and murder every Avenger, they had to use a special beam to melt his insides.

It's not as useful as it sounds because he can still take internal damage when tossed around, since it's still just skin. It's mostly just good for stopping bullets and knives.

Bendis really amped him up in New Avengers, he's stronger than Spider-man and very resistant to injury beyond unbreakable skin.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Bendis really amped him up in New Avengers, he's stronger than Spider-man and very resistant to injury beyond unbreakable skin.

He's not stronger than Spider-Man. I mean, given the elasticity of super strength in comics it's hard to say definitely, but I doubt there's ever been something that shows him being stronger than Spider-Man in a direct comparison.

Bendis did write him as durable well beyond his skin, since he fell off a building during a huge brawl and then just got in an elevator to get back to it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

He's not stronger than Spider-Man. I mean, given the elasticity of super strength in comics it's hard to say definitely, but I doubt there's ever been something that shows him being stronger than Spider-Man in a direct comparison.

Bendis did write him as durable well beyond his skin, since he fell off a building during a huge brawl and then just got in an elevator to get back to it.

Well I can't find it but I recall reading a Bendis interview about bringing Cage to the team where he said Luke was stronger than Peter.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Squizzle posted:

Here's a thing that's bothered me for a while: What degree of significance should we give to Quentin Quire (etymologically) and Five-in-One meaning close to the same thing? And if the etymology doesn't seem meaningful, the kid's name is pronounced quint in choir, which, you know: a set of quintuplets, speaking as one.

It's only significance is probably just that it's drat clever. The alliteration gets some Stan Lee points too.

Where is Quentin in All New All Different Marvel?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Luke's skin has been broken in What If a couple times. Once by Spider-Man's Other claws and once by Wolverine.

One of his more badass moments was in House of M: Avengers where he advanced on Taskmaster. Taskmaster had a bunch of trick arrows and shot them one after the other. Explosives, acid, etc. Not one of them slowed down Luke. Then he caught up with him and said "The skin as strong as steel line is just a saying" before beating him into a coma.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Has Superman's cellophane S power from Superman 2 ever been referenced or used in the comics, jokingly or not?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Skwirl posted:

Some quick Googling tells me that the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Vol 2 #10 listed Cage's strength as enough to lift/press approx. 25 tons, whereas Spider-Man's upper limit is typically expressed at around 10 tons.

....I should get out more.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ror posted:

Has Superman's cellophane S power from Superman 2 ever been referenced or used in the comics, jokingly or not?

No idea, but I always assumed it was taken from some silver age comic where he turned Jimmy Olsen into a gorilla or whatever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Some quick Googling tells me that the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Vol 2 #10 listed Cage's strength as enough to lift/press approx. 25 tons, whereas Spider-Man's upper limit is typically expressed at around 10 tons.

Spider-man's a bad baseline, his power has fluctuated a lot over the years, mostly downward. He used to be listed as stronger than or as strong as She-Hulk. There's no loving way that still applies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe is bullshit, so many things in that are directly contradicted in comics that come both before and after it.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I thought it was around 40 tons according to the old TSR role playing game.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

hadji murad posted:

I thought it was around 40 tons according to the old TSR role playing game.

The sad thing is, I can actually check that; both Spider-Man and Power Man (which is what he was going by at the time this game came out) are listed at a Strength of INCREDIBLE (40), which isn't tied to a specific lifting ability but is more of an abstraction. Each does the same amount of damage with a punch, at least.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Aphrodite posted:

He alive, dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Are his eyes normal, though? Or does he have Superman-esque invulnerable eyes too (a la that scene in Superman Returns)?