Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im literally loving FURIOUS about star citizen right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

Do NOT make fun of the Chief Justice of Imp Zone.

hello pal!!!!!!!!! long time

congrats on you bein ga mod, is that new?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Eonwe posted:

hello pal!!!!!!!!! long time

congrats on you bein ga mod, is that new?
Yes. I am a mod of Games now.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chalks posted:

It's all janky as gently caress, but when you say "go fly out in space" - their loving universe is like 100 stars in size. There's not a whole lot of space to go fly in. Seems like flying between stars is a fancy looking loading screen as your ship jumps between dogfighting instances.

I've seen some FPS footage. it looks pretty bland but not as bad as some shooters due to the high quality of the models everywhere. If only they could get everything to stop glitching the gently caress out when ever anything happens it would be a mid quality shooter I guess.

In terms of persistence, you have missions and they seem to keep track of themselves despite crashes so that seems like some persistence. I'm not sure if character levelling is a thing or if you just get money as rewards or what, but I imagine that persists too. I honestly don't think the persistence side of things will be anything more than that. Buy some ships and items and I assume they'll persist too.

It's really nothing ground breaking, but it can certainly be described as functional at this point I think.

I'm interested in knowing how long before enough of the shine has worn off that people who have invested $35,000 to play Elite Dangerous and a 2nd rate CoD might start to doubt their decision though.

good post, like actually good

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

dude thats awesome, congrats

you will be a good mod

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

D_Smart posted:

No. That's actually up for debate now actually.

I mean, sure, people still debate whether the moon landing actually happened.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Octopode posted:

I mean, sure, people still debate whether the moon landing actually happened.

shut up octopode

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Eonwe posted:

im literally loving FURIOUS about star citizen right now

yes, let that anger flow through you, cultist

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The PU is a failure until they implement space jail.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheShazbot posted:

yes, let that anger flow through you, cultist

I'm triggered as all hell

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fish Fry Andy posted:

The PU is a failure until they implement space jail.

Also space court

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Eonwe posted:

:gary: trigger this :yarg:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Eonwe posted:

I'm Traegered as all hell. I am literally shaking right now. I must be vitamin deficient.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_qAtqm4XUI

guys help me i'm questioning everything right now.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Please calm down Eonwe :(

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Eonwe posted:

Also space court

My dream is to take Stew360 to space jail and put him in space court.

In fact the team that one TNGS designed their ship specifically for this purpose.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Chalks posted:

I'm interested in knowing how long before enough of the shine has worn off that people who have invested $35,000 to play Elite Dangerous and a 2nd rate CoD might start to doubt their decision though.

This Christmas a lot of nerds are going to be rocking themselves back and forth whispering "it's alpha" over and over

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

What horrible skeletons are in your closet? Is it a Completionist Package?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm Traegered as all hell. I am literally shaking right now. I must be vitamin deficient.

Stay safe

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

what type of wood are you using, this is important

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Berious posted:

What horrible skeletons are in your closet? Is it a Completionist Package?
I am bad at fighting Metal Gear Rex.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Daztek posted:

Please calm down Eonwe :(

I haven't gotten mad at internet stuff in probs a couple years now, friend

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

shut up octopode

On this occasion it appears he's correct about the features actually present in the PTU version of the game.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Chalks posted:

This seemingly innocuous sentence could be the most important thing to remember about this whole business.

Even if the stars align and the game gets finished in a polished, stable, and more or less complete state - it literally cannot live up to these absurdly inflated expectations, and it is impossible to balance in any case.

Even if things go badly for CIG, they can theoretically drag this out for a very long time -- they have a huge platform for monetization, and they can also strategically downsize over time to make the ride as long as possible, but faith is the gas in the tank. One of the few things that could truly capsize them would be a massive rupture in the following - which could be caused by patience running out, or the realization that the game isn't going to deliver the magic they all signed up for. One way or another, that day is coming, and 2.0 might actually speed it up.

We know the game can't deliver a four or five digit experience; I'm sure CIG knows that as well. When the citizens know it, that's when things get interesting.

That's what makes this impressive 2.0 release so deceptively dangerous for CIG. Now citizens are exposed to something that's only existed in their heads up to this point, and after the initial starry eyed wonder, the reality inevitably falls short of the fantasy. Star Citizen might have been more viable as a delusion. For a while the faithful can comfort themselves that the real version 5 years from now will offer them more - but Mr. Smart's efforts have already planted the seeds of doubt.

Over the next few weeks they're going to be having a serious expectations/reality meme type of experience.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

On this occasion it appears he's correct about the features actually present in the PTU version of the game.

Hmm no what

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
We see X. Also, Dr. Smart asserts that if they used the 32/32 hack, we would see X.

Could the hack cause any other issues which we have not (yet) seen? A model is much more compelling if it has predictive power. Ie, "In addition to the jankiness at large distances away from points of interest, we should also observe Y behaviour under Q circumstances."

Eonwe posted:

shut up octopode

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Berious posted:

This Christmas a lot of nerds are going to be rocking themselves back and forth whispering "it's alpha" over and over

Yeah. Poor bastards.

I think what we can see now is the bare bones of what the game will ultimately be. You put a progression system on this thing with a bunch of missions and some basic economy NPCs and you've got yourself a persistent universe. You stick a story line and a bunch of cutscenes in and you're basically there with the single player campaign.

It'll be a while to get all of that rigged up and all the additional assets actually made, but it's actually taking form now dare I say it.

I can't help but think how much like Elite dangerous it is though, and how much the FPS aspects aren't going to be as good as the best that genre has to offer. I guess some people played E:D and thought "I sure wish the universe was much much smaller and also we could run around with guns" and boy is this the game for them.

Interesting to see what ship boarding will be like but the ships are so cramped I imagine it will last all of 4 seconds with the guy who shot first being the victor.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

Hmm no what

Yeah I know, it's very odd. While at the exact same time you're telling him to shut up.

Now it's a stupid thread but we're always been more pedantically accurate than anywhere else, so if policy has changed I've missed a meeting somewhere.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

Yeah I know, it's very odd. While at the exact same time you're telling him to shut up.

Now it's a stupid thread but we're always been more pedantically accurate than anywhere else, so if policy has changed I've missed a meeting somewhere.

What

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I'm a little out of the loop but I just booted up steam to play Space Engineers so it's good to know that PC gaming has and continues to be saved by Star Citizen.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

you could have dropped the h i'd still have understood

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

G0RF posted:

Yeah, I thought that at first, too- and it could be that, but the way she says it, "No, seriously- I am actually a science teacher. A high school science teacher. I didn't do a very good job at it." comes across like she's letting them know something about her that they didn't know. It could be read either way, though. The important thing is that I learned something new in watching it- that she is capable, occasionally, of self-critique. So that's something.

So in addition to her other three degrees in marketing and business, she has either another one in science and a diploma of education or another degree in education (specializing in teaching science)? Because no Australian high school would have taken her on as a science teacher with only marketing/business qualifications. Then you also if you get a job as a young fresh graduate teacher (you do this via registering as a teacher and get a placement/position from that states Department of Education) they are usually in a regional/rural high school and these tend to be pretty isolated backwater communities, several hours drive from anywhere with a population of more than a few thousand. I really cannot see Sandi spending any period of time in a place that wouldn't let her chase the dream of being an actor.

Also, pretty telling in terms of Sandi's acting career, is the fact that she did no credited work in Australian productions. The way most Australian actors make it big internationally is usually by working in local TV, film or stage productions and getting noticed and put on to something big (i.e Hugh Jackman, who really did well with getting the role of Wolverine), but she didn't do any of that. She stupidly thought if she just rocked up in Hollywood, then someone would give her a big role.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Eonwe posted:

shut up octopode

shut up eonwe.

(I love low effort posts but this is extremely loving stupid)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

this is extremely loving stupid
Did you see the title of the thread?

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

DreadLlama posted:

We see X. Also, Dr. Smart asserts that if they used the 32/32 hack, we would see X.

Could the hack cause any other issues which we have not (yet) seen? A model is much more compelling if it has predictive power. Ie, "In addition to the jankiness at large distances away from points of interest, we should also observe Y behaviour under Q circumstances."

Of course, in the new build, the things Smart claimed were caused by the hack are no longer present. A more plausible explanation than a giant lie was a bug with the local physics grid code, which would have also caused many of the other bugs that were observed, i.e., the launching of multi crew players out of the ship and the objects spontaneously tipping over. It could easily cause the same jittering of objects Smart blamed on spatial imprecision.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gwaihir posted:

shut up eonwe.

(I love low effort posts but this is extremely loving stupid)

I don't post for you and don't care what posts you like

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

Did you see the title of the thread?

Lol

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Free eonwe

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

With any Eonwe of equal or greater value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

With any Eonwe of equal or greater value.

There isn't one that exists.

• Locked thread