Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Yep that was amazing.

I liked this way better than Daredevil.

Yeah if anything the strong lead and also compelling villain make it better than Daredevil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I like it more than Daredevil but I can completely understand why someone would feel the opposite. They're pretty different shows.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Sharmat posted:

I like it more than Daredevil but I can completely understand why someone would feel the opposite. They're pretty different shows.

One has karate action scenes, the other has untrained bar-fight flailing action scenes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

HIJK posted:

So basically all the people who said "watch the show before freaking out over the portrayals of trauma and aftermath" were proven correct and the handwringing amd teeth gnashing was all for nought? Imagine that.
Or the people who expressed calm concern had entirely founded fears based on a lifetime of media consumption almost never getting it right, and were shouted down for worrying aloud, and got to enjoy a good thing that probably didn't hurt them like they feared it might, only for you to dismiss and belittle their feelings again because a show wasn't terrible about mental health and abuse for once.

In any case, I was really hoping that (Complete season spoilers) Daredevil would show up, because I'm a sucker for split-universe stuff. But mentioning him, then having Jessica dismiss the idea of needing to meet him immediately really fit the show's narratives quite well. I left very pleased with not getting what I wanted. It would've been a huge cop-out for Matt Murdock or Daredevil to show up and fix a problem out of nowhere, and even though it would've been fun, the show reminded me why my idea was terrible.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

LividLiquid posted:

Or the people who expressed calm concern had entirely founded fears based on a lifetime of media consumption almost never getting it right, and were shouted down for worrying aloud, and got to enjoy a good thing that probably didn't hurt them like they feared it might, only for you to dismiss and belittle their feelings again because a show wasn't terrible about mental health and abuse for once.

In any case, I was really hoping that (Complete season spoilers) Daredevil would show up, because I'm a sucker for split-universe stuff. But mentioning him, then having Jessica dismiss the idea of needing to meet him immediately really fit the show's narratives quite well. I left very pleased with not getting what I wanted. It would've been a huge cop-out for Matt Murdock or Daredevil to show up and fix a problem out of nowhere, and even though it would've been fun, the show reminded me why my idea was terrible.

It would have ruined the entire show.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

1x04

Jess dealing with anti-super racism was interesting, I wonder if it'll crop up more throughout the various Netflix series

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Carlosologist posted:

1x04

Jess dealing with anti-super racism was interesting, I wonder if it'll crop up more throughout the various Netflix series

I got why they did it and it was cool, but Jesus, what a lovely scene/scenario it happened through. Terrible acting.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Drifter posted:

One has karate action scenes, the other has untrained bar-fight flailing action scenes.

Their tone and dominant themes are pretty different except for both being "Grittier than the MCU".

LividLiquid posted:

Or sometimes people don't agree and that's ok and you're really sensitive.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Jesus I forgot how dumb the fetish talk was before the show released could you guys not bring it back now that it's actually out?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hollismason posted:

It would have ruined the entire show.

It could be interesting if Nelson & Murdock pick up a case off the end of the show. Punisher going after a Killgrave victim might muck up the narrative though.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

LividLiquid posted:

I think if a television show or an internet forum has that much power over someone then they have bigger problems then media portrayals on tv. Depending on what area you live in I can recommend a good therapist, I've had a few over the years.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh hey was anyone else a little bit disappointed that 1x13 Kilgrave's super powerup injection didn't actually turn him purple? When he was injected with it he got a bunch of purple veiny things on his neck before it cut away and I got all excited that he was going to be an actual purple man for the final confrontation.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh hey was anyone else a little bit disappointed that 1x13 Kilgrave's super powerup injection didn't actually turn him purple? When he was injected with it he got a bunch of purple veiny things on his neck before it cut away and I got all excited that he was going to be an actual purple man for the final confrontation.

When he screams at everyone to stop he does get the purples veins popping out again.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Sharmat posted:

Or sometimes people don't agree and that's ok and you're really sensitive.
Yes, the person who admitted he liked a thing and was happy it was done well is sensitive. Not the guy who started throwing poo poo.

Are any of you listening? I said it was good. Put down the pitchforks.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Hollismason posted:

Kilgrave is incredibly terrifying.

When someone explained the Purple Man's powers and how he used them to me, it struck me as one of the single gnarliest ideas for a villain I've ever heard. He's like something out of a particularly upsetting horror short story, the kind that stays with you because of all the awful implications.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Mandor posted:

Best quote of the entire show :

Kilgrave: I once told a man to go screw himself, can you imagine?
It was funny, but it would've been a lot funnier if I hadn't heard it in Preacher first.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

LividLiquid posted:

Yes, the person who admitted he liked a thing and was happy it was done well is sensitive. Not the guy who started throwing poo poo.

Are any of you listening? I said it was good. Put down the pitchforks.

No one has pitchforks.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

AtraMorS posted:

It was funny, but it would've been a lot funnier if I hadn't heard it in Preacher first.

Based on the trailer I doubt Preacher will have any of the Word in it at all.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Kilgrave having purple skin would have sucked.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Hollismason posted:

Kilgrave having purple skin would have sucked.

Yeah, the veins were a good compromise, especially after the medical treatment his father gave.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Jessica " I'm looking for a man"

Person " What's he look like "

Jessica "He has purple skin"

Person " Oh right year, I know exactly who you are talking about I saw him the other day"

END OF EPISODE 1/SEASON

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Jessica " I'm looking for a man"

Person " What's he look like "

Jessica "He has purple skin"

Person " Oh right year, I know exactly who you are talking about I saw him the other day"

END OF EPISODE 1/SEASON

Yes that would have been dumb, I don't disagree

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Aren't most stories involving Purple Man having something act out of the ordinary, only to later discover that he was behind it?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Wow, I went into the first episode of this not knowing anything about Jessica Jones. Was not expecting it to get so implicitly rapey so fast. :stonk:

Kristen Rytter is pretty baller when given an actual dramatic (as opposed to comedic) role though. :3:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Eh he wasn't really used that often at all. Originally he was a Daredevil villian. Bendis brought him back in Alias then he started making more appearances.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 22, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hollismason posted:

Eh he wasn't really used that often at all. Originally he was a Daredevil villian. Bendis brought him back in Alias then he started making more appearances.

The first time I encountered him in the 1602 where he was responsible for sending Captain America back in time because for some reason he couldn't kill him like he killed the other heroes after he became Super President Purple.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I got this show's trailer confused with Daredevil S2 and kept expecting the Punisher to show up...

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

twistedmentat posted:

Based on the trailer I doubt Preacher will have any of the Word in it at all.

Wait seriously? Isn't that an enormous part of the story?

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

1x06

I've never gotten so excited to see a street sign in my entire life.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
I'm kinda burnt out on binge watching after episode 10. I like the performances and tone of the show, but the plot has become this overbearing, jumbled mess.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

OldTennisCourt posted:

Wait seriously? Isn't that an enormous part of the story?

The trailer they have is basically brit with southern accent dressed as a preacher being bad and beating people up. The only vaguely supernatural thing is Cassidy leaping out of a plane and a brief shot of him letting the sun set him on fire. Maybe they didn't want to reveal it, but it seems like not even touching on it is like making a trailer of lord of the rings that doesn't mention the ring at all.

This is pretty fantastic.
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-11-21/these-doctor-who-fans-cant-cope-with-evil-david-tennant-in-jessica-jones
Booh hoo your favorite actor crush has different roles!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Shorthand season review: Not Daredevil good, but pretty damned entertaining television. The leads own the material and it's good to see Marvel continuing to stretch the boundaries of their tv/movie brand.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

On episode 8, Jesus loving Christ I can't stand how dumb Jessica is.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Shorthand season review: Not Daredevil good, but pretty damned entertaining television. The leads own the material and it's good to see Marvel continuing to stretch the boundaries of their tv/movie brand.
I thought the ending was a bit weak, but it was very tense right up until the last few episodes.

I liked it. Thumbs up.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 22, 2015

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Just finished it. Overall I give it a B. It was better than mediocre but not great. Tenant was good, the fight scenes were bad, etc.

Looking forward to Daredevil s2. Shane as The Punisher looks like it's going to own.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think why I liked it a bit more than DD is that it was a comic book thing, but didn't feel like a comic book thing. Even with super strength and mind control and everything, that felt secondary to the actual investigations and stuff.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

"You let me be...inside you" might be the MOST wretched line of dialog ever conceived, ever written, ever put to page, ever spoken as part of a work of cinematic fiction

In the history of the moving picture never before and never will there ever be a line of dialog as loving terrible as "You let me be (pause for emphasis)....inside you"

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Just in general, some of the dialogue in this series is just really bad.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Haha. Bunch of babies. I like Doctor Who, David Tennant is actually my favorite doctor and I'm loving him to pieces as a bad guy. gently caress, so creepy!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

"You let me be...inside you" might be the MOST wretched line of dialog ever conceived, ever written, ever put to page, ever spoken as part of a work of cinematic fiction

In the history of the moving picture never before and never will there ever be a line of dialog as loving terrible as "You let me be (pause for emphasis)....inside you"

Oh god yes, that is like someone let Trent Reznor get ahold of the script for a second.