Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

wolrah posted:

Unless you have some insane aftermarket brake package that requires 18" wheels the correct answer here is to get some winter wheels that are as small as will fit on the car. Snow tires will be a lot cheaper for smaller diameter wheels and you get more sidewall to suck up potholes and other road nastiness that tends to get worse in the winter.

I am not sure if the Touring brakes are bigger or not.

wolrah posted:

Tire Rack recommends a 16" wheel for your vehicle which puts you around $750 for steel wheels and a good set of tires.
I wonder if wheels from other Subaru models would fit? I could go to our local yard.

wolrah posted:

Is the wiggling you notice in any way related to anything you can see on the road, markings, grooves, etc? My BMW has always been very susceptible to "tramlining" (catching and following grooves in the road) when running tires with open channels in the tread, I think I recall reading that was related to the OEM rear alignment being more aggressive than most. That explanation doesn't really fit as well with a crossover as it does with a sort of sporty sedan, but it came to mind.
We get the same on hard clay roads with ice. I used the description because the feel is identical, except with the ice, it makes it so unstable that you can lose control if you speed up above 34 mph. If I filmed myself, it would look like I were driving a 100 mph rally car on a long straight. Tons of small corrective inputs that make me look like "I" am the one trying to cause a wreck if you are familiar.

wolrah posted:

If there's any easy way to disable the car's "nanny" electronics you might be able to determine whether it's a mechanical issue or a sensor/programming problem. I know on most Haldex AWD cars you can pull a fuse and make it run in 2WD mode, not sure if Subaru's AWD allows for something similar. Do that plus disable traction control (may have to pull more fuses or disconnect ABS sensors) and you'd have the computer entirely out of the equation to do some further testing. Obviously you'd need to be careful when driving like this, especially if the problem requires icy conditions to get it to show up, but it's potentially a useful experiment.
Both myself and others have seen not a peep out of the lights that flash incessantly at the slightest slip. These inputs are so small and fast that they bear no resemblance to the more hamfisted type of inputs the Subaru stability control gives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Bajaha posted:

Why not just get a set of winter wheels and throw snow tires on there? You can for 17" wheels for sure on the forester, might even fit 16" wheels (or as small as 15" but finding tires tall enough might be a headache) if they didn't change the hubs for the turbo models, you have 5x100 bolt pattern which lets you use pretty much any pre 2014 non-STI oem wheels. Should be able to pick up a used set for ~$200 then you'd just have to find tires.
This really helps, but how many tire sensors can I program for? We kill tires all the time as our 60 mile commute includes 20 miles of rough crushed gravel roads. I have killed tires simply because a nail or sharp bit of gravel and then drove 1/4 mile before I realized I was completely flat.

Bajaha posted:

if you have a membership Costco can be pretty awesome for tire prices as well.
I am new to costco, just recently having fired Sams Club for their business practices and a DIFFERENT tire related issue of all things. What offering do you suggest from them?

Bajaha posted:

Here's my family's 2015 NA forester on gold WRX 17" alloys. The tires are a little undersized since they're from my Baja. Size 215/60R-17 but for the forester they should ideally be 65 aspect ratio.

Looks great. Your post is extremely helpful as I was curious about Subaru cross platform wheel compatibility.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

pwnyXpress posted:

Thank you to you both!

Just wanted to follow up since I think I fixed this today. The belt itself was actually fine, but the tension spring had apparently worn out so I replaced the spring and pulley there. Took it on a small jaunt to the store and back and it seems to be running great, and much quieter, than it has in the past, but the "Get Engine Serviced Soon" light is still on. Is that still on because something else is wrong, or is it something I can turn off or will go off at some point? I imagine I might want to check coolant levels, since I was flooding it when it was overheating, right?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

pwnyXpress posted:

Just wanted to follow up since I think I fixed this today. The belt itself was actually fine, but the tension spring had apparently worn out so I replaced the spring and pulley there. Took it on a small jaunt to the store and back and it seems to be running great, and much quieter, than it has in the past, but the "Get Engine Serviced Soon" light is still on. Is that still on because something else is wrong, or is it something I can turn off or will go off at some point? I imagine I might want to check coolant levels, since I was flooding it when it was overheating, right?

Most parts stores outside of California and Hawaii will scan codes or loan out the code scanner for free. Then it doesn't have to be a guessing game. And yes of course you should replace your lost coolant. :)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
For about $25 you can get a dongle that plugs into your car and you can do it all from your phone/tablet.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

B4Ctom1 posted:

Winter tire stuff

Hey, I was asking about winter tire a little earlier in the thread. Just want to say you might want to check out Craigslist. I finally found a set of 16" wheels with almost new snow tires on them that will fit my car, for $400. I don't know what area you live in, but my CL had loads of listings for wheels+snow tires.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Car roof covers: good or bad idea?

I was thinking of getting one for my Saab soft-top for the British Winter. Keep bird poo poo and snow off it when I don't use it for a couple of days

Or is trapping water under it a really bad idea and I should just give it lots more water-proofing spray and get a windscreen cover to stop ice?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Godholio posted:

For about $25 you can get a dongle that plugs into your car and you can do it all from your phone/tablet.

For about 8-15 nowadsys.. it's one of my better purchases.
It's nice to use with dash command or torque for mpg, I tend to drive with a lighter foot on my commutes etc.
Plus you get to read codes without having to go to the parts store.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Godholio posted:

How does one wade through the sea of Cheap Chinese Crap to find the correct Cheap Chinese Crap? Christmas is coming, and I have $12 in Google Play credit and was thinking about getting a BT OBD2 adapter + paid app. Are there better models for various cars, or is that mostly on the app side? I was hoping it would do more than just read codes, hence paying for the app.

In order of caring: 2009 Z4, 2016 Prius V, 2013 Civic

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
This one was recommended to me by goons and works great. I recommended it to someone else and it works great for them, too.

http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products%C2%AE-Bluetooth-diagnostics-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=sr_1_2

(Though it looks like the design changed slightly since I bought mine. Different label, at least.)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

This one was recommended to me by goons and works great. I recommended it to someone else and it works great for them, too.

http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products%C2%AE-Bluetooth-diagnostics-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=sr_1_2

Thanks! Which software do you use with it on your phone?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Torque.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

ExecuDork posted:

Thank you, I'll check them out!

I just want to add that since I posted that I drove a co-worker there to pick up his car and holy poo poo, run, don't walk to this mans shop.

It's like an AI wonderland in there. Shop seems sketchy as hell at first glance but inside he's got engines apart, turbos being reman'd, and he identified my Audi's engine just looking at the car and told me to bring it in for a cam chain tensioner.

He troubleshooted my friends car via photos sent over text message and then had all the correct parts waiting when he brought it in.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Hey, I was asking about winter tire a little earlier in the thread. Just want to say you might want to check out Craigslist. I finally found a set of 16" wheels with almost new snow tires on them that will fit my car, for $400. I don't know what area you live in, but my CL had loads of listings for wheels+snow tires.

Great idea! I might have to wait until summer to get the most deals?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

H110Hawk posted:

How does one wade through the sea of Cheap Chinese Crap to find the correct Cheap Chinese Crap? Christmas is coming, and I have $12 in Google Play credit and was thinking about getting a BT OBD2 adapter + paid app. Are there better models for various cars, or is that mostly on the app side? I was hoping it would do more than just read codes, hence paying for the app.

Here is the iPad/iPhone/iPod version I have that uses wifi instead of bluetooth since Apple's bluetooth compatibility is corporately controlled
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B3K2X4M

I found that the App Store app called DashCommand is great.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dashcommand-obd-ii-gauge-dashboards/id321293183?mt=8

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

B4Ctom1 posted:

This really helps, but how many tire sensors can I program for? We kill tires all the time as our 60 mile commute includes 20 miles of rough crushed gravel roads. I have killed tires simply because a nail or sharp bit of gravel and then drove 1/4 mile before I realized I was completely flat.

I am new to costco, just recently having fired Sams Club for their business practices and a DIFFERENT tire related issue of all things. What offering do you suggest from them?

Costco has the same deal on Michelin and Bridgestone tires at the moment, $70 off. I've got a set of WS80's on my old forester, and the 2015 pictured above is on WS70's from my Baja. Personally I've been favoring the Bridgestone (b\c of price) but the Michelin X-Ice series is supposed to be a top contender too.

This is a handy site for comparing the size differences with different tire\wheel packages. Most OEM subaru wheels are around +48ish offset and usually around 6.5"- 7" rim width.

I've found reports of people using 16" wheels on 2014+ foresters, also it looks like all levels of forester use the same brakes, at least if you look at the cross compatibility for the rotors and calipers

B4Ctom1 posted:

I think you can only program one set of TPMS sensors at a time. You'll either have to be more vigilant for that section of your commute or you'll have get a second set of sensors and see what the procedure for reprogramming is. It could be simple or it could mean a dealer trip.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

H110Hawk posted:

I literally bought the cheapest one on Amazon at the time. Whether you need BT or wifi depends on your phone/tablet though (I guess you've got android). IOS devices don't usually like cheap BT things like these, so you'd want wifi. For android, I guess it doesn't matter. I didn't know this and bought a BT dongle, which works fine with my android tablet but isn't even detected by my iphone. Torque Pro is the app you want on android, it does all kinds of data monitoring/logging. I think it's $5. There's something similar for IOS, Dash Command.

Edit: Beaten sorely.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

B4Ctom1 posted:

Here is the iPad/iPhone/iPod version I have that uses wifi instead of bluetooth since Apple's bluetooth compatibility is corporately controlled
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B3K2X4M

I found that the App Store app called DashCommand is great.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dashcommand-obd-ii-gauge-dashboards/id321293183?mt=8

Godholio posted:

I literally bought the cheapest one on Amazon at the time. Whether you need BT or wifi depends on your phone/tablet though (I guess you've got android). IOS devices don't usually like cheap BT things like these, so you'd want wifi. For android, I guess it doesn't matter. I didn't know this and bought a BT dongle, which works fine with my android tablet but isn't even detected by my iphone. Torque Pro is the app you want on android, it does all kinds of data monitoring/logging. I think it's $5. There's something similar for IOS, Dash Command.

Edit: Beaten sorely.

Awesome, thanks everyone.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Sanschel posted:

Is there a cheap and easy way to replace the starter on a car if I know jack and poo poo about vehicles?

Longer version: 2005 Ford Five-Hundred
My girlfriend's crappy old tugboat finally started to capsize last night when it wouldn't start after she got off work. She and her employers attempted to jump it to no avail, and today AAA came out and attempting to jump it before concluding it was the starter and towing us to a nearby shop. Said shop is unable to even examine the car until Monday so it gets to sit in a parking lot until then, but they quoted us $480 after taxes to get it on the road.

As for the problems, the car refuses to turn over and makes a strained snapping noise as you crank the engine. It seems unlikely to be the battery as its only two years old and I was able to charge my phone as I waited for her to come get me in my car. There was heavy rain and flooding this week, the first in a long while, and the mechanic said its possible that water got splashed up into the undercarriage and into the starter to cause it to fail.

Is there a way for somebody with no experience working on cars to fix this without dropping almost half a month's rent into it? Otherwise we're considering loaning money from some place and this car just isn't worth that (it has a bevy of other issues that we've been considering ditching it for a while anyway, only hindered by the "can't afford a new car" thing).

You can do it, but if you have no tools and space you're in a weird place. If the starter really is bad, you may spend as much in tools and parts as the shop wants. There's a chance that the problem is just corrosion on the connections, and removing a few bolts and cleaning things may get you by and you can save a bundle, but you'll still need tools.

It comes down to how you want to spend your money. Repairing the Ford at the shop is simple, and keep in mind the 450 is comparable to a single months car payment. Investing in tools and doing it yourself will have a long term savings as you will be able to repair more things over time for less money. Buying the new car is going to cost more every month, every six months with higher insurance, and every year with a higher registration cost.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Godholio posted:

IOS devices don't usually like cheap BT things like these, so you'd want wifi.

IOS devices have crippled bluetooth that can do little more than exchange photos/contact lists and send/receive audio. This was a design decision and has nothing to do with cheap bluetooth devices.

Because of this the available OBD2 software on IOS is pretty limited. It's probably worth picking up a cheap Android phone (like a $30 pre paid) to use with a cheap BT scanner.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
A question about tires. I have four X-Ice winter tires. One of them had to be replaced due to a puncture that couldn't be repaired due to the puncture location.

So, I've got three tires with 5mm of tread left on them and one with 8mm.

I understand that tires with different tread shouldn't be mixed-and-matched then placed on the same vehicle. Should a difference like the ones described above be cause for concern?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

melon cat posted:

A question about tires. I have four X-Ice winter tires. One of them had to be replaced due to a puncture that couldn't be repaired due to the puncture location.

I understand that tires with different tread shouldn't be mixed-and-matched then placed on the same vehicle. Should a difference like the ones described above be cause for concern?

I'm going to be nice and assume this is about your hyundai and not an audi RS4. No it won't make any difference at all, if you want to be super duper safe stick the brand new one on one of the back wheels.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

melon cat posted:

We need to know the vehicle to give a proper recommendation, and whether it is all wheel drive if that's not automatically clear from the make and model.

It is better to avoid mixing tread depths, but only certain cars will actually be damaged by having one tyre that's different.

The most likely advice is that is doesn't matter and, as Slavvy said, put the new one on a non-driven wheel.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I'm the only one that thought "Put it on the only drive wheel and Do A Burnout™"?

Get a camera.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I just bought an 08 Cayman (yeeeeee!) and I need to get some winter wheels/tires asap. Currently it's got a set of Continental ExtremeContact with the following measurements:

Front: 235/40 ZR 18
Rear: 265/30 ZR 18

Meeanwhile over on cragislist, there's a set of 18x8 rims with 245/60/18 Blizzaks (http://syracuse.craigslist.org/wto/5305522967.html). They're ugly as sin but they're a winter set and cheap, so whatever. My question is whether I can put the same size tires on both the front and rear, and if so, will that specific set fit? As far as I can tell using TireRack those wheels fit, and that tire size should fit. I guess I just want someone's blessing to go buy those, because they're 2 hours away and I'd hate to pick them up only to find out that a 245/60 won't fit on the front or something.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

I'm going to be nice and assume this is about your hyundai and not an audi RS4. No it won't make any difference at all, if you want to be super duper safe stick the brand new one on one of the back wheels.
Heh, it's the wife's 2007 Corolla LE. I'm content with placing it on the back wheels, so I'll go ahead and do that. Thanks!

InitialDave posted:

We need to know the vehicle to give a proper recommendation, and whether it is all wheel drive if that's not automatically clear from the make and model.

It is better to avoid mixing tread depths, but only certain cars will actually be damaged by having one tyre that's different.

The most likely advice is that is doesn't matter and, as Slavvy said, put the new one on a non-driven wheel.
As mentioned to Slavvy- 2007 Corolla LE. Nothing fancy. And I'll take Slavvy's advice on this one (and yours, too). Thanks, guys.

Cage posted:

I'm the only one that thought "Put it on the only drive wheel and Do A Burnout™"?

Get a camera.
Instructions unclear- drove car through garage door. Send help.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Car: 2004 Ford Focus ZX3 2.0L DOHC

Issue: Parking brake is not stopping the rear wheels.

Replaced Components
- Parking brake intermediate cable from the lever to the rear suspension mounting points.
- Parking brake rear cables and connectors to the intermediate cable.
- Both rear brake shoes, hardware, drums, wheel bearings, dust caps, wheel cylinders, and hard lines. Bled all four corners with a vacuum bleeder.

Adjustment
Pulled up 8 clicks on PB lever and tightened nut down until resistance could be felt. Brake shoes adjusted outward until they just slightly rubbed against the drum during installation.

Observations
- Movement of parking brake lever pulls and releases tension on both cables on the backing plates of the rear drum brake assemblies.
- Rear drums increase in temperature after vehicle use

Known Possible Reasons For Issue
- Brake shoe adjustment conducted improperly
- Parking brake return spring (2 on diagram) installed improperly
- Parking brake lever adjusted improperly

Questions
- How can I verify proper shoe adjustment?
- Is there any adjustment or part I am missing?

Thank you.

I actually snapped a picture of the passenger's side before buttoning it up:

Some installation instructions from the service manual:

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 23, 2015

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

It's probably worth picking up a cheap Android phone (like a $30 pre paid) to use with a cheap BT scanner.

Or ask your friends who obsessively upgrade their phones if they have something kicking around in a drawer. Hit factory reset on it and off you go.

Or you know, cheap chinese crap: http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Google-Android-4-4-KitKat-Tablet-PC-A33-Quad-Core-HD-8GB-Dual-Camera-Wi-Fi-/261797626422

They're really bad but probably work.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Bearing diagnosis question. I recently rebuilt the 4.0 in my jeep, ran an oil analysis, and found high bearing metals. This lead to finding a severely scored #7 main bearing.

Could this be caused by oil starvation, despite the oil pressure gauge reading normal values, with an actual pressure gauge (20psi warm idle, 40+ when cruising)?

#7 main bearing, scored deep, like running your finger over a vinyl record, crank journal scored in a negative image of that:

#1 connecting rod bearing, barely catches fingernail scoring, no visible or touchable scoring on the crank journal:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Extra posted:

Adjustment
Pulled up 8 clicks on PB lever and tightened nut down until resistance could be felt. Brake shoes adjusted outward until they just slightly rubbed against the drum during installation.

Drum brakes are supposed to drag more than that. The way I adjust mine is such that when you throw the wheel as hard as you can, it spins for 1.5 revolutions before stopping.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Do dealerships actually run real deals on black friday that you would otherwise not be able to get on any other day?

Also, is the current Ford 'Friends and Family' pricing event present significant savings? Or is it just smoke and mirrors and I'd be able to get the current 'Friends and Family' pricing just by haggling?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

EightBit posted:

Bearing diagnosis question. I recently rebuilt the 4.0 in my jeep, ran an oil analysis, and found high bearing metals. This lead to finding a severely scored #7 main bearing.

Could this be caused by oil starvation, despite the oil pressure gauge reading normal values, with an actual pressure gauge (20psi warm idle, 40+

Could you post a picture of the crankshaft main? Since its recently rebuilt I wonder if it was a machining issue to start with.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Raluek posted:

Drum brakes are supposed to drag more than that. The way I adjust mine is such that when you throw the wheel as hard as you can, it spins for 1.5 revolutions before stopping.

Okay, thanks. Unfortunately these can't be adjusted from the outside so I'll be taking the drum off and messing with the adjuster . Can't check the 1.5 revolutions before putting the drum back on but I'll just set them to have much more resistance when the drum gets put on and see if that works. Bit of a pain in the rear end really, have to rotate the drum 20 revolutions backward while applying 185 ft-lbs to the wheel nut.

The adjusters are supposed to "self-adjust" outward under braking but apparently that isn't happening enough. I made sure both of the adjusters could freely turn before installing them again so I'm thinking they're not seized. That said I didn't grease them.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 23, 2015

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

B4Ctom1 posted:

Great idea! I might have to wait until summer to get the most deals?

Theoretically yes I would assume, but I saw a lot of full sets hovering around that price while looking last week.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

96 Silverado pickup, 415k miles

Headlights randomly go out - sometimes one, sometimes both. DRLs work correctly. Dash lights randomly go off/on. Hazards turn on when turn signaling.

Have checked all bulbs, relays, headlight switch and turn signal stalk per the Googles and all seem to be ok.

Any other things to check before I spend diagnostic money?

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

So a friend of mine bought a used car recently, and it's got this DVD/GPS/Bluetooth unit installed in it:

As best I can tell, it's an unbranded Ouku 2014, but I haven't been able to find much info about it. This wouldn't be a problem if the Bluetooth was working, which it isn't. The device says that Bluetooth is on and ready for pairing, but nothing I bring near it can see it (Android phones, iPhones, etc.) I'm not really sure what the next step is. It appears to be running WinCE 6, so maybe I should try rooting it and putting Android on it for her?

actually3raccoons fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 23, 2015

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Stupid winter tire question: inflate to the normal pressures indicated on the driver door sticker? Or something else since they are weird voodoo magic tires

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Telemicus posted:

So a friend of mine bought a used car recently, and it's got this DVD/GPS/Bluetooth unit installed in it:

As best I can tell, it's an unbranded Ouku 2014, but I haven't been able to find much info about it. This wouldn't be a problem if the Bluetooth was working, which it isn't. The device says that Bluetooth is on and ready for pairing, but nothing I bring near it can see it (Android phones, iPhones, etc.) I'm not really sure what the next step is. It appears to be running WinCE 6, so maybe I should try rooting it and putting Android on it for her?

Some of these things you need to pair within a certain amount of time after turning on the car. Some of them don't actually have Bluetooth due to vehicle package options. It might be helpful if they can fetch the build sheet from a dealer, that might show the actual model number for the receiver.

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

EightBit posted:

Some of these things you need to pair within a certain amount of time after turning on the car.

Aha! I'll test this, thanks!!

quote:

Some of them don't actually have Bluetooth due to vehicle package options. It might be helpful if they can fetch the build sheet from a dealer, that might show the actual model number for the receiver.

It was a DIY job from the previous owner, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Extra posted:

Okay, thanks. Unfortunately these can't be adjusted from the outside so I'll be taking the drum off and messing with the adjuster . Can't check the 1.5 revolutions before putting the drum back on but I'll just set them to have much more resistance when the drum gets put on and see if that works. Bit of a pain in the rear end really, have to rotate the drum 20 revolutions backward while applying 185 ft-lbs to the wheel nut.

The adjusters are supposed to "self-adjust" outward under braking but apparently that isn't happening enough. I made sure both of the adjusters could freely turn before installing them again so I'm thinking they're not seized. That said I didn't grease them.

Oh man, if you have to take the whole thing apart each time that is a major pain. I'd be tempted to drill a hole in the backing plate to be able to reach the adjuster, and then put a rubber plug in it when I was done.

If the self adjusters work like the ones I'm used to seeing, they work in reverse. So find an empty parking lot, get up to speed traveling in reverse, and stomp on the brakes a few times. See if that helps.

In autoshop I remember being told to always regrease the star wheel dealie every time you put in new shoes, but I never do. That said, my auto-adjusters don't auto-adjust very well either; I just do them by hand.

E: Looking at your pictures, though, it doesn't seem to use the usual star-wheel configuration so I'm not sure how your setup adjusts. So maybe none of this advice is useful.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 23, 2015