Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hi guys, I got busy and rather than post asking for an update on what happened in the last 100 pages I thought I would read them for myself and now I feel stupid enough to sink thousands of dollars into an ugly space dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjvtK9ucirI&t=141s

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

tooterfish posted:

An Alcubierre drive doesn't accelerate the ship, it warps space around the ship. So theoretically the drive wouldn't actually affect inertia at all, and once the warp field was disabled/exited objects would return to their original velocity. Therefore what happens in Star Citizen is actually more plausible (can't believe I just wrote that) than your scenario of the guy exiting the ship being slung into a planet at an appreciable fraction of the speed of light, fun as that sounds.

What I'm getting here is that you can accept magic technology that violates physics in a computer game, only if it works in the specific way you imagine to be realistic, and not in any other way... even if that way actually makes as least as much if not more sense?

You've fixated onto an edge case scenario which I only provided in order to throw a bone towards those who would defend the current behavior. Good job taking the bait.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

gently caress chris roberts for loving this game up. If this came out a few years ago I would be excited.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Toops posted:

LOL Europe sucks balls.

But at least 1/5 of the money our shitizens waste has a chance of doing something useful

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Berious posted:

But at least 1/5 of the money our shitizens waste has a chance of doing something useful

Like what putting syrian refugees in tent camps haha.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012

serious norman posted:

Why is the alpha called 2.0 and not 0.001 or so?

For zee appeerance of progris mien ubermensch.

Modi1024
Nov 15, 2012
Is there a release date for this yet?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

kikkelivelho posted:

The animation that was supposed to move him through the door into the cargo hold bugged and glitched him into the ships upper hull instead. Since he was no longer "inside" the ship the local physics grid stopped working. At least that's what it looks like. The get in / get out animations in general tend to have problems with placing you into the correct spot.

Part of that is because each ship has numerous unique animations that need to be tweaked. Just look at how many had to be done just to get into the cockpit. Now imagine all of the animations required to access all the little panels or components for repairing or whatever bullshit you will have to do.

It's a perfect example of engineering debt.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Honestly the 2.0 stuff looks kinda fun when it works and that kinda pisses me off. The game could have been great if croberts and his secret wife took a hands-off approach to the development and abandoned their hollywood moviegame dreams.

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013

Man who is in charge of the sound design and what idiot thought it was a good idea to have to sit through a loading animation?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The thing is if you give a studio a few years and have decent people working on things you'll get a good game.
It's absolutely everything that Chris has thought up that is poo poo

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Modi1024 posted:

Is there a release date for this yet?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/description posted:

Estimated delivery:
Nov 2014

Modi1024
Nov 15, 2012
But don't they at least pretend they know when it will drop? Or are they still banking on people being bad at calendars.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

XK posted:

You've fixated onto an edge case scenario which I only provided in order to throw a bone towards those who would defend the current behavior. Good job taking the bait.
I'm not fixating on anything. I'm the one who brought up the warp drive in the first place as a reason why the game might behave in a way that's triggering to you and yet still have plausible physics. Your reply unwittingly just reinforced my point.

Just admit you didn't fully understand how the Alcubierre drive might actually work when you linked to its wiki, pulling the puppetmaster defence at this point just makes you look like a petulant wanker. Let it go, it's okay it be wrong on the internet every now and again.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

no_recall posted:

I'm still very annoyed that SC's small gimbaled thrusters can counter the force of the main thrusters.

I think they very wisely quietly scrapped that particular harebrained idea. We were told thrusters were actually calculated in real time and effected the flight but I saw main engines firing full on when ships were going straight up and down in the stream last night. It's a perfect example of something that it's better to fake because who gives a poo poo or even could tell unless you pointed it out. But it's a classic "wouldn't it be cool if" Chris idea so I'm sure he whipped the code monkeys for months trying to get that dumb poo poo working..

For another dumb thing if only they'd scrap the first person camera being fixed to your eyes then they could have a game that doesn't look like constant jittery poo poo. But I guess Chris is more wedded to that idea because it's been a problem forever.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Part of that is because each ship has numerous unique animations that need to be tweaked. Just look at how many had to be done just to get into the cockpit. Now imagine all of the animations required to access all the little panels or components for repairing or whatever bullshit you will have to do.

It's a perfect example of engineering debt.

I think the second worst thing about those animations, after the fact they exist, is how they take away control of your camera every time you do some bespoke animated thing. Like every time you sit down for a poo poo you have to laboriously move your head down to show you dropping your pants. They're so proud of their pinching one off animation that they're drat well going to make you watch it perfectly framed over 30 long seconds. It's quite jarring watching streams when the camera goes from player control to "hey look at this!"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Stuff like that shows that when poo poo works, it looks really good. Until the game breaking bugs happen. Goddamnit, CIG.

Rad Russian posted:

I like how he is floating outside in middle of space and can hear ships fly by him including the doppler effect. Space realism to the next level!

They said way early in the development that they were going to do that. Their in-game justification is that your suit's computer is simulating it all. I'm fine with it because "rule of cool."

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Berious posted:

I think the second worst thing about those animations, after the fact they exist, is how they take away control of your camera every time you do some bespoke animated thing. Like every time you sit down for a poo poo you have to laboriously move your head down to show you dropping your pants. They're so proud of their pinching one off animation that they're drat well going to make you watch it perfectly framed over 30 long seconds. It's quite jarring watching streams when the camera goes from player control to "hey look at this!"

I also have a pet theory that all those loving stupid animations are the reason they ditched VR, as anyone who's used it will tell you things like that make you feel ill.
I don't buy the bullshit about Cryengine and VR issues

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

I also have a pet theory that all those loving stupid animations are the reason they ditched VR, as anyone who's used it will tell you things like that make you feel ill.
I don't buy the bullshit about Cryengine and VR issues

You never take control of the head away from a person in VR.

Edit: Unless being violently ill and throwing up IRL is part of the game, I guess.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

KillHour posted:

You never take control of the head away from a person in VR.

Yup, and it happens everytime you wipe your rear end in SC, so Chirs would have had to decide between VR and his awesome animations, and considering the only thing that went down well at CitCons was the pilot putting on a helmet animation the writing was on the wall :lol:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Yup, and it happens everytime you wipe your rear end in SC, so Chirs would have had to decide between VR and his awesome animations, and considering the only thing that went down well at CitCons was the pilot putting on a helmet animation the writing was on the wall :lol:

I kind of want to make a joke VR game where you have to solve simple math problems (or complete some other trivial task) as quickly as possible while the game progressively makes you more and more motion sick. I feel like a poo poo ton of wannabe let's players on Youtube would buy it, but it might be crossing the line from an ethics perspective. Also, I don't want to get sued when someone gets seriously hurt.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Even if they would implement VR, the hardware necessary to run the game at the required frame rate doesn't exist.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

comfortable VR was out of the picture the moment the FPS bits were announced. VR just doesn't work with that style of gameplay

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Chris Roberts is a piece of poo poo imo

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

BMan posted:

Even if they would implement VR, the hardware necessary to run the game at the required frame rate doesn't exist.

It will by the time the thing releases lol

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I've heard that Chris Roberts is a convicted sex offender in the state of New York.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Modi1024 posted:

But don't they at least pretend they know when it will drop? Or are they still banking on people being bad at calendars.

At CitizenCon Chris Roberts literally said they will not be giving any more release dates and the audience broke into applause.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

A Neurotic Jew posted:

At CitizenCon Chris Roberts literally said they will not be giving any more release dates and the audience broke into applause.

They put jpegs of spaceships on their site for hundreds of dollars and people bought them :eyepop:

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Man was that the most pathetic poo poo possible.

a clearly agitated croberts whines like a little kid to his most loyal (gullible) customers about how people give him poo poo for never sticking to deadlines. :qq:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/297101/players-spying-on-other-organization-an-issue

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/297960/800-000-soon-more-important-then-million-citizens

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

They put jpegs of spaceships on their site for hundreds of dollars and people bought them :eyepop:

Once, before they even had jpegs, they literally put .txt files up and people gave them hundreds.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 23, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Chocobo posted:

I've heard that Chris Roberts is a convicted sex offender in the state of New York.

http://www.criminaljustice.ny.gov/SomsSUBDirectory/search_index.jsp?offenderSubmit=true&LastName=Roberts&County=&Zip=&Submit=Search

There's a conspiracy to cover it up. :tinfoil:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

Once, before they even have jpegs, they literally put .txt files up and people gave them hundreds.

Somewhere out there there is a Star Citizen fanatic trying to insert his credit card into a cave painting

randomcommoner
Sep 6, 2006
it's a-me
Can't wait for the 10 hours of unskippable cutscenes from master cinematographer chris ropperts. I'm sure the story will be gripping. Wish you could pledge for extra cutscenes.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Star Citizen - More valuable salibration!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Sooner rather than later, they will auction-off the opportunity to be MoCapped and inserted into a SQ42 cut-scene. It will be the most money they ever make on a sale.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Behold! I am finally free from publisher meddling!

*micromanages the project to dead and sets 5 different hard to hit deadlines*

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

My buddy works at CERN and he says that he somehow jimmyrigged the energy released by particle collisions into computing power and he says he's running 2.0 at a steady 15 fps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Huge numbers of these people are eve refugees in a constant cycle of shaking and weeping.

• Locked thread