Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
2 observations:

1) Alex Jacob must have a hard time buying underwear, what with his huge balls.

2) The look on Matt Jackson's face during FJ was priceless. So completely defeated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Well that about wraps that tournament up. Best Daily Double of all time.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

wa27 posted:

Holy poo poo, Alex's daily doubles today. I haven't heard the audience gasp like that since Roger Craig.

You weren't kidding. That one Daily Double put away today' game for him relatively early. It seems like he has an advantage on the buzzer over Matt from what I saw today.

I guessed wrong on Final as well, and it cost Matt pretty big, looks like Alex will be hard to catch for the finale tomorrow if he keeps up this pace, and continues to bet big and hit Daily Doubles like that... Kerry is in good position to come in before Matt too depending on how they do tomorrow...

Also, drat were the contestant interviews for the two guys awkward today...

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Propaniac posted:

Nope, they said "in this Valve game's sequel."

It's a spinoff from the Half-Life series. I guess you could argue that counts as a "sequel"?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Fuschia tude posted:

It's a spinoff from the Half-Life series. I guess you could argue that counts as a "sequel"?

I think the key is the difference between "this Valve game's sequel" and "this Valve game sequel". The game isn't on j-archive yet so I don't know the exact wording. Seems unnecessary to mention a sequel at all though when I think the question text could have applied to either game.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
It's what I said, I had just finished watching the game on my DVR so I rewound it to check.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
That was stunning

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Spraynard Kruger posted:

I was getting a little worried for Matt at the end of the first round, but that Double Jeopardy board had his name written all over it. Dude loves some show tunes.

Also, if you're not following his Facebook page, you're missing out on great stuff like this: https://www.facebook.com/MattJacksonJeopardy/posts/757443084362342

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

just when i was starting to like that guy

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Matt is cool. Alex is cool. Kerry is fine, I guess. I really just hope that we get one more Alex daily double where he risks it all, stares blankly at the floor for 10 seconds, shakes his head disapprovingly and then says the right answer when forced to speak by Trebek.

well you called it

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

zakharov posted:

Well that about wraps that tournament up. Best Daily Double of all time.

On Matt's facebook post that someone linked here the other day, he said, "Remember it's a two-day final" so I'm not sure it's over. Why mention that if you were going to just lose?

wa27 posted:

I think the key is the difference between "this Valve game's sequel" and "this Valve game sequel". The game isn't on j-archive yet so I don't know the exact wording. Seems unnecessary to mention a sequel at all though when I think the question text could have applied to either game.

Didn't it specifically mention an AI that was helping you defeat GLaDOS though? That'd be Whately, which means it had to be Portal 2.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

Didn't it specifically mention an AI that was helping you defeat GLaDOS though? That'd be Whately, which means it had to be Portal 2.

Ok, here's the full text from j-archive:

quote:

A comical A.I. helps you make holes you can move through to beat Glados' tests in this Valve game's sequel

So even though the text was referring to Portal 2, "this Valve game's sequel" means they're asking for the first game. "this" refers to "game", not "sequel". If you drop the possessive then the answer is Portal 2.

Seems kind of clunky when they could have just written the question about Portal 1 to begin with, but it does make sense.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

If they wanted to fake this, shouldn't they have gotten the page name correct? Does he have a personal account called "Matthew Jackson" that someone stole this from? This looks like the work of a Twitter hater.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Spraynard Kruger posted:

If they wanted to fake this, shouldn't they have gotten the page name correct? Does he have a personal account called "Matthew Jackson" that someone stole this from? This looks like the work of a Twitter hater.

It is from his personal account, and I took the screenshot myself

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Dreylad posted:

well you called it

Just got to watch the episode and all i have to say is yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Go Alex.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

so much happier alex is gonna win after this.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Arturo Ui posted:

It is from his personal account, and I took the screenshot myself

Well I'll be damned. Thank you for this look in to the personal Facebook account of Matt Jackson.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Well, that DD pretty much did Matt in, but I think a big part of it was psychological. If he'd calmed down and thought for another minute, he would have had it.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Well, that DD pretty much did Matt in, but I think a big part of it was psychological. If he'd calmed down and thought for another minute, he would have had it.

Yeah, too bad for that big bet on the Daily Double not paying off for him because he didn't think it through. If he had hit that, it might've made this Final a lot closer, but after he missed it, Alex all but had the game in the bag. Nice of him to congratulate the show with his Final Jeopardy response when he all but said GG last episode in Final. Kerry couldn't even play spoiler, but at least she gets $50k.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Congrats to Alex. He was legitimately cool and I enjoyed his original run as champion. Matt is a good runner up, but he was really exposed as someone who can't play from behind.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

got drat, Alex

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Alex is amazing and should be invited back (along with Matt) for any future superchamp tournaments.

Gonna miss the ToC boards next week, you guys.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, Alex was amazing. Well done to him.

Agree that he and Matt should definitely both be in any futurechamp tournaments.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

HookShot posted:

Agree that he and Matt should definitely both be in any futurechamp tournaments.

I'd love to see how either of them would do against the likes of Arthur Chu or Julia Collins.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

GhostStalker posted:

I'd love to see how either of them would do against the likes of Arthur Chu or Julia Collins.

Skip directly to Rutter/Jennings/Skynet tier.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that whole wait until the very last second and pretend to pull daily double answer out your rear end thing was making me root for matt god help me.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I want a buddy cop movie where Matt is constantly telling Alex how cool final fantasy is

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

zVxTeflon posted:

I want a buddy cop movie where Matt is constantly telling Alex how cool final fantasy is

Alex tries to interrogate the suspect, spends eight hours pretending he forgot the actual crime.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Alex as prosecutor: *shakes head* *looks at floor* "I guess he like....killed her?"
Judge: "Guilty!!"
Alex: *head explodes in disbelief*

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

That sounds like something from Phoenix Wright.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Someone buy this man an account.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Someone buy this man an account.

He just won a hundred grand, he can buy his own damned account

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Badass

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Laura is killing me with her manner of speaking.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

wa27 posted:

Is it a vocal disability, or is it the world's most irritating affect? I legitimately can't tell.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Mo0 posted:

Is it a vocal disability, or is it the world's most irritating affect? I legitimately can't tell.

I can only assume disability because yyyyyikes.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
holy poo poo Laura is annoying, I missed her before the ToC

Mo0 posted:

100% affect, she sounded completely normal during her interview

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Soothing Vapors posted:

holy poo poo Laura is annoying, I missed her before the ToC

100% affect, she sounded completely normal during her interview

That's the thing, she only seems to do it at the end of a sentence. She seemed normal during the interview because she talked a mile a minute, which very well could be a compensation for her knowing she ends sentences that way.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

wa27 posted:

I forgot about it in the past two weeks, but hearing her today made me remember how annoying I found it in her first episode... It's like she only does it when she's picking a new clue, her responses didn't seem to have the affect or it was just very slight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
I read this before the episode (West coast) so I listened carefully. She does it for responses too, but sometimes it's more noticeable than others: she stresses the last syllable of each sentence, so you hear it more when that syllable isn't supposed to be stressed.