Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I don't know how common this is, but the radio I stuck into my VW (it's a stock radio from a newer model than mine) has a separate box for the Bluetooth system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Telemicus posted:

It was a DIY job from the previous owner, unfortunately.

The sure-fire solution is ripping it out and throw it far away.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

rdb posted:

Could you post a picture of the crankshaft main? Since its recently rebuilt I wonder if it was a machining issue to start with.

I did my best to get the focus on the journals, but my phone fought me every step of the way.

Here's the crankshaft main that goes with the earlier picture:

Here's a connecting rod journal:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

EightBit posted:

I did my best to get the focus on the journals, but my phone fought me every step of the way.

Here's the crankshaft main that goes with the earlier picture:

Here's a connecting rod journal:

You did have the crank inspected/cut before putting it back together last time, right?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I found some rust. It's a month or two old, tops. I'm in Colorado, so we don't really get rust. What should I do to prevent it spreading? Also, what's the part that covers this spot called? I've never installed a new one because I don't know what to look for.

E: gently caress, tables, sorry. Phone posting.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 23, 2015

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Ozmiander posted:

You did have the crank inspected/cut before putting it back together last time, right?

Yes, the machine shop checked it out and gave it a polish. I was just over there with these pieces and they are thinking debris of some kind, not sure of the origin.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I found some rust. It's a month or two old, tops. I'm in Colorado, so we don't really get rust. What should I do to prevent it spreading? Also, what's the part that covers this spot called? I've never installed a new one because I don't know what to look for.

E: gently caress, tables, sorry. Phone posting.

Windshield trim maybe? Any chance you could take a picture from further away?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Bajaha posted:

Costco has the same deal on Michelin and Bridgestone tires at the moment, $70 off. I've got a set of WS80's on my old forester, and the 2015 pictured above is on WS70's from my Baja. Personally I've been favoring the Bridgestone (b\c of price) but the Michelin X-Ice series is supposed to be a top contender too.

This is a handy site for comparing the size differences with different tire\wheel packages. Most OEM subaru wheels are around +48ish offset and usually around 6.5"- 7" rim width.

I've found reports of people using 16" wheels on 2014+ foresters, also it looks like all levels of forester use the same brakes, at least if you look at the cross compatibility for the rotors and calipers

I think you can only program one set of TPMS sensors at a time. You'll either have to be more vigilant for that section of your commute or you'll have get a second set of sensors and see what the procedure for reprogramming is. It could be simple or it could mean a dealer trip.

Thank you so much for this effort post.

Even if I use my wheels I can get for a lot less than I imagined.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 24, 2015

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CharlesM posted:

Hey guys. 2006 Mazda 3.
I had to slam on the brakes for a cat that ran in front of me. ABS went off really hard and now my pedal is going almost to the floor to get any braking. Did the ABS have a big air bubble in it? Or maybe I burst a line? The fluid level is normal I think but I'll have to check in the morning too. :sigh:

spog posted:

Could be a master/slave cylinder fail.

As you slammed on the brakes, they've been pushed much harder than they have been during the previous years of driving.

Just thought I'd update in case anybody was wondering: it appears to be this, internal leak in the master cylinder. Only one circuit was braking I guess which makes sense why the ABS went off so hard (it's easy to lock up the tires when only 1/2 the brakes work). Thanks for all your help and 14" for looking at it :)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Do I win a prize?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

EightBit posted:

Yes, the machine shop checked it out and gave it a polish. I was just over there with these pieces and they are thinking debris of some kind, not sure of the origin.

It does look like debris, maybe some grit that was in the oil galley. It needs a grind now.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

Windshield trim maybe? Any chance you could take a picture from further away?

Sure, tomorrow. It's on the drivers side, between the pillar and the windshield.

The rust itself, I'm not sure how to scrape it off and coat it so it doesn't come back. I've got some paint from the body shop that I took it to recently (got backed into in a parking lot), would a coat of that on top keep it safe? I'm probably going to get the cracked windshield replaced, maybe they can replace the trim at the same time.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Sure, tomorrow. It's on the drivers side, between the pillar and the windshield.

The rust itself, I'm not sure how to scrape it off and coat it so it doesn't come back. I've got some paint from the body shop that I took it to recently (got backed into in a parking lot), would a coat of that on top keep it safe? I'm probably going to get the cracked windshield replaced, maybe they can replace the trim at the same time.
Put some duck or other tough tape over the "good" paint to protect it a bit while you work, use a small wire brush to knock back the worst of the rust, then brush on something like rustoleum. That should stop it getting worse. I'd say then get the screen replaced, and go round the entire edge looking for anything that needs touching up, and do it properly with a colour match - there's a reasonable chance of scratches to the paint with a screen replacement, so you may as well kill two birds with one stone.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, thanks. Like I said, we really don't get rust in Colorado, so I have no experience with it. They say the paint is the exact same paint they used on the car at the shop, and the paint matching seems perfect. Maybe the tiniest bit darker, but I could be imagining it, and even then it's probably just 16-year-old paint vs new.

Will that kind of paint work in the place of Rustoleum? I've got maybe a good 8 ounces of it.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 24, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Crossposting from my thread, interested to see if anyone has any thoughts on this. Engine is a 2000 LS1, it's pissing something onto the belt and I can't tell what. UV dye in the power steering didn't light up, engine oil did, but...

Yeah, that looks perfectly clean, and I don't see any way for oil to get from the timing cover to the belt either.

But this sure looks messy over here, so now I'm back to power steering pump.

In both cases, the black crud by the crank and by the power steering pump wipes off quickly so it's the same stuff... but there's none on the inside area of the timing cover, just further out where it steps up. There's also a lot more of it under the pump. None of it lights up with a UV light, does that dye eventually break down? The buildup goes all the way down the front of the engine, but only on the driver's side. Passenger is clean all the way down.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
What's the general opinion on Pontiac Bonnevilles? They pretty much last forever, right? I have one at 250k and I saw one on CL with 400k (at $1000, lol).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

spog posted:

Do I win a prize?

My thanks will have to do for now; I've got to pay for a new master cylinder! :v:

Eskaton posted:

What's the general opinion on Pontiac Bonnevilles? They pretty much last forever, right? I have one at 250k and I saw one on CL with 400k (at $1000, lol).

Uh wow you got lucky.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Eskaton posted:

The V6 itself can last a stupidly long time if you changed the coolant like you were supposed to. Also feed it lots of ignition coils. The entire rest of the car will fall apart (and what better car with all that plastic cladding) blues brothers style before the 3800 gives up.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm about to move to a house that only has a small garage and a sloped driveway, but I'd like to be able to work on my cars still. Is it a really dumb idea to park the car so that the side you're going to work on is facing downhill, jack that end up so the car is pretty much level, then work on it? I forget how steep the driveway is, but i don't think it's that bad.

*edit*
I think the garage is going to have too much crap inside to actually fit a car, it's a very small one car garage.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm about to move to a house that only has a small garage and a sloped driveway, but I'd like to be able to work on my cars still. Is it a really dumb idea to park the car so that the side you're going to work on is facing downhill, jack that end up so the car is pretty much level, then work on it? I forget how steep the driveway is, but i don't think it's that bad.

*edit*
I think the garage is going to have too much crap inside to actually fit a car, it's a very small one car garage.

There's a reason all jacks say to use them on a level surface. Please don't kill yourself on your crazy sloped driveway :ohdear:

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

CharlesM posted:

Uh wow you got lucky.

Is it really that far out there? The first 100k were rental car miles even.

0toShifty posted:

The V6 itself can last a stupidly long time if you changed the coolant like you were supposed to. Also feed it lots of ignition coils. The entire rest of the car will fall apart (and what better car with all that plastic cladding) blues brothers style before the 3800 gives up.

According to my dad, it's still running on the original coils. He's an aviation mechanic, so I guess he takes better care than most. It was my first car, so I'm quite partial to it (I don't mind the cladding at all).

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 24, 2015

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Eskaton posted:

Is it really that far out there? The first 100k were rental car miles even.

According to my dad, it's still running on the original coils. He's an aviation mechanic, so I guess he takes better care than most. It was my first car, so I'm quite partial to it (I don't mind the cladding at all).

The original coils are the best. If you ever need to replace them in the future - go to the dealer and get the OEM ones. The ones that the car parts stores sell are practically disposable. That's why I see them for coils all the time.

Argentic
Apr 21, 2007

Hey guys, I have a 2014 Honda Civic and a really dumb question: what's the best way to clean the interior of the windshield? Mine has sort of an oily haze that I'd like to get rid of, but I want to make sure I don't accidentally gently caress up the glass or something.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Argentic posted:

Hey guys, I have a 2014 Honda Civic and a really dumb question: what's the best way to clean the interior of the windshield? Mine has sort of an oily haze that I'd like to get rid of, but I want to make sure I don't accidentally gently caress up the glass or something.

Glass cleaner.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

re Bluetooth OBDII chat.

I found that Torque didn't work, I did the trial and it would often not read my MPG..
I don't think it had to do with my bluetooth OBDII device I'd get 3 days of reading, a few of not.. usualy re-instlling torque fixed it. I didn't want to pay for an app that didn't work

I picked up dash command which has been flawless for about a year (got my Device last xmas)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

8ender posted:

I just want to add that since I posted that I drove a co-worker there to pick up his car and holy poo poo, run, don't walk to this mans shop.

It's like an AI wonderland in there. Shop seems sketchy as hell at first glance but inside he's got engines apart, turbos being reman'd, and he identified my Audi's engine just looking at the car and told me to bring it in for a cam chain tensioner.

He troubleshooted my friends car via photos sent over text message and then had all the correct parts waiting when he brought it in.

drat. I went to the independent shop that's on my walk to work yesterday morning, the same shop that did my out-of-province inspection. They told me to come back tomorrow morning, and wrote my name & phone number into their hilariously analogue schedule. Now I'm torn - Autologix looks excellent. Their location is far-ish from my current home, but like 2 blocks from my friend's house where I was staying when I first got here. I know the buses in that area and I've been meaning to visit them anyways...

B4Ctom1 posted:

Great idea! I might have to wait until summer to get the most deals?
The best time of year to buy second-hand winter tires is right now. Lazy asses like me don't sell our tires (that don't fit our currently-owned rides) right away, we wait until the snow flies and the demand rises among buyers.

Prices might or might not be better in May, but there's plenty of selection right now.

PaintVagrant posted:

Stupid winter tire question: inflate to the normal pressures indicated on the driver door sticker? Or something else since they are weird voodoo magic tires

Regular, normal pressures.

Unless you bought a set of 4 spiked-with-ice-motocross-studs spare-tire-donuts in a shady back-alley deal under a single flickering sodium-vapour lamp, casting its sickly orange glow over the layers of slush and ice and unmentionable frozen organic fluids as you hand over damp bills to a man wearing a threadbare balaclava and a shiny leather jacket.
Then you need higher pressures. And a shot of Twinrix.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 24, 2015

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

MomJeans420 posted:

*edit*

Cthulhuite posted:

There's a reason all jacks say to use them on a level surface. Please don't kill yourself on your crazy sloped driveway :ohdear:

Seconding. It's no joke. Do not use jacks on any sort of sloped surface.

Jacks only provide up/down support; there's no lateral support to speak up. When you're on a sloped surface, gravity doesn't just pull straight down but ends up giving a lateral force as well. (When you're on a flat surface, the lateral component is zero.) Which is why if you jack up your car on a sloped surface (as in, if any part of your car is on a sloped surface), it is incredibly dangerous because your car is liable to move laterally and fall over on you and kill you.

Don't do it.

vvvv This, too. Don't work under a jack. When working on cars, put them up on the proper equipment.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 24, 2015

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Double-postin' to switch tone.

ICU nurse and Writing God, Elise the Great, mentioned a story about a man crushed by his Honda in the Health Care Stories thread and I asked for some elaboration because the story clearly involved a violation of the first rule of working on your car: NEVER GET UNDER A CAR SUPPORTED BY ONLY A JACK.

WARNING: HORROR

DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE NOT READY TO BE HORRIFIED

elise the great posted:

I don't have a lot of details on the accident, and I cared for the guy during my first year practicing as a nurse, so my memories of his care are a little dim. But I only worked trauma ICU when the MICU was closed for low census, and while I see a lot of blood and cut-up flesh, I rarely see someone who's just been... crushed.

He had been under a car two days before, using a jack. His wife said it was a really good jack, that he had bought it so he could do some relatively minor repair in the driveway, something that required the wheel to be removed. I do remember that the car was a Civic, because my husband (despite his weird Mazda fetish) has a secret soft spot for Civics. I don't know what he was trying to do, but I know that there was some chunk of metal exposed in such a way that when the jack slipped and the car fell, the metal ripped into his side. It glanced off two or three ribs before burying itself in his abdominal wall, lacerating his spleen, shredding a section of colon, and (presumably) leaving him in a pool of blood for his wife to discover when she checked on the noise.

Oh, and it also crushed his face. And his arm. They were ruined.

His right arm had three pins put in it; I guess he'd been working with that arm elevated, and it only sustained a sharp blow. The left, something must have fallen on it and really sat there for a while, it was such a loving mess that the X-ray looked like a black-and-white still-life of a fruit salad with almonds. I'm reasonably sure they amputated it. The ortho surgeon described it as "devastated." Enough of the vasculature had been destroyed that his hand, perfectly intact and normal-looking with wiry hairs lapping neatly over the wrist, was mostly white. A bit of it was healthy and pink, gently mottling out into the larger area of corpse-colored wax. The last three fingertips were so purple they were almost black.

His loving face, though, that poo poo haunts me. Everything was wrecked. Both eyes were missing, but you barely noticed it while you were changing the dressings, because so much of the orbitals was simply missing that the sockets seemed too shallow to house eyes. Nose, totally gone; bones behind nose, crushed to a pulp and removed by surgeons on the left, merely cracked on the right. Cheekbones, gone. Maxilla-- the space between cheek and upper lip-- totally removed on the left side, along with most of his teeth on the left. Chin, shattered, stabilized with wire. Tongue, bitten through on the left, swollen until it spilled out of the space where his lips and teeth used to be.

Some of the skin had been more-or-less stretched over the wounded areas. Chunks of his left cheek, brow, and forehead skin had been grafted into slashes on his abdomen, to keep them healthy until they could be moved back to his face, if he survived long enough for reconstruction. The whole face area was packed with vaseline-impregnated gauze, covered with saline-soaked gauze, wrapped in dry fluffy gauze, still not approximating something that looked human with all the wrappers on-- too concave, too asymmetrical. With the wrappers off, he looked like a half-eaten apple discarded by a toddler.

Worst of all, he had suffered a significant brain injury. Frontal lobe, mostly; he'd been very lucky, and whatever hit him had mostly wrecked his face instead of his cranium. But bone chunks from his shattered sphenoid had lodged in his brain, in the areas where things like emotion and impulse control and self-identity are housed. His pituitary gland had also been hosed pretty hard; it normally sits in a little bone basket behind the bridge of your nose, and having a Honda sit on your face can really ruin its day. His endocrine system was going apeshit. The hormones that controlled his water balance were so far out of whack that he'd started hoarding fluid, and his body bloated up like an over-soaked noodle while his kidneys reluctantly trickled brown sludge into his urinary catheter.

Sorry, did I say "worst of all" yet? My bad. He obviously couldn't breathe through the pile of corned beef hash his face had become, so his throat had been carefully slit and a breathing tube shoved through the hole. Merciful, sort of, since it let us keep his face totally covered most of the time. He really hated the gauze on his face, though.

Because, yeah, I'm gonna say it now: worst of all, he would periodically fight through the incredible amount of sedation we were giving him, and wake up.

Not enough, I hope, to understand what was going on. Not enough to really feel the pain of what had happened, or to respond to commands like "give me a thumbs up" or "wiggle your toes" or "honey, can you hear me, please squeeze my hand." Just enough to try to move his tongue, or to work his jaw, turning his head from side to side to try and escape the gauze. It set the remaining flesh of his face twitching until the bones wrenched. He couldn't speak or even moan, not with the tube in his throat, but he could still try to scream.

At 2000, the surgeon's assistant dropped by to change the dressing with me, to exhort me to keep him on as much pain medication as I could without bottoming out his blood pressure, to explain to me how crucial it was that he not wrench any more bone shards into his brain before they could get the neurosurgery and trauma teams together in the morning, and to give him the first facial nerve block of about six that night to keep his face paralyzed and painless until they could finish cutting it away.

I have no idea what happened to him. It was the week after Christmas. When I came back on January 3, he was gone. He might have been transferred to a larger hospital, or he might have died, and I'm not sure which is better.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

NEVER EVER EVER.. GET UNDER A CAR WITHOUT JACKSTANDS NEVER..
When my kids are around the car while I'm jacking it up they have a 4 foot rule, they aren't allowed to get anywhere close. Then I ask them.. what happens next, "Jackstands". Do you get under a car without jack stands "NO"

I usually do this.
jack car up put jack-stands under.. then tire goes Under frame-rail.. and on the side I"m working on I will also have jack nearby under the car ready to go.

when using a scissor jack on the side of the road (OH GOD I HATE THOSE) I am REALLLY careful and tire always goes under.. legs / body never go under car

honestly I may got an HF and get a jack-stand to put in my car and my wife's car just in case.

e: Adjusted spelling because quick typing and multitasking do not go well for my spelling/typing skills. Mavis Beacon would be sad.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 24, 2015

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tater_salad posted:

re Bluetooth OBDII chat.

I found that Torque didn't work, I did the trial and it would often not read my MPG..
I don't think it had to do with my bluetooth OBDII device I'd get 3 days of reading, a few of not.. usualy re-instlling torque fixed it. I didn't want to pay for an app that didn't work

I picked up dash command which has been flawless for about a year (got my Device last xmas)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.palmerperformance.DashCommand&hl=en ?

I will probably play with a bunch of them since the penalty for error is so low.

tater_salad posted:

I solve this by not owning a jack. :smug:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.palmerperformance.DashCommand&hl=en ?

I will probably play with a bunch of them since the penalty for error is so low.

I solve this by not owning a jack. :smug:

That's the app.

Also not owning a jack doesn't keep you from getting under a car on a scissor jack.. (Oh god please don't do this.. especially don't do this)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

tater_salad posted:

When my kids are around the car while I'm jacking it up they have a 4 foot rule, they aren't allowed to get anywhere close. Then I ask them.. what happens next, "Jackstands". Do you get under a car without jack stands "NO"

I usually do this.
jack car up put jackstands under.. then tire goes Under framerail.. and on the side I"m working on I will also have jack nearby under the car ready to go.

when using a scisor jack on the side of the road (OH GOD I HATE THOSE) I am REALLLY careful and tire alwasy goes under.. legs / body never go under car

honestly I may got o HF and get a jackstand to put in my car and my wife's car just in case.

Absolutely this. And gently caress that horror story. :stare:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tater_salad posted:

scissor jack.. (Oh god please don't do this.. especially don't do this)

gently caress scissor jacks. I sit on my feet when I use them to guarantee I don't do something absentmindedly.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have distinct memories of working on cars with my dad with them supported only by an old school bumper jack (I think they're called). I shudder when I think about it now.

When I was doing the brakes on my dad's Forester (jacked up one corner at a time and supported by the jack, a jack stand, and a wheel under the frame), my sis came over with her kids and my mother brought them into the garage to say hello and/or get some of their toys. I had to tell her at least three times that I didn't want the kids around (with her saying "I understand", then not doing anything) before she took them back inside. I'm sorry if I hurt their feelings, but I didn't need a 2 and 4 year old running around a lifted car.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

ExecuDork posted:

Double-postin' to switch tone.

ICU nurse and Writing God, Elise the Great, mentioned a story about a man crushed by his Honda in the Health Care Stories thread and I asked for some elaboration because the story clearly involved a violation of the first rule of working on your car: NEVER GET UNDER A CAR SUPPORTED BY ONLY A JACK.

WARNING: HORROR

DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE NOT READY TO BE HORRIFIED

You wouldn't happen to have a link to her story about the mother and son, the one where the mother has Alzheimer's /dementia, falls by the fridge, then the son falls too and it's one of the most horrible stories I've ever read? I think it came up in the chat thread recently. But I can't track it down.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

H110Hawk posted:

How does one wade through the sea of Cheap Chinese Crap to find the correct Cheap Chinese Crap? ... thinking about getting a BT OBD2 adapter

Don't buy the little blue ones that populate Amazon. I did and it only worked on 2/6 cars so far. Can't understand how they have thousands of positive reviews. I'm tossing it and buying this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\/\ Now you tell me. I ordered one of those little blue ones from Newegg just the other day! I guess that counts as this week's little gamble.

Bajaha posted:

You wouldn't happen to have a link to her story about the mother and son, the one where the mother has Alzheimer's /dementia, falls by the fridge, then the son falls too and it's one of the most horrible stories I've ever read? I think it came up in the chat thread recently. But I can't track it down.

Not car-related, but it's here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3469571&pagenumber=48&perpage=40#post427104383
:gonk:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ExecuDork posted:

/\/\/\ Now you tell me. I ordered one of those little blue ones from Newegg just the other day! I guess that counts as this week's little gamble.

Not car-related, but it's here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3469571&pagenumber=48&perpage=40#post427104383
:gonk:

It says something about how horrifying that story is... I mean, I know I have read it, but reading it again, I have clearly forgotten it existed. I forgot all the details. My brain tried to wip that poo poo out, and I've read all of Elise's stories.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Always put the tire under the car, along with jackstands, along with the jack itself next to the closest jackstand. My logic is if for whatever reason I'm under the car and something fails and I'm slightly pinned (but miraculously still conscious) I have a jack within arms reach.

My rule is that a car that is jacked up must have five points of contact to the ground (as it is now unstable) plus a failsafe. The jack itself plus a jackstand make five if I'm removing a wheel, and the wheel itself is the failsafe.

May sound over the top, but when you grow up in dirt country, y'know?

Elise's stories are amazing, and I'll admit I get teary-eyed whenever I read her one about the brother/friend that stays by his counterpart's side while he's in a coma while simultaneously working to save money to go home and sleeping in the hospital room's chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Invest in ramps. You can't use them when you need to take a tire off of course, but when you're just changing oil or something, ramps are great.

It's still possible for a car on ramps to fall over but it's a looot harder.