Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think you're going to need more than 64gb hard drive space, but that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

DJ Burette posted:

Yeah I've got 6 mechanical disks already in my current plex rig hence needing the case with loads of hdd spaces. 8gb ram seems sensible and shouldn't cost much more, should probably help with sabnzbd I guess even if it doesn't really directly affect plex from my understanding.

Have you thought about consolidating hard drives?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

sellouts posted:

I think you're going to need more than 64gb hard drive space, but that's just me.

Yeah I'd keep your eye on Amazon's lightning deals around Xmas time. I paid £70 I think for a Samsung EVO 250gb this time last year. I've not even heard of the brand in the OP (they may be amazing for all I know, I don't keep up with hardware much).

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Y'all are quoting the post where he says he's carrying over a whole stack of disks and saying he'll need more space :v:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah but he's using sabnzbd. Is he going to download to those disks, then extract to those disks, then move folders within those disks? What about concurrent downloads, failed downloads, etc.

It's silly. Download to the SSD, repair/extract to the SSD, then move to your NAS array. Get some more space.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll go for the Intel processor and I hadn't thought about needing more 64GB for the SSD but having checked how much room my temporary download folders take up you're probably right to say that I should get a bigger one. I think I'll just wait for black friday and see what kind of deal I can get on all the parts to keep my costs down.

Also HDD consolidation is on the cards but sadly my student budget can't quite cope with that yet.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Follow up on my previos post: Plex app on a fire tv stick and plex server on an n54l is working great. Thanks.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Does Plex for the PS4 still require plexpass?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My friend yesterday was bitching about it so...

Kmlkmljkl
Sep 21, 2014

AT NIGHT I GET SO LONELY I JERK IT FURIOUSLY TO THE SIMS
snip

Kmlkmljkl fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 23, 2015

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Might want to just edit that out, :filez: is a forbidden subject here

Kmlkmljkl
Sep 21, 2014

ah poo poo really?

but isn't plex kinda based around doing just that?

or do you mean SA in general? because I can't seem to find anything related to piracy in the rules

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Kmlkmljkl posted:

ah poo poo really?

but isn't plex kinda based around doing just that?

or do you mean SA in general? because I can't seem to find anything related to piracy in the rules

http://www.somethingawful.com/forum-rules/forum-rules/2/

quote:

No warez. No warez, no cracks, no CD codes, no illegal programs that are used to either crack software or perform any malicious activity. Don't post links, ask for links to download, or otherwise discuss illegal copies of copyrighted works, including movies, books, software, etc. 45-second "sampler" mp3 files are acceptable, within context. ROMs are only allowed if they are out-of-print and unavailable for purchase.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Plex is to be used to organize your legally recorded TV and public domain movies that are available for download. :)

Kmlkmljkl
Sep 21, 2014

Medullah posted:

Plex is to be used to organize your legally recorded TV and public domain movies that are available for download. :)

that explains the extensive file name system :v:

anyway, thanks for the warning, guys

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I use my Plex to store and organise my extensive collection of Linux distros :colbert:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I actually ripped all my DVDs into my Plex library. V:shobon:V

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hey cool the app makes me select a user now when it starts up, but when I am not connected to the Internet it won't pull the list of users to select from.

Glad I synced all of that offline content that I now can't watch!

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

FCKGW posted:

I actually did do this too. I could've learned a new language in the time it took.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

Cornjob posted:

I actually did do this too. I could've learned a new language in the time it took.

Same. Years ago, and it was tedious as poo poo. BluRay even more so. However it can be done.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
The plex app on appletv4 is awesome. Ive kinda forgotten about using kodi.

Ita so good that that the minor issues become even more glaring. My biggest grip with the app is : when you are looking st the plot info for one movie, and the recommendations for other movies is shown below, the are never randomized. It always shows them alphabetically. So if you are viewing a horror movie, the other reccomended horror movies will always be alien, aliens, amityville horror... Etc. youll never see anything beyond the first few letters of the alphabet.

If they can sort out that, and get plex media server to recognize local cover art instead if using its own scraper, it would be as close to perfect as can be reasonably hoped for.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 24, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cornjob posted:

The plex app on appletv4 is awesome. Ive kinda forgotten about using kodi.

Can you confirm what happens with 24p footage, and stuff with DTS, TrueHD etc soundtracks. Those are the main killers for me to getting a new Apple TV as my main frontend (especially the 24p element).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

There's a new media optimizer feature in the early preview build for Plex Pass users: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/ar...2015+Newsletter

Basically it allows you to pre-transcode items in your library and have a transcoded copy that co-exists with your original copy. If someone outside your network requests content that you "optimized" the server obviously won't need to transcode since there's a copy that's ready to be direct played/streamed. This is a good feature for people who have a NAS (or an older PC like the goon below!) as their PMS who have a lot of people accessing it remotely on various devices.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 24, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's really useful for me, my server is a c2d and it struggles if there's more than one conversion running at a time.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Whoops. Didn't mean to post here.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

teagone posted:

There's a new media optimizer feature in the early preview build for Plex Pass users: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/ar...2015+Newsletter

Basically it allows you to pre-transcode items in your library and have a transcoded copy that co-exists with your original copy. If someone outside your network requests content that you "optimized" the server obviously won't need to transcode since there's a copy that's ready to be direct played/streamed. This is a good feature for people who have a NAS (or an older PC like the goon below!) as their PMS who have a lot of people accessing it remotely on various devices.

What a great feature.
I couldn't find it on the Plex pages, does it allow a convert from 5.1 to 2.0 sound? That's what screws me over for Synology to Chromecast viewing right now.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

teagone posted:

Considering how cheap hard drive space is, I'd be tempted to fill some lovely Atom box with drives and have it pre-optimize everything over a painful few weeks, then just have it pre-optimize new items when they appear. That way I could actually turn off my desktop sometimes.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I really don't like this new update. When watching HD content from the web I'm seeing the orange "spin" show up while my video is playing quite a bit. Never had this happen before I applied to update yesterday.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I'm wondering with the optimizer would it be worth converting all of my old dvd rips from avi to mp4 and then deleting the old file or just keep everything as is? Or would it be better to use Handbrake or FF-MPEG do the transcoding?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

diremonk posted:

I'm wondering with the optimizer would it be worth converting all of my old dvd rips from avi to mp4 and then deleting the old file or just keep everything as is? Or would it be better to use Handbrake or FF-MPEG do the transcoding?

I'm not positive why you're asking this. You won't increase the quality by going from avi to mp4.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not positive why you're asking this. You won't increase the quality by going from avi to mp4.

Maybe he's thinking by converting the video to MP4 beforehand the optimizer wouldn't have to do as much work, since client devices generally don't support DVD's original format of MPEG2 but can directplay most forms of h.264 just fine?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

TheScott2K posted:

Maybe he's thinking by converting the video to MP4 beforehand the optimizer wouldn't have to do as much work, since client devices generally don't support DVD's original format of MPEG2 but can directplay most forms of h.264 just fine?

Well he's already got them as avi's, so they're not MPEG2.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

If anyone needs a spare client device for Plex, the Amazon Fire TV stick is on sale for $24.99 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GDQ0RMG...pf_rd_i=desktop

An extra $10 gets you the stick with the newer voice control remote.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Well he's already got them as avi's, so they're not MPEG2.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I'd like to eventually have a majority of my files in a format that doesn't need to be transposed since I share my plex library with my sister and parents. While the system that I have plex installed on is decently gast (old i7 core) I'd like to try and cut down on the comments I get about it taking a long time to actually start the video.

I was trying to figure out what would be the best thing to do either use handbrake to convert the videos or let plex optimize them and then delete the originals. I'm not really wanting to do it to save on space, it's more of speeding things up for people.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Are you sure that is going to solve the problem? How much upload speed do you have / how much down do they?

When I remote stream off of my Mac mini it takes less than 10 seconds to start and doesn't buffer beyond that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

diremonk posted:

Sorry I wasn't clear. I'd like to eventually have a majority of my files in a format that doesn't need to be transposed since I share my plex library with my sister and parents. While the system that I have plex installed on is decently gast (old i7 core) I'd like to try and cut down on the comments I get about it taking a long time to actually start the video.

I was trying to figure out what would be the best thing to do either use handbrake to convert the videos or let plex optimize them and then delete the originals. I'm not really wanting to do it to save on space, it's more of speeding things up for people.

Honestly .avi rips of DVDs shouldn't taxing to transcode and are directplay-capable for lots of client devices, so format may not be the problem. My years-old Phenom II 955 has no trouble with bigass 1080p BluRay rips. Your i7 may be old but it's still an i7 and transcoding really doesn't take that much CPU power. If you're getting comments about how long it takes to start an SD video I'd be curious what their downstream is, what your upstream is, and how everyone is connected to their network.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I'm in favour of transcoding everything to mp4, you'll lose a little quality but it will just work on everything without a transcoding server

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Avi, mkv, and mp4 are all basically the same thing. They are containers for compressed video. The type of container will have little bearing on whether they can be transcoded. The codec the video is compressed with is much more important than the container type when it comes to transcoding and direct playing. If the video was originally encoded with an obscure or inefficient codec that is the issue, not that the video is contained within an avi file.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
well i know that but right now h264/aac in an mp4 container is the most compatible video format

airplaying a video through mobile safari to my appletv is very convenient and you need mp4 to do that

i still keep mkv for hd video though, for me SD video is for mobile and should work without 3rd party players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

diremonk posted:

Are you sure the video is being transcoded?

Even if it is, transcoding a standard definition avi is basically no work for an i7, so it seems odd that would be the cause of it taking a long time to start the video.

I guess the best thing to do is try it out rather than all of us sitting around speculating...

Personally, I'd just let Plex do its optimize thing (if it turns out it cuts that time to start video) unless you've just got a small number of DVDs, because gently caress spending all that time with Handbrake.