Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Davincie posted:

i went to the game store and those were all the ps3 rpgs available outside of the copy of rorona i returned several months ago

That is one awful gamestore. I recommend shopping on PSN instead. There are plenty of great games available digitally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I wanted WKC to be good. The first preview looked soooo neat. And then I played the demo at sdcc and it was the most deflating thing. That is my PS3 RPG disappointment story.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The only problem with Liam's Lezard Valeth is that he has to compete with Koyasu and that isn't a battle he can win.

Bro, if there's someone who can chew scenery harder than Liam O'Brian going full ham you have to link that poo poo.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Good PS3 RPGs

Disgaea 4
Disgaea D2
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Xillia 2
Tales of Graces F
Tales of Zestiria
Lightning Returns
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2
Demon Souls
Folklore
Ar No Surge
Nier
Either of the Kingdom Hearts HD collections
Valkyria Chronicles
3d Dot Game Heroes
Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Some of these I wouldn't call RPGs, but yeah those are all games you should check out. A surprisingly good post considering who wrote it!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TTR knows that the easiest way to lie is to mix it in with just enough of the truth.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Getsuya posted:

That is one awful gamestore. I recommend shopping on PSN instead. There are plenty of great games available digitally.

i had a gift card :(

the new valkyria has permadeath, good sign imo

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Neptunia Re:Birth 1 is on sale for $6 on http://www.wingamestore.com/product/4289/Hyperdimension-Neptunia-ReBirth1/

I think this is supposed to be one of the good (for a certain value of good) Neptunias? So I might go for it, for $6 there's not that much to lose.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There are no good Neptunias.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

There are no good Neptunias.

Only great Neptunias.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

bloodychill posted:

I wanted WKC to be good. The first preview looked soooo neat. And then I played the demo at sdcc and it was the most deflating thing. That is my PS3 RPG disappointment story.

What happened to it? I recall wanting to play it because I loved Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

hanales posted:

What happened to it? I recall wanting to play it because I loved Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy

It was just aggressively mediocre in all respects. The saving grace was the online town building multiplayer poo poo, but they turned that off so there is literally no reason to play it.

I made it all the way through during a real lull in entertainment and while I got my money's worth, it's hard to recommend.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

bloodychill posted:

Akihiro Hino might be the best businessman currently in Japan but he and his studio haven't been very good at designing RPGs. White Knight Chronicles was a very ambitious concept but you can tell something went wrong in its lengthy development.

Nonetheless, Level 5 got Sony to fund a AAA game while they transitioned into self-publishing. I guess that's a win for Hino.

hanales posted:

The initial reveal was a proof of concept trailer rather than actual gameplay footage. This isn't new if you've been following Level 5. In interviews, Level 5 said the multiplayer/community portion of the game significantly contributed to the game's delays.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sunning posted:

The initial reveal was a proof of concept trailer rather than actual gameplay footage. This isn't new if you've been following Level 5. In interviews, Level 5 said the multiplayer/community portion of the game significantly contributed to the game's delays.

You know when people get mad when someone announces that multiplayer is being added to a game? This is the sort of reason why.

Also I'd like a Dark Cloud 3. That'd just be dandy, please. Anytime soon is fine, thanks Level 5.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Bro, if there's someone who can chew scenery harder than Liam O'Brian going full ham you have to link that poo poo.

Takehito Koyasu is basically the Japanese version of Liam O'Brian. The name I can best name for him if you're not someone who already recognizes his name is "he's Dio from JoJos."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuW7ikPEMPQ

This is the only example I have onhand if you can forgive the low audio and crappy quality. It was recorded... gently caress, it was recorded almost a decade ago with a lovely capture card that I got free with my computer, but y'know.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

I am no expert on Japanese VAs but if you want someone hammier than Liam....
https://youtu.be/E0yr8WdYS8M?t=2m14s

Of course, Freeman has the unfair advantage of being in a better series.

also why didn't Caius tear off his own head if he was immortal

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's a reaaaal toss-up to say Xenosaga is better than ff13. Like 13 is a poo poo ton of cutscenes, but Xenosaga did the whole movie poo poo waaaay before MGS4 did it.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
As far as scenery chewing goes, I've always been fond of Gig in Soul Nomad, simply because Yuri Lowenthal is clearly having the time of his life.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Fire Emblem Awakening is on sale on the eshop for 28 bucks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

It's a reaaaal toss-up to say Xenosaga is better than ff13. Like 13 is a poo poo ton of cutscenes, but Xenosaga did the whole movie poo poo waaaay before MGS4 did it.

Except Xenosaga had legitimate problems with half their budget being outright stolen to make FFVIII. FFXIII was badly made from the ground up with a design ethos that ran "we made these sweet cutscenes... we should probably link them together with gameplay somehow...".

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except Xenosaga had legitimate problems with half their budget being outright stolen to make FFVIII.

You're thinking of Xenogears. Xenosaga came quite a bit after VIII.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except Xenosaga had legitimate problems with half their budget being outright stolen to make FFVIII. FFXIII was badly made from the ground up with a design ethos that ran "we made these sweet cutscenes... we should probably link them together with gameplay somehow...".

Xenosaga and Xenogears are not the same game.

Xenogears got its budget cut in favor of FFVIII

Xenosaga was just badly done.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Amppelix posted:

Neptunia Re:Birth 1 is on sale for $6 on http://www.wingamestore.com/product/4289/Hyperdimension-Neptunia-ReBirth1/

I think this is supposed to be one of the good (for a certain value of good) Neptunias? So I might go for it, for $6 there's not that much to lose.

As Neptunias go, it's okay. The only truly unplayable Neptunia is the (un-remade) original. The rest all range from playable to actually fun if you're into that sort of thing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Xenosaga cut their game in half into two games, except the 2nd one was redone in some really horrible uncanny valley-esque graphics, they didn't hire back most of the VA's (and somehow came back for the third???), and the battle system was one of the worst turn-based experiences I've ever played.

It explains a lot when the team designers said "Uh, we didn't really know how to make video game"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Xenosaga cut their game in half into two games, except the 2nd one was redone in some really horrible uncanny valley-esque graphics, they didn't hire back most of the VA's (and somehow came back for the third???), and the battle system was one of the worst turn-based experiences I've ever played.

It explains a lot when the team designers said "Uh, we didn't really know how to make video game"

Xenosaga was one of the many attempts to create a long-term series of episodic games only it didn't have the popularity to sustain it despite heavy marketing efforts. They really wanted to do a full 7-game series despite not having enough to actually fill that and the end result was terrible for everyone involved.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm playing Valkyrie Profile for the first time and getting the A ending really seems like a pain in the balls. Is the normal ending okay to settle on for a first playthrough and can you replay it fairly quickly once you've done it once?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'm playing Valkyrie Profile for the first time and getting the A ending really seems like a pain in the balls. Is the normal ending okay to settle on for a first playthrough and can you replay it fairly quickly once you've done it once?

Yes and yes, though the normal ending is pretty unsatisfying and I think most of the bonus dungeon is locked behind going for the A ending.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Get the A ending. It's actually really easy and not frustrating. It mostly amounts to "get all the cutscenes", which you want to do anyways.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

It's honestly not as big a pain as it sounds.

Here's the big secret about the VP A ending: It's really really easy to get. You just have to do all the side visits in a chapter. The hard part is doing it while also maintaining the highest possible point value so Odin gives you extra shinies. If you don't care about those extra shinies then all you have to do is keep Odin barely happy enough not to kick your rear end while doing all the sidequests.

The thing people talk about where they go "you have to follow a FAQ" are talking about a very specific set of steps to get the low seal rating while also getting a high Approval Rating from Odin. If you basically tell Odin to gently caress off then you can get the A ending really easily.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So all the stipulations like 'don't visit this area in chapter 2 or talk to this guy in chapter 4' aren't strictly neccessary?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

A Steampunk Gent posted:

So all the stipulations like 'don't visit this area in chapter 2 or talk to this guy in chapter 4' aren't strictly neccessary?

I mean, following a guide makes it a ton easier but like it's only telling you things you want to do anyways. Nothing it tells you to do is particularly hard.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tae posted:

Namco were upset when Xenosaga Episode 1 did well but failed to bring in sales on par with a Final Fantasy game. So they handed the reins over to a whole different group of folks - different director, writer, etc. - and had them do Episode II. Then even the people who liked Episode 1 were put off so they had to scramble to fix everything by bringing back the old director and some key voice-actors to appease the fanbase.

The result is an interesting, if crazy, developmental cycle that was too ambitious for its own good. Also some great music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrBk3oZ2jc0

But Xenosaga is a part of my childhood and I would definitely say all the games save Episode 2 are better than XIII or XIII-2.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think I'll skip the guide and see how far I can get using my own, thanks for the advice folks!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Basically here is the key things you need:

Your Seal Rating (look in Lenneth's status screen where hero rating is for other characters) needs to be below 38 by the start of Chapter 7.
You need to see the events involving Lezard and Mystina and recruit Mystina. You can't miss this if you Spiritual Concentration.
You need to recruit Lucian. Same as above.
Lucian must be sent to Valhalla before Chapter 7. This is easy because he is literally perfect for Odin's request so the game encourages you to send him up.

Of those events, the Lezard and Mystina chain gives you -30 Seal total. Recruiting Lucian gives you -20. Sending him to Valhalla gives you +12. (This happens with every Einherjar.)
Every other event in the game gives you -seal rating. Several major events give you -15 each. As long as you have done all the above you'll be on the A ending path. The thing that catches people is that +12 for sending up Einherjar. To get around that you either have to balance hitting ALL the events (so your Seal rating is rock bottom and you can deal with a few +12s) or by offering a ton of dungeon items to Odin to keep your Evaluation high without sending Einherjar. Or just don't send anyone but Lucian up from Chapter 4-6 which you can survive if you've been doing well prior to that.

The only thing to watch out for is that you should NOT leave Lezard's Tower once a cutscene takes you there. Finish the dungeon without leaving.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 26, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NikkolasKing posted:

Namco were upset when Xenosaga Episode 1 did well but failed to bring in sales on par with a Final Fantasy game. So they handed the reins over to a whole different group of folks - different director, writer, etc. - and had them do Episode II. Then even the people who liked Episode 1 were put off so they had to scramble to fix everything by bringing back the old director and some key voice-actors to appease the fanbase.

The result is an interesting, if crazy, developmental cycle that was too ambitious for its own good. Also some great music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrBk3oZ2jc0

But Xenosaga is a part of my childhood and I would definitely say all the games save Episode 2 are better than XIII or XIII-2.

Releasing only the second episode outside the US didnt help either.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm surprised how expensive the second and third xenosaga games are, they rival .hack.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Releasing only the second episode outside the US didnt help either.

That dvd that had all the cutscenes of episode 1 is a really good replacement

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

That dvd that had all the cutscenes of episode 1 is a really good replacement

It kind of isn't. It actually cuts out a huge chunk of the plot. (The Cathedral Ship is missing a ton of cutscenes for example for some reason.) It's a really bizarre video if you actually watch it. Which I did because I was a teenager with too much free time and a love for goofy melodrama.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's also incredibly loving grainy.

It's better than the anime, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Basically here is the key things you need:

Your Seal Rating (look in Lenneth's status screen where hero rating is for other characters) needs to be below 38 by the start of Chapter 7.
You need to see the events involving Lezard and Mystina and recruit Mystina. You can't miss this if you Spiritual Concentration.
You need to recruit Lucian. Same as above.
Lucian must be sent to Valhalla before Chapter 7. This is easy because he is literally perfect for Odin's request so the game encourages you to send him up.

Of those events, the Lezard and Mystina chain gives you -30 Seal total. Recruiting Lucian gives you -20. Sending him to Valhalla gives you +12. (This happens with every Einherjar.)
Every other event in the game gives you -seal rating. Several major events give you -15 each. As long as you have done all the above you'll be on the A ending path. The thing that catches people is that +12 for sending up Einherjar. To get around that you either have to balance hitting ALL the events (so your Seal rating is rock bottom and you can deal with a few +12s) or by offering a ton of dungeon items to Odin to keep your Evaluation high without sending Einherjar. Or just don't send anyone but Lucian up from Chapter 4-6 which you can survive if you've been doing well prior to that.

The only thing to watch out for is that you should NOT leave Lezard's Tower once a cutscene takes you there. Finish the dungeon without leaving.

Also, never end a chapter with the Nibelungen Ring equipped. iirc it's +2 seal each chapter if you do.