Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gologle posted:

Link to the Past was the last time I was ever happy playing a video game. Really, it was the last time I was happy doing anything ever.

Get a 3DS and play A Link Between Worlds. It's amazing how much it replicates that feeling of playing LttP. Seriously felt like a loving kid again.

Alternatively, get some medication for depression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I do have a 3DS. That's how I played Bravely Default.

I just want Lightning to return to PC so I can mod her as Kain from FF4 and pretend that Kain is saving the world from a giant moon man riding his moon ship in between FF4 and FF4: The Golden Girls.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Gologle posted:

Link to the Past was the last time I was ever happy playing a video game. Really, it was the last time I was happy doing anything ever.

I think you should see a doctor, Gologle.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Gologle posted:

I just want Lightning to return to PC so I can mod her as Kain from FF4 and pretend that Kain is saving the world from a giant moon man riding his moon ship in between FF4 and FF4: The Golden Girls.

I think this is a good idea.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

My issue with a lot of video game stories is poor execution. You can write a pretty complex and intricate story with a lot of potential to it, but if you gently caress up the execution then it's pretty much a waste. Just look at Fallout 4 and how, despite the story having potential (I genuinely liked the story up until a certain point), ends up being poo poo when compared to, say, a game where a guy finds redemption thanks to his dad Space Jesus and ends up riding a space whale to the moon to meet his moon uncle so they can team up to beat up a giant robot controlled by the main character's brother who was brainwashed by another moon man. The latter is loving ridiculous in concept but is still presented in a way that is engaging enough to at the very least not piss you off over what could have been.

It's much much easier to write character arcs in stories where the player has little to no impact vs character arcs where your character can shoot a major character as soon as they appear and then eat them,

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gologle posted:

Source your quotes and/or get meds.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gologle posted:

Dorothy is OP as hell. Can solo the whole game as her. Just keep summoning Stan.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Gologle posted:

there's a Kain outfit iirc

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

Source your quotes and/or get meds.

It's Gologle.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

there's a Kain outfit iirc

No hat though

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Then I'll mod the game to dress up as Ceodore.

EDIT: Wait, no, with the advances in PC modding technology, we can go further. We can go much further. I'll commission a Harry Dresden mod. Leave the voices intact though, Lightning is not a slut like Commander Shepherd.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I had a PS4 for a while and got a hankering to play LR. Didn't realize there was no way to play it on the PS4 and was all :( Looking forward to the Steam version so I can finish it this time.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You think Lightning's returning so you can remove her? What kind of strange individual are you? Please do not disrespect Lightning.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

It's much much easier to write character arcs in stories where the player has little to no impact vs character arcs where your character can shoot a major character as soon as they appear and then eat them,

As you pointed out, New Vegas was actually better about it than FO4. I think they did it by dedicating a lot of time to designing and developing game factions and associated characters while tightening up the location and scenario direction so that most locations tied to factions and their quests. FO4 is a lot looser.

I'm actually curious how SE is approaching this since FF15 is set to be open world to a fair extent but expectation amongst players is a strong story narrative and developed character arcs that have become the signature of the series.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

bloodychill posted:

As you pointed out, New Vegas was actually better about it than FO4. I think they did it by dedicating a lot of time to designing and developing game factions and associated characters while tightening up the location and scenario direction so that most locations tied to factions and their quests. FO4 is a lot looser.

I'm actually curious how SE is approaching this since FF15 is set to be open world to a fair extent but expectation amongst players is a strong story narrative and developed character arcs that have become the signature of the series.
Its obviously different teams and there's a whole body of modern work of it being done better, but with a certain amount of squinting FF6-8 and 12 (and I guess 9? but it seems on rails for longer than the other 4) were kind of revolutionary for implementing the idea of ocean wide puddle deep meaningless sidequests . I'm sure the meshing of meaningless side junk (or lack thereof) with the main narrative will probably be the least of our worries for the game in development hell for a decade.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

bloodychill posted:

It will probably be like FFXII or Dragon Age Inquisition where you have areas segmented into MMO-esq zones that open up as you progress through the story. So 'oh no, the car broke down and we can't cross into the next zone on foot' followed by 'oh no, a huge boulder is blocking the road that leads to the next zone,' and 'oh no, an eighteen vehicle pileup is blocking the highway and the prom is tomorrow!' You can go back to previously unlocked areas and do sidequests/hunts in them. I think that's the best way to balance the market's expectations and what the development team can actually pull off.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sunning posted:

It will probably be like FFXII or Dragon Age Inquisition where you have areas segmented into MMO-esq zones that open up as you progress through the story. So 'oh no, the car broke down and we can't cross into the next zone on foot' followed by 'oh no, a huge boulder is blocking the road that leads to the next zone,' and 'oh no, an eighteen vehicle pileup is blocking the highway and the prom is tomorrow!' You can go back to previously unlocked areas and do sidequests/hunts in them. I think that's the best way to balance the market's expectations and what the development team can actually pull off.

It's not a bad way to go. Trying to out-Skyrim western developers would probably not end well.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

bloodychill posted:

It's not a bad way to go. Trying to out-Skyrim western developers would probably not end well.

It'd be hilarious to watch them try though.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

how come kain is still so over

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Evil Fluffy posted:

It'd be hilarious to watch them try though.

Monolith-Soft already did a pretty good job of out open worlding Skyrim with XBX, so I can't imagine any game having more poo poo happening at once at this point.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sunning posted:

Snorlax is sleeping in the road...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sorry, Fat Chocobo.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

We started dancing here for no reason. One day we'll be gone for no reason!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I obtained a copy of Lightning Returns Final Fantasy 13 today.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is your computer that bad?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
yeah

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gologle posted:

I guess you could say that you are looking for a "link" to that "past"

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Artix posted:

Starting at the weather machine?

1) You fight the dragon on the plains, cutting off the flow of flans to the Sunleth Waterscape. You go back there and fight Royal Ripeness again, but since he's cut off he actually dies this time. After completing the fight, Snow vanishes because he's not supposed to be in tha.t time period, and you've resolved the paradox.

2) After the Sunleth Waterscape, you go to Academia 400, which is where the Academy HQ is, as well as basically being the capital city of human society on Pulse. Anyway, Hope headed up a project to build an artificial Fal'Cie which is now ruling over the city. When Serah and Noel arrive, he recognizes them and panics, turning all the citizens into Cie'th to fight you. None of the enemies are strong, but you seriously get in a fight something like every 10 or so steps, it's awful. While in Academia, you meet Caius who tells you that your mere existence is a paradox because you were supposed to die 200 years ago. Serah starts to panic about this, but Noel snaps her out of it and you move on. Eventually you meet Yeul, who gives you an artefact and is immediately killed by Zenobia (the one undying you never fought from 13). After a boss battle, you unlock the gate to Augusta Tower 200.

3) Seeing as Caius told you that you were supposed to die 200 years ago, Serah and Noel immediately decide that they might as well go see what happened. So you go to Augusta Tower and find out that your progress is stymied by a gap of about 10 feet, requiring you to spend a bunch of time looking for Augusta Tower 300 so you can find the key to lower a bridge and cross this gap. Once that errand is over, you meet a replicant of Alyssa who takes you up the tower. On the way up, a paradox effect happens and you learn "the forbidden history," which is basically just that Hope was assassinated way back when and the machines and the AI have been running the academy ever since. This is apparently grounds for execution according to Caius. :iiam: At the top of the tower, you encounter Yeul again, and she tells you that she believes in you, even though you changing the future will kill her. You enter a VR space and fight Adam (the rogue Fal'Cie), but eventually you reach the point where you can't kill him because he regenerates. Serah, thinking outside the box, yells at Hope through time and space causing him to abandon the Fal'Cie plan and destroying Adam because he was never created.

4) In the new Academia 4xx, you meet Hope and Alyssa who explain that since they had to abandon the Fal'Cie project, they need another way of levitating the new Cocoon. This time, his grand plan is a substance called Graviton Cores, a small rock that gives off immense anti-gravity energy. They need five of them, but they're scattered throughout the timeline so Serah and Noel have to do all the dirty work. Once you track them down, Hope takes them and Alyssa gives you an artefact for a gate that was just repaired in town. Before you leave, Noel mentions that this could lead toward the final confrontation with Caius, and Alyssa and Hope see you off at the gate.

5) Once you go through the gate, it turns out it was a trap. Serah and Noel are separated, and both of them are attacked by Caius. Serah sees a few Yeuls along the way, and gets a bunch of plot dumps basically explaining that Etro is behind everything. She gave Serah (and Yeul) the power to see the future, she's keeping the gate and the world destroying Chaos contained in Valhalla, etc, etc. Caius tells Serah that she's a massive gently caress up and then kills her, sending her into a dream world.

6) In her dream world, Serah is back at New Bodhum with Lightning, Snow, and all the gang. Lightning tells her this is what she wants and asks her to stay, but Serah refuses and runs off. Back where the meteor landed, Fang and Vanille appear for like 2 minutes and open a rift so that Serah can leave. Following that leads her to Noel's world, where we briefly see him fight with Caius and Yeul, and he's left on his own. After walking around for a bit and feeling sorry for himself, he eventually goes to kill himself but Serah reaches out to him and brings him back. Immediately afterwards, you get a Gogmagog fight because????? After going back to Noel's village, you find an Oracle Drive that shows that Caius is behind everything, he's known the entire timeline the whole time and he's been manipulating it to get what he wants. Another rift takes you to where Lightning is, and you get to chat with her for a bit, mostly going over stuff Yeul told you earlier. She also mentions that Caius is immortal because of the Heart of Etro, a literal manifestation of her power in his chest.

7) After all that bullshit is done and over with, you unlock Academia 500, which is where Caius is waiting. After a bunch of platforming, Yeul tells you that you can't kill Caius because Etro is the only thing holding back the Chaos from devouring the world. Noel and Serah press on, and eventually reach the Academy just as the new Cocoon is launching. Caius appears and starts the final boss fight, saying that Serah and Yeul are the same, why won't you understand, etc etc. Serah retorts back that she doesn't care and she will gladly trade her own life for the world. After a couple forms, you end up in Valhalla where you fight the fucker two more times until eventually he's finally beaten. Noel slashes him through the chest, destroying the Heart of Chaos and killing Caius for good. Afterwards, Serah and Noel return to Academia 500 where Hope and everyone are waiting for them, but after they return she has a vision and dies. Shortly thereafter, Hope meets up with Noel and asks what happened, before Mog falls to the ground and says "The Goddess is dead." And right on cue, the chaos that Etro was holding back swarms in the world and basically destroys everything. The final image before the end of the game is a picture of Lightning as a crystal on Etro's throne and "TO BE CONTINUED..." in big white letters.

Or the short version:

Chrono Cross makes more sense

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I dunno, pretty sure Chrono Cross only gets confusing at the very, very end.

From what I hear, Wild Arms 2 might be what you're looking for in terms of WTF.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I reckon most games would be confusing if you took out the first 15 hours or so

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno, pretty sure Chrono Cross only gets confusing at the very, very end.

From what I hear, Wild Arms 2 might be what you're looking for in terms of WTF.

Well, the main villain of that game is a sentient parallel universe, the people in that game are probably crazier than in FFVII and your boss has sex with his sister.

That said it also only ramps up the crazy on the second disc and a pretty major reason to why it all feels like such a strange fever dream is the infamous translation.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Kanfy posted:

That said it also only ramps up the crazy on the second disc and a pretty major reason to why it all feels like such a strange fever dream is the infamous translation.

That last line is actually great, but yeah WA2 is weird as hell. Wild ARMS is still pretty good, if you skip the remake.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm thinking of buying Type-0 of the S-E store, but it doesn't explain what they mean by "PC download". Do you get a file like with GOG or do you need to use some external service like with GMG?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
[MAD MOUNTAINS] is either a really lovely Stand or an amazing weapon.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Renoistic posted:

I'm thinking of buying Type-0 of the S-E store, but it doesn't explain what they mean by "PC download". Do you get a file like with GOG or do you need to use some external service like with GMG?

It's a Steamworks game, it should be a Steam key. Got Life is Strange yesterday from the same store, Steam key.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Saoshyant posted:

It's a Steamworks game, it should be a Steam key. Got Life is Strange yesterday from the same store, Steam key.

Cool, thanks!

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

Sorry, Fat Chocobo.

This is 100% acceptable imho.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Type-0, does it still come with the FFXV demo? Bought a copy on Amazon so it hasn't arrived yet, but I assume by this point it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A new copy does, but i'm p sure it might just be first print copies. It's weird because I think someone reported a while ago they got a copy of the game well after it was released and it still had it.