Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'm sure a future Tri movie will pay a visit to the hospitalized 02 kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I just hope they don't quickly reintroduce them and end up making Imperialdramon Paladin Mode, rendering a dozen characters pointless instead of the usual half dozen :v:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Imperialdramon is on the second poster.

They're involved. There's no use pretending they're not.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
My presumption is Imperialdramon ended up infected after losing the battle with Alphamon, and will be the central problem of the next movie given that Tai might naturally balk at destroying the digimon of two of his friends, even if they are brainwashed.

I grant it's an interesting solution to the problem of how to acknowledge 02 without allowing the characters from it to take over the plot.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Or "they're saving the 02 digimon and humans for future installments so they can promote the new voice actors and merchandise and build up hype for the next few parts".

I don't understand why people think that they're motivated by a bunch of angry westerners' anger over the second season. As I said earlier in the thread, 02 is the most successful digimon series of them all. It made tons of money, it was the highest rated, it had the most merchandise, music, drama cds, and tons of other things. Hell, the new mobile game managed to earn 50,000 pre-registrants because they promised V-mon!

02 has lots of problems, but tri. isn't the way it is because they're trying to distance themselves from it. It's for plot and marketing reasons; to get them out of the way so they can be maneuvered into the position where they're ready to reintroduce them, mark my words. Megahouse just announced a new line of figures based on 02 for crying out loud! The audience that actually matters to Toei has no issue with it.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Hello DigiGoons, I just wanted to post and say that I ordered one of the promotional posters for Reunion off eBay because that art is kickin' rad and I want it in my home. Also I hope that "Analogboy" in Digimon World: Next Order turns out to genuinely be the protag from DW1 because I played the DW games a lot as a kid. That and I like the idea of these games actually connecting and not genre shifting every time like they did on PS1. Oh and I played some of the fan translation for Re:Digitize last night, and it is literally "Digimon World 1 Again" and between that, Analogboy, and Tri I'm so giddy because Digimon's come back to what feels familiar to me. I know ReDigitize is years old by now but still

I do need to watch Tamers again and give the seasons after that a chance but man, just loving everything right now. I was always the weirdo that preferred Digimon to Pokemon and seeing Tri just sparked that in me again. This was a meandering post, please blame alcohol. This has been a really good thread to read though I'm glad it's here.

MykonosFan fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 28, 2015

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
My evidence is more coached in the fact Imperialdramon's head is rendered in dark purples and appears to be doing its best Jaws impression on the latest poster.

I grant you have a point, but note that if there's one Japanese franchise out there where the international market may actually be on their radar, it's Digimon. Digimon has always had a surprisingly resilient presence in international territories and traditionally formed a core bastion of Toei's influence in markets of those regions.

Classy Hydra fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 28, 2015

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

In the sense that they've handed it off and readily gone "Here you go, dub this for us."

They've never really ever shown or been aware that a vocal minority of American fans don't like 02. If Imperialdramon is corrupted somehow I doubt that it's for the sake of destroying the characters. I mean 02 did the exact same plot line with Agumon.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Nov 28, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Classy Hydra posted:

My evidence is more coached in the fact Imperialdramon's head is rendered in dark purples and appears to be doing its best Jaws impression on the latest poster.

I grant you have a point, but note that if there's one Japanese franchise out there where the international market may actually be on their radar, it's Digimon. Digimon has always had a surprisingly resilient presence in international territories and traditionally formed a core bastion of Toei's influence in markets of those regions.

More likely it's cause there's already a Black/Virus version of ImperialDramon

Also if Hawkmon and Armadimon have been similarly corrupted, and also show up in Ultimate/Mega stage, wonder what they'd turn into since they can't Jogress like V-mon and Wormmon can, for Hawkmon at least it'd probably be something like Ornismon, not sure what Armadimon would turn into though, he's always been a bit harder to sort out in that regard(with Shakkomon at least you could just have him evolve to SlashAngemon or ClavisAngemon)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Man.

Please don't turn Iori's partner into YetAnotherAngemon. It's all wrong for him.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

Man.

Please don't turn Iori's partner into YetAnotherAngemon. It's all wrong for him.

Well I was only suggesting that as a Shakkomon evolution, and without being able to form him, Armadimon now needs a new Perfect and Ultimate stage to evolve into

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Or they could just start having them evolve into Silphymon and Shakkoumon on their own.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

Or they could just start having them evolve into Silphymon and Shakkoumon on their own.

Personally I'd rather they get new ones cause both Silphymon and Shakkomon were pretty drat boring back in 02(I remember the latter's debut being one of the single biggest disappointments I had that entire series, along with Ken never using his Crest and Dagomon never properly showing up)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Silphymon is fine in my book. His abilities are rather imaginative for a bird Digimon (I love Garudamon but "bird + fire" is low hanging fruit). And Shakkoumon is both unique in terms of abilities and nontypical for a partner digimon.

More importantly though Toei has never much cared for revising evolution lines. The ones that appeared on the show are iconic to their respective characters. They're not gonna change them at all.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dagomon never appeared because elder gods were usually just mentioned and barely appeared on Lovecraftian texts. It keeps a real WTF air about it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Konaka has also stated he never wrote that episode with a follow up in mind.

I dunno. Over a decade later, I think the World of Darkness not getting any answers regarding it was the entire point. It's creepy and mysterious. The end.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also the Tri movie was pretty mediocre huh...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TFRazorsaw posted:

More importantly though Toei has never much cared for revising evolution lines. The ones that appeared on the show are iconic to their respective characters. They're not gonna change them at all.

This is not true. Two of the Adventure lines have been changed back and forth from the time we got their Megas that never appeared in the show until now. Is Tailmon's Mega Holydramon (Hurricane Touchdown, Digivice) or is it Ophanimon (Battle Spirit 1.5, PSP game)? Is Gomamon's Plesiomon (original material) or is it Vikemon (current material, including Determination)?

drrockso20 posted:

Also if Hawkmon and Armadimon have been similarly corrupted, and also show up in Ultimate/Mega stage, wonder what they'd turn into since they can't Jogress like V-mon and Wormmon can, for Hawkmon at least it'd probably be something like Ornismon, not sure what Armadimon would turn into though, he's always been a bit harder to sort out in that regard(with Shakkomon at least you could just have him evolve to SlashAngemon or ClavisAngemon)

Following their official evolution lines, they should become Valkyrimon and Vikemon, respectively. Of course, if they do appear in their Mega forms (which I doubt), the latter can't happen since it is now Gomamon's Mega stage and that is confirmed to appear.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

It was actually really good.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

No?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So what was the reason for splitting tri up into episodes for the US release? I watched the first 2 and was complaining about the glacial pacing until I looked up that the whole thing was a single movie in Japan.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

jivjov posted:

So what was the reason for splitting tri up into episodes for the US release? I watched the first 2 and was complaining about the glacial pacing until I looked up that the whole thing was a single movie in Japan.

Because it's easier to rack up views.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

Or "they're saving the 02 digimon and humans for future installments so they can promote the new voice actors and merchandise and build up hype for the next few parts".

I don't understand why people think that they're motivated by a bunch of angry westerners' anger over the second season. As I said earlier in the thread, 02 is the most successful digimon series of them all. It made tons of money, it was the highest rated, it had the most merchandise, music, drama cds, and tons of other things. Hell, the new mobile game managed to earn 50,000 pre-registrants because they promised V-mon!

02 has lots of problems, but tri. isn't the way it is because they're trying to distance themselves from it. It's for plot and marketing reasons; to get them out of the way so they can be maneuvered into the position where they're ready to reintroduce them, mark my words. Megahouse just announced a new line of figures based on 02 for crying out loud! The audience that actually matters to Toei has no issue with it.

You do know that critically, 02 didn't do well in Japan either right?

Like, the anger towards that finale is kind of universal.

We'll see what happens but something is weird as far as season 2 is concerned. We know that Imperialdramon is showing up in the next movie, but we also know that he'll be corrupted, which brings to question where the season 2 cast IS.

And considering Alphamon is involved, and supposedly has time fuckery as part of his power set, that could lead to a lot of interesting things.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I am hoping for more of the 02 crew and hope Tri does interesting things with them, particularly since Ken is the best DD aside from Mimi.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is not true. Two of the Adventure lines have been changed back and forth from the time we got their Megas that never appeared in the show until now. Is Tailmon's Mega Holydramon (Hurricane Touchdown, Digivice) or is it Ophanimon (Battle Spirit 1.5, PSP game)? Is Gomamon's Plesiomon (original material) or is it Vikemon (current material, including Determination)?

I'm talking about stuff that's on-screen, part of the show's canon. Something that's set in stone and not done in an alternate source of media or a noncanonical side story.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm talking about stuff that's on-screen, part of the show's canon. Something that's set in stone and not done in an alternate source of media or a noncanonical side story.

If that's the case then you're still wrong.

None of the Ultimate or Mega Levels of the Season 2 cast (with obvious exceptions) have been shown. Just their DNA Digivolution ones, which would not be the same.

Cody would not get the giant clay doll without TK, Yolie would not get Kamen Bird Fighter without Kari, and so on.

It's kind of like how the Armor Digivolutions don't impact what their actual normal Digivolution line is. The season 2 cast, for whatever reason, just never went past Champion naturally.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I KNOW that. That's why I said "they could just start evolving into those digimon on their own for some reason earlier".

Jogress Evolution has been a part of the franchise since before 02. The results of it aren't necessarily dependent on having a partner; Shakkoumon is a valid evolution for Ankylomon with or without Angemon.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That would be beyond lazy and ridiculous.

I highly doubt they'd pull something that as bullshit as that especially when they could market the new forms as, well, NEW FORMS

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think I'm missing something there then because the only Jogress pre-02 in-show was Omegamon and I don't think WarGreymon can just evolve into it without MetalGarurumon.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I think I'm missing something there then because the only Jogress pre-02 in-show was Omegamon and I don't think WarGreymon can just evolve into it without MetalGarurumon.

He can't.

In universe he cannot because the in universe rules of Adventure do not work the same way they do for the Video Games, Card Games, or Tamagachis.

Jogress evolution was a thing in the Tamagachis as early as possibly Pre Adventure, I think the second generation of them?, but they didn't include them for simplicity's sake.

The anime operates on its own rules, as do each of the animes that follow. It's why you don't see any series but Tamers use cards to power up their Digimon, or why you don't see anyone doing the dumb gently caress cross combo mecha bullshit from Xros.

Each series has its own thing. In Adventure, 01 and 02, the natural evolution lines are defined as Child, Adult, and Perfect, with Ultimate being something super special awesome that requires outside influence to achieve.

If Adult cannot be reached, a Child can use the Digi Eggs to Armor Evolve. If Perfect cannot be reached, Adults can Jogress with another Adult.

Tamers features similar things, only Ultimate isn't nearly as hard to reach. It is a gamble to reach though, given what happened with Guilmon. Also you can now fuse with Digimon.

After Tamers that system kind of gets thrown out the window until Savers which featured its own stuff as well.

So no, I would not expect nor want ExVeemon to be able to become Paildramon, nor any of the others. Those are fusions.

It'd be like having Goten able to just become Gotenks on his own.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The description and "rules" Adventure gives for jogress is pretty much the same as what's in the null canon. There's really no reason to presume it's any different.

They're also the Perfects of THOSE CHARACTERS. This is a movie playing on nostalgia; lines we haven't seen them evolve to yet are one thing, but to change established evolutions? They've never treated Shakkoumon as "the Perfect form of Angemon and Ankylomon", it's Ankylomon's Perfect form.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 28, 2015

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
DNA digivolution was always treated as an actual fusion in the anime, not just a power-up. Just reaching the forms alone would make no sense in context.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Geostomp posted:

DNA digivolution was always treated as an actual fusion in the anime, not just a power-up. Just reaching the forms alone would make no sense in context.

Exactly.

Again, Season 2 treats it more like DBZ did their fusions.

You do the fusion dance right, you get a specific form. Vegito, Gokule, Gotenks.

That doesn't mean that the individual characters can become the fused result alone.

Hell if that was the case, Matt wouldn't NEED Tai to fuse into Omnimon with. Season 2 explicitly calls that out as Jogress Evolution as well, and it's treated like a fusion.

I don't know why you're determined to die on this hill, but it's not working out for you.

Hell here's the biggest reason why, if they don't Jogress and just evolve, they won't keep their Jogress forms- ExVeemon or Stingmon would need a new one anyways! Otherwise we'd have two Paildramons running around!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

Hell if that was the case, Matt wouldn't NEED Tai to fuse into Omnimon with. Season 2 explicitly calls that out as Jogress Evolution as well, and it's treated like a fusion.

Yes, I know that's Xros Wars. But aside from that, he's never called a jogress in the Japanese version; only a comparison is made. It's the dub that says he's a DNA Digivolution, but that's the dub.

In episode 27, they're discussing Jogress as a substitute for previous evolution methods, something they do because they don't have crest power. In other words, it's a substitute for a method they don't have anymore.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I just watched the first two episodes of the Adventures dub. Since I watched them in Italian, it was an odd change, but they seemed pretty serviceable. Some of the jokes fell flat and there was that irritating "we are going to introduce everyone multiple times so we can drill these characters' name into your dumb baby head" thing, but I liked the phonebooth jokes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Okay you've lost just because you're using loving Xros Wars.

Really man what the gently caress.

That also does nothing to address the fact that Stingmon or ExVeemon would NEED a new Evolution.

Hell! USING Xros Wars, the best form Davis had before Ken showed up was Magnamon! He NEEDED Ken to Jogress into his actual forms

If any series was going to gently caress up how that worked, it'd be Xros, and yet it didn't. Then you add in the fact that the forms LOOK like fusions, and it seriously would not make any sense.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

*smacks face*

XW is the only thing that says what Omegamon is in the context of the anime. You said he's "explicitly called a Jogress in 02". He is NOT. He is compared to one, but he is never once in all of episode 27, in which they discuss him, he is never called a Jogress.

I can screencap that if you want. He's never called one. That's the DUB.

And I KNOW that they need jogress evolution to evolve in the crossover. I said from the START that something would need to change for them to evolve naturally; all I've held to is that the results would be the same. Yes, they have bits of other digimon on them, that's true. So does TAILMON, is she a jogress of Plotmon and SaberLeomon?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Omegamon wasn't even a jogress in the card game, which had jogress as a game mechanic since before the show started.
Anyway the 02 jogress are considered the official ultimate/perfect forms of the 02 partners because they didn't make other ones for them. In the D3 toy where they first appeared, each of the 2 partners you could choose from had their own evolution lines but required jogressing with the other to reach ultimate/perfect. Stingmon would become Dinobeemon and then later evolve to GranKuwagamon instead of Paildramon and Imperialdramon, and Angemon and Tailmon would become their normal evolutions. So while yes, Silphymon is considered Hawkmon's canon perfect form, that doesn't mean he can reach it without Tailmon. Not that it would matter with Tri anyway since they're already diverging from what used to be the "canon" evolutions by using Vikemon as Gomamon's mega instead of Plesiomon.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
what the gently caress is a jogress

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

alcharagia posted:

what the gently caress is a jogress
I Googled it, and it's apparently a DNA evolution according to the wiki.
But then there is this:

So I am not so sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

No, you don't get to side step this.

What happens if you are right, they all do just Digivolve on their own past Champion and they all, for some reason, keep their Jogress forms?

Does that mean Stingmon just won't Digivolve?

See you can say that and expect that, no of course they're not going to sideline Kari and TK so Cody and Yolie can be barely relevant in Tri. But then what about Ken?

This is why I cannot believe that they would keep the same evolutions if the 02 cast did get to be relevant. Because Jogress Evolution is not the same thing as regular evolution AND because that would leave either Ken or Davis the odd duck out and if they have to go to the trouble of fixing one of them, they're going to do it for the others.