Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Judge Schnoopy posted:

So if I team up with two other guys, we can circle jerk our way to Company Points, which we redeem for cash, and then spend that cash blowing off meetings and swearing at customers?

gently caress yeah sign me up
I'm really glad someone else thought of this as well. That's a big loophole!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Kashuno posted:

I would not want to work there.
If you call him out on it, he's going to not like you and from the sound of how he runs things make your life a living hell. If you let it go, that's some hosed up poo poo right there.

I'd be inclined to go straight to HR with, "This is entirely illegal, correct? I will not be seeing any kind of deductions in my paycheck without my express written authorization, regardless of what this guy says, correct? I'm just checking." Meanwhile I'd start the job hunt because hooboy is the writing on the wall.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Che Delilas posted:

Of course, being America and thus at-will (it's 48/50 states okay, I'm comfortable just making the generalization), dude can probably get away with firing someone for not being Christian enough as long as his documented reasons are the standard nebulous bullshit or no reason at all. Difficult to fight if the employee doesn't have anything damning in writing, and often too expensive to fight even if they do. :911:

That insane email is in writing and therefore documented

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

mewse posted:

That insane email is in writing and therefore documented

Save that poo poo somewhere other than the company mail server then.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
This sounds like a major moneymaking opportunity for the first employee to land a lawsuit on them. I'd definitely look at this not as means for them to dock your pay, but as means for you to get filthy rich.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Do you not have some kind of labour control board you can report that poo poo to?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

I'd be inclined to go straight to HR with, "This is entirely illegal, correct? I will not be seeing any kind of deductions in my paycheck without my express written authorization, regardless of what this guy says, correct? I'm just checking." Meanwhile I'd start the job hunt because hooboy is the writing on the wall.

He said it's a company of less than 20 employees. The boss probably IS the HR department so good luck filing any complaints.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I'm going to do as one person suggested and see how it pans out. Nothing may come of it because he may have second thoughts, as this was sent out over a holiday after he had been angry or emotional or whatever.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do you not have some kind of labour control board you can report that poo poo to?

I'm sure I do, but you know, :heritage:

There were warning signs before this, but I'm really in no position to look for another job right now, having just cleaned up my career from perpetual shittiness. This is my first IT job at age 33 having had a realization that it was dumb for me to pursue anything else. So this is actually a good learning experience, it'll get the experience on the resume, and I'll rack up those sweet, sweet certs while I'm at it. Since we sign no paperwork here, I don't have to pay them back for the certifications. Oh, and I'm making more money than I ever have, so I'm making up for lost time and building up savings, paying down debts. Meanwhile I'll have to watch my back.

Not only will I be leaving this company as soon as it's possible, I'll possibly be leaving my dump of a hometown.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Boss posted:

Rewards – [Company Name] points will be given as rewards. [Company Name] points can be given to any employee at any time by any member of the management team, or by any two employees who commonly agree the points are warranted. Any employee can receive up to 10 [Company Name] points per day. [Company Name] points can be used and traded in for cash or can be used to purchase performance units. This will be our feel good currency and we should nominate each other as much as possible for these points. We will also be setting up some static ways to earn points as well, like hitting certain goals.

mewse
May 2, 2006

(Can't find a VoIP thread)

For any of you godforsaken Shoretel admins, I figured out how to configure the NTP server on phones since you can't provide the address via DHCP. You need to edit the ___custom.txt file in the FTP repo to put in the line:

code:
SntpServer 172.16.0.10
We use 230's, 212k's, and 230g's which are sevcustom.txt, s12custom.txt, and sevgcustom.txt respectively.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

mewse posted:

For any of you godforsaken Shoretel admins, I figured out how to configure the NTP server on phones since you can't provide the address via DHCP. You need to edit the ___custom.txt file in the FTP repo to put in the line:

code:
SntpServer 172.16.0.10
We use 230's, 212k's, and 230g's which are sevcustom.txt, s12custom.txt, and sevgcustom.txt respectively.

That's cool, we usually configure them manually when adding the FTP and VLAN.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I'm starting to think that the worst part about my job is that I have no one readily accessible that is senior to me (or even pretty much equivalent) to me in terms of technical know-how. This is not me bragging in anyway - I just work in a small department. While there's something to be said for being able to work through issues via my own research, I can't get rid of this nagging feeling that I take too long to fix more "complicated" issues and that the way I've implemented things couldn't be easily improved upon.

And no, this isn't impostor syndrome talking - I have a pretty realistic understanding of where I'm at. It'd just be nice to have someone to ask questions of now and then, y'know?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

mewse posted:

code:
SntpServer 172.16.0.10

Why would stuff that supports NTP not use the DHCP option designed for it. So many terrible devices around.

mewse
May 2, 2006

kensei posted:

That's cool, we usually configure them manually when adding the FTP and VLAN.

VLAN?

Our ISP for most of our offices provides Junipers and we were able to get them to put option 156 into the Juniper config for the DHCP pool so that our phones pick up the FTP address automatically. The only thing we were configuring by hand was NTP but with the line I just posted we don't have to do that anymore either. Just plug in the phone and it goes.

Thanks Ants posted:

Why would stuff that supports NTP not use the DHCP option designed for it. So many terrible devices around.

Yeah it's dumb, they use a custom DHCP option 156 to specify the control server IP, or if that option isn't available (watchguards) it can fall back to the DHCP option to specify a TFTP server.

Nothing to specify NTP server via DHCP tho.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

DigitalMocking posted:

I'm with you here. I've been a hiring manager in IT for most of the last 20 years of my career and a degree has never mattered unless its something directly related to the job.

TBH, most of my hiring hasn't been able what they're talking about here in the thread, about getting your foot in the door at tier 1, so a degree will help you get past HR roadblocks.

That's basically true, but there is value in the degree beyond getting a job that needs one. Not that everyone ought to have one, or that everyone will get something out of it, but there are skills and experiences I would not have gotten elsewhere, at least not in the short amount of time.

As an example, the only reason I was a project manager at my last job was because I had to take a project management class as part of my degree program. The place I worked at wanted one and offered it to me with a $10k pay raise, solely because I earned my Project+ while getting my degree (and that's not something I would have pursued otherwise).

Che Delilas posted:

For what it's worth, I sent it to my HR director, mostly so he could also laugh at it, and he confirmed that it is illegal.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

If I see someone has an interest in the humanities beyond whatever they think will help them identify a product-market fit, I can be reasonably assured they aren't a Soylent-drinker.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

mewse posted:

VLAN?

Our ISP for most of our offices provides Junipers and we were able to get them to put option 156 into the Juniper config for the DHCP pool so that our phones pick up the FTP address automatically. The only thing we were configuring by hand was NTP but with the line I just posted we don't have to do that anymore either. Just plug in the phone and it goes.

Yeah it's dumb, they use a custom DHCP option 156 to specify the control server IP, or if that option isn't available (watchguards) it can fall back to the DHCP option to specify a TFTP server.

Nothing to specify NTP server via DHCP tho.

We have our voice traffic tagged. Not my thing, our network is... a special kind of snowflake. If they could get our routing to allow the phones to get on the FTP server automagically I would be so happy!

Our support contract is up and we are looking at other solutions now. I'll probably still have to manage it :sigh:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Having your VOIP traffic split out to a separate VLAN was best practice I thought?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yeah our VoIP is on separate VLANs but I don't understand why you would configure that on the phone when it should be picking up it's IP from DHCP

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Inspector_666 posted:

Having your VOIP traffic split out to a separate VLAN was best practice I thought?

Vlans are just good in general.

kensei posted:

We have our voice traffic tagged. Not my thing, our network is... a special kind of snowflake. If they could get our routing to allow the phones to get on the FTP server automagically I would be so happy!

Our support contract is up and we are looking at other solutions now. I'll probably still have to manage it :sigh:

I am confused on what your problem is. Are you not handling your own dhcp or are your vlans totally segregated? Seems like an easy solution either way.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Getting phones onto VLANs should be done by CDP/LLDP-MED.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I'm starting to think that the worst part about my job is that I have no one readily accessible that is senior to me (or even pretty much equivalent) to me in terms of technical know-how. This is not me bragging in anyway - I just work in a small department. While there's something to be said for being able to work through issues via my own research, I can't get rid of this nagging feeling that I take too long to fix more "complicated" issues and that the way I've implemented things couldn't be easily improved upon.

And no, this isn't impostor syndrome talking - I have a pretty realistic understanding of where I'm at. It'd just be nice to have someone to ask questions of now and then, y'know?

I'm in the same boat; have been for four years now. Pays well and I get to call the shots so I stick with it.

It is absolutely key to keep up with learning on your own accord in this position. See if work will fund trainings; blog about things; take a week or month and dedicate to yourself that you will do every single task via PowerShell. Setup a lab, at home or at work. Fix things; break things. Test things.

Engage in the community (or at least read a lot), get an Oreilly Safari subscription, and just always be improving. It's a mindset you need to adopt. There are so many things I've come back to that I also thought I could probably easily improve upon but wasnt quite sure how, and did just that at a later date.

Having been here for 4 years; I'm still the most senior but I have a couple juniors and I am adamant about dedicating time towards knowledge and professional growth. In fact we have two days (Thurs/Fri) where we carve out dedicated time (about 1 - 1.5hrs, I had to fight to get this) to work on cross-training, certifications, and general knowledge sharing.

edit: Degreechat
No degree here, some mid-level certifications and a security clearance. Have never had an issue finding a job nor finding competitive pay. What I mentioned above, about being involved in the community and blogging and always improving seems to come through at the interview stage and more than makes up for the lack of a degree in my anecdotal experience. I probably get black-balled by HR sometimes, but I dont hear about it when it does happen.

I'm sure I'd do better with a degree; but thats the card's I was dealt and I havent had the passion/focus/care to get it knocked out.

Walked fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 30, 2015

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Sickening posted:

Vlans are just good in general.

I am confused on what your problem is. Are you not handling your own dhcp or are your vlans totally segregated? Seems like an easy solution either way.

Our network is so janky, spread over multiple sites, that we cannot seem to get things working from the server side pushed to the handsets so I have to configure new phones manually. It's not really a problem I can solve and we haven't added any in a long time so it's really just a gripe. We are likely moving to something else soon, so no big deal. However, I did discover today that Edge won't open our ShoreWare Director page in any useful manner. Huzzah!

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Old shoretel uses DHCP option 156 with payload ftpservers=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,country=1,language=1,layer2tagging=1,vlanid=xxxx. That needs to be in both the data VLAN they boot in and the voice VLAN they transition to. The phones reboot twice.

New shoretel uses that or LLDP and a voice vlan.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

If I see someone has an interest in the humanities beyond whatever they think will help them identify a product-market fit, I can be reasonably assured they aren't a Soylent-drinker.

Very noble, but I don't know how I would answer someone asking why I jumped from Russian History to Social Work to IT.

On that note, a awesome goon gave me some resources to start learning about networks, I made a appointment with my school, and started doing the ground work in homebuilding a raspberry pi wireless media server. Just need to keep momentum going.

Now to find job postings for a help desk deal. What is the best keyword to search monster? There are so many drat job titles that I can't find anything easily.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Famethrowa posted:

Very noble, but I don't know how I would answer someone asking why I jumped from Russian History to Social Work to IT.

Why would they ask? It's not unusual, and it's not like the first two are considered lucrative fields.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Famethrowa posted:

All effective IT infrastructures are alike; every dysfunctional IT infrastructure is dysfunctional in its own way.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

Getting phones onto VLANs should be done by CDP/LLDP-MED.
As KS said, that's not how shoretel does it, or at least not how they used to. They would boot, get their lease which would use a dhcp option to define the voice vlan, then reboot and get an address on that vlan. It was a pain in the rear end when we acquired a shoretel customer, we were used to the cisco (read: sane) way of doing it and it is not exactly easy to get documentation on shoretel poo poo without being a partner.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Famethrowa posted:

Jesus Christ are you me ten years ago? I did my bachelors in Russian history, then did education for a bit before transitioning to IT while teaching.

Anyways I've never been asked about why I went down that path as anything other than an "oh that's cool" conversation topic.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 1, 2015

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

It's time to leave the nest.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Ask me about updating a thousand OpenStack hosts today to fix a NUMA scheduler bug. :suicide:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Famethrowa posted:

I'm honest about it. It was a lot harder to get a job with my history degree than it was to just keep doing the IT work I did during college.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm honest about it. It was a lot harder to get a job with my history degree than it was to just keep doing the IT work I did during college.
A cover letter should cover it (heh). Something like, "Since the skills necessary for a successful IT career change rapidly, I chose to major in something I found interesting. The technical side comes naturally to me, so I wanted to get some 'false' experience with the humanities early on."

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

adorai posted:

A cover letter should cover it (heh). Something like, "Since the skills necessary for a successful IT career change rapidly, I chose to major in something I found interesting. The technical side comes naturally to me, so I wanted to get some 'false' experience with the humanities early on."

I wouldn't even talk about it unless I get asked the question in an interview (I do, every time) because it's immaterial to the job, but I don't see how the truth would hurt my chances unless the hiring manager wants to spin it as me giving up on my dreams or something.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

I've never asked anyone about their degree in an interview, but I'm generally asked to weigh in on how much the candidate is bullshitting about stuff on their resume relevant to my position and not just general interviewy stuff. Personally, I don't have a degree or a diploma and I've never had it be a significant problem in an interview. I don't have an education section on my resume, which probably means I get thrown out at companies that actually care, but I've never had issues assuming I make it past the phone screen.

That probably lends itself well to selection bias, though, and I'm sure if the market were crowded with qualified candidates I'd probably be significantly more hosed. It goes without saying that there are a ton of phone screens I don't get or I'm underqualified enough that they aren't interested. I also had no kids, wife, or significant ownership of a thing along with a couple years of savings from working in restaurants and a CCNA. I was phone screening at pretty much every job across the US that I was even remotely qualified for and stating up front that I'd be willing to relocate on my dime. It's cool to say that the tech market is so insane right now you can land a job without a diploma, but unless you live near a huge job market it's going to be difficult or you're going to get a lovely helpdesk job.

IMO if you have the option to get a degree and don't, that's pretty silly of you. It's not an option for everyone though and I wouldn't discourage someone from attempting to find a tech job because of it, but definitely don't quit your day job. I think there's also a point in your career where your experience and ability to talk about subjects kind of speaks for itself and your education background becomes irrelevant. That's just me though, your average interviewer probably cares a lot more about that kind of poo poo -- I know my current employer has little alumni cliques and they get all pumped and shout team names whenever we hire someone from their college.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Reiz posted:

IMO if you have the option to get a degree and don't, that's pretty silly of you. It's not an option for everyone though and I wouldn't discourage someone from attempting to find a tech job because of it, but definitely don't quit your day job.

I probably will finish something, it just feels weird staying the course with a degree that is even more useless then a history degree, if you don't get a masters.

As for help desk, isn't that just where everyone starts? I'd like to get certified and aim a bit higher but from the sounds of things it is very much a experience issues.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

As for help desk, isn't that just where everyone starts?

Not always, depends on a number of factors. I skipped help desk and started at sysadmin.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not always, depends on a number of factors. I skipped help desk and started at sysadmin.

Did you luck into it, have some sweet, sweet nepotism, or did you overachieve on certs?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Famethrowa posted:

Did you luck into it, have some sweet, sweet nepotism, or did you overachieve on certs?
I did the same, and I had the gal durn common sense to join the Air Force at a time when they let you score high enough on the ASVAB to pick your career and say you wanted to be a sys admin, and it was that easy. Nothing like a bunch of 19 year olds with 3 months of training being given domain admin. (This does not happen anymore.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

It was a combo of networking/connections, eduction, ability, and the right timing when they needed someone with my skills. Years later now and I've moved up multiple times and couldn't be happier.

Never ever underestimate the importance of people/social skills, networking/connections, and interview skills.