Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
I still find it strange that Octopode keeps on pretending to have actual domain knowledge in an increasing number of areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Mirificus posted:

I still find it strange that Octopode keeps on pretending to have actual domain knowledge in an increasing number of areas.

I heard he's polishing off his thesis in quantum mechanics so he can be right all the time when someone questions SC's travel system.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

The backer numbers are bullshit. From my tracking, since the anni sale, they gained a little over 14K "citizens". Then the funding page went to poo poo - and proved that even that can't be trusted.

And yes, I have it on first hand trusted authority that the citizen count includes everyone with an RSI account, whether or not you bought (e.g. free play weekends) any package. And it does not take into account refunds, account closures etc.

And this is part of the accountability that backers need to scream for because, aside from accusations of it being a money laundering op, knowing where the money came from, how many people actually donated and how it is being spent, is very important. But that's a closely guarded secret. And if they rush it all out within the next six (as per the 2015 ToS revision that gave them 18 months) months, well then, you can pretty much guess how it all ends.

I'm aware that the "Citizen" number isn't terribly applicable which is why I focused on the "UEE Fleet" number which supposedly is limited to accounts that have actually funded Star Citizen. That the "Citizen" number includes every account registered on RSI is well known. However assuming the values are correct it does appear that the "UEE Fleet"count does take into account refunds as otherwise the number wouldn't go down. That's why I focused on it specifically.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Nation posted:

Ahhh it all makes sense now, imaginary space penises
I'm not sure what reputation wesha thinks they have but from what I can see, they're quite the wanker.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

That's an interesting analysis, thank you. I think the data's probably decent in aggregate, if only because faking it with such apparent randomness would actually be fairly difficult. It blows my mind that there were so many people out there willing to lay out $100+ on a spaceship game. I do wonder what the numbers in the last month would have looked like without the referral program- I suspect that is at least diluting the "Cash per backer" figure somewhat.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3uwyt0/worries/

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sarsapariller posted:

That's an interesting analysis, thank you. I think the data's probably decent in aggregate, if only because faking it with such apparent randomness would actually be fairly difficult. It blows my mind that there were so many people out there willing to lay out $100+ on a spaceship game. I do wonder what the numbers in the last month would have looked like without the referral program- I suspect that is at least diluting the "Cash per backer" figure somewhat.

Anyone who bought Elite Dangerous + Horizons at some point before the recent sale has done this, so :shrug:

I think the real thing is people willing to lay out $100 on a nonexistent spaceship game, but the people who paid 30,000 are probably skewing the numbers a little bit. :v:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

"The successful history of Chris Roberts"

:roflolmao::roflolmao::roflolmao::roflolmao::roflolmao::roflolmao::roflolmao:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

wesha he was dead

FatherChristmas
Nov 9, 2012

'Tis the season

Karl, fucketh thyself.

That seems like such a red flag that maybe the thing I'm paying into is a loving scam. They're trying to help you, bud, and you're preaching the word of Cult Croberts.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

I'll admit to having been on the fence for a while, but this is the post that finally convinced me to back the vision and become a member of this fantastic community

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

How is the only answer to stuff like that not "Who gives a poo poo what they think?"

Like I know Citizens are super ready to throw their armored fedoras on to defend the game or whatever, but every game that's ever been made has been poo poo on by some group or another, why not just get over it?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

CIG's numbers seen to indicate they've had more new backers in the last 11 days (45,641) than in the 115 days preceeding that (45,626 between July 27 and November 19). That said I'm not entirely convinced that CIG's numbers are trustworthy. The spike in backers at the end made me wonder about how the rest of their numbers looked.

It's worth considering that they said they'd sell 1k $30 packages a day during the sale, but actually sold far more as they kept refilling it.

Also referrals, a lot of whales, if they want the shiny gold ships need to get their referral totals up and considering they are whales the logical way to do this is to fund new accounts to $40 (just $30 doesn't work obviously) using the referral code. Then gift the $40 package across to the main account, melt all the $40 packages and buy/upgrade whatever sperg boat they wanted anyway. Lots of new accounts that look like backers and the sale would have had the whales spending that money anyway, there's zero reason not to this. Though a new account can't gift something for 30 days I think so they'll probably a ton of support calls to buy stuff in the sale later.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

It was bad wording on his part but I think with Mantle the situation is pretty obvious: The API is kept on life-support for existing products, if they wouldn't do this the trust in AMD would drop like a rock. However, new developments are encouraged to look at Vulkan or DirectX12. If they stopped further development for Mantle it would be utterly crazy to target Mantle for anything nowadays. Compare it to RHEL 4.

I think he was referring to you in that quote.

My wording was just fine. Quoted again for clarity and posterity.

Octopode posted:

For one, they committed to implementation of Mantle quite a while ago, which requires much of the same low level rework (as mentioned in the original quote) and which likely came with a nice big financial contribution from AMD given the hoopla around its announcement--it's probably not really an option to just not do it at this point. Focusing on DX12 first rather than directly going to Mantle is a reflection of the state of the industry right now--Mantle is basically dead from an industry support standpoint, but they're probably still committed unless AMD officially abandons it.

D_Smart posted:

No, it's not. Mantle was never adopted like DX is.

They jumped on the Mantle bandwagon because, like VR (which they aren't even touting any longer), it was the latest buzz word at the time. So why the hell not?

If they had done ANY work on Mantle, it would be reflected in their dev logs because it's a big loving deal.

And if they are already doing DX12 (as is now reported), that means, like Star Marine and everything else they did, then ditched, that's the fate of their Mantle effort. It's dead.

Mantle isn't dead from an industry support standpoint. It was a bespoke and niche. Microsoft killed it with DX12.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2894036/mantle-is-a-vulkan-amds-dead-graphics-api-rises-from-the-ashes-as-opengls-successor.html

They need DX12, not because it's the latest buzzword, but because as it stands, the game is a loving processing hog. And it's not even 10% finished yet. By the time it is, if they survive long enough to put in all the poo poo they promised, nobody would be able to run the loving game higher than 720p @ 30fps. At best.

Again. Stop posting bullshit.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sarsapariller posted:

The referral program began on 2015-10-10. I think CIG had some kind of problem with the counter because the backer deltas are -79, 0, and 0 for the 10th, 11th, and 12th of October. 5,172 were added on the 13th so I suspect they corrected things then. As for the referral program, the average number of backers gained per day in the month before CitCon was 187. In the month after the referral program the average number per day was 547, so clearly an increase. However those numbers pale in comparison to the increase we've seen since the anniversary sale started, which featured 10,918 backers being added on day one and has sustained an average of 4,149 for all 11 days. To put that into context the average number of backers gained per day since the UEE Fleet counter was started is 840, and the median is 584. So either the numbers are incredibly messed up or CIG is experiencing the greatest influx of backers in over a year.

AP posted:

It's worth considering that they said they'd sell 1k $30 packages a day during the sale, but actually sold far more as they kept refilling it.

Also referrals, a lot of whales, if they want the shiny gold ships need to get their referral totals up and considering they are whales the logical way to do this is to fund new accounts to $40 (just $30 doesn't work obviously) using the referral code. Then gift the $40 package across to the main account, melt all the $40 packages and buy/upgrade whatever sperg boat they wanted anyway. Lots of new accounts that look like backers and the sale would have had the whales spending that money anyway, there's zero reason not to this. Though a new account can't gift something for 30 days I think so they'll probably a ton of support calls to buy stuff in the sale later.

Yeah the $30 packages are likely a part of it. It will be interesting to see if an account is no longer considered part of the UEE Fleet once it loses everything from gifting. If you replace the increase in backers from the start of the anniversary sale with the average value of 840 per day the $/backer becomes $125.02 which would be higher than it has ever been before.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 1, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

Not sure about stable (don't have any experience with either), but definitely more attractive since nobody wants to be locked in on a single vendor with their renderer. I don't think anyone wants another Glide... :)

Well, look how long the DX vs OGL war has been raging. Guess who continues to win that battle in gaming. So yeah, it's like that.

FatherChristmas
Nov 9, 2012

'Tis the season

Karl, fucketh thyself.

Beet Wagon posted:

How is the only answer to stuff like that not "Who gives a poo poo what they think?"

Like I know Citizens are super ready to throw their armored fedoras on to defend the game or whatever, but every game that's ever been made has been poo poo on by some group or another, why not just get over it?

I think its their inner doubt welling up inside of them and slowly gurgling to the surface.

That 3,000$ hole in your pocket can get pretty empty when there's mostly just jpegs to fill it.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Well, look how long the DX vs OGL war has been raging. Guess who continues to win that battle in gaming. So yeah, it's like that.

I don't know actually, who IS winning? On PCs - DX, OGL is kinda small in comparison (but still there for some major titles). PS3/PS4 is using an OGL derivative afaik, X360/XO DX. Mobile gaming until recently was generally OGL (Now Apple is switching to Metal).

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

That was exactly what I was thinking too. I don't mind either way, since I don't know enough to tell which is better, but either they didn't get far with Mantle or they're ok with pouring more time/resources into the re-engineering. Weird.

Going from where they are to DX12, instead of from Mantle to Vulcan, is the safer bet in the long wrong.

The biggest problem is all the time, money, resources wasted in that original Mantle effort. Then having to trash (you can't save any of it btw since it's a totally different api and tech) it all for DX12. For a game that's supposed to be coming out in 2016, doing either of those now (as in within the last six months and onward), is just very - very - bad. Completely.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

FatherChristmas posted:

I think its their inner doubt welling up inside of them and slowly gurgling to the surface.

That 3,000$ hole in your pocket can get pretty empty when there's mostly just jpegs to fill it.

Yeah, I guess I just don't get it. But then again I don't stand to lose all that much when SC folds.

I do remember the first time someone told me it was a scam though. After he called it a Ponzi scheme he started telling me all about this fantastic game he was super excited about backing called "The Stomping Land"

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm aware that the "Citizen" number isn't terribly applicable which is why I focused on the "UEE Fleet" number which supposedly is limited to accounts that have actually funded Star Citizen. That the "Citizen" number includes every account registered on RSI is well known. However assuming the values are correct it does appear that the "UEE Fleet"count does take into account refunds as otherwise the number wouldn't go down. That's why I focused on it specifically.

Right. Got it. Makes sense.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Going from where they are to DX12, instead of from Mantle to Vulcan, is the safer bet in the long wrong.

The biggest problem is all the time, money, resources wasted in that original Mantle effort. Then having to trash (you can't save any of it btw since it's a totally different api and tech) it all for DX12. For a game that's supposed to be coming out in 2016, doing either of those now (as in within the last six months and onward), is just very - very - bad. Completely.

Well not sure if you can't save any of it (I am sure they have their own abstraction layer inbetween the engine and the render API), but it will definitely cost them a fair bit of resources.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

:anime:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3uxxzi/will_star_citizen_hit_200_million/

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Friends don't let friends sink money into Star Citizen. Here's why

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

My God. :stare:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

talk about burying the lede

"yeah, we need more mature VR support, and better internet, and by the way I'm building a house based on a loving video game"

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Mirificus posted:

It's because he runs off to reddit and CIG to get his talking points. Then, posts them and argues said talking points are p cool and you should really like the game and it's coming out in two weeks.

so

FatherChristmas
Nov 9, 2012

'Tis the season

Karl, fucketh thyself.

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah, I guess I just don't get it. But then again I don't stand to lose all that much when SC folds.

I do remember the first time someone told me it was a scam though. After he called it a Ponzi scheme he started telling me all about this fantastic game he was super excited about backing called "The Stomping Land"

I mostly started to notice when another goon I knew mentioned this thread. I had largely forgotten about my pledge since I wasn't that heavily invested in the first place, but witnessing this impending train wreck made me glad I never pledged my own money (someone got it for me as a 'gift').

Also :laffo: on Stomping Land. Hopefully he didn't put in too much before it cratered.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

FatherChristmas posted:

I mostly started to notice when another goon I knew mentioned this thread. I had largely forgotten about my pledge since I wasn't that heavily invested in the first place, but witnessing this impending train wreck made me glad I never pledged my own money (someone got it for me as a 'gift').

Also :laffo: on Stomping Land. Hopefully he didn't put in too much before it cratered.

I don't think he got hit too bad, but I'll be damned if I'm ever going to let him forget it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Anyone who bought Elite Dangerous + Horizons at some point before the recent sale has done this, so :shrug:

I got in on the ground floor, so I'm currently into Elite, a released game with players, for $72 including Horizons and a late night purchase of a Cobra skin pack.

Coincidentally, until I laid out for Horizons, My Star Citizen pledge was sitting at $5 more than Elite, which I was playing.

Iglocska posted:

I don't know actually, who IS winning? On PCs - DX, OGL is kinda small in comparison (but still there for some major titles). PS3/PS4 is using an OGL derivative afaik, X360/XO DX. Mobile gaming until recently was generally OGL (Now Apple is switching to Metal).

OGL's big problem is backwards compatibility over the patches, shortcuts and bullshit that was introduced because the governing body was dragging its feet. DirectX, on the other hand, was promoted and built by Microsoft, with an equal number of loving outrageous special cases, but an infrastructure designed to deliver it - after we got over the nasty problem of different versioning.

Mostly this is resulting in a bunch of forks, most of which will die.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Sale ended, they actually ended it on time I think, (if you don't count the extra day and a bit).

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15080-AnniVERSEary-Sale-Weapons-Free

$5,374,050 in November 2015.

November 2013 $7,880,937
November 2014 $6,123,928

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

"yeah, we need more mature VR support, and better internet, and by the way I'm building a house based on a loving video game"

You missed "grooming my son's friends".

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Hav posted:

I got in on the ground floor, so I'm currently into Elite, a released game with players, for $72 including Horizons and a late night purchase of a Cobra skin pack.

Coincidentally, until I laid out for Horizons, My Star Citizen pledge was sitting at $5 more than Elite, which I was playing.

OGL's big problem is backwards compatibility over the patches, shortcuts and bullshit that was introduced because the governing body was dragging its feet. DirectX, on the other hand, was promoted and built by Microsoft, with an equal number of loving outrageous special cases, but an infrastructure designed to deliver it - after we got over the nasty problem of different versioning.

Mostly this is resulting in a bunch of forks, most of which will die.

I guess the forking and horrible maintainability of such situations is part of the whole Open Source life cycle so it's no that surprising. As for Backwards compatibility being a major issue, it kind of is for DX now too - but they easily get around it by shipping DX12 (which is compatible with... DX12) and DX11 (which is compatible back since the middle ages) with the OS. But that's just the PC platform of course and gaming goes way beyond just the PC.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Hav posted:

You missed "grooming my son's friends".

Jesus.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

:ironicat:

I know how you feel buddy, gotta maintain that reputation of being a diabolical idiot. Wouldn't wanna ruin that.

AP posted:

$5,374,050 in November 2015.

November 2013 $7,880,937
November 2014 $6,123,928

How do other months this year look by the same measure? Can you plot when CIG will stop making enough money to cover their burn rate?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

I was providing context :colbert:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I could have paid cash for my son to go to college but I decided to build a really big Virtual Boy instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

I'm dead

• Locked thread