Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Stare-Out posted:

Hm, I'll have to give it a go a few times and see how it does things. Just basically trying to avoid happily FaceTiming away and ending up with a huge gently caress-off bill for international calls all of a sudden that FaceTime turned into regular calls instead of WiFi or 3G calls.

FaceTime can't just turn into a regular call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If you have unlimited data, then go nuts with facetime over cellular.
That makes sense, just wanted a concrete answer just in case. Cheers.

nickutz posted:

If I have the option I almost always call with FaceTime audio because I like being able to understand what the other person is saying.
Regular calls have decent quality over here and Skype at its best is pretty clear but since it's peer-to-peer it's really drat susceptible to glitching out at the drop of a hat depending on the other person's signal and can drop down to a stuttery robotic mess. FaceTime uses an Apple proxy server between callers, right?

POCKET CHOMP posted:

FaceTime can't just turn into a regular call.
Sweet, that's good to know.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a way to make the vibrate stronger because in silent mode I don't ever notice my phone ringing.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a way to make the vibrate stronger because in silent mode I don't ever notice my phone ringing.

What, with the 6S or 6S+? No, the vibration technology is different, it pushes a weight back and forth linearly instead of rotating an unbalanced weight, so the phone doesn't shake around as much. You can set up custom vibrations, maybe using something unique would help you.

Personally I prefer it, but it does feel weaker.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Pivo posted:

What, with the 6S or 6S+? No, the vibration technology is different, it pushes a weight back and forth linearly instead of rotating an unbalanced weight, so the phone doesn't shake around as much. You can set up custom vibrations, maybe using something unique would help you.

With the 6s sorry.

e: no wonder I never notice it when I get text messages. The default vibrate is literally like a 0.1 second pulse.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 2, 2015

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I have one friend with a 6 I can call and it sounds like I'm in the room with her. I call my friend with an iPhone 4s and it sounds like a normal call. Is there a chance that for some reason I'm calling my friend with the 6 on a Facetime Audio call? I don't understand why that line sounds so much better.
EDIT: She's in my address book the same as anyone, and her favorites entry has her listed as "Mobile" as well.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

IUG posted:

I have one friend with a 6 I can call and it sounds like I'm in the room with her. I call my friend with an iPhone 4s and it sounds like a normal call. Is there a chance that for some reason I'm calling my friend with the 6 on a Facetime Audio call? I don't understand why that line sounds so much better.
EDIT: She's in my address book the same as anyone, and her favorites entry has her listed as "Mobile" as well.

I think it's a feature of newer cell phone radios. If I remember correctly the 6 was the first iPhone with higher bit-rate cell calling.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The 'dial tone' with Facetime is different than a phone call. It's like a bird chirping. Well, a bird on crack, I dunno, it's a high pitched beeping. I doubt you're accidentally Facetiming anyone without noticing.

Perhaps the friend with the 4S has some gunk in their mic or something.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I don't know if this belongs here or in the os x software thread. But I use iTunes on my laptop only to play podcasts off of my phone through the laptop speakers. The list of podcasts shown on my phone in itunes is different than what is displayed in the podcasts app on my phone (itunes shows older ones that I deleted on my phone). I upgraded from a 4s to a 5s and this fixed itself for awhile but now it's doing it again. Is there some way to fix this?

itunes shows just 2 podcasts:

but there's another 3 on here besides the ones you can sorta see:

phosdex fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 2, 2015

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

phosdex posted:

I don't know if this belongs here or in the os x software thread. But I use iTunes on my laptop only to play podcasts off of my phone through the laptop speakers. The list of podcasts shown on my phone in itunes is different than what is displayed in the podcasts app on my phone (itunes shows older ones that I deleted on my phone). I upgraded from a 4s to a 5s and this fixed itself for awhile but now it's doing it again. Is there some way to fix this?

This isn't a fix for whatever your problem is, but you can use Overcast (free) on your phone and the Overcast web interface to play via your laptop. It all syncs and you don't have to open iTunes, so it seems win win to me.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

IUG posted:

"HD Voice" (wideband audio) is available if you're both on a compatible device (iPhone 5 or later, for iPhones) and your network(s) support it.

Otherwise you get classic tin-can-and-strings audio instead.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also WiFi calling sounds pretty awesome.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Also WiFi calling sounds pretty awesome.

I did turn Wifi calling on a while ago, so it's probably that as well. Although we're both on iPhone 6 phones, and on AT&T.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Another cool thing I recently discovered about FaceTime is that you can set it up on your Mac so you can receive normal iPhone calls on your Mac as long as they're on the same WiFi network. I often charge my iPhone using a socket on the other side of the room and not having to rush over to answer a call while I'm on my Mac is dang sweet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

Another cool thing I recently discovered about FaceTime is that you can set it up on your Mac so you can receive normal iPhone calls on your Mac as long as they're on the same WiFi network. I often charge my iPhone using a socket on the other side of the room and not having to rush over to answer a call while I'm on my Mac is dang sweet.

That's not actually a facetime feature, it's a handoff feature that was added with El Capitan.

It's magic. Apple could legit rule the world if they wrote software to do this on a Windows machine.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

xzzy posted:

if they wrote software to do this on a Windows machine.

You shall burn in hell just for the mere suggestion.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Added with Yosemite 😉

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Added with Yosemite 😉

Well, then it didn't actually work for me until El Capitan.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can send regular SMS from iMessage with it as well to all your green message "friends"

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is there a way to turn off Siri making jokes after commands? "I love a good countdown" when setting a timer, "Yawn" when asked what time it is in the morning, etc.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No.

What a weird request.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
"Siri, engage Beep-Boop mode."

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
You can tell her "That's not funny" and she'll quit, or so I've heard. I haven't tried it because I am not a humorless autist.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

phosdex posted:

Sometimes if a podcast is downloaded via the phone first, it doesn't ever show up on the itunes list. This is a bug they've fixed in the past, but still seems to pop up every few versions for whatever reason. File a bug report about it if you have the time, because the podcast team is really small (possibly one person?), they're usually pretty responsive.

I've deleted the missing podcast from my phone and had it show up both places on next sync, other times I've unsynced all podcasts, emptyed out the cache on the iphone, then resynced, and everything appeared at that point.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

IUG posted:

Yeah this happens with my girlfriend on her 6 and my 6s. It sounds amazing and I had no idea why it was doing that. I figured it was automatically kicking it over to FaceTime audio as well.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Economic Sinkhole posted:

You can tell her "That's not funny" and she'll quit, or so I've heard. I haven't tried it because I am not a humorless autist.

The last time that this came up, I seem to recall someone mentioning that this doesn't work any more.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Getting the 6s+ tomorrow :cool: just gonna insure the thing and skip a case so everyone can see the ~*rose gold*~

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Getting the 6s+ tomorrow :cool: just gonna skip insurance and get the Apple leather case

Good choice. The leather they used this time around is some of the nicest since they began making leather cases for the iPhone.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My provider doesn't have any in stock :qq:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Apple Store has plenty

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My country has no Apple Stores in stock :qq:

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

terre packet posted:

Is there a way to turn off Siri making jokes after commands? "I love a good countdown" when setting a timer, "Yawn" when asked what time it is in the morning, etc.

is there any way to get her to start doing this because she's just super serious when i ask her to do things and i'm not a humorless robot

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

I wish this worked on my computer, but for some reason, it has to be Wifi. I have a Time Capsule that my phone connects to through Wifi, but my laptop has an ethernet cable connection to it. That's no good for Handoff apparently!

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah this happens with my girlfriend on her 6 and my 6s. It sounds amazing and I had no idea why it was doing that. I figured it was automatically kicking it over to FaceTime audio as well.

Mostly likely it's HD voice or whatever and only works between specific phones and with your specific carrier. Funny thing is I don't even notice anymore, when my wife and I got 6's I was blown away by the sound quality, now I don't really notice when its good or bad.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Gotta admit, I wasn't expecting "Hey Siri, play the rest of this album" to work with shuffle all music playing. My success rate with Siri kinda sucks because I tend to ask pretty specific poo poo of her. I think the last time I tried using it, it was "Hey Siri, track my latest USPS package shipment from Amazon" (figuring it might parse my Mail emails for the newest Amazon email containing a tracking number) and the response was "who, me?"

...was I supposed to say "yes, you"?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

As hit/miss as it can be, it's weird to use Siri when she manages to get completely what you want her to do and does it instantly, if it then says something else or asks if there's anything else I need and opens the mic it's hard not to thank her and then feel dumb for thanking your phone.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

IUG posted:

I wish this worked on my computer, but for some reason, it has to be Wifi. I have a Time Capsule that my phone connects to through Wifi, but my laptop has an ethernet cable connection to it. That's no good for Handoff apparently!
Um, I haven't spent a lick of time investigating it, but my (wired Ethernet) iMac has been able to answer phone calls for at least a year.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

If I remember right you're on ATT, and both ATT and Verizon have HD voice options. HD voice is actually Voice over LTE, so it's better quality because it's going over the data network (doesn't use your data on either carrier).

It's in settings under cellular, LTE has a "data only" and "data and voice" option. The other way to know it's working is if you are on the phone and it shows LTE, before Voice over LTE ATT would only be able to do H+ while on the phone, LTE would drop off.

HD voice should be fine on ATT. On Verizon if your area doesn't have a solid LTE build out (like mine) you want to avoid it for now because it'll drop the call if you lose LTE connection.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Stare-Out posted:

As hit/miss as it can be, it's weird to use Siri when she manages to get completely what you want her to do and does it instantly, if it then says something else or asks if there's anything else I need and opens the mic it's hard not to thank her and then feel dumb for thanking your phone.
I 100% believe that Apple is tracking how often people thank their phone as some sort of psychology study into politeness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Stare-Out posted:

Hm, I'll have to give it a go a few times and see how it does things. Just basically trying to avoid happily FaceTiming away and ending up with a huge gently caress-off bill for international calls all of a sudden that FaceTime turned into regular calls instead of WiFi or 3G calls.

It doesn't switch to a normal phone call if the FaceTime connection drops, it just fully drops the call.

I've actually started using FaceTime voice with everyone I know that has an iPhone, the call quality is just magnificent.