Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SirTagz posted:

You are all a bunch of hypocrites.

Do you not see the difference between what you're talking about and someone just coming right out and saying "I don't care about human suffering at all"?

Genuine question, because what I'm mad at is the latter.

Most functioning humans have the substance to at least feel bad when people point out how literally everything they own was probably produced by human suffering. We can't really do that much about it, seeing as how we're a bunch of broke wage slaves with the political sway of a fish, and fighting every single example of worker abuse with our wallets would require not buying anything. But most of us probably do what we can to avoid companies with blatant human rights violations, and we actually have a feeling in our hearts when we hear about horrible working conditions.

And here comes Octopode with the sweeping statement of "I don't care about human suffering as long as I get my video game. There's nothing wrong with giving thousands of dollars to these people!"

A real human being typed that and felt no shame whatsoever. This is not a person with a functioning center of empathy. THAT is what people are piling on him for.

PS: Does it not matter that they are doing something lovely just because there are other similarly lovely things out there? This is the Star Citizen thread and we are talking about the people behind Star Citizen being lovely.

ah geez, how did this end up on a new page, move on, citizens.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
1 00 million

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Wrong thread. Parp

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I wonder if they actually want to delay hitting $100 million so that they do can a celebratory cash grab of some kind.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I wonder if they actually want to delay hitting $100 million so that they do can a celebratory cash grab of some kind.

I hope it's a Space-Armored Car for transporting big stacks of Nerdbux

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I am al-right with everything

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

A Neurotic Jew posted:

$100 million celebratory sale. All ships half price. Free LTI. Free inworld espresso maker, only $500. Hurry, limited stocks. Supply will run out February 2017!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Down to earth with a bump, slightly higher than normal due to increased excitement and probably support calls from the sale period with people paying late for whatever they wanted.

Pre 2.0 that 44k would gradually drift downwards towards 20k a day, now it might decay slower, not sure. Somewhere around 10 days till they break 100 million but they might do something like a free flight week if they want it earlier for marketing reasons.

The media blitz should be epic, something to show and lots of money to brag about.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

AP posted:

Down to earth with a bump, slightly higher than normal due to increased excitement and probably support calls from the sale period with people paying late for whatever they wanted.

Pre 2.0 that 44k would gradually drift downwards towards 20k a day, now it might decay slower, not sure. Somewhere around 10 days till they break 100 million but they might do something like a free flight week if they want it earlier for marketing reasons.

The media blitz should be epic, something to show and lots of money to brag about.

That right there is a post ejaculation slump if ever I saw one

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Buy your own cube of space void. Only $550 per cubed kilometer. Own your own nothingness! Hurry. Limited stock!

SPECIAL $100,000,000 CELEBRATORY BONUS OFFER! Buy 9, get one free! FREE!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
when the counter glitched it went down, right? At the time I thought it probably was a glitch, because why would they want to lower the number? All of a sudden it kind of makes sense. :tinfoil:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TTerrible posted:

They've made it so there is no way to get a concrete answer, ever.

Croberts made that post stating that any answer through anyone other than him was just "their understanding at the time" or whatever it was and only he had the full picture. Access to Croblers is gated through the not-a-town-hall-as-promised avenue of 10FTC. He can pick and choose what to answer.

I'm sure that he has made another get out for himself at some point about how "things change during game development"

So to summarise:

• Nothing anyone says, Developer or not is true. Only Chris Roberts can answer questions officially.
  • Backers cannot ask Chris Roberts questions directly, they are filtered and answered in 10FTC in a controlled environment.
  • Anything Chris Roberts says also can't be used to criticise the game because things change during game development.

I hope that clears up exactly how open this development is :v:

Yup, right here. Barely a year ago actually. How odd.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

I mean, not to rush to the defense of CIG, but I can kind of understand them wanting to keep what is basically a "proof of concept" pretty small-scale.

Especially when you remember that each of these systems is supposed to have bespoke assets that are probably nowhere near completion.

Yeah, I know that. However, the space is empty. Just because you don't have a satellite, state or platform to put in a level, doesn't mean you can't build the level.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, I know that. However, the space is empty. Just because you don't have a satellite, state or platform to put in a level, doesn't mean you can't build the level.

Oh I agree, I just don't think them not releasing an entire universe of completely empty space is anything to get our feathers ruffled over yet. At worst it's indicative of the fact that they are still figuring out exactly how they want to instance it all, which is something we already knew.

But then again, I've never made a video game in my life, so my opinion on the subject doesn't count for much.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Why doesn't Chris just send a memo sometimes?

"Hey everyone, just to let you know, the Spergmaster 3000 is now the biggest ship in game, thanks"

Or he could stop being a bitch, I dunno

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D_Smart posted:

Yes it do

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Dusty Lens posted:

The game is always a year and a half from release. The next module is always three months away.

We've always been at wars with Eastasia...

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Eldragon posted:

For a short while "Pubbie" was as well. But someone with a brain realized they had taken the "ban any words used by goons" too far.

To be fair, some goons use as many as 10 words, and eventually the brown sea would run out of non-bannable words as a result.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
nm.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

There should be a meta achievement for getting a word banned just because a goon said it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

As I mentioned, I don't believe what they did is a proper/correct implementation. A hack (this proves it without a doubt) is fine. But even so, it's a stop-gap measure that I believe is going to not only cause some serious problems down the road,

Sorry to return to this but when you say "this proves it without a doubt", are you referring to the below?

Might he not mean the same as this, but using different phrasing?

quote:

[The move to 64-bit] is less about 64-bit compile [and] more about 64-bit positional space […] Pretty much every 3D engine works in 32-bit, which is great for a normal FPS – because you usually don't have maps that are bigger than, say, 8km x 8km – but for us, we've got star systems that are millions of kilometers across and the precision of 32-bit just isn't enough.

We've spent about 8 months now – it's done – moving the engine over to 64-bit world space coordinates. The last part of it was moving rendering over so it became camera-relative. The GPUs themselves generally don't work in 64-bit – they work in 32-bit – but since you generally won't be able to see millions of kilometers away, the visible range is inside 32 bits, but the overall system space is much bigger.

Could the 32-bit SIMD be referring to the limitations of the GPU and he's using "universe scale" as shorthand for 64-bit positional space?

Apologies if this is obvious and I'm being dumb or whatever, I don't really understand it. But if an ex-Crytek developer has contradicted something (I'm not even sure I even picked the right passage) Chris Roberts has said CIG actually did, that seems like a big deal to me and I'm wondering if that's actually what's happened or if it's just two different people trying to describe the same thing.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Yes

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
ferreal

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

There should be a meta achievement for getting a word banned just because a goon said it.

Someone needs to make 'pootang' a thing over there, should be easy enough.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Can a Playstation 1 run Atari Jaguar games?
I think that's all that needs to be said

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So what's Ben's new x-mas name? Or has the poll not closed yet?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hey guys remember when Octopode went from probably nice, but misguided person to roughly as hosed up as Karl by saying he doesn't care about human suffering as long as he gets his video game

lmfao

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Eonwe posted:

hey guys remember when Octopode went from probably nice, but misguided person to roughly as hosed up as Karl by saying he doesn't care about human suffering as long as he gets his video game

lmfao

Someone should paint it like Landscape With the Fall of Icarus.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

peter gabriel posted:

I'm so sorry

thats a classy catte

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The Fall of Pode

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

2DCAT posted:

thats a classy catte

He is very good

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Beet Wagon posted:

The Fall of Pode

Missed a trick by not havingt the cherub in the tree be Lesnick. Sorry.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

quote:

Mad Catz' star-studded space simulator, Star Citizen is scheduled to release on 2017 for Microsoft Windows and Linux platforms. The prototype of its controller, on the other hand, is hoped to be released in the Holidays or early in 2016.

#facepalm

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TTerrible posted:

Missed a trick by not havingt the cherub in the tree be Lesnick. Sorry.

Ah yeah that would have been better. drat.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Beet Wagon posted:

Ah yeah that would have been better. drat.

It was a solid 4.9, worry not.

EDIT:

We're currently porting our nightmare project to DX12 and hope to release on Linux next year.

-Something An Actual Person Published.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TTerrible posted:

Sing along if you know the words.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

Octopode posted:

That Jump Point article doesn't say anything different than how they've been describing the system the entire time--I don't know why you think it is proof of some sort of hack implementation.

Also, the star map does not represent a single, continuous space in the game as this and your previous comments imply. Each system represented on the star map is a single, large world Crusader-like map. You cannot fly directly from one system to another, normal travel is only possible within the bounds of each system. Transition between systems will be a transition between instances and accomplished only via jump points.

Octopode...I may have some internal struggle with what derek smart says because some part of me WANTS to believe in Star Citizen...but technologically speaking...what he is saying is completely correct. Some of it is hearsay, but the way he sees it...is without a doubt accurate, and with the information we have, is also accurate.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I look forward to seeing what new and inventive things they can break by both switching to DX12 and developing for Linux concurrently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

• Locked thread