Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Kersch posted:

There should be a Stellaris event where you discover the ruins of a civilization that ended in their Information Age and the only remaining relic is an old server full of archived bad forum posts

And goatse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Freudian posted:

And goatse.

"What manner of behavior is that human male exhibiting in relation to his own sphincter? Fascinating."

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
If we can send unstoppable Peacekeeper ships to forcefully disarm lesser civilizations barely into the space age and still squabbling with each other, Stellaris will be GOTY.

Grand Menaces are all good and well, but you know you've made it when you've become someone ELSE'S Grand Menace.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It'd be neat if there were ways to simulate internal threats like the breakdown of a space empire due to stagnation or something. Like, say you've blobbed up pretty well and are stable for a while. If there was some kind of "Decadence" (but not annoying like CK2's Decadence) where your empire would gradually go into a stagnant period, decline, and start to break up, that would keep the late game a bit more dynamic. I'm thinking something like Asimov's Foundation series.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

DrSunshine posted:

It'd be neat if there were ways to simulate internal threats like the breakdown of a space empire due to stagnation or something. Like, say you've blobbed up pretty well and are stable for a while. If there was some kind of "Decadence" (but not annoying like CK2's Decadence) where your empire would gradually go into a stagnant period, decline, and start to break up, that would keep the late game a bit more dynamic. I'm thinking something like Asimov's Foundation series.

A mechanic to send a seeder colony to a far off system and begin anew as a technologically advanced OPM would actually be really cool.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Like the Romans in At The Gates?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Enjoy posted:

Like the Romans in At The Gates?

Not to derail, but how is At The Gates looking? It's been on my radar for a while, but I haven't heard or seen anything on it's progress for like six months now.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

A mechanic to send a seeder colony to a far off system and begin anew as a technologically advanced OPM would actually be really cool.

Yeah I really want to see one - way event wormholes that are only usable once that you can send colony ships through in the early game. This way you seed the galaxy with your species and could get some really awesome divergent factions based off of your culture in the late game.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

orangelex44 posted:

Not to derail, but how is At The Gates looking? It's been on my radar for a while, but I haven't heard or seen anything on it's progress for like six months now.

It's being released January

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P7DDwAkbIKeZN2-cG_tlZmyXyxLdDT9t_D2olSbjX9s/edit

January 2017

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Pimpmust posted:

Basically (to copy that Polygon video interview :v:) Space Mongols (Dominion / Hive Fleet sorta thing) / AI rebellion / Space Plague / Wrath of Star Khan / Galactus / Annihilation Wave etc etc. This can be amazing and man, infinite expansion potential.
As long as I can do like SimCity 2000 and trigger every one of them at once. :unsmigghh:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

orangelex44 posted:

Once I saw the gameplay I didn't care anymore. I don't want to play Settlers.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Kersch posted:

There should be a Stellaris event where you discover the ruins of a civilization that ended in their Information Age and the only remaining relic is an old server full of archived bad forum posts

As your science team explored the burnt out ruins, they discovered an ancient and shockingly intact computer system beneath the desk of an ancient, mummified corpse.

After weeks of data recovery, they have learned of an all powerful civilization known as Greater Sjerbia. Its story is so compelling that most of your science team have adopted its way and mutinied. They have declared Our Benevolent Birdman Federation to be "kebab".

+1 Balkan pop
+1000% Balkan independence desire
Science Ship USS Inquisitive Feather lost!
Culture Researcher John Birdman resigns!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

DrSunshine posted:

The basic problem, of course, is "How do you make the slow destruction of all that you worked to build interesting?" I do like the idea, but finding a way to keep the player invested when they're going into decline is a bit of a challenge.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's kind awierd when you think about it.

a rebellion in space where you lose control of a planet for a single turn is super ignorable when you're talking from a gameplay perspective.

but in that planet the rebellion probably lasted 20 to 40 years or even more.

makes u think

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Maybe empires could have a policy on how rebellions are dealt with, which gives a modifier on how long rebellions last and how damaging they are, so it ranges from George RR Martin's Thousand Worlds style genocide and enslavement of rebels in 1 turn to tolerating planets becoming autonomus and having to reabsorb them later with diplomatic power

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Rebellions in the empire will be punished with total planetary deconstruction. No exceptions.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

DrSunshine posted:

Rebellions in the empire will be punished with total planetary deconstruction. No exceptions.

Tovarich, not only are habitable planets rare but you are also throwing away precious resources. I suggest you virus bomb the planet until everything is dead and re-colonise, da?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Riso posted:

Tovarich, not only are habitable planets rare but you are also throwing away precious resources. I suggest you virus bomb the planet until everything is dead and re-colonise, da?

Nonsense, comrade, we will use the raw materials to build space colonies for loyal citizens.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tomn posted:

The basic problem, of course, is "How do you make the slow destruction of all that you worked to build interesting?" I do like the idea, but finding a way to keep the player invested when they're going into decline is a bit of a challenge.

I think it would have to all make sense. Not "well my empire's been stable for too long so I guess the game is throwing a random event at me". You should be able to see it coming and also avoid it, but the causes of the decline should be tricky to ignore, or have been short term boons. Perhaps you know you're expanding too fast and too far, you want to gobble up that space-land before someone else does but the result is a lot of far flung and kinda poor colonies and your current propulsion and communication technologies are keeping them isolated, allowing them to form their own local identities. You see it hapening, you see the pop's culture and ethos shifting away from that of your homeworld and core developed colonies. You can see that these colonies are not really attracting immigration from your core culture because the conditions there are lovely, allowing them to develop locally and isolated, you know what's coming. Eventually those colonies feel less and less part of your empire, they want different policies, they want more autonomy. You keep spending resources keeping things under control but eventually it gets too expensive. And now your rivals are funding separatist movements! Next thing you know you've got a civil war, and it's not just those far flung colonies, it's every group with an axe to grind against your government. In the end your empire is devastated and you're left with nothing more than your core systems. Will some of your newly independent colonies eclipse you? Will you re-build and conquer your old empire? Fun choices!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Riso posted:

the only thing the new colonists need is a sack of flour, shoes and a portrait of the great leader.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Yeah, whatever they do, if there's a natural-feeling "empire breakup" mechanic, it should feel like a relief to grant far-flung colonies autonomy, so that you can concentrate your energy and resources on maintaining what you have. Otherwise it'd feel really unfun to have everything you worked so hard to build up come apart like the game is forcing you to. I could see it like releasing holdings in CK2, making new vassal duchies and such.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Mans posted:

the only thing the new colonists need is a sack of flour, shoes and a portrait of the great leader.

Wrong great leader.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I am most excited to hear about the Stellaris civics system to know how that junk is really going to work because empire ethics seems like the secret sauce for everything interesting and I hope it has decent intelligible gameplay-levers.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Stellaris video showing off the game for 10 minutes including the :siren::siren: SHIP DESIGNER :siren::siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRp7T5irXTQ

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
This week's HOI 4 diary is up. Lend lease, "volunteers", and expeditionary forces.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
"Europa Universal"

Polygon strikes again.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm really getting on this Stellaris hype train.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I'm really getting on this Stellaris hype train.

Polygon would like to inform you that it's called "Stellar".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm really getting on this Stellar's hype train from Paragon, the makers or Universal Europe and Ironhearts and their most recent success Kings 2: the Crusades.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Rakthar posted:

:siren::siren: SHIP DESIGNER :siren::siren:

Doesn't look bad from what we can see, looks pretty simple and there's even an Auto-Complete button and Auto-Generate toggle there.

Game is looking real, real good.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Rakthar posted:

Stellaris video showing off the game for 10 minutes including the :siren::siren: SHIP DESIGNER :siren::siren:

Vindication! :argh:
East vs. West shall live on!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

They did mention you coming up against/finding ancient empire's that have declined and stagnated, that are not doing research anymore. The question that springs to mind, sorta opposite the whole "how to make a empire decline mechanic interesting and fun for the player", is how do you kickstart a stagnated empire? Can the AI do it on its own? On what terms? Obviously it might be bad if one of those big empires went viral just a few time units after you've met them in your dinky 3 planet federation with basic laserz.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Would be really cool if there was a way to start as a federation for a co-op game. (Without making the game trivial)

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

They did mention you coming up against/finding ancient empire's that have declined and stagnated, that are not doing research anymore. The question that springs to mind, sorta opposite the whole "how to make a empire decline mechanic interesting and fun for the player", is how do you kickstart a stagnated empire? Can the AI do it on its own? On what terms? Obviously it might be bad if one of those big empires went viral just a few time units after you've met them in your dinky 3 planet federation with basic laserz.

I'd say coming in to contact with another race is a pretty reasonable criterion for an empire getting it's act back together. Or latest trying.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Perhaps something like a decision that increases your tech rate but also pushes up revolt risk on outlying systems (who aren't happy that you're taking a bunch of extra taxes and giving it to research labs in the core). Can result in issues if you just do it on a whim, but you can pull it off if you take care to keep those outlying systems satisfied, or if there are external factors (like external threats) pushing them into remaining part of your empire.

Or perhaps you can't realistically counteract that revolt risk, and it becomes "trade some outlying systems in order to kickstart the rest of things". Which might be reasonable if you're looking at losing those systems anyway, or something.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Well I know it's controversial, but I'm probably going to buy Stellaris. I'll even play it until I get frustrated and stop.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Well I know it's controversial, but I'm probably going to buy Stellaris. I'll even play it until I get frustrated and stop.

Same. And then a couple months later an expansion will hit, and the cycle will repeat for years.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Rakthar posted:

I'm going to play the gently caress out of this game.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Disco Infiva posted:

I'm going to play the gently caress out of this game.

Tell me about it. I knew from the moment I started seeing that exploration ship going from system to system, exploring every single thing there, that this would be a game that I could spend literal days on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I still have definite qualms about how the later game is going to function in a satisfying way (and suspect absent any evidence that that's what they're working on most right now), but yeah, the potential for the game seems tremendous.