Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Supreme Allah posted:

Don't taint this thread with donner kepab talk, that whole weird thing europe has with them is a peeve of mine. Everyone has them dammit it's not a local delicacy.

CONGRATS to Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, The for winning GOTY at the Game Awards, which sounds pretty official to me http://kotaku.com/the-witcher-3-wins-game-of-the-year-at-the-2015-game-aw-1746116606

Supreme Allah posted:

Does this place do GOTY threads where we track all the GOTY awards, I'm gathering a whole folder of stuff to troll Bloodborne & Fallout folks

I usually don't pay attention to these kinds of popularity contests but there's something really pleasing about Witcher 3 beating Fallout 4 and MGSV.

I even preferred this thread's waifu wars over the FO4 threads' dumb slapfights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

quote:

Best Role Playing Game

Bloodborne
Fallout 4
Pillars of Eternity
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Undertale

lol

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It makes sense for Witcher 3 to win its a more complete package than either MGSV (amazing emergent gameplay, light story) or Fallout 4 (everything's garbage but you can mash garbage together to get minecraft now. Awesome)

Also lol if anybody seriously thought Fallout 4 would win.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Aren't these things usually based more on name recognition than anything?

Also why was one of the weakest performanes in the game nominated for best voice performance in TW3? Or did I answer my own question? I mean Doug Cockle is good as Geralt but almost every performance in TW3 shows more talent and range.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
With that kind of list, it's easily half based on name - Metal Gear Solid and Fallout are legendary IPs, From is relative upstart but rules its niche. The rest are still famous but not close to those three.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

The Sharmat posted:

Aren't these things usually based more on name recognition than anything?

Also why was one of the weakest performanes in the game nominated for best voice performance in TW3? Or did I answer my own question? I mean Doug Cockle is good as Geralt but almost every performance in TW3 shows more talent and range.

are you some sort of retard?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm just saying it wouldn't be that weird if Fallout 4 won due to the strength of the brand.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

I'm just saying it wouldn't be that weird if Fallout 4 won due to the strength of the brand.

I mean I like Fallout 4 too, but I think a lot of people were expecting that to happen.

So I'm glad that it didn't.

MotorCityBadBoy
Nov 15, 2015

The Sharmat posted:

There's this new episodic adventure game out called Blues And Bullets.

I played it just because THE COCKLE voices Elliot Ness. :smug:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Once Doug Cockle became a household name for great performances like Geralt of Rivia, Vlodimir von Everec with Geralt of Rivia's voice, accent and mannerisms, and That One Dude in Captain America; my face was red, I can tell you.

Seriously though, I was suggesting he was only nominated because he voices the main character in the Wild Hunt. Not that he had huge name recognition. I mean, nominate the guy that played the Bloody Baron instead and most of the viewers are gonna have no clue what you're talking about, even though he gave a much better performance. Though even then, if they just wanted to stick to main characters, I think both Yennefer and Ciri do a better job and show more range.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Kiera was the best voiced, that little 'umHmm' when you find her lamp thingy, best delivery ever. Geralt was one-note indeed but you know who really sucked was Dandelion.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah Keira is pretty great. FEMININE INTUITION

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I'm not that far into the game, but I love Geralt performance. Cold, cynical, seems to always be clenching his jaw. I think they find a very good balance between the goody two shoes or evil rear end in a top hat you usually play.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Geralt doesn't call for much overt emoting and Doug Cockle is good in the role. It's when he needs to do something different that he stumbles. It's not that he's bad, he's good. He's just up against some people that are really great and looks worse in comparison.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
There are a couple points where Geralt needs to lose the Batman voice but they mainly involve getting drunk so, I expect, the voice actor took it the easy way and simply got hammered --- the Kaer Morhen witcher drunk-off and the Oxenfurt Drunk quest in particular.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Anyone know a good let's play of witcher 3?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Geralt's voice actor owns...the Polish one :cheers:. But seriously I think he fits Geralt way better than the Batman voice.

Lord_Of_Overstock
Sep 26, 2015

Palpek posted:

Geralt's voice actor owns...the Polish one :cheers:. But seriously I think he fits Geralt way better than the Batman voice.

I just started my second playthrough of this, and I went with the Polish voice acting this time. Should be a nice change of pace. I already like this Geralt more. I'm also playing on death march, and deactivated most of the hud elements.

I'm pretty excited. I haven't touched Heart Of Stone yet. This will probably be the character I do the upcoming expansion with as well.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh man I can't wait to play it in polish once all the expac is out.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

cheesetriangles posted:

Anyone know a good let's play of witcher 3?

I liked this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbYDcVeKEf8&list=PL7RtZMiaOk8gQzAQEjPhlSgLVSe1OpJTv

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I've hit the end of Chapter 1 in Witcher 2 and now I have an odd urge to camp the nekker / malena cave for mutagens , save, do roche's path, come back later and do Iorveth's path. Good idea / bad idea?

Honestly still a little confused as to mutagens overall. Would it be worthwhile to try stacking critical effects mutagens? I seem to mostly be going signs, with a little alchemy and basic swords.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've hit the end of Chapter 1 in Witcher 2 and now I have an odd urge to camp the nekker / malena cave for mutagens , save, do roche's path, come back later and do Iorveth's path. Good idea / bad idea?

Honestly still a little confused as to mutagens overall. Would it be worthwhile to try stacking critical effects mutagens? I seem to mostly be going signs, with a little alchemy and basic swords.

Mutagens aren't that important, you can do whatever caters to your playstyle and not really worry if you are making a poor decision. Effects are cool with sign builds. All three trees are good in Witcher 2, but I believe many people have said that while having the sword tree as your main point dump is effective it isn't as fun in a general sense.

And yes, definitely have a save before the decision leaps into chapter 2, in case you want to do a second play through (you want to do a second play through).

EDIT: The save is nice, but some people do like to start from the beginning since the prologue has some decisions in it as well.

Voxx fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 5, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is it normal to be unable to craft more than one oil, one potion, and one mutagen in six hours? I have all these receipes but I haven't found poo poo; the stuff I pick seems worthless. Like I want to make Swallow but Drowners don't even drop drowner tongues or anything anymore, it's just monster claws. I've never found anything to make a bomb.

quote:

I mean I like Fallout 4 too, but I think a lot of people were expecting that to happen.

I like Fallout 4 more so far but that's because I can't get a handle on the combat. I haven't died yet but more than three enemies and I get wrecked.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 5, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Voxx posted:

Mutagens aren't that important, you can do whatever caters to your playstyle and not really worry if you are making a poor decision. Effects are cool with sign builds. All three trees are good in Witcher 2, but I believe many people have said that while having the sword tree as your main point dump is effective it isn't as fun in a general sense.

And yes, definitely have a save before the decision leaps into chapter 2, in case you want to do a second play through (you want to do a second play through).

EDIT: The save is nice, but some people do like to start from the beginning since the prologue has some decisions in it as well.

Thanks, that's a big help. How different is the third act depending on which path you take? Or are most of the differences in the second act?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Thanks, that's a big help. How different is the third act depending on which path you take? Or are most of the differences in the second act?

The main quests for the third act are different, but you can get the same sidequests, and they share the same endgame boss fights.

Also, congrats on game of the year and best developer!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Witcher 2 went full insane and you get a completely different second chapter depending on your decision to either help Iorveth or Roche and I really mean completely different with different locations, quests, NPCs everything. So yeah it's a good idea to save before choosing because you can later reload and have a whole new part of the game to play through. Also there are a lot decisions that have far-fetching consequences way deep into the game that you have probably already made but you may not have been even aware of.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

RBA Starblade posted:

Is it normal to be unable to craft more than one oil, one potion, and one mutagen in six hours? I have all these receipes but I haven't found poo poo; the stuff I pick seems worthless. Like I want to make Swallow but Drowners don't even drop drowner tongues or anything anymore, it's just monster claws. I've never found anything to make a bomb.

I had a problem crafting Swallow at first too. They probably should have fine-tuned the monster drops in White Orchard a bit.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

You're probably still in the tutorial zone (White Orchard) I'm guessing, or haven't much left it? You'll get TONS more alchemy stuff as the game progresses, I don't remember having more than a couple potions and had to hunt down materials to craft bombs to blow up the nests in White Orchard, you're limited there. So yeah pretty normal, you'll fill out your alchemy arsenal quickly in Velen and Novigrad.

There are a lot of different endings depending on your choices, but as I recall the Iorveth vs. Roche paths differ mainly in the second act which is completely different for each. The third act is very short, doing a second playthrough with the other second act path will mostly serve to give you better context and understanding of the plot and character machinations. So it's less the short third act is super different as it will be put in a different context by the second act path leading up to it. You really need to play both paths (or read a summary) to get a clear idea of what went down.

I'd say just finish one W2 playthrough and start in on W3

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 5, 2015

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Jack of Hearts posted:

I had a problem crafting Swallow at first too. They probably should have fine-tuned the monster drops in White Orchard a bit.

I also recently started this game for the first time, and I feel like they're kind of yanking your chain in the white orchard part. One of the quests is "Hey idiot, make the easiest potion ever. Oh you can't because you don't have any drowner brains and the flower looks like the much more common blowball? Get gud."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pellisworth posted:

You're probably still in the tutorial zone (White Orchard) I'm guessing, or haven't much left it? You'll get TONS more alchemy stuff as the game progresses, I don't remember having more than a couple potions and had to hunt down materials to craft bombs to blow up the nests in White Orchard, you're limited there. So yeah pretty normal, you'll fill out your alchemy arsenal quickly in Velen and Novigrad.

No I left a while ago. I just finished some ruins that gave me a shitload of recipes and items though so nevermind problem solved! Except Swallow. :v:

Also wow you really need a couple whetstones. I nearly broke two silver swords in here!

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
The Celandine herb needed for Swallow is an optional reward for an optional quest, lol. I respect that they did it that way instead of leading you by the nose through a more structured tutorial but uh yea it's one of the weirder miss-ables I've ever seen.

Edit: you can still buy it from pretty much any herbalist. I couldn't be bothered to actually go find the herbs I needed ever so I just bought them all at once at had a massive crafting session.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Just finished Hearts of Stone; quite enjoyable experience. Time to wander around the map to see what secondary quests included in HoS I missed!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm done with Hearts of Stone and I'm not level 39 yet. This is an important problem because I don't have Wulfen hour and so I can't play dolly dress up with the new viper sword and armor. Is there any content that will give me 800 more xp?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm done with Hearts of Stone and I'm not level 39 yet. This is an important problem because I don't have Wulfen hour and so I can't play dolly dress up with the new viper sword and armor. Is there any content that will give me 800 more xp?

time for NG+ Death March minimal UI settings :getin:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

time for NG+ Death March minimal UI settings :getin:

What's NG+ like, anyway? Are there really neat new items? New power levels of crafted armor? I'm wondering if it's really worth it; could just start a regular NG if you want to see other quest choice outcomes. Why play NG+ other than "challenge"?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

pmchem posted:

What's NG+ like, anyway? Are there really neat new items? New power levels of crafted armor? I'm wondering if it's really worth it; could just start a regular NG if you want to see other quest choice outcomes. Why play NG+ other than "challenge"?

I'm not aware of anything unique. It's pretty literally the base game +30 levels to everything. All the Witcher gear sets become "Legendary" versions but otherwise have the same tiers of Enhanced Superior etc.

It might not be too appealing for someone who's just beat it on a normal playthrough, but for a lot of us who bought the game at release this summer it was an awesome feature leading into the expansion release.

There's just so much meat to the storytelling and I guarantee you missed a ton of stuff on your first playthrough. Mostly just an increased challenge, I feel like this is a game many will want to come back and replay in a month or two and NG+ is great for that.

Edit: dimeritium and other high level crafting gear drops like candy from the start, I think I found 4x Dimeritium Ingots in White Orchard. Money and crafting materials are much less of a concern so you can just focus on the combat and questing.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I dunno ng+ is pretty daunting considering this game took me a month to play through real time

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I was staring at a wall for about 4-5 hours this afternoon thinking about what I want wrapped up in this geralt-verse, with the final expansion. I really hope the witcher lodge is featured heavily and I frankly also want to see more of Tamara Strenger and her witch-hunter friend Graden. He was decent enough for a hate-filled sort but I always regretted that poo poo never went down between us, because he seemed he might be a good fight. Maybe the witch-hunters go after the lodge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Holy balls, Cluster Bomb is probably the most disappointing skill in the game (in a selection of aggressively mediocre skills). I thought It would be you throw a bomb, burst into pieces and cause however many explosions where it was going to land. So instead of just hitting an enemy once it'll hit it several times, you know a typical high-end tree skill. Instead, it just explodes on the ground into pieces, fly in different directions then hit absolutely nothing. The physics never are in your favor. Time to respec.

Comte de Saint-Germain, engine developers probably know this and you probably don't interact with them much, but I'd be much obliged if you'd bring up that if a character can't walk down any flight of stairs without doing the "rough landing" animation followed by a roll forward, the movement physics aren't quite good enough. They have to be working on Red Engine's next version for Cyberpunk, so I'd love to see this nonsense gone. See also: any small drop near a ledge of a cliff or at the top of a tower.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 6, 2015