Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

starkebn posted:

What if the ship was rotating to create a downward force perpendicular to the deck?

:colbert:

To be clear, I haven't seen it since it came out and thought it was poo poo then.

I''m not a physicstronaut but that doesn't look like what's happening in the gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

The Sharmat posted:

I''m not a physicstronaut but that doesn't look like what's happening in the gif

yeah, and it wouldn't matter anyway because the little ship would still be moving in the same direction as the big ship when it got pushed off

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

The Sharmat posted:

I''m not a physicstronaut

Octopode if you're still here can you weigh in please tyia.

I still really like the concept of having a dude on the ship who has the job of driving a space bulldozer around to sweep broken ships into space rather than sweeping them back into the hangar.

Dear. Mr. and Mrs. tragic token black female love interest. We regret to inform you that your daughter died in service of the plot. We would return her body but you see she crashed just outside of the door so we had no choice but to order the bulldozer guy to drive out there and push her corpse into space. We're not actually sure she was dead! So there could be hope that she's still alive and you will see her again. Not a lot because if she was still alive she probably would have died of her wounds or just running out of oxygen a few hours later.

LOl but anyways listen to me rant sorry for your loss remember to buy war bonds.

Sincerely,

-:gary:

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 8, 2015

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Dusty Lens posted:

e; Oh shoot Sharmat got sniped.

No he didn't. He asked to be banned.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

CrazyLoon posted:

No he didn't. He asked to be banned.

Oh ok.

Anyways your views on Southpark aren't my favorite.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

What's dumber, the bulldozer pushing a wreck off the flight deck and into a pit, or the fact that they have a flight deck at all?

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Eldragon posted:

What's dumber, the bulldozer pushing a wreck off the flight deck and into a pit, or the fact that they have a flight deck at all?

Could be worse.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Iglocska posted:

Could be worse.

fight me

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Dusty Lens posted:

Oh ok.

Anyways your views on Southpark aren't my favorite.

Would it make you feel better if I admitted that 80% of the reason I even bothered bringing it up was in the hopes of provoking SirTagz?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Justin Tyme posted:

lol wait were there really people arguing that things instantly cool down in space because the ambient temperature is near absolute 0? :psyduck:

Well yeah. Heat transfer is the only thing that's faster than light — didn't you know this? Especially in an environment where it's difficult to even define temperature other than as a point of thermodynamic equilibrium. This is SC, where new science is invented every day for a glorious future!

Dusty Lens posted:

These are all the parts of the movie worth watching in a go tbh.

That's not entirely true. The part where ships fly off into space and “dip” off the deck like carrier-launched aircraft makes it worth it too.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

theorycrafting: I fly my ship fully laden with explosives at 1 km/s straight into your big dumb mining barge and blow it up and your stupid little autism chariot defenders count for nothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LtXeOBnRtY

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Codependent Poster posted:

South Park always has been and will always be funny. It's just your taste has changed or you decided to not like it.

This season of south park is in fact one of the best and funniest they have done in years

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Why walk out when you can outrun?

Justin Tyme posted:

theorycrafting: I fly my ship fully laden with explosives at 1 km/s straight into your big dumb mining barge and blow it up and your stupid little autism chariot defenders count for nothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LtXeOBnRtY

Things like this are why I hope this game does indeed come out.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tippis posted:

That's not entirely true. The part where ships fly off into space and “dip” off the deck like carrier-launched aircraft makes it worth it too.

The part where they are hiding from the Kilrathi, and Jürgen Prochnow tells everyone on the ship to STFU (Octopode) or else they'll be heard and depth charged, as if the movie suddenly became Das Boot.

Oh, sound doesn't carry in space? Whoops!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The part where they are hiding from the Kilrathi, and Jürgen Prochnow tells everyone on the ship to STFU (Octopode) or else they'll be heard and depth charged, as if the movie suddenly became Das Boot.

Oh, sound doesn't carry in space? Whoops!

To be fair, every movie with Jürgen Prochnow is in some way Das Boot. Somehow.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Berious posted:

where else are you going to get the child slaves turret gunners?

Fixed that for you.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Tippis posted:

To be fair, every movie with Jürgen Prochnow is in some way Das Boot. Somehow.

Challenge: How was the original Judge Dredd movie this?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

It's amazing how close these guys are to being self aware.

The whole thread is full of citizens telling the guy off for being naive and gullible enough to believe what CIG and Chris Robert says.:psyduck:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CrazyLoon posted:

Judges were judge, jury, and executioner. No oversight, and rid the city of "undesirables".

They are basically nazis.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It's clear from your post and your responses that all you are seeking is attention. You're upset and attempting to start a conversation with the sole purpose of giving yourself a platform to whine, cry, and scream like a child because you feel entitled to something you're not getting.

Oh. And you're not entitled to a refund.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

CrazyLoon posted:

Oooh.

Dredd — an old hand in the game — once again has to go out to fight an ever more dangerous and enemy, but finds support from home to be drying up and the own leadership to be perhaps the biggest threat. In spite of some early success, friends and companions go missing left and right, and a dangerous order ultimately sends him and his old-time mentor to the bottom of the sea cursed earth. Only through long and arduous struggles is he able to limp back home, where a final cataclysmic event awaits.

Also, something about unreliable machinery that has to be bashed back into order.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Breaking news

https://www.reddit.com/user/Kurt_M (deleted)

Leaving Reddit...friends can still find me at the official forum (self.starcitizen)

submitted 3 hours ago by [deleted]

After a quite big discussion that I had here, and some pondering, I've decided to stop posting and reading comments here, and instead merely visit Reddit as a source of news.

It's not like I'm childish enough as to leave just because of one bad discussion, but in the middle of it I read something that made me think quite a bit:

"The Karma system can lend itself easily to groupthink ... it's a fundamental human need to have the approval of your peers".

I totally agree with that, and I admit that I'm culprit of watching more the karma points than I'd like. So, until that system is removed (something that has been asked quite a few times), I won't be posting here again, except very occasionally.

I plan to be more active on the official forums now, so you'll find me there. Cheers to all! :)

e: this might be old news

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Let me get this straight...

You are leaving us. You are attempting to pull funding from the game we wish made. You are stirring up @#$% on the forum by proclaiming your intent to do so. And, then you are asking for assistance/interaction from the community that you are attempting leave?

Why would any of us care, and how many others who are bailing even bother to read these forums anymore? Are you sure you are not just trolling for attention?

OK, fine.

"Golly, dude. That is tragic."

Now go away already.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Judges were judge, jury, and executioner. No oversight, and rid the city of "undesirables".

They are basically nazis.

They were the best and Dredd is amazing. The newest movie was awesome

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

grimcreaper posted:

Dredd (the new one) cheats. It's a straight-forward, self-contained story in an equally contained location, where they take the time to establish the geography, the characters, and the end goal in the first 15 minutes. The stakes are limited to “get through the day” rather than something grandiose such as saving the world.

Pff. Sensible and easily-grasped scope and well-repsented single-gimmick action. What do they think this is — the 80s?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Only in the SC forums will you find people who will say the things that some of you do. The anniversary sales are time limited. We are pushed into making decisions or possibly missing out. Also, many mechanics and design/game play decisions are unknown at this time. So there are two factors at play.

A pressure to make decisions quickly, or do without caused by CIGs manufactured scarcity sales tactics + a very large black hole of information on information that could affect decisions.

But there is also a 3rd factor. That is the people on the forums that are self flagellating, and are happy to tell everyone else who donates tons of money to help create their dream game that the should not ask to be rewarded for their contributions. Sometimes I wonder why you guys even pledge for ships at all. You should just do it from the kindness of your hearts. Forfeit your ships and keep giving CIG endless amounts of cash.

So to sum up, we have limited sales, a lack of information, and plenty of users on the forums willing to give their money to CIG for free and insulate CIG from any and all responsibility.

It really is hard to know what to do sometimes. But the more this goes on, the more I'm starting to formulate what I might need to do...

Ill just remember that I should keep my mouth shut, not ask for anything, give CIG all of my money, and let everyone else on the forums tell me what I deserve.

quote:

OP use the umelt function when it becomes available again.

Posting inflammatory stuff on the gen board is asking for an rear end-beating.
You didn't post this on the concierge board because you knew we would tell you that you are not a special snowflake. $2600+ LOL lightweight. There are people in the concierge pledging $50.000+ and refuse special treatment or special recognition.

Your thread here causes embarrassment for the concierge donors.

I can assure the community; the vast majority of concierge donors reject any special treatment or rewards. We donated to a dream becoming reality.
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/301600/are-pledge-packs-a-ripoff/p4

this thread is great

Madcosby fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 9, 2015

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Tippis posted:

Oooh.

Dredd — an old hand in the game — once again has to go out to fight an ever more dangerous and enemy, but finds support from home to be drying up and the own leadership to be perhaps the biggest threat. In spite of some early success, friends and companions go missing left and right, and a dangerous order ultimately sends him and his old-time mentor to the bottom of the sea cursed earth. Only through long and arduous struggles is he able to limp back home, where a final cataclysmic event awaits.

Also, something about unreliable machinery that has to be bashed back into order.

Gotta admit, fairly close on the conceptual level at least. Don't quite recall friends and companions going missing left and right in Boot (he sees his Captain friend out at sea and even the crew that loses their minds ect. ultimately pulls through until the very end ofc. But maybe you refer to Jurgen's OG talk he has with his friend at the bar, how the nazi submariners aren't like the old folks that have gone missing) also...Dredd's final cataclysmic event was...yea, whatever it was. But gotta say, you have made my night goon sir. Have a cat picture that kinda has that Jurgen look as a reward:

EDIT: As for which Dredd movie I prefer, welp...the old one is unintentional comedy gold at least on several levels and the new one is actually a surprisingly solid reboot and has Lena Heady rockin' in the villain role a lot better than Armand Assante so...I can go either way TBH. They're both cool for different reasons.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 9, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

grimcreaper posted:

I really need to go to the movies more often...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CrazyLoon posted:

EDIT: As for which Dredd movie I prefer, welp...the old one is unintentional comedy gold at least on several levels and the new one is actually a surprisingly solid reboot and has Lena Heady rockin' in the villain role a lot better than Armand Assante so...I can go either way TBH. They're both cool for different reasons.

-YOU BETRAYED THE LAW!

-LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW!

:allears:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I'm thinking the 30k or so they get per day is all strictly subscriber money and not actually people buying pledges.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

CrazyLoon posted:

Gotta admit, fairly close on the conceptual level at least. Don't quite recall friends and companions going missing left and right in Boot (he sees his Captain friend out at sea and even the crew that loses their minds ect. ultimately pulls through until the very end ofc. But maybe you refer to Jurgen's OG talk he has with his friend at the bar, how the nazi submariners aren't like the old folks that have gone missing) also...Dredd's final cataclysmic event was...yea, whatever it was. But gotta say, you have made my night goon sir. Have a cat picture that kinda has that Jurgen look as a reward:

Yay. Catte.

And yes, it's the other old hand that goes missing, as do a few other u-boats, iirc. I don't remember if anyone dies during the first attempt at Gibraltar, but someone gets shot up at least.

Now I have to re-watch Das Boot just because of that.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

A Citizen posted:

goons are from SomethingAwful.com forums. they've been around for like a decade at least. They have quite the reputation around the internet. depending who you ask they're either a sociopathic bunch of griefers or they're cool legit gamers who use "meta tactics" in games. you can visit their forums and get the general tone. They're constantly trolling and defend everything they do by just saying they're kidding around and shouldn't be taken seriously. Then they demand to be taken seriously - really, they're kind of like "bad dogs" that love whatever attention they get, good, bad, doesn't matter. they'll piss on your floor just to hear you scream because they don't care about the difference between positive and negative reactions. to them it's just the attention they care about.
feel free to just google "goons videogames" or "goons SA (or something awful)" and you'll find enough info to make you either hate them on sight or want to join their forum and pay 10 bucks for posting privileges.

I mean I feel like this isn't an entirely inaccurate description of our presence in games. We are both a sociopathic bunch of griefers as well as cool legit gamers using meta tactics. We started off in Eve being the underdogs taking potshots at the most sperg of all the massive spergs, but along our way to total domination we definitely Became What We Hated Most at at several points.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

El Grillo posted:

I mean I feel like this isn't an entirely inaccurate description of our presence in games. We are both a sociopathic bunch of griefers as well as cool legit gamers using meta tactics. We started off in Eve being the underdogs taking potshots at the most sperg of all the massive spergs, but along our way to total domination we definitely Became What We Hated Most at at several points.

Well, the average outsider's opinion of gamer goons is entirely based off those who play EVE. You see a goon play DOTA? Yap...automatically must be an EVE goon, that's why it's okay to poo poo all over any goon in advance in any game you encounter them. 2 years back, when I tried to present myself as one of the faces of piracy in the brown sea of CIG forums (and when I still thought this whole thing was something other than CR and Sandi's ticket back to Hollywood), I pretty much went through similar proceeds when SC's white knights equated and lumped me right alongside self-proclaimed pirates like Shankerz and Seraph regularly. So needless to say, I very quickly got why this kind of analysis gets tedious in its base inaccuracy.

So while I can't attest as to how accurate that analysis is for EVE goons, I have to say that in the 2 years I've looked at SA from the outside and the 3 months I've posted here...nah, it's still mainly uninformed horseshit.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 9, 2015

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Thank you to everyone who forum safaris for our amusement. You are doing a great service.

That refund reply mail ranting about the Escapist is fantastic and definitely written by Sandi. I hope someone can PM that poor guy about a chargeback because he got dogpiled hardcore by ignorant fanatics.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

CrazyLoon posted:

Well, the average outsider's opinion of gamer goons is entirely based off those who play EVE. You see a goon play DOTA? Yap...automatically must be an EVE goon, that's why it's okay to poo poo all over any goon in advance in any game you encounter them. 2 years back, when I tried to present myself as one of the faces of piracy in the brown sea of CIG forums (and when I still thought this whole thing was something other than CR and Sandi's ticket back to Hollywood), I got equated and lumped by said white knights alongside self-proclaimed pirates like Shankerz and Seraph regularly.

So while I can't attest as to how accurate that analysis is for EVE goons, I have to say that in the 2 years I've looked at SA from the outside and the 3 months I've posted here...nah, it's still mainly uninformed horseshit.

I'm guessing that this isn't exactly improved by the large presence of EVE refugees over at SC, many of which have fled there to get away from the “griefing” (actually just PvP) that the EVE goons quickly became the postercritters of.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Tippis posted:

I'm guessing that this isn't exactly improved by the large presence of EVE refugees over at SC, many of which have fled there to get away from the “griefing” (actually just PvP) that the EVE goons quickly became the postercritters of.

Given that in 2013-2014 one of the most prominent CIG mods was confirmed through e-detective work to have lost all his poo poo in EVE, and hence was the reason why he probated an utterly well-spoken and polite goon for a week under false pretense and tried to pick a war with Starfleet Dental...weeeeellll....

And yea. The old PACT white knight coalition (lol...dunno if those saps even still exist) even existed to begin with, started from Blue Horizon's guild leader, who was a refugee from EVE and really started it to preempt goons coming over. Plus that Tannhouser dipshit with SUN, who named a fictional manuever after himself and was also on the record for hating goon guts for Burn Jita.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Tippis posted:

Dredd (the new one) cheats. It's a straight-forward, self-contained story in an equally contained location, where they take the time to establish the geography, the characters, and the end goal in the first 15 minutes. The stakes are limited to “get through the day” rather than something grandiose such as saving the world.

Pff. Sensible and easily-grasped scope and well-repsented single-gimmick action. What do they think this is — the 80s?

The movie WAS basicly coined as "a regular day for judge Dredd."

But drat did they do everything right. Except for that loving scowl on dredd. I wanted to punch him.

I AM THE LAWWWWWWWWWQQWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 9, 2015

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

grimcreaper posted:

The movie WAS basicly coined as "a regular day for judge Dredd."

But drat did they do everything right. Except for that loving scowl on dredd. I wanted to punch him.

I AM THE LAWWWWWWWWWQQWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

I adore Karl Urban for keeping the helmet on through the entire movie. Also he's a dream boat.

I feel that the new Dredd was an underrated movie. It probably deserves at least one more run around the block.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Madcosby posted:

Let me get this straight...

You are leaving us. You are attempting to pull funding from the game we wish made. You are stirring up @#$% on the forum by proclaiming your intent to do so. And, then you are asking for assistance/interaction from the community that you are attempting leave?

Why would any of us care, and how many others who are bailing even bother to read these forums anymore? Are you sure you are not just trolling for attention?

OK, fine.

"Golly, dude. That is tragic."

Now go away already.

imagine being the person who would make this post (I know it's not you cosby).

just imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

To be fair eve goons are mostly poo poo who make fart noises

• Locked thread