Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Concordat posted:

Hot tips on how to deal with snipers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMX5bzgN594

My advice to this guy to deal with snipers would be not playing Hardcore but his way works too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Do you guys have any tips on how to find good servers?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

James The 1st posted:

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/how-to-have-your-first-lucid-dream.html

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Kibayasu posted:

My advice to this guy to deal with snipers would be not playing Hardcore but his way works too.

Alternatively, if you're team is going to lose due to said snipers, you may as well have fun as support and pop smoke in all of it's various forms directly in front of them.

DA PANET EARF
Jun 14, 2011

James The 1st posted:

These are mine if you want to give them a go, but badmins are present no matter what you choose. Big settings to keep in mind are player cound, presets, map rotation, PW protection, type, player settings, rules and advanced.

Also looking at this made me edit vehicle spawn delay to 75-100%, becuase i realised the only thing more miserable than an instant vehicle spawn server is a delayed vehicle spawn server. Seriously, some of you may not believe me, but trust me, it is misery.

DA PANET EARF fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 9, 2015

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
M1014 with slugs and an ACOG is my favorite DMR

it also sounds sexy as hell

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

DA PANET EARF posted:

Also looking at this made me edit vehicle spawn delay to 75-100%, becuase i realised the only thing more miserable than an instant vehicle spawn server is a delayed vehicle spawn server. Seriously, some of you may not believe me, but trust me, it is misery.

Hah, I was about to jump in and suggest that you change this exact thing. gently caress instant vehicle respawn.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

PittTheElder posted:

Hah, I was about to jump in and suggest that you change this exact thing. gently caress instant vehicle respawn.

As bad as both these things are? Just imagine a Rush server with zero vehicle spawns. Now imagine it on Golmud or Paracel. There's a server that ran those rules. And bullshit that Zavod Night requires infrared, so many goddamn laser sights and flashlights, it's funny. Tac light/supressor/red dot on my SKS and I spent the last time just screwing around.

MotorCityBadBoy
Nov 15, 2015
Explosive snowball fights are back on the CTE for the holidays. Looks like they're testing night versions of Golmud and Shanghai too?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Sandweed posted:

Skill is worthless.

Says someone who didn't just get up to 627 on the skill-o-meter. :smug:

Anyway according to Game Tracker there are a million fully populated servers but I cannot find any of these using the garbage search in Battlelog.

http://www.gametracker.com/search/bf4/?sort=3&order=DESC

Taking a closer look at those servers though they all look absolutely loving terrible so maybe its best I can't find them.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Dec 10, 2015

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
I had the unfortunate pleasure of being the only effective counter to the opposing team's tank and IFV in a round of Zavod last night. The real kicker is that I was in the Mobile AA the entire time. Apparently tank and IFV drivers find MAAs with zunis absolutely terrifying cause they would often just run away from me.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Concordat posted:

I had the unfortunate pleasure of being the only effective counter to the opposing team's tank and IFV in a round of Zavod last night. The real kicker is that I was in the Mobile AA the entire time. Apparently tank and IFV drivers find MAAs with zunis absolutely terrifying cause they would often just run away from me.

Probably because you pump out a near constant stream of 20/30mm fire and rockets that most tankers can't shrug off between reloads. Most of the engineer's rockets feel next to useless against tanks and IFVs at the moment.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I am the guy who laser paints vehicles, but nobody ever wants to train rockets on them. :(

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

sitchelin posted:

I am the guy who laser paints vehicles, but nobody ever wants to train rockets on them. :(
Which rockets work for that?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

James The 1st posted:

LAW, Javelin, SRAW.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Says someone who didn't just get up to 627 on the skill-o-meter. :smug:

Anyway according to Game Tracker there are a million fully populated servers but I cannot find any of these using the garbage search in Battlelog.

http://www.gametracker.com/search/bf4/?sort=3&order=DESC

Taking a closer look at those servers though they all look absolutely loving terrible so maybe its best I can't find them.

You can bet that easily more than 3/4's those servers are Hardcore or 24/7 Locker/Metro or both so if you don't search for those it'll be severely reduced.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

James The 1st posted:

Pretty much everything except the RPG and SMAW.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Love the SMAW

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

http://gfycat.com/GrimyRelievedCassowary

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

sitchelin posted:

Same. I like to think that it panics people though.

Got a lot more assists before the SRAW nerf, though I have a feeling that many people still didn't realise it could lock on.

Remember when RPGs could lock on in the beta? Now that was mental.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

I have a new idol. :allears:

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

sitchelin posted:

Pretty much everything except the RPG and SMAW.
Got it, thanks guys.

Is there a good run down anywhere of the different tank shells? The in game descriptions are pretty vague.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Sabot have the least drop, good against choppers and long distance tank combat, AP shell have more drop but the best splash damage for killing infantry, a good all around shell.

HE shell I have no idea about they changed it last patch.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sandweed posted:

Sabot have the least drop, good against choppers and long distance tank combat, AP shell have more drop but the best splash damage for killing infantry, a good all around shell.

HE shell I have no idea about they changed it last patch.

Looking at the patch notes it seems they didn't change anything the damage the Sabot and AP shell do against anything so I think the HE shell (which is now HE-DP, for Dual Purpose) still does the most damage against armor, but less, but got better against infantry and moves slightly faster?

I'm kind of confused too since that would be a kind of redundant shell to have with AP but unless you're playing on a map like Zavod and maybe Shanghai or Dawnbreaker you should use Sabot all the time regardless. Caspian would be a "maybe" too if you like to be suicidal and bring a tank to C or D all the time.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
HE is the least damage against armor in exchange for the highest splash damage vs inf.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

New Concept Hole posted:

HE is the least damage against armor in exchange for the highest splash damage vs inf.

Not accurate. HE does most damage against armor, with reduced splash compared to AP. It should really be named HEAT for what it does. This information is outdated, see below.

New Concept Hole posted:

From the Fall patch notes:
Main Battle Tanks Primary: HE Shell
With Sabot shells covering the anti-armor role, HE has been turned into HE-DP (high explosive, dual purpose), offering better damage against infantry. Great against destructible cover.
Blast damage increased to 120 from 50
Inner blast radius reduced to 1.3m from 1.5m
Blast radius increased to 5.5m from 4m
Reload time reduced to 3s from 4s
Damage reduced to 200 from 280
Velocity increased to 200 from 150
Renamed to HE-DP
Physics: Impact impulse reduced to 1500 from 5000
Physics: Blast impulse reduced to 1500 from 5000

Its role is opposite of the Sabot(Pure Anti-Armor), and excels vs infantry better than AP Shells in exchange for much lower damage vs armor.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 11, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

Not accurate. HE does most damage against armor, with reduced splash compared to AP. It should really be named HEAT for what it does.

That makes no sense.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That makes no sense.

It's also not even how it works anymore.

Sabot - Highest v. lowest r.
HE - Lowest v. Highest r.
AP - in between.

And I thought DICE was supposed to have renamed HE to HEAP and AP to HEDP but I guess not. Or maybe they renamed it in game but not on battlelog.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Beach Bum posted:

Not accurate. HE does most damage against armor, with reduced splash compared to AP. It should really be named HEAT for what it does.
Main Battle Tanks Primary: HE Shell
With Sabot shells covering the anti-armor role, HE has been turned into HE-DP (high explosive, dual purpose), offering better damage against infantry. Great against destructible cover.
Blast damage increased to 120 from 50
Inner blast radius reduced to 1.3m from 1.5m
Blast radius increased to 5.5m from 4m
Reload time reduced to 3s from 4s
Velocity increased to 200 from 150
Renamed to HE-DP
Physics: Impact impulse reduced to 1500 from 5000
Physics: Blast impulse reduced to 1500 from 5000

Its role is opposite of the Sabot(Pure Anti-Armor), and excels vs infantry better than AP Shells in exchange for much lower damage vs armor.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

New Concept Hole posted:

This would be the key part in terms of damage against other tanks.. Without knowing what the damage values are for the other shells, or taking the time to test them in-game, its hard to say what does the most damage against armor now.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Kibayasu posted:

This would be the key part in terms of damage against other tanks.. Without knowing what the damage values are for the other shells, or taking the time to test them in-game, its hard to say what does the most damage against armor now.

Sabot and AP still do the same amount of damage(as in pre-patch and also as compared to one another), so something like 230 IIRC.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Well gently caress me running, I didn't know they patched it. My bad, I'll edit my post.

I'm not used to change :downs:

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
I switched to HE when I saw it did more damage to armor, but I guess I'm switching back to AP.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 12, 2015

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

James The 1st posted:

:siren: Vehicle-based and static TOW launchers, including the IFV and Murderboat launchers :siren: Feel free to have a javelin squad tool around in your LAV, with the driver having the supply perk that refills nearby soldier ammo -- your gunner should be lasing targets. There is a glitch where the driver sometimes cannot see lased targets unless he's an engineer with a lasable weapon however, so let him know you're lasing. Laser guided TOWs also wreck jets if the jet doesn't gently caress off after countermeasuring.

The murderboat will also launch pairs of terrain-following laser-guided lockon murdermissiles at lased targets if you so choose. You should always have TOW or laser missiles for the boat on Shanghai, then just chill out tossing guided doom with the aid of a pal with PLD. Same for the new Gulf of Oman, don't underestimate how quick it throws them out and reloads to do it all over again.

Tank guided shells can do it but nobody uses those because they're stupid and awful. The one use case (shooting jeeps etc.) is better accomplished with the versatile canister shell without providing any delay or warning to the target.

Speaking of tanks: Before they ruined them, the "HE" shells also had great arc and great damage against armor; you could easily job shells from behind cover and also one-shot aircraft, but they've hosed all those benefits up and none of them are true anymore. Don't use HE shells anymore.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
sabot or gtfo

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is it even possible to get a kill with the AA Mine? Because I don't think it is.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is it even possible to get a kill with the AA Mine? Because I don't think it is.

They were pretty handy on Outbreak since the map is so compact. Sucks that the terrain has to be perfectly level or they can't be put down.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

When doing the assignment, I did it on paracel storm. You need to use stingers to funnel your prey over the mine. Set yourself up so that in order to get away from your lock, they are likely to head to your mine. Launching the stinger causes them to blow flares. Then you have to hope they have already been damaged.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Sometimes. I think the bug-now-feature of rockets randomly killing passengers works with them. I've caught little birds with them, had the helo survive but still got a kill out of it. Failing that, just coordinate your mines with a squad mate and hope yours fired second.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
Dragon Valley out tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Patch out now.

Gametime users can now only play on official servers.

• Locked thread