Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Reminder: this game will never ever be a space mmo.

Unless they redefine massively to minimal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
If they have artificial gravity tech how come the space station needs rotating rings?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Soon we can all crash horribly enjoy Star Citizen Alpha 2.0. Just in time for the december sale!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Nation posted:

Reminder: this game will never ever be a space mmo.

Unless they redefine massively to minimal

they could just add minimal though

mmmo

it's the star citizen way of things

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Amarcarts posted:

If they have artificial gravity tech how come the space station needs rotating rings?

:smug: it's not rotating dude axial velocity is relative :smug:

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Amarcarts posted:

The rotating ring isn't for gravity. It contains 10,000 hamsters running on it to generate power.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Kamikraze Org wins again. Godspeed, citizens!

Sarsapariller posted:

Ship with literal swords built into it for ramming decides to ram- is described as "rear end in a top hat." News at 11.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3w85ak/glaive_being_an_asshole_ptu_20k_113/

Our founding member

ZenMaster fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 10, 2015

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Daztek posted:

Soon we can all crash horribly enjoy Star Citizen Alpha 2.0. Just in time for the december sale!

Yeah I'm pretty sure that they will push this to live in time for (or the day of) the sale, whether it's broken or not.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Ship with literal swords built into it for ramming decides to ram- is described as "rear end in a top hat." News at 11.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3w85ak/glaive_being_an_asshole_ptu_20k_113/

God drat that was hilarious. That almost makes that thing worth the 600 bucks or whatever that it cost.

Oh wait, no it doesn't. Still hilarious though.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Amarcarts posted:

Because no one at CIG actually ever thinks about things before implementing them, or thinks about them before telling people they're going to implement them.

Which is why 90% of the proposed game mechanics type poo poo is just Crobbits hand waving and making poo poo up on the fly, and makes very little sense and likely won't be implemented as promised, or ever.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
they made a space billiards simulator

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Erenthal posted:

Okay, I'm having a real hard time keeping up with all the new cult terminology, but what the gently caress is "unmelt"? I get that melting is turning ships* into store credit to buy other ships**, but how do you unmelt? You turn store credit into ships? Isn't that what, you know, a store does anyway?

Unmelting is when you contact customer support and ask them to let you re-buy a package you have already melted. So if you melted down ship A to buy ship B, then come across some more disposable income you would like piss away, you can get customer support to restore ship A and let you re-buy it.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

TTerrible posted:

Arggghh another E:D feature that was derided by SC fans as poo poo because Croberts didn't think to include it in VISION 1.0 and now it's coming it is an amazing genre redefining moment. How do these people do this :psyduck:
We have never been at war with Procedural Generation.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

hanales posted:

As a person that does not play space sims nor know anything about space travel beyond star wars, is that in some way realistic? it's really weird and looks like goat simulator or something.

As other said they seem to have no mass or inertia at all. They stop dead and turn instantly. Massively overdamped.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Daztek posted:

Hi everyone! I've been looking into this game for awhile now. I must admit that at first I was skeptical that a game of this magnitude (and caliber) could actually be delivered. However, after seeing the funding status and some actual gameplay from people I'm convinced that this is do-able. CIG really has some spectacular developers on hand.

So, I went out and purchased the Constellation Andromeda Game Package. Got everything downloaded and went to check out the ship in the hangar. Wow! Was really impressed by the level of detail and interact-able objects in the ship! I even got a little futuristic golf cart to play around in!

My biggest question right now is what all can I do? I've seen the Arena Commander options and whatnot, but I'm a little confused. Can I fly my new ship around? (or is it even 'ready'?) As a new user what all can I do to interact with the world? And how does one get into this PTU?

Thanks guys! Really looking forward to being a member of the community!
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to crash your ship into every ship you encounter in the PTU.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 10, 2015

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

https://testsquadron.com/auroracrash/

SC 2.0 is live!!!!! :O

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
FULL BURN
Kickin' it to overdrive
FULL BURN
Soon I'll be by your sii-ii-iide
And you'll seeeee
That the only thing in this verse
Is you and meeeee

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

FULL BURN
Kickin' it to overdrive
FULL BURN
Spend more on LTI---IIII
And you'll seeeee
That the only thing the netcode can support
Is you and meeeee

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013

This is incredible.

Also can you still crash ships if you have an account that no longer has any packages on it?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amtBUkmHS0w

A space game in space with spaceships that actually looks fun. You'll need an Oculus Rift so it's about the same price as a Star Citizen jpeg.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

TTerrible posted:

That video really shows the ships moving like players in noclip mode. It is weird as gently caress.

Ship movment and physics is jank af. FPS movments are jank af. I mean, the player controlller has all the quality you'd find in a steam greenlight "passion project" with 2 devs using stock unity assets. This is one of the many reasons I question CIG's programming "talent." It's like they scooped up a bunch of cheapo junior Enterprise Java devs whose only notable achievement is hiding stealthmode in the corporate folds avoiding layoffs, hoping these do-nothing code-monkeys would magically become 10x'ers and miracle-hack a viable game engine over top of legacy CryEngine, which has only ever been good at "make look pretty" and has bunk netcode in the first place.

I guarantee you the senior (expensive) CryTek guys CIG poached took one look at the bumblefuck cludge of CIG shitcode and said, "Oh HELL no" and loving git init'd the repo.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

At least it's on Steam now

This is pretty much the best poo poo ever.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Daztek posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amtBUkmHS0w

A space game in space with spaceships that actually looks fun. You'll need an Oculus Rift so it's about the same price as a Star Citizen jpeg.

That's not a true pre-alpha though. That's probably a sigma build and its been in development since May 2003.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

TTerrible posted:

As other said they seem to have no mass or inertia at all. They stop dead and turn instantly. Massively overdamped.

Here is what I think is happening:
Croberts wants fighter plane turning battles and G-induced blackouts, right? Jet fighters can pull 9 Gs in real life. To replicate this in a spaceship without fudging the physics, the thrusters have to be capable of 9 Gs acceleration. That's fast as gently caress, which is why the ships seem to accelerate instantly. (Anyone with alpha access want to test the actual acceleration in the game?)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FULL BURN
Kickin' it to overdrive
FULL BURN
Soon I'll be by your sii-ii-iide
And you'll seeeee
That the only thing in this verse
Is you and meeeee

this made me laugh out loud at work gently caress you

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3w5z22/thank_you_austincig/

I never really believed they would release such a public statement... at least Doctor Smart's credibility is restored

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

TTerrible posted:

Arggghh another E:D feature that was derided by SC fans as poo poo because Croberts didn't think to include it in VISION 1.0 and now it's coming it is an amazing genre redefining moment. How do these people do this :psyduck:

Autism

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

phosdex posted:

every post by that wesha guy i've seen has him mentioning how much he's spent

wesha and thylbanna nyx posts have made my cringe muscles strong enough to bend steel.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Amarcarts posted:

Portrait of a Shitizen: Part 1
I can't be certain of any of this, but it's the best lens I have through which I view what's going on here:

It's actually kind of a mistake that 'Sperg' and 'Autism Chariot' are the typical derogatory terms that are thrown out there because I think a lot of the poo poo Lords that make these game communities so toxic are actually not as far on the spectrum as the terms imply. I tend to think of someone far on the spectrum as not understanding social interactions, whereas the poo poo Lord actually has a rather average or even elevated understanding, but are unsuccessful and/or only semi-competent in practice, possibly because of more general personality flaws and/or other life blockers (kids, poor, fat, ugly, etc.). I tend to think of a true autist as more solitary. Sure they don't like being ganked, and would be happy playing X3 instead of EVE online, except EVE online is more interesting from a numbers standpoint because the economy is dynamic and less predictable. It is a higher level of challenge to figure out and exploit.

The key psychological phenomena with the poo poo Lords is that they feel socially powerless IRL so they are looking to compensate for this in-game. You see these types all the time crawling their way up guild hierarchies or running their own guilds so they can start at the top. A common role they try to play is that of the "benevolent dictator". This is why I think these people are not autistic. The veneer of friendliness hiding their anger and craving for social control is actually quite calculated and illustrates an understanding, if only unconsciously, of many principles underlying social interaction. The veneer undoubtedly works on many people who for whatever reason can't see past it, or are tolerant enough of such personalities because of their own overwhelming desire to belong to an in-group (the less ambitious, "approval seeking" personalities of their Shitizen followers are similar but these people perhaps do not have the severe degree of overcompensation that I describe below).

I do not want to call the I see the poo poo Lord as a more or less average person crippled by a combination inferiority complex complicated by overcompensation with a narcissistic superiority complex and emotional immaturity. A King Baby. What they crave is true loyalty, power, and status (understandably human desires that most healthy people have). The root of the pathology though is the inferiority complex. For a variety of reasons they don't love themselves, making healthy relationships extremely difficult. This manifests in depression and is why you tend to see addictions and general impulse control behavior in these types. (I can't help but notice the gifts of alcohol to CIG devs and the liquor bottles proudly on display in the bachelor pad).

Stay tuned for Part 2 coming soon!

This book is becoming real.

Thank you.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

this was really good too

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

Dunite posted:

This is incredible.

Also can you still crash ships if you have an account that no longer has any packages on it?

Buy $45 package. Enjoy crashing your Aurora or Mustang into things.

Unless you can find someone to give you one of those $30 ones.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Before my kids opened their daily LEGO advent calendar the other night, my 5-year old said, "I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT IT IS TODAY. IT'S A PLANE." After opening the door he squinted at the pieces for a moment. It was actually a bulldozer. He ignored most of the set, put together 4 random pieces, and flew it around like a plane saying, "SEE [BROTHER], TOLD YOU!"

That's my Derek Smart Star Citizen Christmas story. God bless.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3w5z22/thank_you_austincig/

I never really believed they would release such a public statement... at least Doctor Smart's credibility is restored

You know, even if they were joking, I feel like it was a little callous of them to end with "Don't let the door hit you on the way out."

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

BMan posted:

Here is what I think is happening:
Croberts wants fighter plane turning battles and G-induced blackouts, right? Jet fighters can pull 9 Gs in real life. To replicate this in a spaceship without fudging the physics, the thrusters have to be capable of 9 Gs acceleration. That's fast as gently caress, which is why the ships seem to accelerate instantly. (Anyone with alpha access want to test the actual acceleration in the game?)

Bingo. Very well put. This is exactly why ships just seem to float without mass or inertia. Its not that they don't have have mass, its that the maneuvering thrusters are insanely powerful.

Spergs in the brown sea did the math on the actual thruster acceleration, I'm not going to bother looking it up. Suffice it to say there are a lot of pissed spergs that space combat they dreamed up ended up being WW2 dogfighting in space.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ragequit posted:

Before my kids opened their daily LEGO advent calendar the other night, my 5-year old said, "I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT IT IS TODAY. IT'S A PLANE." After opening the door he squinted at the pieces for a moment. It was actually a bulldozer. He ignored most of the set, put together 4 random pieces, and flew it around like a plane saying, "SEE [BROTHER], TOLD YOU!"

That's my Derek Smart Star Citizen Christmas story. God bless.

Pro tier parenting right here.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Iglocska posted:

Poor Rommel88mm, he is just a well adjusted player wanting to have some fun.

A guy that's probably a real life nazi is named after a historical nazi that repeatedly lost to Monty's drunkards and conscripts loses to the superior ramming tactics of his enemy. This is great on every level.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Eldragon posted:

Bingo. Very well put. This is exactly why ships just seem to float without mass or inertia. Its not that they don't have have mass, its that the maneuvering thrusters are insanely powerful.

Spergs in the brown sea did the math on the actual thruster acceleration, I'm not going to bother looking it up. Suffice it to say there are a lot of pissed spergs that space combat they dreamed up ended up being WW2 dogfighting in space.

Did they artificially limit these ships to a top speed, or can you just keep thrusting at 9g forever? I assume it's the first, and this highlights for me how Asteroids had a more realistic physics model than any 3d space combat sim.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Eldragon posted:

That doesn't fully explain this poo poo:

The larger ship goes spinning off like a top. It doesn't react like its mass is commensurate to its size at all. It looks unnatural, like it's a balloon space ship instead of an actual one made of metal and glass.

That's not a function of thruster power, because it's not reacting to its thrusters. It's because it hasn't got enough weight to it.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 10, 2015

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

starkebn posted:

What are you going to do in this 'game' when it's finished?

Throw it on the pile of digital cruft I have taking up digital space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Filthy Hans posted:

Did they artificially limit these ships to a top speed, or can you just keep thrusting at 9g forever? I assume it's the first, and this highlights for me how Asteroids had a more realistic physics model than any 3d space combat sim.

Yes top speed does in fact have to be limited. Even with Asteroids if you keep accelerating forever you eventually crash the game (or hit a top speed). Top speed has to be limited for gameplay purposes if you want human controlled anything.

tooterfish posted:

That doesn't fully explain this poo poo:

The larger ship goes spinning off like a top. It doesn't react like its mass is commensurate to its size at all. It looks unnatural, like it's a balloon space ship instead of an actual one made of metal and glass.

That's not a function of thruster power, because it's not reacting to its thrusters. It's because it hasn't got enough weight to it.

I was only talking about the ships looking goofy when flying around. When it comes to collisions or any number of goofy poo poo... Are you telling me SC is a buggy mess? I'm shocked! SHOCKED!

• Locked thread