Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Isn't this where CIG gets their furniture from?

The New Yorker: Restoration Hardware’s Mail-Order Extravagance:

quote:

The first stirrings of dissent came from the UPS drivers. In May, they began posting on Brown Café, an anonymous message board, about the thirty-three-hundred-page catalogue bundles sent out by the furniture company Restoration Hardware. “My building for the last few days is slammed with RH catalogues (17 pounds each) with another trailer full coming in next week,” one wrote. “We’ve been running helpers to try to keep up. I can’t believe we’re the only ones getting pounded with these.” Shift workers who unloaded the pallets complained of back strain. One driver described orders to give the catalogues to passersby, if necessary, rather than return them to UPS distribution centers. “Was loaded down with those darn mags again today,” another wrote. “I see them all over my route in the recycle bins.”

Then, customers rebelled. In Palo Alto, seven volunteers returned two thousand pounds of the catalogues to a Restoration Hardware store in one day, on hand trucks. Erin Gates, an interior designer in Boston, rallied her blog readers to remove their names from the mailing list, explaining that the catalogues are useless, because they don’t contain product dimensions. Some who received the books have proposed alternate uses: dog toy, home-fitness equipment. Melanie Johnson, an origami artist in California, is rolling the pages into paper-bead jewelry. A UPS driver suggested the catalogue would make a handy wheel chock in an emergency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
If you put a Star Shitizen space plane on a treadmill will it fly?

Edit: Just noticed that most Shitizen videos of the FPS poo poo show gun models and gun sounds that are practically identical to guns and sound files in the Crysis games. Crytek is cool with them blatantly ripping off their stuff?

Avalanche fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 11, 2015

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Reddit: Mouse pad smell

quote:

"Did anyone pick up a mouse pad from the SC store?

I got both a jacket (which turned out great in the end btw!) and an RSI mousepad but after getting one and setting it up I noticed a strange taste in my mouth. (No I didn't put the mousepad in my mouth).

I noticed the pad has this horrible rubbery chemical smell and figured that I was inhaling whatever industrial chemicals this thing was made out of. I have it soaking in water and soap in the hopes that I can remove the smell but seriously, is Chris Roberts trying to poison me?"
It's tetrachloroethylene. (Ancient Chinese secret!)

But don't worry-- the smell fades quickly once the toxins do enough damage to your brain's olfactory processing.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 11, 2015

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Avalanche posted:

If you put a Star Shitizen space plane on a treadmill will it fly?

First, you have the make the plane... And the treadmill.

Just picture for a minute, a treadmill Designed by Chris Roberts, the savior of weight loss. It would start with a bold vision, never before seen. A treadmill, WITH AN INCLINE! Stretch goals could inclu... no, im not gonna finish this.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Sillybones posted:

What the hell am I reading?

Edit: And then I read the thread. God drat.

Some people need to stfu, stop reading internet bs and actually attend a physics class. Holy poo poo.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

http://youtubedoubler.com/h68j

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

Sillybones posted:

Incorrect. By the bullet example it is impossible to jump in an elevator going down. However if you jump and the elevator is traveling up you will rocket through the roof. I vote for these physics to be implemented.

My sense of humor is lost on you =/

edit: I already knew what you said. that was the point.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/294597/social-etiquete

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Barnsy posted:

Some people need to stfu, stop reading internet bs and actually attend a physics class. Holy poo poo.

f=a

e=c^2

ke=1/2v^2

d=v

M=L

Planck's Constant= [PLACEHOLDER FIXX ME]

PV=T

momentum=v

loving goons don't know poo poo about real physix

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Every time I see one of these guys mentioning RSI implementing a reputation system, I keep thinking of Second Life and why they dumped it. They don't realize reputation systems can be gamed, right?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Ffycchi posted:

My sense of humor is lost on you =/

edit: I already knew what you said. that was the point.

Just goes to show how hard you can trigger people with bad physics arguments.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Avalanche posted:

f=a

e=c^2

ke=1/2v^2

d=v

M=L

Planck's Constant= [PLACEHOLDER FIXX ME]

PV=T

loving goons don't know poo poo about real physix

our entire post can be summerized as e=EmcHmr³

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

How much social rep do you lose for spending your kid's college fund on jpgs?

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

flyboi posted:

Hey it's an admission by elite themselves don't hate god drat

Actually its not, DB stated that Dev on ED started at the time of the kickstarter.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

quote:

In more important SC news, I finally picked up the canvas print I ordered a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, considering the employees at the printing shop weren't very helpful in telling me whether the image was too dark or bright enough for canvas printing. It was also one of the lower res SC artworks I've been able to find, but one of my favourites for sure. The dark areas came out a bit too dark, but not nearly as dark as this photo I took with my LG phone makes them look. Will definitely get more SC art canvas printed, especially now that I have a general idea of how it'll look like. Not too pricy either. 25€ for a 45x25cm print, wooden frame included.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

G0RF posted:

I guess your misread my intent in posting that. My joke fell flat.

I just think it's hilarious that the Million Mile High club is chewing up any dev cycles-- that they are trying to up the player count for the ultra exclusive in-game sausage party seems so typical. Like spending so much time trying to get the most high fidelity explosions ever seen in game-- when your spaceships still fly around like balsa wood.

Speaking of jokes that fall flat-- did anybody watch the ending of "Around the Verse"? The Ben and Sandi dynamic seems to be getting more awkward, not less- perhaps because Sandi is just so drat sick of doing this. But usually they try to fake some frivolity in the last seconds.

This time, not so...

They could not give less of a poo poo, holy gently caress.

Also, Sandi is literally reading "THANK YOU TO OUR SUBSCRIBERS" on her notepad teleprompter.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Amarcarts posted:

Apology accepted, Captain Needa

Piett did nothing wrong!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

D_Smart posted:

Once again, you impress.

Hey, do me a favor next time you're feeling suicidal (or masochistic, I dunno which anymore), try this: QD to array 126 fly back to where you started and tell me the following:

1) did you make it?

2) did you get "gridref error"?

3) did the range change before and after you got to the array?

By fly do you mean like, at cruise speed? I don't mind QT'ing around but that's like a 19 hour trip without warp, there's no way things will hold up for that long.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

That's as real as his ship will ever get.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

By fly do you mean like, at cruise speed? I don't mind QT'ing around but that's like a 19 hour trip without warp, there's no way things will hold up for that long.

Dont worry, D_Smart is the harbinger of death. He will lead to your end.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

How are the facial animations in witcher 3 more realistic, when that's not in-game footage.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I have seen 2nd graders read "Mary had a little lamb" with more enthusiasm and gumption than Sandi does with a bullshit show made specifically to talk about dumb bullshit for closeted nerds who spend more on a video game that hasn't released than normal people do for their monthly rent.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

D_Smart posted:

Don't be an idiot. Asking if Derek Smart or The Escapist is the reason for a refund is legally actionable how?

I can't tell that

a) you have no idea how any of this works

b) you have no idea about how legal action works

Then again, if Ortwin asked them to ask those questions, it all makes perfect sense since he's a buffoon.

Let me help you:

In order for them to have a claim, they have to prove damages

In order for them to prove damages, they have to show financials

In order to prove damages, you don't pick a number out of a hat. ergo if 10 people say yeah, it was The Escapist, your "damages" is restricted to the total amount of the refund for those 10

Then you have the unenviable task of proving that how The Escapist or Derek Smart somehow influenced the thinking of an individual who, after exercising free will, asked for his money back

Bonus Tip: The courts are littered with case law throwing out poo poo like the above and it's specifically the sort of crap that anti-SLAAP laws were made for

By your asinine reasoning, every restaurant on Yelp would be suing people posting bad reviews which cause other people to not visit. Oh wait! That's right, some have actually tried that. Cases tossed. Damages awarded.

In short, it all boils down to this: A magazine wrote something. It made some people who gave us money for a game we haven't delivered, ask for refunds. So we refunded and lost money. It's the magazine (or Derek Smart) fault.

The judge would have a field day. As would the press.

ps: considering how much money they have made between July to Nov, it would be amazing to read how their "ability to operate" has been damaged

pps: take this poo poo to Reddit. No clowns here

Thanks for clearing that up Derek. I knew nothing sinister was going on. They are clearly just asking those questions as a mixture of courtesy and market research so they can make their end users experience even more fun in future.
The fact they have asked everyone these specific questions made it appear that there could be something else afoot but now you have posted your expert appraisal of the situation I feel a right fool ! egg on face

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Barnsy posted:

How are the facial animations in witcher 3 more realistic, when that's not in-game footage.

Because CD Projekt Red is a competent, well-directed studio with clear production goals and a design document.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I wish Judge Judy was the trial judge for SC court if it ever happened.

"mumble mumble dreams mumble" - Chris Roberts

"*mimics mumbling, rolls eyes* Judgement in favor or Derek Smart et al" pounds hammer.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/302888

Disco Lando posted:

"It's time to raise the level of discourse on spaceships in these forums."

It's time for some dedicated sub-forums.

With the recent changes to our ship pipeline, we've begun to assign individual manufacturers to specific teams across the world. In an effort to make finding your feedback as easy as possible when development cycles back around to your ship, and replying in kind when info is ready to be shared, we are making this fundamental change to the way we collect your discussions.

In addition to all the regular forum rules that apply, in THE SHIPYARD we're going to encourage and moderate threads designed towards concise topics. Individual threads about maneuvering, weapons loadouts, paint schemes, cargo capabilities, etc. Whatever you want to discuss, keeping it focused will ultimately benefit your chances at being hears. You want your feedback to be both easy to find and easy to route to the appropriate team members. Giant megathread conversations that exhaust their usefulness and ultimately begin to feed upon their participants will be closed.

These forums will come online in the next few minutes. You can see them once their available at https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/ under THE SHIPYARD.

Also: we need to name these things. To that end, we'd like to see your suggestions on clever, in-fiction names for each dedicated subforum. After a few weeks, we'll poll the choices we like the most and rename the relevant subforums. We might even do a vote before we decide. We'll see when the time comes. If we see some we really like we may just go with em!

Looks like spaceship complaints will be getting the [Concern] forum trashbin.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Disco Lando posted:

DO: Welcome new ship owners with discussions like, "What made you purchase a Reclaimer?"

DON'T: Create a thread designed to become an area solely to complain. Negative feedback is both encouraged and often necessary to game development, but it needs to be constructively presented, and not as a thread who's only affect is to incite others.

Well that just about loving sums it up.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Finally, my chance at being hears.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Why are they all so obsessed with how long other games took to develop? That's not the point. The point is that this game is Overdue. It was supposed to be released 2014, and is still a barely functioning demo.

If all large games take 5+ years, why are they letting Christ of the hook for promising to deliver in 2? Doesn't that just make him look WORSE because he was completely incapable of coming up with a reasonable and realistic time frame?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I think, but I'm no expert, but the whales justify those quotes being about VISION 1.0

Why they don't question his changing visions is beyond me.

Maybe its because they are a cult who knows!

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The discussion about space physics on their forums makes me unreasonably mad.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fatkraken posted:

Why are they all so obsessed with how long other games took to develop? That's not the point. The point is that this game is Overdue. It was supposed to be released 2014, and is still a barely functioning demo.

If all large games take 5+ years, why are they letting Christ of the hook for promising to deliver in 2? Doesn't that just make him look WORSE because he was completely incapable of coming up with a reasonable and realistic time frame?

Because Star Citizens have to melt their two best ships: Common Sense and Critical Thought in order to buy the limited edition "Wishful Thinking"

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 11, 2015

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Michaellaneous posted:

The discussion about space physics on their forums makes me unreasonably mad.

If your ship is rotating out of control you can have your player rotate in the opposite direction and then, half a second later someone will post a xkcd comic

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Fatkraken posted:

Another part of the problem is that what they've released doesn't compare to other games that are going along at the same level. There's still no indication of major game systems, any real evidence of the single player campaign, mostly busted animations, a tech demo that is basically make your own fun ala Elite Dangerous with much, much less content and many more bugs, exceedingly bad motion capture despite having spent a huge amount of money on it and generally poor management with every milestone missed. There are a lot of warning signs, and games that have followed this pattern generally do not turn out well.

Its the self-indulgence of Ion Storm, the continual re-doing of tech of DNF, the mismanagement of Kurt Shilling combined with the ego of Dennis Dyack with no accountability at all. The whole thing is a perfect storm of gently caress. If this thing ever turns into something decent, it will be in spite of these things.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 11, 2015

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Sarsapariller posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/302888

Looks like spaceship complaints will be getting the [Concern] forum trashbin.

Another forum that you need to be logged in to read as well. Honestly I'm surprised it took this long.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

I can't loving tell who's trolling and who's serious in that thread :psyduck:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

natetimm posted:

Finally, my chance at being hearse.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Because Star Citizens have to melt their two best ships: Common Sense and Critical Thought in order to buy the limited edition "Wishful Thinking"

All those have set sailed and are already gone. Only one left appears to be named "Empty" with LTI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Rudager posted:

I can't loving tell who's trolling and who's serious in that thread :psyduck:

It's me.
I am the one getting trolled because I get mad at their ideas of physics.

• Locked thread