Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

MadWOPR posted:

If everyone who didn't like the game followed this logic, the steam reviews would be a++

So? The meta is actually in a pretty good place right now. My biggest gripe about the game as it stands at the moment is the absurd monetization scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I really want that pre order bonus jenner iic. What gives PGI?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

What happened to the stream? Things not go as planned?

If its supposed to be today, I'd imagine its not started because its currently 6 AM in PGIs timezone.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

KyloWinter posted:

they're dumb

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Finster Dexter posted:

What happened to the stream? Things not go as planned?

The party is tonight

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Rhymenoserous posted:

So? The meta is actually in a pretty good place right now. My biggest gripe about the game as it stands at the moment is the absurd monetization scheme.

Maybe, but in pug games, the retards still spread out and wander in 1 by 1. God I hate people that can't understand the concept of stay together and focus fire.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Number19 posted:

The party is tonight

Oh, I thought it was last night because I thought it was a launch party.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Rhymenoserous posted:

The meta is actually in a pretty good place right now.

Hahahahahaha NOPE

Bringing back brawling (and only one aspect of brawling, i.e. SRMs) is a LONG way from "a pretty good place".

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

Hahahahahaha NOPE

Bringing back brawling (and only one aspect of brawling, i.e. SRMs) is a LONG way from "a pretty good place".

Yeah, the brawling is the real meat of the game, it's just so satisfying to smash the poo poo out of people with your giant walking brick on legs!

Too bad they didn't apparently think that way or we wouldn't had all the dumb poo poo that made me quit playing in the first place. :v:

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Finster Dexter posted:

Hahahahahaha NOPE

naw, game is in a great place

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

That Italian Guy posted:

EDIT: also, i see the Centurion is gone from the "good Mechs list" in the OP...what happened? New IS Mechs that overshadow it?

Nope, Centurions are really good now. I bought a Cent AL and my first match with it ended up with 999 damage (there seem to be a lot of clueless players now that it's on Steam).

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

Hahahahahaha NOPE

What would you consider needed then?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

veedubfreak posted:

Maybe, but in pug games, the retards still spread out and wander in 1 by 1. God I hate people that can't understand the concept of stay together and focus fire.

I understand the concept that blobs of mechs that focus fire the enemy that poses the highest threat in the enemy mech blob is the best way to go, but I play stompy bots to have fun and not to grind my winrate up. Going solo can be extremly fun sometimes, so I'll do that if I want to.

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014
Saying the game is in a great place is easy if you ignore that CW is as useless as its implementation stupid

Also ghost heat still exists

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

MadWOPR posted:

Also ghost heat still exists

I had just assumed it was gone at this point because I mean come on it has to be. My face when this thread told me it was still real: :eyepop:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

That Italian Guy posted:

EDIT: also, i see the Centurion is gone from the "good Mechs list" in the OP...what happened? New IS Mechs that overshadow it?

I mostly didn't put it in there because those builds are mostly meant for new players, and I wasn't completely sure if a Cent would be newbie-friendly. Also the only Cent I run is three machine guns and SRMs so if someone thinks new players would wreck poo poo in a Cent and have non-comedy builds speak up.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
For Huginn and Jenner-D pilots, the brawling never stopped.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Brawling is my favourite way to play robots

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Paramemetic posted:

For Huginn and Jenner-D pilots, the brawling never stopped.

In my time playing this game I think 90% of the fun I had was zipping around in light mechs laying into people with SRMs and machine guns.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Are machine guns useable or are they just wastes of space now? I know they were in balance flux for a long time.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I like running around and punching other robots in the dick with missiles until they fall over

If they're LRM boat assaults then I like it even more

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Chomp8645 posted:

Are machine guns useable or are they just wastes of space now? I know they were in balance flux for a long time.

Machineguns do massive amount of damage against unarmored parts of a mech. They also look cool. Not useful on every mech, but if you got a few tons left over and a few unused ballistic slots it can be really effective for finishing a damaged robbit.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Feindfeuer posted:

Machineguns do massive amount of damage against unarmored parts of a mech. They also look cool. Not useful on every mech, but if you got a few tons left over and a few unused ballistic slots it can be really effective for finishing a damaged robbit.

They also recently got a stealth buff, in that most of the +armor quirks were changed to +structure. This gives them more opportunities to crit structure and generally destroy parts.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I remember one time seeing a guy in a uh... hunckback??? or some german sounding mech just loaded out with 8 machine guns and nothing else. He would wait for lights to attack him and when they did just unload at them and it was just some blinding fury of a million bullets and half the time they would just turn around and run away from it.

Was p funny.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Chomp8645 posted:

I remember one time seeing a guy in a uh... hunckback??? or some german sounding mech just loaded out with 8 machine guns and nothing else. He would wait for lights to attack him and when they did just unload at them and it was just some blinding fury of a million bullets and half the time they would just turn around and run away from it.

Was p funny.

That would have been a Jagermech and it wouldn't have been very good but it sure would be annoying

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

Was p funny.

Wasnt that Tank Boy Ken? He had some build that was 6 MGs, 2 LPL and would eat people with it.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

For returning players, there are more weapons that have multipliers on their chance to crit internals than before. Here's the list:

Machine guns: shred internals, low damage, minimal use on armoured components
Flamers: lol, don't use these except to mount in a head energy slot and bind that weapon group to your push to talk button
LB-X autocannons: not great due to the damage spread but can be incredibly effective on some brawler builds. Some mechs have quirks that make this have an incredibly short recycle and it is very effective. These will shred internals on an exposed component.
AC2: newly added this patch, cries at about the same rate as the machine gun. Still an iffy weapon but if boated and played right can be hilariously effective at wrecking assaults in a brawl from a distance

E: clarified the crit multiplier bit

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Number19 posted:

That would have been a Jagermech and it wouldn't have been very good but it sure would be annoying

I don't know it seemed effective as an anti-light platform. As soon as the armor broke they just disintegrated and lights don't have much armor! Also I think this was back when the hit boxes for light mechs were all kinds of hosed up so quantity over quality was a good shooting strategy.

Great Beer posted:

Wasnt that Tank Boy Ken? He had some build that was 6 MGs, 2 LPL and would eat people with it.

No this wasn't with goons it was just pub match. Long time ago.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

KyloWinter posted:

I played around with it and I don't think it will be as good as people think. It's really about the same as its IS equivalent. It does more damage but runs way hotter.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Here's the meta: If you can boat srms, your mech is a good mech. Hotboxes, hardpoint locations, and quirks are ancillary, but the presence of srms in large quantities now determine if your robutt is good. Bigger = more gooder. More = more gooder. Artemis = more gooder.

So your Cent is good. Your catapult is good. The Stormcrow is still on top of the medium heap, and the Twolf D just became the best chassis for twolves.

The mad dog is still a heaping piece of poo poo, though. Go figure. I'm guessing that it just can't be saved if even the SRMsturm doesn't elevate it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Anita Dickinme posted:

I mostly didn't put it in there because those builds are mostly meant for new players, and I wasn't completely sure if a Cent would be newbie-friendly. Also the only Cent I run is three machine guns and SRMs so if someone thinks new players would wreck poo poo in a Cent and have non-comedy builds speak up.

Haven't played in a bit, but the Centurion with 2MLs and 3(?)SRM6 (all in the chest) was the go-to Medium mech during beta, cause it was incredibly effective for its tonnage - it could skirmish almost as good as a light mech, while packing a nice punch and being excellent at staying alive with its giant arm-shields and shoulderpads.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Great Beer posted:

What would you consider needed then?

More fleshed-out CW, map/game design that doesn't force deathballing as the only viable strategy in most matches.

To be fair, they do seem to be improving and the disappearance of poptarting (mostly) is a step beyond anything MW4 ever achieved.

I think the most fair and accurate way to summarize the current state of MWO is that it's a few good steps on the right (and long) road.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Chomp8645 posted:

never take machine guns unless you can pack at least four. two machine guns does next to absolutely nothing to open components, four does decent damage and six shreds.

i had tested this extensively in the training grounds to figure exactly how much of a waste of space the two mgs on the pirate bane were

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

teepo posted:

never take machine guns unless you can pack at least four. two machine guns does next to absolutely nothing to open components, four does decent damage and six shreds.

i had tested this extensively in the training grounds to figure exactly how much of a waste of space the two mgs on the pirate bane were

In a pinch, throwing 3 on the Cent-AH's right arm will lead to MG kills.

It's my new favorite robot.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

That Italian Guy posted:

Haven't played in a bit, but the Centurion with 2MLs and 3(?)SRM6 (all in the chest) was the go-to Medium mech during beta, cause it was incredibly effective for its tonnage - it could skirmish almost as good as a light mech, while packing a nice punch and being excellent at staying alive with its giant arm-shields and shoulderpads.

eh it is ok maybe, have to see the quirks. for srm medium brawling i would go with a stormcrow for clan or griffins for IS.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Willfrey posted:

eh it is ok maybe, have to see the quirks. for srm medium brawling i would go with a stormcrow for clan or griffins for IS.

Eh, yeah I guess it has probably been surpassed by other chassis by now. To be clear, though, the Cent was awesome mostly because of its physical qualities (IE: super tiny torso, giant useless arms, "pauldrons" that protect the head from the side); some people were suggesting there was something wrong with the hit detection as well. Maybe this has been patched out now :ohdear:

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

That Italian Guy posted:

Eh, yeah I guess it has probably been surpassed by other chassis by now. To be clear, though, the Cent was awesome mostly because of its physical qualities (IE: super tiny torso, giant useless arms, "pauldrons" that protect the head from the side); some people were suggesting there was something wrong with the hit detection as well. Maybe this has been patched out now :ohdear:
The arms used to reduce the damage to the side torso even when destroyed, and then shooting up that side torso once it was gone reduced the damage again. Killing a Cent from the side took about twice as much damage as from the front.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I started playing about the same time everyone else started quitting and just managed to get out of the trial period. Would I be better off just re-starting and using the 25 match starting boost to buy something useful (I have a cataphract) or does it not really matter? Also, would someone please PM me the WOL mumble info? (I have applied but no one has pushed button yet) Edit: Got the info, thanks.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 11, 2015

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

That Italian Guy posted:

There is a video somewhere demonstrating the issues, but the cent had an invisible, indestructible 'hitbox' floating in front of its head that prevented it from taking cockpit damage from the front. The hitboxes for the arms also did not detach when the arm was destroyed, so even after the arm model detached, damage was still cut in half if it 'passed through' where the arm would have been.

Both of these issues have been fixed. The Cent is still very durable, thanks to its slim profile, but its not the damage soaking monster it often was in the past.

EoRaptor fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KodiakRS posted:

I started playing about the same time everyone else started quitting and just managed to get out of the trial period. Would I be better off just re-starting and using the 25 match starting boost to buy something useful (I have a cataphract) or does it not really matter? Also, would someone please PM me the WOL mumble info? (I have applied but no one has pushed button yet)

They buffed the cadet bonus and they also added the tutorial which gives you 6? mil. Starting over might be the better idea. Also, you start tier5 now instead of tier 4 as a new player.

• Locked thread