Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Moltrey posted:

April 2016 is the only date we got.

In hindsight, this is fitting, doesn't Part 4 open on Josuke's first day or week of high school? Which would be sometime in April/May?

gently caress

Guess I'll read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I believe the first chapter of part four takes place in March, a month that brings really exciting and worrying days.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I made it through most of Part 4

its amazing how there can be crazier Stands in it than Stardust Crusaders ever thought about having

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Why do JoJo and DIO have such similar stands?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it kinda makes sense tho, because Dio is using Jonathan's body so Jotaro & Dio are vaguely related in that sense

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ZenVulgarity posted:

Why do JoJo and DIO have such similar stands?

Jotaro and DIO are pretty similar characters if you look past their alignment.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Because it's dramatically compelling for the hero and the villain to be alike in some fashion.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I didn't really notice it until someone pointed out to me that I wasn't seeing the Jotaro/DIO rivalry properly, but they have a lot of similar characteristics. These might not be the strongest examples since I haven't spent enough time thinking about this to write up a character essay or something, but it's just a few things I've noticed in hindsight.

I'll put some of this in spoiler tags to avoid spoiling the people who are still watching SC.

* Both start out as delinquents, to a degree. Jotaro gets into fights, skips out on bills, etc. Dio kicks dogs, uses ungentlemanly conduct during boxing, forces kisses onto Jonathan's girlfriend, etc.

* Both suffer from incredibly violent tempers that they often need to suppress in order to prevent their keen minds from being inhibited.

* Both of them start their journeys due to their what happens to their mothers. Dio kills his father and expresses disgust at him for working his mother to death, while Jotaro goes to fight Dio after seeing his mother affected by her Stand.

* Both also start becoming who they are due to Jonathan. DIO is obvious, but Araki mentions that Jotaro feels a lot of respect for Jonathan and is proud to take on his legacy, which is likely why he has all those lines towards him in Eyes of Heaven.

* Both of them are very merciless to their enemies, only rarely showing mercy to those whom they respect. Jotaro expresses sympathy for and buries N'doul, while DIO revives Vanilla Ice after seeing the depths of his devotion.

* Women are very attracted to the both of them due to charisma. Neither of them really seem to care too much about the opposite sex, though, even despite them both having children as major protagonists later down the line. We never see much of either of their wives.

* Both are very prone to deep introspection, particularly Jotaro. You can see during a number of encounters like Enya that he spends a lot of time really observing whom they meet, which is why he's the only one to spot her mistake. DIO, meanwhile, spends a lot of Stardust Crusaders talking about the nature of fear and transcending it.

* Both of them get their powers after seeing someone else use them and begin building on them with surprising instinct. Jotaro sees Magician's Red before beginning to use Star Platinum with a lot more effectiveness, and DIO turns a guy into a vampire and witnesses his strength before developing his own unique abilities like Dehydrating Freezing.

Of course there are differences between them, which, assuming Stand stats are directly related to personality, accounts for why Star Platinum and The World aren't exact mirrors of each other.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 11, 2015

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I didn't really notice it until someone pointed out to me that I wasn't seeing the Jotaro/DIO rivalry properly, but they have a lot of similar characteristics. These might not be the strongest examples since I haven't spent enough time thinking about this to write up a character essay or something, but it's just a few things I've noticed in hindsight.

I'll put some of this in spoiler tags to avoid spoiling the people who are still watching SC.

* Both start out as delinquents, to a degree. Jotaro gets into fights, skips out on bills, etc. Dio kicks dogs, uses ungentlemanly conduct during boxing, forces kisses onto Jonathan's girlfriend, etc.

* Both suffer from incredibly violent tempers that they often need to suppress in order to prevent their keen minds from being inhibited.

* Both of them start their journeys due to their what happens to their mothers. Dio kills his father and expresses disgust at him for working his mother to death, while Jotaro goes to fight Dio after seeing his mother affected by her Stand.

* Both also start becoming who they are due to Jonathan. DIO is obvious, but Araki mentions that Jotaro feels a lot of respect for Jonathan and is proud to take on his legacy, which is likely why he has all those lines towards him in Eyes of Heaven.

* Both of them are very merciless to their enemies, only rarely showing mercy to those whom they respect. Jotaro expresses sympathy for and buries N'doul, while DIO revives Vanilla Ice after seeing the depths of his devotion.

* Women are very attracted to the both of them due to charisma. Neither of them really seem to care too much about the opposite sex, though, even despite them both having children as major protagonists later down the line. We never see much of either of their wives.

* Both are very prone to deep introspection, particularly Jotaro. You can see during a number of encounters like Enya that he spends a lot of time really observing whom they meet, which is why he's the only one to spot her mistake. DIO, meanwhile, spends a lot of Stardust Crusaders talking about the nature of fear and transcending it.

* Both of them get their powers after seeing someone else use them and begin building on them with surprising instinct. Jotaro sees Magician's Red before beginning to use Star Platinum with a lot more effectiveness, and DIO turns a guy into a vampire and witnesses his strength before developing his own unique abilities like Dehydrating Freezing.

Of course there are differences between them, which, assuming Stand stats are directly related to personality, accounts for why Star Platinum and The World aren't exact mirrors of each other.

This is a cool post thanks

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

there was a post way earlier in either this or there other thread that talked about Jotaro and DIO's relationship after someone complained about how seemingly little they had

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, that was me doing the complaining.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I remember it being a pretty ballin post, someone with chutzpah oughta find it and link it

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Man, Scooby-Doo Wrestlemania Mystery sure was great. I guess that's all the lovely-dog television I have to watch tonight...

waaaait a minute, what's that I hear on the horizon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anySXzKS6LE

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
bird: 'are you ready to loving go'

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
pet shop: 'what the gently caress is this idiot doing'

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
wtf why does dio get such a cool pet

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Answered your own question there.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
:siren: IMMINENT RETURN OF KAKYOIN :siren:

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
I hope u are enjoying dogdog's bizzare adventure starring dogseph dogstar. Iggy is so good!!!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
heeeeeeeeeeeeere's PET SHOP

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
iggy: "i found a way out!"

pet shop: "actually you found ME LOL"

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Okay, I'll be honest; for a moment there I thought they actually were gonna kill off Iggy

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
RETURN OF THE KAK

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
castlevania as gently caress

i guess we already fought death a while back though

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Actually, I'm thinking on it now and the Castlevania Dracula that Dio is actually most like is Soma. They're both extremely pretty. That said, Dawn of Sorrow only had three playable characters and we've got a party of six heading in to raid Castle Dracula.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Actually, wait, now I'm thinking about this. We've had a floating sword, a fire demon, a boss that remotely controlled bugs, a boss that can mimic others, a Puppet Master, death, a guy who lived in mirrors, an evil fish, a bird, a disembodied mass made of a bunch of tiny, ordinarily-chumpy things... we just need an evil dinosaur, Balore, and Zephyr before we've got the whole set of Dawn of Sorrow bosses, and given their status as early-game losers with big muscles I'm inclined to liken Wu-Tang Forever to Balore.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Oh, wait, Iggy just lost his front leg, clearly he's Gergoth.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
If anyone shouts TOKI WO TOMARE before the end of this show we've got the full set.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
see because zephyr is a boss whose gimmick is that he can stop time and create elaborate knife arrangements to attack soma and every time he does that he shouts TOKI WO TOMARE! he kicked my rear end a lot so i remember that voice clip well

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
:allears:

Seeing people discover Jojo is always great.

Also, does literally all Japanese media have references to JJBA?

e X fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Dec 12, 2015

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Oh, wait, I guess we technically don't have Menace... eh, this is Julius Mode anyway

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

e X posted:

Also, does literally all Japanese media have references to JJBA?

You can get quite a few Stands in the Sorrow games, actually. I feel like there's even one that's specifically a Star Platinum reference.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
And... wait, poo poo, I've totally picked up the Stone Mask in these games before!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
and wait holy poo poo there was this dude in Order of Ecclesia who I am just realizing was basically a Stardust Crusader's fan character, he was this dude who had a giant pig monster that was his shadow and you could only hit it on the wall and it was really cool and his name was BLACKMORE like RITCHIE BLACKMORE

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

alcharagia posted:

And... wait, poo poo, I've totally picked up the Stone Mask in these games before!

AND IT WAS IN A LIBRARY

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70utG1L5bfU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i'm not sure whether it's more baffling that i got to this point in the show before connecting these dots, or that i've been a castlevania fan since i was a kid and never knew about any of this

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

alcharagia posted:

and wait holy poo poo there was this dude in Order of Ecclesia who I am just realizing was basically a Stardust Crusader's fan character, he was this dude who had a giant pig monster that was his shadow and you could only hit it on the wall and it was really cool and his name was BLACKMORE like RITCHIE BLACKMORE

Blackmore is not until Part 7.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Blackmore is not until Part 7.

:geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012