Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Just got me a Vanishing Point :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

grack posted:

Just got me a Vanishing Point :woop:

good choice! Refill cartridges since flow out of the con-50 is pretty crap, besides you will hold more.

You get a stub nib?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My girlfriend is a huge writer (she never made the transition to putting poetry and stuff on her computer, so she has a bunch of journals and notebooks and disposable pens everywhere) and I confirmed that she knows how to use and fill a fountain pen. So one of her Christmas presents is going to be a brand new Pilot Metro Animal in black with crocodile accent and a bottle of Pilot standard black ink.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

GoldenNugget posted:

good choice! Refill cartridges since flow out of the con-50 is pretty crap, besides you will hold more.

You get a stub nib?

Broad, I wanna use the VP exclusively for iron-gall inks. I have (and actually like) a Con-20 already so I may use that but we'll see.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Doesn't matter eventually because both 20 and 50 are being phased out next year in favour of a new converter (40)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
is that a piston or squeeze or con50 style converter?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Edit: Ignore me, I didn't think that one through

grack fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 10, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
http://kobe-nagasawa.co.jp/blog-umedachayamachi/summit-7/
There's a picture of it, looks like a piston? Also that it holds less than the con-50?

edit: looks like refilling cartridges is still the way to go but I hate squeeze converters so this doesn't seem too awful other than the capacity being even less.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 10, 2015

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Looks like Picasso is jumping on the "Safari copy" bandwagon as well: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Picasso-450-...mYAAOSwA4dWK4gr

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
Any recommendations on a pen for gifting to the person who got me my first pens? She has a handful of Lamy Safaris at the moment, I'd like to get her something nice for Christmas.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Premature ejacula- posted:

Any recommendations on a pen for gifting to the person who got me my first pens? She has a handful of Lamy Safaris at the moment, I'd like to get her something nice for Christmas.

What kind of budget are you looking at? If you're looking for something inexpensive, I just bought a handful of these to hand out as christmas gifts to my department at work. Rather nice little pocket pen for the price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rook-Fountain-Pen-Black-Green/dp/B004OYV27S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1449788689&sr=8-3&keywords=ohto+rook

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
Probably looking for something under $80 US, accounting for the markup we have here.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

I'm having problems with my pilot metropolitan. I'm using the squeeze-type converter that it came with. I've noticed the bladder getting more and more out of shape and now it's become totally useless. It won't fill all the way, it's not "round" anymore, and it doesn't even fit inside the metal squeezy part. it folds up a little bit on itself if I push it in. is it coming loose or something...?

i googled it and it looks like i have what people call the "cleaning converter" ? am I not supposed to use this to actually hold ink?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

shallowj posted:

I'm having problems with my pilot metropolitan. I'm using the squeeze-type converter that it came with. I've noticed the bladder getting more and more out of shape and now it's become totally useless. It won't fill all the way, it's not "round" anymore, and it doesn't even fit inside the metal squeezy part. it folds up a little bit on itself if I push it in. is it coming loose or something...?

i googled it and it looks like i have what people call the "cleaning converter" ? am I not supposed to use this to actually hold ink?

Yea it's for flushing not ink. Use a cartridge and syringe, that's my preference at least.

Tulip fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 11, 2015

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Tulip posted:

Yea it's for flushing not ink. Use a cartridge and syringe, that's my preference at least.

wait whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. I've been using it as a converter this entire time!

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

I bought one of these. It's coppery and beautiful. Thanks thread!

Now I just need fancy ink. And then I can stop. Right?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

clarion ravenwood posted:

I bought one of these. It's coppery and beautiful. Thanks thread!

Now I just need fancy ink. And then I can stop. Right?

Check out Noodlers Apache Sunset!

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Thirst Mutilator posted:

wait whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. I've been using it as a converter this entire time!

That's OK because it is, in fact, a converter -- the CON-20.

If the sac has given up in your CON-20, a replacement is only $3.30 at JetPens, or upgrade to a piston converter (CON-50) for $5.75. I don't mind the squeezies, but I use the CON-50s in the pens that came with them, and it's pretty nice.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

it's not a CON-20, it's the one shown in the 2nd photo here http://blog.gouletpens.com/2013/08/pilot-converter-ink-capacities.html.

Guess I'll just go ahead and buy a CON-50. It's 7.50 on Amazon and free shipping with Prime. Is that going to be the best deal? Or should I maybe just buy a whole new pen altogether? What's the next step after a Metropolitan?

The Wolfen
Apr 12, 2007
Wanted Ghost Coon. Cannot be treed or trapped. Reward Ghost Coon Skin Cap!
Fun Shoe
A few months into my newfound fountain pen addiction I've managed to accumulate two Pilot Metros (M and F nibbed) and a TWSBI Eco with a 1.1mm stub. I love the massive ink well of the Eco and have thought about replacing my daily driver Metro's with a larger capacity pen like the TWSBI Vac 580, but know that many in this thread have had issue with quality control on them in the past. Is the 580AL any different in regards to overall quality? The replacement of some of the plastic parts with machined aluminum seems like it'd help somewhat, and the cost increase is fairly minimal. Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with the newer model or if y'all have a different recommendation for a large capacity pen.

Also I never should have bought a shimmer ink. With the right paper and that stub nib it's like everything I write is the most beautiful and important thing I've ever seen.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
gently caress it i'm buying a vanishing point

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
gently caress it, I'm getting a vanishing point for christmas.

Sucks I have to wait two drat weeks for it.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
sucks to be you, with your friend/family/significant other who's willing to buy you expensive presents

I'll spare you a thought on monday as I sit alone in my cold bedroom cradling my shiny new pen and rocking slowly back and forth with satisfaction :smug:

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

shallowj posted:

Guess I'll just go ahead and buy a CON-50. It's 7.50 on Amazon and free shipping with Prime. Is that going to be the best deal? Or should I maybe just buy a whole new pen altogether? What's the next step after a Metropolitan?

Well my next steps were a Vac-700 (nice, but not sure I'm using it enough to justify what I spent on it) and then a Monteverde Invincia Stealth which I looooove

Lamy Safari is also a solid choice.

Of course, one next step after a Metro is... more Metros. That's not a bad idea either.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Premature ejacula- posted:

Probably looking for something under $80 US, accounting for the markup we have here.

If she likes Safaris, how about a Lamy Studio?

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Soricidus posted:

sucks to be you, with your friend/family/significant other who's willing to buy you expensive presents

I'll spare you a thought on monday as I sit alone in my cold bedroom cradling my shiny new pen and rocking slowly back and forth with satisfaction :smug:

My mom got it for me after I have been spending more than a year helping her to recover from 4+ surgeries on her hip. And I'll probably help her recover when she has to go under for knee replacement surgery.

Seriously, count your blessings with each stroke of that pen, man.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

grack posted:

Broad, I wanna use the VP exclusively for iron-gall inks. I have (and actually like) a Con-20 already so I may use that but we'll see.

Salix and Scabiosa are excellent inks that I use routinely and work well on crappy paper. I think there are other ones by other brands but they are either blue or black. There is one finnish ink group that makes a lot more colors but it's like a chemistry major student who does it on his free time or something.

I pretty much hate all the pilot small converters because they either are a pain to fill or you can't see how much you are putting in. And the new replacement converter will hold less. Besides refilling cartridges are portable and flow much much better.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I have both Salix and Scabiosa already, I like them both.

I've officially gotten to the point where I'm buying pens specifically for ink I own and not the other way around.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

shallowj posted:

it's not a CON-20, it's the one shown in the 2nd photo here http://blog.gouletpens.com/2013/08/pilot-converter-ink-capacities.html.

The easiest thing to do, in my opinion, is to just get a blunt syringe and refill the pilot ink cartridge the metro came with. Goulet sells syringe sets if you don't want to source them yourself.

The cartridges hold more ink than converters, it doesn't actually take much more effort than filling it with the sac, and the cartridges (in my year of use, anyway) don't wear out.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Obligatory Toast posted:

My mom got it for me after I have been spending more than a year helping her to recover from 4+ surgeries on her hip. And I'll probably help her recover when she has to go under for knee replacement surgery.

Seriously, count your blessings with each stroke of that pen, man.

you sound like a good person with a cool mom and I hope things go well

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

Swagger Dagger posted:

The cartridges hold more ink than converters, it doesn't actually take much more effort than filling it with the sac, and the cartridges (in my year of use, anyway) don't wear out.

I haven't had a pilot cartridge wear out yet, but refilled Lamy cartridges definitely do.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Pilot or Platinum cartridges are nice and sturdy with thick walls even at the mouth piece while most others have a very thin plastic ring (probably as a seal that gets stretched by the pen's feed) that wears out.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Soricidus posted:

you sound like a good person with a cool mom and I hope things go well

Thanks man. I'm looking forward to 2016. :unsmith:

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Speaking of refilling stuff, anyone refill varsities? I did yesterday, but it sorta dries up after a couple of pages (although writing with the opposite side of the nib seems to magically fix it). So I'm wondering if it's just a thing that happens when you refill a varsity with regular fountain ink, or if it's maybe an issue with the ink in particular I used (a mix of Noodler's Red-Black and Dostoevski).

As an aside, that was absurdly easy to refill, aside from how much of a pain it was to get the remaining ink out of that funky wick-feed the Varsities have. Glad I found an empty one on my desk, I guess.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The seller I bought my VP from cancelled the order because the last one he had in stock was faulty :negative:

I got a Sailor 1911 Large instead. Some day, Veep. Some day.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Zenostein posted:

Speaking of refilling stuff, anyone refill varsities? I did yesterday, but it sorta dries up after a couple of pages (although writing with the opposite side of the nib seems to magically fix it). So I'm wondering if it's just a thing that happens when you refill a varsity with regular fountain ink, or if it's maybe an issue with the ink in particular I used (a mix of Noodler's Red-Black and Dostoevski).

As an aside, that was absurdly easy to refill, aside from how much of a pain it was to get the remaining ink out of that funky wick-feed the Varsities have. Glad I found an empty one on my desk, I guess.

I refilled mine with Noodlers black and had no issues, but I removed the end cap and drilled out the barrier in the body. I wonder if your nib is out of shape?

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Lost my Safari (God dammit) so I two-day shipped a black medium nib CP1 (yayyyyyyyyyyy). I think I will be happy, though I'm surprised to hear how thin they are. I use a pilot metro for general work stuff and will be happy to have a nicer personal carry, though I was extremely happy with the Safari. Something about a pen made out of Lego plastic made me happier than it should.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:ssh: ABS plastic is used in literally billions of products

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
Looking to buy my first new pen in a few years– have a Safari, Twsbi 540, Noodlers Ahab, and a Cross Affinity (received as a gift). Considering making my first jump to a higher price bracket (maybe 80-130$) and was considering the Lamy 2k because I thought it was considered a great staple of that price range, but see a few mixed reviews of it. Any recommendations for/against?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Um, so I mixed the dregs of 4 different red ink samples together and filled up my Konrad. I like it and it's behaving better than some of them did before.

I know mixing poo poo willy-nilly isn't a good idea but I've pretty considered this pen ruined after I filled it with Noodler's Empire Red and the little window got all discolored. I don't know if there's really anything I could do to it to make it absolutely unusable anyway.