Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Twerk from Home posted:

The new NUCs can sure play 4K, but can't output it over HDMI!

Well they can, just at 30Hz.

They will do 4k60Hz over DisplayPort but then you have to figure out how to get audio out.

Edit: Corrected error.

Krailor fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krailor posted:

They will do 4k60Hz over DisplayPort but then you have to figure out how to get audio out.

DisplayPort carries audio, no?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

sadus posted:

Not sure if its a new thing but the Skylake motherboards have a voltage offset setting now instead of just hard-coding the voltage, so you can just boost the voltage a bit but it will still drop way down when not in use. We hit 4.8ghz at 1.45v with a i5-6600k with a $30 Cryorig CPU cooler and two cheapo stock case fans but dropped it down to 4.6ghz at 1.4v to be stable with Prime95 v28.7 overnight.

The first i7's had offset voltage ability in the motherboard that properly support overclocking. Its IMO the prefered way to OC so you're not running 1.X volts through your CPU at all times for no reason. That's why I mentioned it earlier with the 2600K OC talk.

It does take some good finesse to get it dialed in as you are combating the native CPU's voltage stepping, the Motherboards Vdroop and Loadline calibration, and whatever other settings each board may have onboard, but once you get it dialed in, it's nice to have a chip that runs almost like factory only with a 1ghz bump.

Also 1.4V just seems extreme to me for any OC below 4.8Ghz. Hell my 3930K doesn't even use more than 1.384v at 4.6ghz and its a fatty. It needs 1.4+ for 4.8-4.9 Range, but the heat and the time it takes to adjust everything else to make it stable is just to much for what little gain I get at that point.

4.4Ghz was an easy sweet spot that is like 10C cooler than 4.6+ in the summer lol.

Subjunctive posted:

I though't it did too...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

Mine does.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Subjunctive posted:

Huh, so it does. My mistake.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Krailor posted:

Well they can, just at 30Hz.

Seems a better idea to just wait 1 generation more and get the whole shebang natively over HDMI then in regards to OPs question - I haven't looked closely but I'd be more than surprised to see any receiver having a DisplayPort connector. Probably ever. Even ignoring the fact that it apparently can transport audio.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

MiniDisplayPort to HDMI cables? Up to 15 feet

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender

Those won't do any good, then you're just back to the same 4k30 that HDMI natively supports. The only option you'd have for 4k60 would be an active DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 adapter and I don't know if those actually exist yet or not.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Thanks for pointing out the Alpha! This application won't be needed for a few months, so I'll stay tuned to see if it still stays on top w/r/t that idea.

The Alpha's also gone on sale for ~$359-399 at times for the i3 version. Check Techbargains periodically, they're usually pretty good with listing when it goes on sale.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Subjunctive posted:

displayport should carry audio

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 13, 2015

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Alpha's also gone on sale for ~$359-399 at times for the i3 version. Check Techbargains periodically, they're usually pretty good with listing when it goes on sale.

It's actually on sale right now for $305 after $45 rebate:
https://slickdeals.net/f/8359803-alienware-alpha-desktop-i3-4170t-geforce-gtx-4gb-ddr3-305-after-45-slickdeals-rebate-free-shipping?v=1

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

:vince:

E: I thought this was a great deal until I ordered it and then discovered that 3 weeks ago it was $190: https://slickdeals.net/f/8258965-alienware-alpha-desktop-console-190-free-shipping
E2: Adding nuance to the above--apparently stock was extremely limited and there were a lot of order cancellations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 11, 2015

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Hows the noise with NUCs nowadays? From the earlier posts I'm guessing quiet enough. Just asking cause I remember the early models could be annoying in that regard according to reviews.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

japtor posted:

Hows the noise with NUCs nowadays? From the earlier posts I'm guessing quiet enough. Just asking cause I remember the early models could be annoying in that regard according to reviews.

Just type the model number of the one you're interested into Youtube. People always want to show off poo poo, and you'll probably get a good impression of any noise it makes.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

japtor posted:

I have a Broadwell i3 and it is silent when idling, or at least inaudible over the HVAC in the server room on the next floor up. It's also silent with 4 threads of Prime95 going and hovers right under 70C. I don't know what it's like if you're taxing the CPU and GPU but I imagine it can't be that bad.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
So apparently basic overclocking via BCKL is coming soon to "locked" Skylake CPUs on a Z170 motherboard near you. While probably not enough to sate people trying to hit the top-end of things and contemplating 6600/6700's, it might make for a pretty compelling low- to mid-tier build, and gives a lot more people a reason to upgrade from older chipsets than what Skylake currently offers.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

japtor posted:

Mine (i5 version) is silent unless you're within a foot or less of it. Then you can hear air moving, but that's about it. Even loaded they're still pretty quiet overall.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
Note that even on the NUCs that are a bit loud, it's usually the default idle fan speed being too high that's the problem.. It was 20% on my 2820 NUC, which was noticeable as a HTPC, but it's silent at 10%. It actually runs totally fine with the fan set to 0%, but I couldn't find a way to turn off the fan speed warning that popped up at every boot. When it was at 0%, I don't think the fan ever kicked on, even when playing hours of high bitrate 1080p stuff.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

DrDork posted:

So apparently basic overclocking via BCKL is coming soon to "locked" Skylake CPUs on a Z170 motherboard near you. While probably not enough to sate people trying to hit the top-end of things and contemplating 6600/6700's, it might make for a pretty compelling low- to mid-tier build, and gives a lot more people a reason to upgrade from older chipsets than what Skylake currently offers.

I'm probably going to do a low- to mid-tier Skylake build sometime next year, but I'm pretty ignorant about this sort of thing, is this as exciting as it sounds?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

One thing to note that is that they didn't touch anything that used 3D graphics, so unless there was a huge change in how the bus is handled, the bus clock will also overclock the PCIe bus speed on non-LGA2011 boards, which is generally undesirable.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

HMS Boromir posted:

I'm probably going to do a low- to mid-tier Skylake build sometime next year, but I'm pretty ignorant about this sort of thing, is this as exciting as it sounds?
It's exciting for budget builds, because then you should be able to get a low- to mid-tier CPU for <$200 and crank it up ~25%. It's particularly interesting for the i3's, since before now there has been no overclocking option whatsoever (no K models) since Sandy Bridge. You do have to disable the iGPU, though, so for any sort of HTPC or budget gaming build you'd have to toss in a dGPU.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

One thing to note that is that they didn't touch anything that used 3D graphics, so unless there was a huge change in how the bus is handled, the bus clock will also overclock the PCIe bus speed on non-LGA2011 boards, which is generally undesirable.

BCLK is independent from PCIe clocks in Skylake. The only thing it affects are the CPU itself and the RAM (which generally can deal with a bit of overclocking anyhow), everything else is on independent clocks.
e; also, they did do some gaming benchmarks on it, though they paired it with a 960, so it showed basically no difference as even the stock i3 was well ahead of the 960, but it at least shows that it works.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 12, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

DrDork posted:

BCLK is independent from PCIe clocks in Skylake. The only thing it affects are the CPU itself and the RAM (which generally can deal with a bit of overclocking anyhow), everything else is on independent clocks.
That would be promising if they ever bring the feature to stuff cheaper than Z boards.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

That would be promising if they ever bring the feature to stuff cheaper than Z boards.
Everything down to the H110 boards supports BCLK overclocking (at least in theory) on K chips already, so it's very possible that we'll see it trickle down if it's as simple as a BIOS update. Even so, you can get Z170 boards for under $100, so while they're not the cheapest of the cheap, they're only about $30 off from the bottom of the Skylake barrel. Assuming a 25% overclock, that would still allow a $180 i5-6500 to punch at or above a stock $300 6700 in many tasks, which ain't bad.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

DrDork posted:

Everything down to the H110 boards supports BCLK overclocking (at least in theory) on K chips already, so it's very possible that we'll see it trickle down if it's as simple as a BIOS update. Even so, you can get Z170 boards for under $100, so while they're not the cheapest of the cheap, they're only about $30 off from the bottom of the Skylake barrel. Assuming a 25% overclock, that would still allow a $180 i5-6500 to punch at or above a stock $300 6700 in many tasks, which ain't bad.

Newegg has/had a z170 asrock for like $75 yesterday.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
ASRock have released BIOS updates for most (all?) of their Z-series motherboards allowing Skylake BCLK overclocking. Given the big "NON-Z" at the top I'm guessing budget mobos will be joining in on the fun soon. Personally, I'm looking at that 4.3GHz 6400 and salivating a little.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

You have to give ASRock credit for sure, they make some neat boards and support them pretty well when new stuff drops that opens up current chipset features. Their X79 boards were nuts except for how many only had 4 Ram slots instead of 8. :/

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

EdEddnEddy posted:

You have to give ASRock credit for sure, they make some neat boards and support them pretty well when new stuff drops that opens up current chipset features. Their X79 boards were nuts except for how many only had 4 Ram slots instead of 8. :/

Idk my x99 itx has a hosed up bios that only occasionally feels like reflecting my boot settings

UnforunTely it's the only itx x99 board :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Does Intel get pissed off with back door overclocking shenanigans like that or do you think they care? I could see them being pissed off since it would take away from some K processors, but they can't keep up with demand anyhow.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

slidebite posted:

Does Intel get pissed off with back door overclocking shenanigans like that or do you think they care? I could see them being pissed off since it would take away from some K processors, but they can't keep up with demand anyhow.
They did try to shut down K-series overclocking on non-Z boards during the pre-G3258 days with a microcode "update", but that didn't take and only made the manufacturers pretty flippant about it (I think the official Intel microcode on those boards wasn't updated until Haswell Refresh came out as a result of it...) and released a few really cheap B85/H87 overclockable boards.

They couldn't make a convincing argument to mandate locking the feature to only Z-boards after they released the G3258. I suspect something similar will happen with the CPU BCLK deal, since it's technically possible there's no real sense in trying to shut it down, especially with the incredibly poor yields on K processors for Skylake.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 16, 2015

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
Taco Defender
Long-term I'm sure Intel isn't thrilled with the idea of being able to overclock non-k chips but for the 1151 socket generation I think they've resigned themselves to the fact that it will happen.

Once Intel announced that the FIVR was being moved off-chip in Skylake most people were expecting BCLK overclocking to come back. The real test will be if Intel puts the FIVR back on-chip in the future.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

HMS Boromir posted:

ASRock have released BIOS updates for most (all?) of their Z-series motherboards allowing Skylake BCLK overclocking. Given the big "NON-Z" at the top I'm guessing budget mobos will be joining in on the fun soon. Personally, I'm looking at that 4.3GHz 6400 and salivating a little.
why did they take screenshots of cpu-z, save them as jpeg, and then upscale them

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Malloc Voidstar posted:

why did they take screenshots of cpu-z, save them as jpeg, and then upscale them

i don't know but i loving love it

also they removed the big NON-Z i mentioned from the graphic at the top lol

JockstrapManthrust
Apr 30, 2013

Krailor posted:

Those won't do any good, then you're just back to the same 4k30 that HDMI natively supports. The only option you'd have for 4k60 would be an active DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 adapter and I don't know if those actually exist yet or not.

http://club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/mini-displayport-12-to-hdmi-20-uhd-active-adapter.html would that scratch the itch?

Thread where they discuss its merits at http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2554074/displayport-hdmi.html

JockstrapManthrust fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 18, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Read the reviews.

JockstrapManthrust
Apr 30, 2013
I did, just updated my post as you posted :/

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Krailor posted:

Dumb question, perhaps because I don't keep up with where and when 4k is useful, but what content is in 4k60 today or in the near future? That just sounds like the height of decadence.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It's really nice to look at when working. Media consumption and games, eh it'll be a while before those are in play.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SpelledBackwards posted:

Dumb question, perhaps because I don't keep up with where and when 4k is useful, but what content is in 4k60 today or in the near future? That just sounds like the height of decadence.

You'd want 4k60 if you get a 4k monitor, just so that things won't look weird (since the typical LCD monitor these days refreshes at 60hz). I remember when cheap LCDs were first coming out and some could only handle 30hz updates and it was just really annoying to use a computer with them. To say nothing of the dodgy laptop screens where 100 milliseconds response time was considered good.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

4k60 with *sync would be good, since it's definitely possible to push modern content on decent settings above 30fps, even if holding a solid 60 is hard.

Problem is that people who would pay $stupid for 4k60 are now used to 96Hz+...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

fishmech posted:

You'd want 4k60 if you get a 4k monitor, just so that things won't look weird (since the typical LCD monitor these days refreshes at 60hz). I remember when cheap LCDs were first coming out and some could only handle 30hz updates and it was just really annoying to use a computer with them. To say nothing of the dodgy laptop screens where 100 milliseconds response time was considered good.

Lenovo is trying to sucker people into buying a 'gaming laptop' with a 4K touchscreen that has a 48Hz refresh rate that they pair with a 2GB 960M.