Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Alternatively, your species is recreated from a radio signal by hentai aliens who are pacifist and they send you back home at relativistic speeds on a giant space tree.

And that's just the start!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

ArchRanger posted:

Since it's come up recently and it's a Paradox-published series, could anyone share what the Grand Menace Black 21 is in Sword of the Stars 2? Been forever since I've played the first and the second game was crap enough that I never really got into it. Been catching up on the genuinely interesting lore of the games but the wiki is as frustratingly vague as the game was at times. This is what I'm pulling it from. http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/Black_List

From what I recall, it was another Suul'ka. There were 7 of them.

Alternatively, given the wiki's description is 'The Beginning of the End', to Kerberos it was probably the SOTS 2 launch executable.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
From today's World War Wednesday stream:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I want the mod that substitutes Hitler for the "Lil' Fuhrer" from acclaimed board game "Barbarossa"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A hard scify wouldn't have FTL, aliens, colonizing planets, and would just be about humans building huge space tubes and mining asteroids. The moment your setting is about spaceships flying off to other solar systems in less than a few years to then go jump down the gravity well of a planet you're into pure science fantasy territory and might as well have space dragons (200 gold or they'll plunder your system)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

GrossMurpel posted:

I thought hard sci-fi just meant you don't meet any aliens and instead philosophize about poo poo while waiting hundreds of years to get anywhere in space.

But the truly skilled writer will have the exposition character explain why that's actually a good thing.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Actually the best hard sci fi has people in normal sub-relativistic spaceships meeting up with crazy advanced alien artifacts / highly speculative physics things / novel forms of alien life and finding a way to cope with it somehow.

Bel Monte posted:

The problem with completely bizarre and out there aliens with little resemblance to something from Earth is...the MOO3 effect. Or "I don't know what the gently caress it is. Space Jellyfish. That's what I am. ...Wait, my race is good at ground combat? HOW? We live on gas giants!"

Slight exaggeration, but if it's just weird critters, people aren't gonna like it and force it into earthling molds. Also, things won't make sense sometimes for race traits. Why would floating gas bags be good at diplomacy? They're not even cute, they look like monsters. Nothing relatable or kawaii. Shameful!

Well I think it's kind of cute? :shobon:

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tScAyNaRdQ

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i hope stellaris takes a lot of inspiration on SOTS's artwork because it was really really good.

These are official promotional images.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Where's the huge deviant art watermark?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mans posted:

i hope stellaris takes a lot of inspiration on SOTS's artwork because it was really really good.

These are official promotional images.

Bonus trivia: Zuul babies are literally hostile little weasel-rats that eat anything and everything. As they grow the males attain sentience and rudimentary psychic powers while the females grow into lumbering brutes that are used solely for breeding and as shock troops because they actually aren't any more intelligent than canines. They are also born in gigantic litters and have a very high mortality rate (mostly due to violence) and adult males form what is best described as a master/apprentice relationship comparable to the Sith where the young apprentices will gladly eat their master at first opportunity and usurp his harems.

All Zuul technology has been "ripped" from the minds of their captives, even their social structure which is based off the Spanish Inquisition (no joke).

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
'Fantasy is the impossible made probable. Science Fiction is the improbable made possible.' - some dude, go google it or whatever

That always encapsulated the differences between the two nicely, though I realize of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter how wrong.

Have any of the Stellaris dev diaries gone into how worldgen makes alien species? Because my favourite in fiction has always been the "Bored creator" or Ancient humanoids. from Star Trek, where you have a bunch of roughly similar looking species, surrounded by more 'alien' ones because way, way back, someone found a boring, empty universe that has plausibly low amounts of intelligent life, which then decided to change that.

Or better yet, if the 'uplifting' stuff they mentioned could be done in secret, so we could be that 'bored creator'.

EDit: I ask because it would be hilarious if there was like, a line of planets, all of them habitable, throughout the galaxy. Same as with lazy creators that make terrible monsters or really sad, non-working species.

Like, the majority of the species out there would be roughly similar, except for a few that would be more exotic. And you could either be part of the similar ones or outside it, to greater or lesser degrees.(Or even be the creators, returned)

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 16, 2015

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Irresponsibly placing Monoliths on every planet that takes my fancy is exactly what I've always wanted to do.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Bonus trivia: Zuul babies are literally hostile little weasel-rats that eat anything and everything. As they grow the males attain sentience and rudimentary psychic powers while the females grow into lumbering brutes that are used solely for breeding and as shock troops because they actually aren't any more intelligent than canines. They are also born in gigantic litters and have a very high mortality rate (mostly due to violence) and adult males form what is best described as a master/apprentice relationship comparable to the Sith where the young apprentices will gladly eat their master at first opportunity and usurp his harems.

All Zuul technology has been "ripped" from the minds of their captives, even their social structure which is based off the Spanish Inquisition (no joke).

And they were engineered to be this way.
Also, doesn't each male Zuul have a harem of females that he basically controls like appendages with telepathy?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Stellaris is looking like it could be a pretty solid platform for an Emperor of the Fading Suns remake mod, the prospect of which makes me giddy.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Takanago posted:

today's World War Wednesday

Kind of a mindfuck to see someone deliberately picking Grand Battleplan :haw:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm a little worried by that last World War Wednesday actually. Germany declared war on Poland and didn't do anything. Neither side's divisions moved for like a year. (then the player quit)

Later, Finland conquered Moscow on their own.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Kind of a mindfuck to see someone deliberately picking Grand Battleplan :haw:

It really does seem like it has some competitive bonuses. The maximum planning increase, if planning is as important as it seems to be, could be huge.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Aethernet posted:

From what I recall, it was another Suul'ka. There were 7 of them.

Alternatively, given the wiki's description is 'The Beginning of the End', to Kerberos it was probably the SOTS 2 launch executable.

only good thing to come from that game:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Gort posted:

I'm a little worried by that last World War Wednesday actually. Germany declared war on Poland and didn't do anything. Neither side's divisions moved for like a year. (then the player quit)

I rate this game 8/10 Steppe Wolves

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

Bit unrealistic that it took so long.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Gort posted:

Uh oh.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Gort posted:

Yeah, may have just been a fluke or something but there's obviously some poor decision making going on by the AI there.

The vid also kind of emphasizes something I don't like about HOI, which is spending 45 minutes playing the game on 4 speed, constantly picking techs to research, waiting for something to actually happen. Does this game have Tech Queuing of any sort? I feel like that would help a lot to just be able to queue up the next 3 things when you're obviously just firing straight down a line.

I'm interested in how the actual strategy in that scenario could have gone though. If you conquer enemy territory do you gain any immediate benefit out of it (like get use of their AA sites, factories, forts, and so on)? I'm mostly wondering if there's possibility of having a small war with a neighbor to grab a bunch of factories and then start making use of those to crank things out. Or if you do something like snipe Moscow as happened there, does that cause actual serious problems for the Soviets or do they just take it back a week later and everything is fine?

Looking at that Leningrad fiasco, I guess even if he cut off their supply from land, they're still adjacent to water so they'd still probably be in decent supply. Would it be sufficient to take all the ports along the gulf to shut that down? Or would he need to establish a naval presence as well? I suppose that's also assuming Leningrad isn't producing enough supply of it's own to hold out too, since there is a base level for big cities.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
He never cut Leningrad off completely. He left a little bit to the North-west open, which gave me conniptions.

It likely wouldn't have helped, but still.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wiz mentioned he's temporarily working on HoI4 now and he's built a completely new AI framework for future games, starting with HoI4 and Stellaris. It's not surprising for bugs to occasionally render parts of it nonfunctional if they're still making big changes.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Hadn't the trots taken over in the WWW stream? Explains a lot.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Gort posted:

He never cut Leningrad off completely. He left a little bit to the North-west open, which gave me conniptions.

It likely wouldn't have helped, but still.

Yeah that's what I was asking. Had he even done that, how much supply could they have provided via sea or how much does the city itself provide?

Actually that sort of hits on another problem from earlier I was having. Since division size seems to be variable (considering you can add/remove/change stuff in the designer), does that mean supply consumption is variable per division too? They said they made it easy to tell supply usage so I'm guessing this is something that's really obvious once you actually get your hands on it, but I couldn't tell by looking at the video. I guess you would hover over the province and see 'N supply usage from 15 divisions, X supply from city, Y supply from land, Z supply from sea."

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Was the AI turned off in that stream? It looked like the Spanish borders hadn't changed since the SCW fired...

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Leningrad is in the wrong place. Not as bad as Stalingrad in HoI3, but it is pretty clearly in the wrong place.

Stream:

Period map:

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
Is HoI3 worth playing? I've got everything for it, but when I got around to it the OoB stuff made zero sense to me as did the ai managed theatre poo poo and so I stopped playing it and returned to Darkest Hour. Anyways, is it actually worth trying to learn or nah? Bonus: post a quality aar if you're feeling generous.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

8bitlawd posted:

Is HoI3 worth playing? I've got everything for it, but when I got around to it the OoB stuff made zero sense to me as did the ai managed theatre poo poo and so I stopped playing it and returned to Darkest Hour. Anyways, is it actually worth trying to learn or nah? Bonus: post a quality aar if you're feeling generous.

No.

Best AAR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LamgAfVj980

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

8bitlawd posted:

If you play as a medium power, then you armies will stay small enough to manage sensibly and the game handles well, but then you're stuck relying on whatever AI's on your side to do the heavy lifting and they will always gently caress up. In the time it'd take to get into it, HoI4 will be out and it already looks far better in every way.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The best thing about these war wednesdays is they're showing developers playing it without 5 hours of set-up. like the game looks sensible and actually fun to play.

Too bad most of the middle and small powers have the same idea tree, but that could be fleshed out like EU4 idea groups were over time.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Leningrad is in the wrong place. Not as bad as Stalingrad in HoI3, but it is pretty clearly in the wrong place.

Stream:

Period map:

:raise:

They're doing this on purpose. They're trolling us. They've got to be.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The British Isles floated off way away from the continent too. The map graphics this time around look gorgeous but there are some bizarre decisions for the actual geography.

e: at least with Britain having more space in the channel could make Sealion/Battle of Britain more fleshed out I guess, whereas that Leningrad is just strange.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Koramei posted:

The British Isles floated off way away from the continent too. The map graphics this time around look gorgeous but there are some bizarre decisions for the actual geography.

e: at least with Britain having more space in the channel could make Sealion/Battle of Britain more fleshed out I guess, whereas that Leningrad is just strange.

Kind of like how Europe in DH is larger than it is IRL to allow for a higher province density.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
They said the UK positioning was explicitly gameplay inspired. Channel positioning for slowing a sea lion landing, as well as affecting the way ship missions interact with the area.

I honestly don't see what you guys are saying about Leningrad. It looks like it's placed slightly south to the degree that would matter exactly zero on a strategic scale.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

MilkmanLuke posted:

They said the UK positioning was explicitly gameplay inspired. Channel positioning for slowing a sea lion landing, as well as affecting the way ship missions interact with the area.

I honestly don't see what you guys are saying about Leningrad. It looks like it's placed slightly south to the degree that would matter exactly zero on a strategic scale.

Grrrr you don't understand! I've dedicated my misspent youth to memorizing Cold War era terrain contour matching maps and this slight difference is completely ruining my immersion! :argh:

Seriously though it's a hell of a lot better than what HOI3 shipped with.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 17, 2015

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think what's happening is that the Neva is on the map as a terrain feature, but since the city straddles it, it's technically in both provinces north and south of the delta. I can see buildings in the province just north of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

dublish posted:

Was the AI turned off in that stream? It looked like the Spanish borders hadn't changed since the SCW fired...

No nation actually moved its troops at all.